• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I liked when he was slippery

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
I LOVED Captain Falcon in Smash 4. Despite the negative general opinion on that game, it did Cap justice. Running was very ‘slippery’ in Smash 4 and it really helped C. Falcon.

For example, you could sprint through an opponent, then flick the stick backwards while grabbing and Captain would grip them while sliding towards the ledge. Follow that up with a back throw and you’ve got a great way to bring an opponent from center stage to off-stage in the blink of an eye. His rushdown game benefited big time from this mechanic.

Captain Falcon was competitively viable in Smash 4 thanks to the slippery ground movement engine that gave him advantages over the rest of the cast. He stinks in the first 3 smash games without it.

I miss the slippery Falcon whose grab game looked like Disney on Ice.

What do you guys think? Do Ultimate’s more rigid movement mechanics hurt Falcon, or is there a beneficial aspect of the new engine that I’m missing?

WumboTheSecond

Thief of Hearts
I think it gives Falcon mains a new way to play. Changes like this revitalize the roster in my opinion. You have to relearn how to move with Falcon and possibly find even more techniques than the one you mentioned

ccllr

Smash Cadet
I don't like how he feels now either. But as every other character and every other Smash iteration, it's all about getting used to it

Shieldlesscap

Smash Apprentice
I liked slippery Falcon but I feel like because of his new tools, Ultimate Falcon is better overall, especially in the air. That said, ideally he’d still have sliding grabs and idk, have rolls store your momentum so that roll cancel boost grabs could do old Falcon Pivot grabs? But that’d be broken

As for how his movement actually benefits him, in theory it does because extra movement + ftilt = solid pokes, and jabs = way better, but in practice, because he has a 7-frame turnaround animation when most characters start moving around after only 4 frames, and his dash animation limits when you can turn around (Characters can’t turn around if they aren’t touching the ground, and Falcon isn’t touching it for the majority of his dash animation, plus you have to buffer it because by the time his leg touches the ground for the first time you’re already in the running animation), he doesn’t benefit from it nearly as much as he should. I don’t see his dash animation being changed but at least speeding up his turnaround animation would be great for his mobility.

Last edited:

BitBitio

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon was competitively viable in Smash 4 thanks to the slippery ground movement engine that gave him advantages over the rest of the cast. He stinks in the first 3 smash games without it.
What are you talking about? Yeah, his sliding in Sm4sh was dope, but he was actually high tier in Melee and 64. In Brawl, he does suck, but aside from that, he’s fine without it. Otherwise he wouldn’t be the third best in 64 and the eighth best in Melee.
That said, he could still be viable in Ultimate thanks to new options out of a dash and reduced landing lag.

Also, sorry for the necro

Last edited:
Top Bottom