• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I liked to play Ganondorf more when he wasn't good

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
It was done most likely because so many other characters filled the roll, and Ganon needed something to actually compensate for the lack of range he had, even if giving him sweeping attacks is "against muh Ganondorf theme".
How many characters are heavy-weighted equipped with a wide variety of combos? Ganondorf used to be the only one. They made him another generic heavy. Now the closest thing we have to that is :ultdk:, who doesn't even have Ding Dong anymore...

Also, it wasn't really his range that was hindering him, it was his lack of approach options. I highly encourage you to actually play the character before posting again.

He doesn't need a projectile or a deflect. His main role is to be a dominating presence on stage but suffer from a lack of speed and horizontal recovery.
Giving Ganondorf an approach option would help him get in easier and get up close for those meaty elbow attacks and combos. I fully endorse the projectile idea.

By his logic, the change wouldn't fit with Ganon at all.
I actually disagree with him in that case. Human form Ganon commonly uses magic instead of raw power, hell, there was an entire boss fight where he was just sitting back and controlling Zelda as a meat puppet to do the dirty work.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People are only using him because the philosophy behind the character has changed completely.

Buffing Ganondorf by giving him big sweeping smash attacks is not what Ganondorf had been at all... ever.

When I say I liked Ganondorf more when he was bad does not mean I want him to be bad, I just want him to be good in a different kind of way. You come off as hostile and toxic by jumping to conclusions based on assumptions. Mellow down buddy.
Answer me this: why do you care about the reason why people you don't know pick a character like Ganondorf?
And if this is case, then oh boy, you have bigger problems then.

The new Smash attacks are just the tip of the iceberg, Ganon was made better thanks to his mobility increase and ending lag reduction on his attacks. That plays a more vital role in his current viability.

And what has Ganondorf being before? And what about his new smash attacks stop making him be so?

Also, what gives you the right to decide what is best for him in the way you say it? What makes your word more valuable than the people who actually made the character and the ones who implemented him in this game?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
People are only using him because the philosophy behind the character has changed completely.
I mean... I'm using him because I've always used him and I love him more than ever before because he's not totally useless in competitive.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice

Not really, he's still this lumbering hulk of a character, who can kill of a couple of reads, but now he has more range (it's not like he has even better range in his games with dark magic). And you cannot draw parallels to Melee Ganon and his "combos". That game is entirely different and so insanely fast, that any character could combo by incorporating the right techniques. Superheavies aren't supposed to be combo characters at all. Now if Ganon got fast, disjointed sword attacks, it would make sense to not like that, since it does go against the general norm of Superheavies and Ganon. Finally, who cares if the character was the same for 18 years? Most people (myself included) believe that changing up Ganon is a welcome addition, especially he's just been a Falcon clone for so long. Now he has something more unique.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
How many characters are heavy-weighted equipped with a wide variety of combos? Ganondorf used to be the only one. They made him another generic heavy. Now the closest thing we have to that is :ultdk:, who doesn't even have Ding Dong anymore...
At the cost of other heavys getting combo variety of their own? I'd say it's a fair trade (but that's just me being a heavy fan)

Also, it wasn't really his range that was hindering him, it was his lack of approach options. I highly encourage you to actually play the character before posting again.
It could be better, but I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the main point. Most heavy-superheavys have this exact problem, and Ganon, though few options he has, isn't totally defenseless when it comes to approaching. Be more reactionary on a reactionary character.

And be more witty.

Giving Ganondorf an approach option would help him get in easier and get up close for those meaty elbow attacks and combos. I fully endorse the projectile idea.
MaddaD said:
Be more reactionary on a reactionary character.

I actually disagree with him in that case. Human form Ganon commonly uses magic instead of raw power, hell, there was an entire boss fight where he was just sitting back and controlling Zelda as a meat puppet to do the dirty work.
I never really did get this argument when brought up against all characters when it came for moves. Because watch this:
There have been multiple entries in the series where Ganon fights using a sword, rather than relying primarily on magic (WW, OoT, etc.)
Poof! Neither side has any advantage over one another.

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
Answer me this: why do you care about the reason why people you don't know pick a character like Ganondorf?
And if this is case, then oh boy, you have bigger problems then.
I just thought it was worth mentioning that there was a massive spike in Ganondorf players online, who use smash attacks more than any other move. It's just how people are playing the character now.

The new Smash attacks are just the tip of the iceberg, Ganon was made better thanks to his mobility increase and ending lag reduction on his attacks. That plays a more vital role in his current viability.
Ganon's jab didn't change.
Ganon's grab was nerfed and comes out 1 frame slower.
The only aerial that changed was up-air. It used to come out frame 6 and rotate 225° , now it comes out frame 8 and rotates only 180°
Ganon's running speed was not changed.
Every character got landing lag buffs on their moves by around 5 frames to keep up with the new pace of the game.

And what has Ganondorf being before? And what about his new smash attacks stop making him be so?
Ganondorf was a slow, sluggish combo character. Ganondorf is not a combo character anymore. The smash attacks represent a change in philosophy behind Ganondorf at Nintendo.

Also, what gives you the right to decide what is best for him in the way you say it? What makes your word more valuable than the people who actually made the character and the ones who implemented him in this game?
Nothing does. If Nintendo feels like Ganondorf is not what he used to be, obviously I can't change much. What was the point of this? I just say what I think is best for one of my favorite Smash characters.

Last edited:

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
And you cannot draw parallels to Melee Ganon and his "combos"
Even Smash 4 Ganon had some crazy combos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMtiLa9s3Bw&t=30s

Superheavies aren't supposed to be combo characters at all.
Why not?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYME2Fm6g9I
Ganon is around the same weight as Incineroar.
Finally, who cares if the character was the same for 18 years?
Depends if you've gotten attached to what Ganon was before. You probably didn't love him at his worst.

Now the closest thing we have to that is :ultdk:, who doesn't even have Ding Dong anymore...
ALSO I TAKE THIS BACK. It's :ultincineroar: which is more combo equipped than all the other heavies.

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
At the cost of other heavys getting combo variety of their own? I'd say it's a fair trade (but that's just me being a heavy fan)
All the other heavy's combos feel super toned down compared to Ganon's in Sm4sh.

It could be better, but I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the main point. Most heavy-superheavys have this exact problem, and Ganon, though few options he has, isn't totally defenseless when it comes to approaching. Be more reactionary on a reactionary character.

And be more witty.
:ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultincineroar: :ultridley:don't really have too much a problem.
:ultbowser:does to a degree but he has good approach potions to make up for it.

In Ganon's case it is the worse. He could use a deflect or a projectile of some sort to make up for it. Warlock Punch is a useless move and a waste of a special. Also, maybe buff Wizard Kick? It has potential to be a good approach but it doesn't really work most of the time.

Sorry... I just had to. No hard feelings.

Poof! Neither side has any advantage over one another.
Yep.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I just thought it was worth mentioning that there was a massive spike in Ganondorf players online, who use smash attacks more than any other move. It's just how people are playing the character now.
Yeah but this happened with Smash 4 and people trying to get some disrespect clips with Ganondorf.
Ganondorf was a slow, sluggish combo character. Ganondorf is not a combo character anymore. The smash attacks represent a change in philosophy behind Ganondorf at Nintendo.
...Why are you bringing up Smash attacks with combo's? Smash attacks aren't ment to be combos, especially with heavy hitters like Ganon.

Gobthor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3201-4105-0939
Yeah but this happened with Smash 4 and people trying to get some disrespect clips with Ganondorf.
Actually, Ganondorf punishing with combos was how the character was played at a competitive level. He was a walking disrespect clip.

...Why are you bringing up Smash attacks with combo's? Smash attacks aren't ment to be combos, especially with heavy hitters like Ganon.
Why do a combo when you can swing your sword for 30% and probably get a free kill? Ganon's up-smash was one of the best if not the best combo-able smash attack in Smash 4.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Ok, and this is a problem people should care about because?
If they know how to play him, they'll give me a decent fight, if they are Smash attack spammers then they are an easy win. But why should be judging others by who they play as? This line from your OP caught my eye:

It's crazy to me how Ganondorf players went from arguably the most respected to some of the most hated due to the newbies associated with them, and they are associated for good reason... they're taking over the character!
Only insecure people act as if others are "taking over" their character. You are not the first nor last Ganondorf player on the planet. And you were not respected by default by picking Ganondorf before. Respect has to be earned. You are respected by being skilled with a character, period.

Semi clone or not, Ganondorf has always been a popular pick and they appear not more often than they did in Smash 4.

Ganon's jab didn't change.
Ganon's grab was nerfed and comes out 1 frame slower.
The only aerial that changed was up-air. It used to come out frame 6 and rotate 225° , now it comes out frame 8 and rotates only 180°
Ganon's running speed was not changed.
Every character got landing lag buffs on their moves by around 5 frames to keep up with the new pace of the game.
Wrong.

Taken from the wiki:

• Neutral attack deals more damage and no longer has sourspots (8%/10%/6% → 11%).
  • It has slightly less ending lag (FAF 29 → 27). So it comes out at frame 7 instead of 8.
  • F tilt deals more damage.
  • Dash Attack deals more damage with high knockback scaling. And because of faster jumpsquat, it is easier to combo.
  • Ganondorf dashes slightly faster (1.218 → 1.34), being nearly as fast as he was in Melee.
  • Ganondorf walks slightly faster (0.73 → 0.767), being slightly faster than he was in Melee.
  • Ganondorf's traction is higher (0.068 → 0.125).
  • Ganondorf's air is slightly higher (0.79 → 0.83), being nearly as fast as he was in Brawl.
  • His weight went from 113 to 118.
  • Neutral aerial landing lag: 17 frames → 10.
  • Forward aerial: 22 → 13. Auto-cancels earlier (frame 55 → 45).
  • Back aerial: 19 → 11.
  • Down aerial: 26 → 16. And since opponents can now longer tech grounded meteor smashes, this allows for potential follow ups. In some cases, Dair can be followed by an Usmash.
  • Flame Choke no longer causes Ganon to go over the edge. It has also has endlag, with the ground version going from 62 to 58 FAF.
  • Dark Dive deals more damage and can KO earlier.
  • Wizard's Foot comes out faster and has less ending lag.

Additional references: https://ultimateframedata.com/ganondorf.php

There are some nerfs but the buffs greatly outweigh them. Uair no longer has the late hitbox, but is still a good move. His grab comes out slower but so does almost everybody else's.
And while the faster jumpsquats animation and landing lag reduction were universal changes, this benefits some characters more than others. And Ganondorf is one of those. The mechanical changes were an indirect buff to him.

And see how I didn't even go into his Smash attacks? That's because, like I said, they are the tip of the iceberg. Ganon's everything got buffed and that contributed to him being a superior character than his Smash 4 incarnation. For someone who claims to understand the character, your unawareness in this area comes as a surprise. This raises a red flag.

You seem to think that Ganon's aerials are pointless and that his most of his style is just Usmash till his opponent is dead, so I question your knowledge of the matchup.

So Ganondorf went from king of disrespect who punishes stupid mistakes to being a combo character now? Interesting.

Couple of points here:
Ganondorf has always had some combos, including in Ultimate. That doesn't make him a combo character in the same way Mario, Sheik or Joker are. His combo potential is less than Captain Falcon's.
Most characters have a few combos to work with anyways. Even heavy hard hitters like Bowser, Dedede, Piranha Plant and Ridley. But nobody would think to classify them as combo characters. Same as Ganon.

Also, several characters lost some of their combo potential in Ultimate, so Ganondorf isn't the only one affected. Footstool combos are less effective than they were in 4 for everyone.

And finally, Ganondorf still has a few combos to work with. And if you haven't seen Ganon combos, then that just shows you haven't put work into him or haven't look hard enough.

Also something from earlier I didn't address
When I say I liked Ganondorf more when he was bad does not mean I want him to be bad, I just want him to be good in a different kind of way.
The title for your thread is "I liked to play Ganondorf more when he wasn't good", which clearly implies that you prefer him to be bad over what he is now. So you'll have to forgive me for understanding the point the way I did.

Nothing does. If Nintendo feels like Ganondorf is not what he used to be, obviously I can't change much. What was the point of this? I just say what I think is best for one of my favorite Smash characters.
The point I'm getting at is that you liking a character doesn't necessarily mean you have a good judge of character to decide what's best for him or her. People don't often discuss the darker aspects of being a fan; that word is derived from fanatic which means "a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause".

And I wouldn't bother bringing this up if you at least had some convincing basis of why you think Ganondorf is worse now than he was before. But it's never a straight answer, just some wishy washy bull**** philosophy that you want to impose on the character, even it that makes him objectively worse. You speak merely on feelings, not facts, projecting yourself on the character too much by feeding into your insecurities ("oh no! they are taking over my character!").
You try to tell us what playstyle he should have, and any attempts at elaboration devolve into the non-gameplay concept of "king of disrespect". Imaging that. You can put a label on most characters to accurately describe their playstyle; Sheik is a combo fiend, Link is a ranged zoner, Snake is a trap master strong close combat options, and then you get to Ganondorf who is a king of disrespect... which does nothing to describe him. That's not an archetype.

Then you romanticize Ganondorf's past iterations. Way too much. Quillion has constantly done that arguing that his new moves don't fit his style. And it comes off as zealot speech more than anything.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, as one whose mained Ganondorf since at least Brawl, this topic just comes off as something of an inferiority complex to me, for lack of better word, though I can respect any differing opinions and understand maybe missing a thing or two about the previous iteration of Ganondorf, but still, I would never go back to it now.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Ryu Myuutsu basically summed up everything I was thinking in a well-written post.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Lmao at all this talk of "themes". If Ganondorf ever had a theme it was one of a character who was added in at the last minute because he happened to be shaped like a fighter already on the roster, grandfathering in a moveset that never belonged on him and never will. Landing his new smash attacks is more satisfying than those old smash attacks ever were. His old up smash looked especially stupid on him.

It's not about "changing what the character's been all about for 18 years". It's about fixing a mistake that's been ignored for 18 years, even if it's only baby steps right now.

DatGanonDoe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3669-2463-7192
Ganondorf just doesn't feel like Ganondorf to me anymore.
Then play him differently? I have played Ganon exclusively since Melee (he's the only character I like) and I make a point to almost never run. It feels undignified to me for a Ganon to run.

No one else I've run into plays like me, and that's satisfying.

For skill reference, I enter and exit Elite Smash several times a day; I'm right on the cusp, but hold my own against most opponents without sacrificing my style.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Then play him differently? I have played Ganon exclusively since Melee (he's the only character I like) and I make a point to almost never run. It feels undignified to me for a Ganon to run.

No one else I've run into plays like me, and that's satisfying.

For skill reference, I enter and exit Elite Smash several times a day; I'm right on the cusp, but hold my own against most opponents without sacrificing my style.
The problem is that we can't use his awesome elbow and kicks anymore. Now we have to deal with that lame sword that only a vocal minority wanted.

Yes, the elbow and kicks were bad moves, but 1) they were still fun, and 2) they should have buffed those moves like the rest of Ganondorf's moveset outside the sword.

link2702

Smash Champion
No need to worry! At this point in smash ultimate’s metagame it’s safe to say he’s still lousy.

All the problems he had in the past are still there, and the few buffs he got don’t make much a difference because either they were the universal buffs everyone got and can utilize better than dorf, or they weren’t substantial enough to make ganon actually viable when everyone else got better buffs.

He’s still in need of a massive overhaul, giving him a sword for smashes ain’t it.

If overhauling him entirely to give him a moveset more inspired by his actual abilities in oot alienates some players, so be it, at this point it’s clear falcondorf just will never be viable, it’s time to scrap it and attempt something, ANYTHING, else.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
No need to worry! At this point in smash ultimate’s metagame it’s safe to say he’s still lousy.

All the problems he had in the past are still there, and the few buffs he got don’t make much a difference because either they were the universal buffs everyone got and can utilize better than dorf, or they weren’t substantial enough to make ganon actually viable when everyone else got better buffs.

He’s still in need of a massive overhaul, giving him a sword for smashes ain’t it.

If overhauling him entirely to give him a moveset more inspired by his actual abilities in oot alienates some players, so be it, at this point it’s clear falcondorf just will never be viable, it’s time to scrap it and attempt something, ANYTHING, else.
Look, this isn't about viability. It's about Ganondorf being fun to play as.

People who like to play Ganondorf largely don't give a damn about how viable he is at this point. There's just too much sentimentality to that moveset and its animations to just change it out for something that will inevitably alienate a lot of people.

Besides, can't they just make his old moves have better frame data and give him better mobility? That's a lot better than just changing the animations, and it's a lot less work on the devs.

link2702

Smash Champion
Look, this isn't about viability. It's about Ganondorf being fun to play as.

People who like to play Ganondorf largely don't give a damn about how viable he is at this point. There's just too much sentimentality to that moveset and its animations to just change it out for something that will inevitably alienate a lot of people.

Besides, can't they just make his old moves have better frame data and give him better mobility? That's a lot better than just changing the animations, and it's a lot less work on the devs.
Wrong, plenty of us are sick of him being trash and have been hoping he’d end up viable each new game only to be let down. We play him cuz we like the king of evil. We’ve hated how he’s been a falcon clone for years, we just tolerate it cuz we don’t want to ditch him.

Yes they could just keep tweaking his moveset to give better frame data, and hopefully they do throughout this game’s lifespan. But it’s still a flawed design overall, and you can’t make it still feel like “slower, harder hitting falcon” when the frame data gets good enough to rival falcons, and at that point who’s to say the same players as yourself still want to play him with all these changes? He wouldn’t “feel” like the ganon you currently like now either.

Again, if it alienates some of the folks who use him, well...too bad, there’ll be plenty more that flock to him to make up for it if he actually feels true to his actual character and not just “slow stronger falcon.” And just like plenty (such as myself) have stuck with him despite hating his falcondorf moveset, plenty will stick with him if they don’t like him having a moveset actually inspired by his own Zelda game appearances.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Good necro, king of evil.

As I said before though, Ganon's in a pretty good spot all things considered. His kit is outshined, but certainly commands that respect be given to it. Glad he's got a sword and has range instead of a stupid elbow now.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Many of us actually like the way Ganondorf plays. And he can very easily be made into a contender with his current moveset. You can argue that you'd personally like an overhaul, but he absolutely does not require one to be viable.

It also feels like every Ganondorf-as-a-character fan I hear from has a completely different, and completely unfounded on his game appearances, idea of how he "should" play in Smash, which leads me to the belief that even if they were to reimagine him completely, almost everyone would inevitably be dissatisfied because it wasn't their particular weird AU imagining of his moveset.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ultimate Ganondorf apparently has the most move sourspots out of any heavy, as well as some unfortunate blindspots with some of said moves, more than I’ve seen from other characters I use anyway. So don’t worry, he’s still not particularly good. The most fun he’s been since Melee though.

If previous changes like Gerudo Dragon getting replaced by Flame Choke for side special didn’t alienate previous players, I don’t see why the sword change for the smash attacks would. He’s still largely the same as he was before.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People have been saying that changing Ganondorf's moveset would alienate people for years, and it's happening now.
Ironically, you are in the minority when disputing Ganon's current moveset. Most people find his Ultimate version an improvement from previous ones, while you are literally the only one on this thread right now (and the only one of this entire forum alongside a few outliers like TC) who is fighting toe and nail to say that he is less fun than before. It's not the character, it's you.

Now, if you manage to poll everyone's opinions from places like this, GF, people on the street, etc. and popular perception happens to be aligned with yours, then I'll eat my words.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Glad he's got a sword and has range instead of a stupid elbow now.
If that elbow had Smash 4 U-Smash-like frames and/or super armor, you'd prefer it to a sword too.

Ironically, you are in the minority when disputing Ganon's current moveset. Most people find his Ultimate version an improvement from previous ones, while you are literally the only one on this thread right now (and the only one of this entire forum alongside a few outliers like TC) who is fighting toe and nail to say that he is less fun than before. It's not the character, it's you.

Now, if you manage to poll everyone's opinions from places like this, GF, people on the street, etc. and popular perception happens to be aligned with yours, then I'll eat my words.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: do not argumentum ad populum at me.

There's a good reason as to why people don't like movesets being changed. You wouldn't want Mario to use his hammer or Zelda to get her light arrows reworked as a regular special. People get attached to these movesets whether they are viable or not or whether they are "faithful to canon" or not.

It would be like if Ken suddenly wasn't a shoto in Street Fighter 6 or any future sequels.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
If that elbow had Smash 4 U-Smash-like frames and/or super armor, you'd prefer it to a sword too.
I actually wanted the sword since Melee, when he showed it off in his win screen. I always thought it was weird that he had a weapon in reserve but never used it, and instead just used hand to hand stuff. It didn't really suit him well, since Ganon's fought with a weapon in nearly every incarnation.

I'd gladly take power and reach over short range and super armor though, just my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
You wouldn't want Mario to use his hammer or Zelda to get her light arrows reworked as a regular special.
I would like both of these things, actually.

I'm all for small, especially weaker, parts of movesets being replaced with better and more canon-appropriate options gradually, on a game by game basis. I'm quite happy with how they're handling Ganondorf (even if I'm still not happy with his current viability).

Quillion

Smash Hero
It didn't really suit him well, since Ganon's fought with a weapon in nearly every incarnation.
Why do people act like this matters? Zelda lost her signature light arrow entirely without reworking it as a regular special, and people loved that.

And even then, Ganondorf has done hand-to-hand moves in his boss fights. He punched the ground in OoT, kicks in WW, and uses an elbow strike and kick in TP. That's a much better record than Mario only doing hand-to-hand in two games (SMRPG and 64).

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Why do people act like this matters? Zelda lost her signature light arrow entirely without reworking it as a regular special, and people loved that.
Because that's the best we have besides "a japanese man i don't know decided to change it for his own reason."

And even then, Ganondorf has done hand-to-hand moves in his boss fights. He punched the ground in OoT, kicks in WW, and uses an elbow strike and kick in TP.
And most of those games he used sword(s) to attack in all those listed games as well. This argument can go both ways!

That's a much better record than Mario only doing hand-to-hand in two games (SMRPG and 64).
Probably because Mario doesn't have a signature weapon in the mainline Mairo games, and Hammers/Fire Hand/Etc. were all equipment or special things given to him for RPG purposes.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Because that's the best we have besides "a japanese man i don't know decided to change it for his own reason."
Well, given that people like when Zelda loses her signature weapon, it just seems that "the best you have" is just an invalid argument.

And most of those games he used sword(s) to attack in all those listed games as well. This argument can go both ways!
None of those swords are remotely the same weapon besides the fact that "they're swords". They're used in different ways, so they're all effectively one-shot weapons.

Ganondorf's hand-to-hand moves are a more consistent part of his character than any of his weapons.

Probably because Mario doesn't have a signature weapon in the mainline Mario games, and Hammers/Fire Hand/Etc. were all equipment or special things given to him for RPG purposes.
1) Mario almost never uses melee combat in the mainline games anyway. So logically, they would need to draw from the spinoffs to fill in the gaps, yet no one wants them to do that.

2) I can still argue that Mario has his signature move in his stomp, yet no one minds when Doc gets the stomp instead of vanilla Mario himself.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

It is disheartening how Ganondorf misses the chance to get buffs/fixes with every notable patch, particularly this last update where every LoZ character but him got substantial buffs. Zelda can kill with f-tilt around 80% now, ffs.

But yeah, keep pretending Ganondorf is good after giving him a sword for a few moves and then calling it a day.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
>Ganon is the worst character in the game
>Little Mac, Bowser Jr, and arguably 2 other characters are commonly called the worst exist
Seems legit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Calling Ganon the #1 worst in the game is admittedly a stretch, but unless he gets some fixes somewhere down the line, is safe to say he’ll at least be down there with Dedede and Little Mac; bottom five or so.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Hardly. He's far from being an A tier, but I wouldn't put him in the bottom five anytime soon.

This is also depends on what you're basing your tiers off of.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Calling Ganon the #1 worst in the game is admittedly a stretch, but unless he gets some fixes somewhere down the line, is safe to say he’ll at least be down there with Dedede and Little Mac; bottom five or so.
Dedede is bad? That's news to me.

Anyways, the game is being supported at least until the end of 2021. There will be many chances for balance patches, but the author of that tweet seems to forget that.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Balance patches won't make Ganondorf any more fun unless they deign to bring back the elbow and kicks (buffed of course) and do away with that sword.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
But I'm having fun with Ganon currently :(

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
When you got the f-tilt which is already a close range punish, the old elbow f-smash which served mostly the same purpose just seemed redundant. I like my sword f-smash mid-range punish. :) The old and new d-smash are the most similar, though current d-smash has some utilities the old one didn't like being able to follow up after d-throw under certain conditions... And the old up kick u-smash doesn't even hold a candle to the new one, but I guess which moves were more fun is subjective.

Late reply on the patches part, but while there are still plenty updates/chances left for him to possibly get buffed, I kinda share others' skepticism. They may just be afraid of making Ganondorf anything more than a casual/noob stomper (what he was before Ultimate and what he still is now), as the right kind of buffs would make him legit OP. He's a trickier one to make better than the average character where balance is concerned, which is kinda why we're still having a divisive discussion about the sword to this day I guess.

Top Bottom