• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I liked the trailer...

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
I like the Trailer cause it fit the theme, pace, and atmosphere of an Animal Crossing game. Easy going and cute.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
My only complaints were that it dragged on a bit, and it lacked a crossover. It would have been nice if they had Yoshi or Kirby deliver the letter.

Other than that I had no problem with it. Like you said, it fit the Animal Crossing asthetic perfectly.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
They definitely should do more like it. Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer was in the artstyle of Fire Emblem Awakening's cutscenes, which was nice since we got to see what Robin looks like in that artstyle, since he was always mute, hooded, and mostly off-screen in some of them. There was also Palutena's reveal trailer, which was in the artstyle of Kid Icarus Uprising's cutscenes. At least, I think that's where the artstyle came from. I wouldn't know, I never played the game.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
They definitely should do more like it. Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer was in the artstyle of Fire Emblem Awakening's cutscenes, which was nice since we got to see what Robin looks like in that artstyle, since he was always mute, hooded, and mostly off-screen in some of them. There was also Palutena's reveal trailer, which was in the artstyle of Kid Icarus Uprising's cutscenes. At least, I think that's where the artstyle came from. I wouldn't know, I never played the game.
KIU didn't have cutscenes, but there were promotional animated shorts.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The trailer fit animal crossing perfectly to a T. If you look at it, every single trailer fits that series.

Inkling being an over the top action sport
Ridley being a dark, lonely atmosphere
Simon and Richter about monsters ans spooky atmosphere
And K Rool being pretty silly.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Only Luigi died.
It could be argued Mario and Megaman did.
No one died in Inkling nor K Rool's reveal, that was unquestionable.

It was a ridiculous claim before, and it still is ridiculous.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I liked it. I think getting the reveal early and waiting for Isabelle to figure it out was funny.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
at first I was concerned that Animal Crossing fans were getting teased with what could have potentially been a new Animal Crossing game, only to announce Isabelle in smash... But then they go and announce a new Animal Crossing game right after. Had this been a smash direct, the trailer might have been a little lame, but having Isabelle announced alongside a new Animal Crossing is literally the best case scenario we could have gotten.
I couldn't have been more happy with it.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Only Luigi died.
It could be argued Mario and Megaman did.
No one died in Inkling nor K Rool's reveal, that was unquestionable.

It was a ridiculous claim before, and it still is ridiculous.
Well we saw Luigi's spirit float away because he died on screen. Mario and MegaMan were swooped away, and DeDeDe may be dead after the encounter with K.Rool.

Isabelle trailer is an exception because it's a dual marketing piece for Animal Crossing Switch-- probably made in that engine. The only people who died in that trailer were fake leakers.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
The trailer fit the mood of Animal Crossing perfectly. Sure, it wasn't some high-octane hype trailer, but as a fan of AC, I found myself cheering and laughing, nonetheless.

I understand why others didn't enjoy it, especially if they aren't familiar with Animal Crossing. It's not like the reveal trailers up to this point weren't full of suspense and/or murder, haha. But the trailers up to this point have done a good job of incorporating aspects of the characters and their home games in their "plot", so it was inevitable that a trailer for an Animal Crossing newcomer would be slower-paced and cutesy.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
God, OP sounds so sarcastic...

For Isabelle, the trailer works perfectly. It fits well with the theming of Animal Crossing. However, as a non fan, it was just a slog to watch. Especially the lack of emotion of her voice in "They want me in Smash!," just.... I don't get.

The least interesting trailer to watch, but hey, you can't win them all.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I really enjoyed the trailer as well. Even though it was pretty obvious it was a smash trailer, there was just a little moment at the beginning where I thought it might've been Animal Crossing. Seeing Tom Nook finally introduce the new game at the end was really awesome too. It also explained how Isabelle made it and her reaction, and I found that pretty funny as well. Anyways, there's not really a lot they could've done to make it more suspenseful. It was a really cute trailer, and while I understand why others don't like it, I think it was the perfect way to introduce Isabelle to Smash.

D

Deleted member

While the trailer was good, it was also pretty 'anti-hype'. What I mean by that is that nothing about it was overtly exciting, it doesn't make you feel pumped, but that's also ok.

It was a lighthearted and kinda funny trailer, perfectly reflecting the style of Animal Crossing. Could they have done something like the Smash 4 reveal trailer? Sure, but that also had much less to go for it in terms of Animal Crossing and what Isabelle represents.

That aside, my only real qualm is that the intro cinematic will probably borrow a lot from the trailers. And the diversion in style will probably not do it any favors if it wants to top Melee's intro. It was pretty disappointing to see the same thing happen to Smash 4's intro, and it will probably be the same for this game as well. And, well, I don't see a lot of shots in Isa's trailer that could be used, apart from the gameplay section.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well we saw Luigi's spirit float away because he died on screen. Mario and MegaMan were swooped away, and DeDeDe may be dead after the encounter with K.Rool.
No. He isn't dead. That's just being attacked. This is a fighting game. If every move is 'killing,' then every trailer or commercial Smash has ever had killed off all the characters. This argument isn't sensible.

Isabelle trailer is an exception because it's a dual marketing piece for Animal Crossing Switch-- probably made in that engine. The only people who died in that trailer were fake leakers.
It's not an exception. No one died in the Inkling trailer. And Luigi's Mansions was *also* a dual advertisement. This argument also relies on being completely choice about congruency.

Top Bottom