• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

i like smash but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

i am idiot

Smash Rookie
smash is a series i do like, I've poured tons of hours into many of the games, brawl was my first game, just like how the Wii was my first console, i don't even like fighting games yet i love smash. but despite this, i feel the series is GREATLY over-hyped and over-praised, seriously. everybody keeps on saying how "legendary" the series is, okay what makes it so "legendary"? is it the novelty of having all these Nintendo characters together? if so, wouldn't the novelty have worn off by now? is it because it's been able to stay consistent in quality for the past 2 decades? well one thing you have to keep in mind is that there have only been 6 games in the series, not to mention there are plenty of series other than smash that have been able to keep a consistent streak in quality, Kirby, Mario kart, donkey Kong country, all these series have had consistently good games for far longer than smash ever has, not to mention the only reason smash got more games in the first place is because Nintendo forced Sakurai to make more. all of the astronomical praise and special treatment smash gets comes across as more of a circle-jerk to me more than anything. pretty much every Nintendo direct MUST feature smash according to the fans, dude, the world doesn't revolve around smash, Nintendo doesn't revolve around smash and never will, it's not Nintendo's biggest system seller, and it's not the only franchise worthy of praise! i don't think the series itself is bad, i just think the quality of the games is blown WAY out of proportion, i seriously cannot think of another series that gets the same amount of praise and special treatment that smash does.

I've been keeping quiet about these opinions since i figured i would get backlash with phrases such as "you're to blind and/or stupid to see why the series is so legendary" "you're not a true Nintendo fan" and i know i will probably make quite a number of smash fans angry, but in all honesty, i don't care, i just wanted to get these opinions out of my system. maybe i should just take a break from smash and actually TRY to acknowledge other series existence, unlike the smash fandom.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Smash Bros. is the only real success story about video game companies coming together to please fans instead of hoarding their properties like greedy cash grubs. It's a beacon of fanservice in a sea of corporate greed and aloof business decisions by CEO's who don't even play video games.

That we don't have more crossovers despite the obvious success of Smash is a testament to Japanese corporate culture and its philosophy of absolutely, pigheadedly refusing to share IP's.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
If it means anything, I've heard this phrase time and time again, and it's always brought me joy in the darkest of times. I offer it now, to you, in hopes that it will answer some questions you may have.

"Super Smash Brothers is a better Playstation All-Stars than Playstation All-Stars."

On Topic: I can see your (very blue) point and frustrations about Smash from the view of somebody who has absolutely no interest in the series. Unfortunately, Smash is ultimately (get it?) a flagship series for Nintendo at this point, and is one of the most well known fighting game IPs. Sadly, much like every recurring game fanbase, it's got its fair share of people who will gatekeep, utter blind praise, etc. My advice is to take a break from Smash for a while and focus your efforts onto another game that you enjoy.

Also:

not to mention there are plenty of series other than smash that have been able to keep a consistent streak in quality, Kirby, Mario kart, donkey Kong country, all these series have had consistently good games for far longer than smash ever has
I lol'd

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Who keeps saying SSB is legendary? Novelty might not be what makes SSB worthy of praise. People seem to enjoy cross-overs. Batman teaming up with Superman? Batman and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? The Justice League and Power Rangers? DC and Marvel? People who are fans of different series' probably like the idea of having their favorites teaming up or fighting each other.

Regarding consistent streaks, all you're doing is showing other titles that have such consistency. It doesn't downplay SSB, since it's another title sharing such streak. As for Sakurai being forced to make more games, I suspect this occurs more often than people think, and it's not restricted only to SSB. It sounds to me like you're sour about people praising a series they enjoy. Well, objects only have value when humans impose value onto those objects. Let it go and let people enjoy their favorite series.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
How do you all read that blue on black text? It's like impossible.
You take Graphic Design for 5 years. Some of the stuff that gets thrown around for warm ups and critique make your eyes bleed enough that they get used to bad color combinations

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Smash is a great title, but honestly the Switch could have survived without it. It’s a great game, but BOTW, Odessey, Splatoon 2, and even some of the ports keep me playing more so than Smash does.

I see the Switch as the first Nintendo console that I felt could go without a Smash title.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
is it because it's been able to stay consistent in quality for the past 2 decades?
I'd say this is one of the bigger reasons. People have minor gripes, but there has never been an objectively bad Smash game. Yeah, 64 didn't age very well, but for its time, it was monumental. Smash created a new fighter subgenre that appeals to millions more than standard 2d fighters, because it's more original, it's a lot easier, and you can play with more than 2 people at a time.

People also love Nintendo characters, love crossovers, and love nostalgia. The last one helps boost it a lot.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Brawl. Just Brawl.
Brawl was not a bad game. Look at the game as a whole and not just the competitive aspect, or the knee-jerk conclusions people online hivemind based on others' opinions of the competitive aspect. It was pretty phenomenal for its time. Arguably better than Smash 4.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You're free to think what you want. IMO Smash 4 felt like an incomplete game, because it was split so hard between the Wii U and 3DS, and held back by the 3DS' limited capabilities. If you wanted a complete experience, you needed to buy both versions. And buying a Wii U was basically buying a dedicated Smash console for many, since it was pretty terrible otherwise. Ultimate feels like what Smash 4 should have been. Brawl still feels like its own unique entity. I had a lot more disappointment moving from Brawl to Ultimate due to it being stripped of many features that made Brawl as a whole, great. Custom moves could have been great, but they made them so time consuming to unlock. Single player modes being stripped down or totally stripped out, kind of killed the extra replay value you formerly had beyond the core multiplayer mode.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this any further so I'll leave it at that.

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Brawl was not a bad game. Look at the game as a whole and not just the competitive aspect, or the knee-jerk conclusions people online hivemind based on others' opinions of the competitive aspect. It was pretty phenomenal for its time. Arguably better than Smash 4.
I have, and let me tell ya, it's probably a contender for the worst entry in the series.

Arguably better than Smash 4.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Rant threads are not considered to be thread-worthy. I will be closing this. If you have any questions, feel free to private message me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom