• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Know Who I'm ROOTing For! Whispy Woods for Smash!

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice

The iconic first boss of the Kirby series. Having been here since the very beginning in Kirby's Dream Land where he stood in Kirby's way as the boss of Green Greens. Kirby may always beat him, but time and time again Whispy comes back without fail, must be his sturdy and unmovable resolve! Whispy has a ton of presence in Kirby, being in nearly every single Kirby game making him recognizable to hardcore and casual Kirby fans alike. He's even recognizable to Smash fans! Having appeared on Dream Land stage in Smash 64, Melee, and Wii U/3DS, and having appeared on Green Greens stage in Melee, Brawl, both stages also return in Ultimate!

Some may be quick to point out that Whispy Woods is a tree and cannot move, however to that I would direct them to Kirby's Dream Land 3, where he demonstrated the ability to uproot himself and walk!

On top of having the basic ability to move, Whispy can also attack with his roots, his apples, and puffs of wind he spits out, while his sturdy body makes smashing him quite a difficult challenge!

I actually made an entire moveset for him a couple years back but for the sake of keeping this simple and short, I'm just gonna look over specials and you can use your imagination for the rest.

Up special (Root-copter): Whispy Woods extends all his roots out and spins around very fast, granting him liftoff and injuring anyone who touches him.

Down special (Planting): Whispy Woods plants himself into the ground, granting him super armor and making him imovable until he runs out of super armor, in which he case will go into stun. While planted Whispy can only use Neutral special (Apple), side special (Surprise!) and by pressing the A button he can spit out puffs of air that auto aim at opponents. Whispy can uproot again by either inputting down special or by jumping. Uprooting takes awhile, and while you can jump out of it instead, you will suffer extra cooldown upon landing if you do. By using this move in the air, you can plummet straight down as an attack, spiking anyone directly beneath you and landing with a hard "THUD!" that knocks opponents away while you settle in your roots.

Side special (Surprise!): Whispy Woods plants a root into the ground, which pops out and injures opponents. While uprooted the root is fast and will travel a set distance, however while planted you can control the root while it's still underground, and can spring it by pressing the button again.

Neutral special (Apple): Whispy Woods grows an apple. An apple stays on Whispy for about one and a half seconds before dropping, once they drop they'll bounce across the floor and injure enemies they come into contact with. Whispy can grow three apples at a time.

So, let me know what you think. I know Whispy isn't a popular at all but I think it'd be really fun if he got in. Thanks for reading and I hope Whispy has your support!

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
....Honestly, sign me up. This sounds absurd and rediculous, but it’s just my kind of absurd and rediculous.

He might be a bit too big though. :c

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
....Honestly, sign me up. This sounds absurd and rediculous, but it’s just my kind of absurd and rediculous.

He might be a bit too big though. :c
Whispy Woods has been known to change his size in canon, so that shouldn't be a problem. He'd probably become the tallest character in the game though!

Zeox

Smash Champion
This is stupid and I am 99% sure he would never be in Smash... But I totally wouldn't mind having him, in fact it would be hilarious playing as a big angry walking tree, so I love this, I support it.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Whispy Woods has been known to change his size in canon, so that shouldn't be a problem. He'd probably become the tallest character in the game though!
Not doubting you, but can you give any specific examples of Whispy changing his size? He always seems about the same in the games I’ve played, but I’m not really a Kirby aficionado.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Not doubting you, but can you give any specific examples of Whispy changing his size? He always seems about the same in the games I’ve played, but I’m not really a Kirby aficionado.
Sure thing! I'll direct you to his boss fight in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, where he changes size upon reaching half health

Now granted in RtD specifically I do recall it's a trend among bosses to increase in size upon reaching half heath, but nevertheless, Whispy Woods size and body shape has been inconsistent. Just look at how skinny and upright Whispy is in Dream Land 2 compared to this one in Planet Robobot's Team Kirby Clash!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'll be honest, this seems like a return to the 'too big' argument, but even if he does scale there's still issues. He's going to have a ridiculously top heavy hitbox, or at least be very wide to accomodate the foliage. While I'm of the opinion that no character is impossible to create a full movelist for if you have enough imagination I also think that balancing a wild moveset that comes from needing to be imaginative can also be a pain.

I think he's much better suited to remaining a stage hazzard, and being included for the sake of being a playable character only leads to disappointment when you discover the concessions that had to come to make them playable.

Sure thing! I'll direct you to his boss fight in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, where he changes size upon reaching half health
Right, but that's not the direction we were looking for. There's no examples of him being smaller than most of the screen.

Last edited:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, this seems like a return to the 'too big' argument, but even if he does scale there's still issues. He's going to have a ridiculously top heavy hitbox, or at least be very wide to accomodate the foliage. While I'm of the opinion that no character is impossible to create a full movelist for if you have enough imagination I also think that balancing a wild moveset that comes from needing to be imaginative can also be a pain.

I think he's much better suited to remaining a stage hazzard, and being included for the sake of being a playable character only leads to disappointment when you discover the concessions that had to come to make them playable.

Right, but that's not the direction we were looking for. There's no examples of him being smaller than most of the screen.
This is an interesting perspective. I'd prefer not to get into a size argument since it's 2018 and if you're opinion hasn't been swayed already it's probably not changing. And I'm not sure I have much to say regarding his hitbox, there's a lot of characters in Smash with incredibly varying hitboxes (Kirby and Jigglypuff can literally duck under most attack), so I'm sure it could be worked around.

As for the moveset, as I said in the thread starter I did actually come up with an entire moveset for Whispy with the exception of general polish such as getups, taunts, victory poses, ect. That was unfortunately on Miiverse so I no longer have it on me but it mostly consisted of attacks in which he would extend his roots and swing them as well as some moves where he would attack with his body. I could probably write it down and share it with you if you'd like, but I'll warn you right here it's not a very good read, I kinda suck at explanation, and again it's mostly just root attacks so it's kinda a predictable read to, like "Oh it's f-air, I wonder what this is gonna be. Oh of course he swings a root in front of him."

Personally, it would't be much skin off my back if they kept him a stage hazard. I think it'd be hilarious and awesome if they put him in but I understand were all your arguments are coming from.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
If you think about it, Whispy Woods has more in-game Smash appearances than Ridley (Ridley didn't appear in-game in Melee outside the opening and a trophy).

Screw it, this is my 'never-gonna-happen' character to support.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
If you think about it, Whispy Woods has more in-game Smash appearances than Ridley (Ridley didn't appear in-game in Melee outside the opening and a trophy).

Screw it, this is my 'never-gonna-happen' character to support.
Thanks for the support! With luck maybe one day Whispy will perhaps, possibly, maybe, potentially make it one day!

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
He is the character my brother wants most for smash, and he is really high on my wish list. He would be a very unique character and really fun to use the way I imagine him. Basically a heavy with moves similar to Ivysaur's vines only using roots.

Like with Ridley the "too big" argument is invalid because he can always be redesigned to fit better in smash . I imagine him looking similar to this image of Wispy Jr., roughly about the size of Bowser and Charizard. Maybe a little taller but not as wide.

Then he could grow to his full size and shake down a bunch of apples for his smash ball move.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
He is the character my brother wants most for smash, and he is really high on my wish list. He would be a very unique character and really fun to use the way I imagine him. Basically a heavy with moves similar to Ivysaur's vines only using roots.

Like with Ridley the "too big" argument is invalid because he can always be redesigned to fit better in smash . I imagine him looking similar to this image of Wispy Jr., roughly about the size of Bowser and Charizard. Maybe a little taller but not as wide.

Then he could grow to his full size and shake down a bunch of apples for his smash ball move.
Wow! This is the first time I've seen someone that wants Whispy without my convincing them. That's so cool!

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
He was in my top 10 I had posted in my sig. back when smash 4 was coming out. I want more fun/unusual characters, it killed me every time they announced another anime sword boy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This- I can’t even wrap my mind around how this would work long enough to think about the why.
But on the positive side, if Sakurai & friends do manage to make up a moveset for him, then he deserves to be in (or rather, we deserve to see it).

DuckHuntDork

Smash Rookie
NNID
TripleChin
3DS FC
1332-8230-8977
Switch FC
SW-5201-3372-9343
This sounds hilarious enough to be my most wanted character. Sign me up.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
Now THIS I wood have never seen coming. I guess I'll support. After all, I am a total sap when it comes to the Kirby franchise.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm a fan of the idea of Whispy actually being a fighter, so I went ahead and drafted up a moveset for him. Definitely count me in as a supporter as well!

Whispy Woods Moveset.jpg

Feel free to use the image in OP if you'd like!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

The iconic first boss of the Kirby series. Having been here since the very beginning in Kirby's Dream Land where he stood in Kirby's way as the boss of Green Greens. Kirby may always beat him, but time and time again Whispy comes back without fail, must be his sturdy and unmovable resolve! Whispy has a ton of presence in Kirby, being in nearly every single Kirby game making him recognizable to hardcore and casual Kirby fans alike. He's even recognizable to Smash fans! Having appeared on Dream Land stage in Smash 64, Melee, and Wii U/3DS, and having appeared on Green Greens stage in Melee, Brawl, both stages also return in Ultimate!

Some may be quick to point out that Whispy Woods is a tree and cannot move, however to that I would direct them to Kirby's Dream Land 3, where he demonstrated the ability to uproot himself and walk!

On top of having the basic ability to move, Whispy can also attack with his roots, his apples, and puffs of wind he spits out, while his sturdy body makes smashing him quite a difficult challenge!

I actually made an entire moveset for him a couple years back but for the sake of keeping this simple and short, I'm just gonna look over specials and you can use your imagination for the rest.

Up special (Root-copter): Whispy Woods extends all his roots out and spins around very fast, granting him liftoff and injuring anyone who touches him.

Down special (Planting): Whispy Woods plants himself into the ground, granting him super armor and making him imovable until he runs out of super armor, in which he case will go into stun. While planted Whispy can only use Neutral special (Apple), side special (Surprise!) and by pressing the A button he can spit out puffs of air that auto aim at opponents. Whispy can uproot again by either inputting down special or by jumping. Uprooting takes awhile, and while you can jump out of it instead, you will suffer extra cooldown upon landing if you do. By using this move in the air, you can plummet straight down as an attack, spiking anyone directly beneath you and landing with a hard "THUD!" that knocks opponents away while you settle in your roots.

Side special (Surprise!): Whispy Woods plants a root into the ground, which pops out and injures opponents. While uprooted the root is fast and will travel a set distance, however while planted you can control the root while it's still underground, and can spring it by pressing the button again.

Neutral special (Apple): Whispy Woods grows an apple. An apple stays on Whispy for about one and a half seconds before dropping, once they drop they'll bounce across the floor and injure enemies they come into contact with. Whispy can grow three apples at a time.

So, let me know what you think. I know Whispy isn't a popular at all but I think it'd be really fun if he got in. Thanks for reading and I hope Whispy has your support!
Count me in. I like all of the following: The concept of Whispy, the concept of Whispy as a smasher, and your ideas for specials. It may be argued that Whispy is too big, but (attention) do you remember Ridley? As for wide foliage hurtboxes, the remedy is simple: Depending on how far an opponent's attacks extend, Whispy may not take damage, but rather a grazing attack causes leaves to fall as an aesthetic touch. Furthermore, new Smash Bros. games can accommodate new ideas by implementing new frameworks and conventions. For example, I thought of introducing two new weight classes-- 'colossus' and 'feather,' by which entirely new possibilities are invited, such as Kraid and Chibi Robo, respectively. If Ridley can be altered to fit the framework better, then Whispy Woods is no problem either. He would also pay compliment to the piranha plant as the second plant for Smash Bros.

His Classic Mode root (not a misspelling, but a pun) would include Olimar, Ivysaur, and the piranha plant.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Count me in. I like all of the following: The concept of Whispy, the concept of Whispy as a smasher, and your ideas for specials. It may be argued that Whispy is too big, but (attention) do you remember Ridley? As for wide foliage hurtboxes, the remedy is simple: Depending on how far an opponent's attacks extend, Whispy may not take damage, but rather a grazing attack causes leaves to fall as an aesthetic touch. Furthermore, new Smash Bros. games can accommodate new ideas by implementing new frameworks and conventions. For example, I thought of introducing two new weight classes-- 'colossus' and 'feather,' by which entirely new possibilities are invited, such as Kraid and Chibi Robo, respectively. If Ridley can be altered to fit the framework better, then Whispy Woods is no problem either. He would also pay compliment to the piranha plant as the second plant for Smash Bros.

His Classic Mode root (not a misspelling, but a pun) would include Olimar, Ivysaur, and the piranha plant.
I'm glad to hear you like my ideas for specials. I really like you're idea for handling his foliage too

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
So we have at least two moveset and wardrobe kits (speaking of which, your proposal was very interesting and complete, MrElectroG64 MrElectroG64 , and I think most of us would agree that anchoring into the ground would be the linchpin of Whispy's arsenal. However, would not the down special be a bit overpowered if Whispy was entirely impregnable?)

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So we have at least two moveset and wardrobe kits (speaking of which, your proposal was very interesting and complete, MrElectroG64 MrElectroG64 , and I think most of us would agree that anchoring into the ground would be the linchpin of Whispy's arsenal. However, would not the down special be a bit overpowered if Whispy was entirely impregnable?)
Thank you! and probably. It's been a while since I made it. I'd go ahead and say it should still allow him to take damage, just reduced and removes all knockback/flinching.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Thank you! and probably. It's been a while since I made it. I'd go ahead and say it should still allow him to take damage, just reduced and removes all knockback/flinching.
What would happen if he used the move in a stock match where he is ahead? He could win entirely if he takes no knockback.

Top Bottom