• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Know This Sounds VERY Far Fetched, But Waluigi May Be In.

Inking2003

Smash Cadet
Yeah yeah I now sound stupid because he's an assist trophy, but has anyone actually had him pop out of one yet? I mean, I had a 5 stock game with assist trophies as the only item and them set to high, and he never appeared. Also, the assist trophy pictures of him posted by Sakurai literally look the same as he did in SSB4. Wouldn't he have gotten a visual upgrade as well. Also, The only thing we ever see Waluigi doing is running forward. That's it. No shots of him attacking or jumping or any of that. I might be wrong, but I'm hoping for the best. Also, if anyone has actual in-game footage of Waluigi popping out of an assist trophy, please post it to prove this wrong.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
He was one of the first ATs announced/shown off. He's listed on the website. There's tons of footage of the ATs including the post above. Even without video proof from players now that the game is out, this has kind of been a known thing for a long time. I don't see why you would have doubts up until now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah yeah I now sound stupid because he's an assist trophy, but has anyone actually had him pop out of one yet? I mean, I had a 5 stock game with assist trophies as the only item and them set to high, and he never appeared. Also, the assist trophy pictures of him posted by Sakurai literally look the same as he did in SSB4. Wouldn't he have gotten a visual upgrade as well. Also, The only thing we ever see Waluigi doing is running forward. That's it. No shots of him attacking or jumping or any of that. I might be wrong, but I'm hoping for the best. Also, if anyone has actual in-game footage of Waluigi popping out of an assist trophy, please post it to prove this wrong.
Damn dude, take off the tinfoil hat. This can’t be good for you.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I’ve seen him pop out of the AT in my gameplay at least five times. You must just be unlucky.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm afraid I have had him pop up. He's not the most common assist that pops up for me, but he's helped me win a battle or two already.

I have to wonder why it's suddenly become cool to pick on Waluigi though. Everyone was singing his praises prior to his assist reveal.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'm afraid I have had him pop up. He's not the most common assist that pops up for me, but he's helped me win a battle or two already.

I have to wonder why it's suddenly become cool to pick on Waluigi though. Everyone was singing his praises prior to his assist reveal.
It’s because he’s just a meme. Tons of support for him dropped after the reveal.

StormC

Smash Hero

It's a mix of things. Waluigi is pretty strongly associated with meme culture, especially because he is often deemed not "worthy" of Smash, so a lot of people either support him ironically, or bash him to further the "meme." Tie in how some people reacted to his disconfirmation (and still react - check social media posts for practically any Smash announcement and you'll get at least a couple of folks saying "where's Waluigi???"), as well as many people still clinging to theories that he could still be playable (including this very thread), and you have a character who snowballs controversy, faux or otherwise. Especially because for some Waluigi fans, Daisy getting in was salt in the wound (despite being an echo).

As someone who could best be described as "aggressively neutral" towards Waluigi, I find the whole thing pretty funny, until it's not.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It’s because he’s just a meme. Tons of support for him dropped after the reveal.
Everyone says that, but it seems dismissive and a bit dishonest honestly, speaking as someone who is a fan of his 'competition' for the next Mario newcomer.

Waluigi is a character that's been around for 18 years and puts regular appearances into every kind of Mario spinoff game possible.

Surely by now he has a legit fanbase? When he's missing from said spinoffs there's genuine disappointment, such as Mario Kart 7. A meme pick would be like Smashboards' Sm4sh speculation character of 'Stork' from Yoshi's Island, in which scenario an echo chamber mentality suddenly boomed a fanbase who were convinced the stork not only had a chance, but was likely.

Tie in how some people reacted to his disconfirmation (and still react - check social media posts for practically any Smash announcement and you'll get at least a couple of folks saying "where's Waluigi???"), as well as many people still clinging to theories that he could still be playable (including this very thread), and you have a character who snowballs controversy, faux or otherwise. Especially because for some Waluigi fans, Daisy getting in was salt in the wound (despite being an echo).
This however I can believe. Those twin tower pics posted to Sakurai by a few bad eggs really ruined Waluigi's fanbases reputation.

StormC

Smash Hero
This however I can believe. Those twin tower pics posted to Sakurai by a few bad eggs really ruined Waluigi's fanbases reputation.
While that was definitely the big blow to the fanbase's reputation, you'll see people comment about Waluigi enough that it gets on people's nerves even though he's been long disconfirmed. It's becomes sort of a joke to act like Waluigi being snubbed is some great tragedy, and the lines blurs on how much irony is involved in individual incidents of it. While Waluigi has many genuine supporters, it's gotten to the point where it can be hard to tell at times.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Let’s think about it for a minute: is Waluigi the definitive reason that Mario spin-offs sell? No, absolutely not. People will buy Mario regardless of whether or not Waluigi is in it. Mario Kart 7 made several weird choices regarding playable characters. *a certain honey queen comes to mind, as well as a comically oversized caterpillar. Yet it still sold relatively well.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I’m a Waluigi supporter, and think he’s one of the most egregious omissions in Smash, but conspiracy theories like this are just embarrassing and make the whole fanbase look bad.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I’m a Waluigi supporter, and think he’s one of the most egregious omissions in Smash, but conspiracy theories like this are just embarrassing and make the whole fanbase look bad.
At this point Dixie Kong forms more of a hole than Waluigi. Let the meme die and get real fighters in there like Tetra and Leon Powalski.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
That's a weird way of spelling Urbosa and Slippy.

I'll see myself out.
I feel like Mipha or Revali would be way better to throw in smash, but whatever. Also, Slippy is a glorified meme anyway, and doesn’t have anything unique about him aside from being the mechanic who is also a really bad pilot.
I honestly can’t tell if you’re trolling.
Do you really think DK doesn’t need a fourth rep before Mario gets their meme in? Also the two I mentioned are both solid characters who could and would bring some unique aspects to smash.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
As a huge Mario fan who doesn't give a fig about the spinoff titles ( excluding RPGs ) the importance people place on this guy has always felt so strange and alien to me. Maybe I would get it if I actually played these games regularly, but I feel like the amount of time I've seen him in Mario Kart when my friends want everyone to play that gives me enough of an idea of what kind of character he is.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I feel like Mipha or Revali would be way better to throw in smash, but whatever. Also, Slippy is a glorified meme anyway, and doesn’t have anything unique about him aside from being the mechanic who is also a really bad pilot.

Do you really think DK doesn’t need a fourth rep before Mario gets their meme in? Also the two I mentioned are both solid characters who could and would bring some unique aspects to smash.
I completely disagree but respect your opinion.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Waluigi should get in as a Snake echo. Its perfect and I will be saying this until he gets in lol.

He's sneaky, he likes explosives, hes got a similar frame that would make sense over Snake, him being a comical parody of the stealth character he's echoing fits both as his character and would help to solidify him into more than just the Kart and Tennis guy.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Waluigi should get in as a Snake echo. Its perfect and I will be saying this until he gets in lol.

He's sneaky, he likes explosives, hes got a similar frame that would make sense over Snake, him being a comical parody of the stealth character he's echoing fits both as his character and would help to solidify him into more than just the Kart and Tennis guy.
I think Captain Toad kind of does the Mario version of Solid Snake already between missions in his own game having him sneak around the eyesight of Shy Guys, solving puzzles and going from stealth turnip pick ofs to 'I got a veggie machine gun, come at me *******'.

Not that I'm against Waluigi embracing his stealthy persona, but I'd personally amp up his cheating persona, maybe to ridiculous levels such as his dodge being him glitch as if he doesn't quite belong in the game.

Wario already has stilted movement to match Warioware so a 'glitchy hacked' Waluigi, as if badly programmed by Wario himself as a lazy favour to his brother/sidekick/friend would yield a wacky and fun moveset for the lean purple machine.

Zeevolts

Smash Rookie
I've popped him a few times. But I've never gotten Rodin, yet I know he's in the game.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think Captain Toad kind of does the Mario version of Solid Snake already between missions in his own game having him sneak around the eyesight of Shy Guys, solving puzzles and going from stealth turnip pick ofs to 'I got a veggie machine gun, come at me *******'.

Not that I'm against Waluigi embracing his stealthy persona, but I'd personally amp up his cheating persona, maybe to ridiculous levels such as his dodge being him glitch as if he doesn't quite belong in the game.

Wario already has stilted movement to match Warioware so a 'glitchy hacked' Waluigi, as if badly programmed by Wario himself as a lazy favour to his brother/sidekick/friend would yield a wacky and fun moveset for the lean purple machine.
Now i'll admit I've only played the demo of treasure tracker, but I find it really hard to picture C. Toad as a stealth guy. I get he may have elements of it in his game but he always struck me as the bumbling but earnest explorer type. I don't think Waluigi being this underhanded sneaky bomber would have any overlap there.

Top Bottom