• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hope Smash 4 stays alive a while longer

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo recently announced the Nintendo NX will be released March 2017. I just hope even after the release of the NX smash 4 will stay alive. I mean there has been no word on a smash 5 and iirc Sakurai stated smash 4 to be the last smash game... The reason I worry about this is because I got into smash 4 in October. I have been an avid player since and eventually want to play competitively. If the game dies out in less than a year from now that will suck. All this practice and time played towards this guy will be wasted. And I don't want to play melee (sorry I don't find it fun!) Anyways, comments, opinions, etc. all welcome. Thank you.

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
He also said Brawl and Melee were supposed to be the last Smash games and the competitive Sm4sh scene isn't going to die anytime soon (it wont last as long as Melee though) so I wouldn't worry about it dying anytime soon

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
He also said Brawl and Melee were supposed to be the last Smash games and the competitive Sm4sh scene isn't going to die anytime soon (it wont last as long as Melee though) so I wouldn't worry about it dying anytime soon
You don't know that. 64's community is growing as well and doesn't seem to show any signs of slowing down.

With all due respect to that game, I say smash 4 has more potential to last longer.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
At this point the only thing that kill of SSBU is SSBNX being like 90% the same game.

With or without NX backwards compatibility I don't see SSBU slowing down any time soon.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I doubt the scene will die anytime soon. But hey, it's been rumored to have a port of the Wii-U version on the "NX" with all the dlc included. That should especially increase the scene's chances of staying alive for years to come.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Even if there is a Smash 5/NX that's exactly like Smash 4, it won't necessarily die, the Sm4sh community will just "evolve" into the Smash NX community.

If there really isn't another smash game, I honestly can't see smash 4 go anywhere but up. A huge majority of smash 4 players (myself included) prefer the smash 4 engine over the melee engine.

Jenknee

Smash Rookie
As long as people are playing it, it won't just 'die,' sm4sh has HEAPS of time left, and with techs like Bidou evolving and people constantly getting better and better, theres no reason to suddenly stop - if anything, the scene will keep advancing and find its niche audience and playstyle, or the people will move onto another smash game in the event that it is released. Brawl lasted til sm4sh's release despite being seen as a non-competitive game. Sm4sh still has ages to go before its dropped.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Let's look at the facts:
The first Smash was released in 1999, Melee in 2001, Brawl in 2008, and Smash 4 in 2014. Aside from between Melee and 64 (which, given how small 64 was, made sense), there seem to be around 6-7 years between each Smash games. There have been rumors about a Smash game being released with the NX in 2017. Smash 4 being out for less than 3 years before being replaced? That doesn't seem very likely, especially considering how huge Smash 4 is.

Let's look at a few other factors. Third party characters. Smash 4 has Bayonetta, Cloud, Sonic, Ryu, Mega Man, and Pac-Man, not counting assist trophies. Granted, some (or all) of those could return for the next instalment, but chances are Nintendo would have to make some new deals then. I don't think they are ready to do that just yet. Let's not forget about all the music and trophies from third party franchises as well.

There is also the Sakurai factor. Would Sakurai release a whole new game in less than three years? I highly doubt that. Granted, they could make a brand new Smash game without Sakurai, but why rush it?

So, I think one of two things will happen: Either the next Smash game will be "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo NX" (or whatever the console is called), which would be an enhanced remake of Smash 4 (similar how the Wii U is to the DS version), or it won't come until 2019 or 2020 (potentially late 2018).

Oh, and if there is no new game, then I don't see any reason for why Smash 4 would die. Melee is still around, after all.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I mean if they do come out with a an NX version of Smash 4 wouldn't it just be like Street Fighter 4 --> Super Street Fighter 4 --> Ultra Street Fighter 4 were it's just an upgraded version of the same game, maybe with a few extra characters and some added features? I don't think that'd be that bad. Smash 5 won't be coming out for a long while.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Yes, most likely it'd just be a somewhat updated version, perhaps with all DLC characters unlocked from start. I doubt they'd add more characters seeing how they didn't want to add more characters to the Wii U version in order to not make 3DS owners feel bad, but it's possible they'll decide to add more characters.

Top Bottom