• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have chosen to main Zelda! So, uh, what do I practice?

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
So I'm gonna start this off saying that despite playing since N64...I've never really played Smash at any level approaching good. Like I've never even played on intense mode on anything and have yet to beat classic on 9.9 with any character. I've decided to try to change that now, and after searching around a bit I've actually found that Zelda's kit kinda suits me more than Ivysaur and friends. There's just one problem, I have no idea what to practice and how to practice it.

Now I'm not completely clueless here, just mostly clueless. I know the range on her kicks (had to relearn that from brawl) I know which moves are kill moves (though I don't know the percent on every character) and I know how to buffer shorthop aerial (and no other buffer.) That's about it though. Any advice would be very much appreciated, though advice that points me into a practice order would be even more appreciated.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I would first practice her Up-B and get familiar with all the of the ranges and distance the various directions have, given it's omnidirectional. It's probably one of the best recoveries and is a good punish as well, but has a learning curve to it. Then I would get used to the Phantom Knight, it's various charge states, and the overall timing for each one. They all have different applications and uses and cause different levels and angles of knockback. It's essential to her neutral in a lot of match ups(MU), so will be good to learn.

Those are probably the easiest and most fun, to practice in isolation, outside of percent specific combos. Get familiar with her general moveset, her smashes and normal attacks overall range and speed, then you can move on to practicing juggling with Up-air and Up-Tilt. Those are her good anti-airs and properly utilized, can both rack percent and KO. Neutral air(Nair) is also an essential neutral tool and a good anti-air, so get used to using it, without accidentally DIing out of it.

Her Out of Shield(OoS) options are very good, so try to practice doing them. If you don't know, you can cancel shield with a jump. Options that can utilize this are aerials, Up-smash and Up-B. So while holding shield, press jump and you will instantly jump and pressing Up-smash or Up-B will have the same effect. Practice doing those and getting a feel for the timing and which might be best against which attack. Don't forget pressing the attack button and jump at the same time, will automatically cause you to short hop aerial.

Nayru's Love(neutral B) has invincibility at the beginning, so try setting the cpu to Fsmash and practice timing it, so that you are unharmed. It will be a very good get off me tool.

Once you are comfortable with her base moveset, try fully charging the Phantom Knight and play around with the things you can do, while it is active. Zelda is free to move while it is fully charged and there is a bit of a delay, before it is active, so you can experiment with the different positions Zelda can be in and the combos you can setup with it.

Then try going offstage and using the Phantom, plus other moves and see which seem viable to do safely, at which distance to the ledge. Then try spiking the cpu with Down-Air(Dair) and getting used to the timing, on various recoveries.

After all that, you can try practicing these combos, that aren't too situational:

Sweet-spot Dair->Up-B at mid percents(50-80)

Up-Tilt->Up-Tilt->Nair works at low percents

Up-Tilt->Up-air will probably be at least close to true around 50 or so.

Most of the rest of her options and applications, are situational or MU dependent, so you will need actual in match experience for those.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Oh man, thanks for all the advice there! Are there any stages and opponents in particular I should use while practicing in isolation? Like my best guess is training and legal stages are the best places but I don't know if there's any stages in particular that are good or bad for this sort of thing.

Edit: Well this is interesting, according to the trajectory guide if you wind into someone from below they go higher, but if you wind into someone from the side or above they get more horizontal movement. Also I noticed I move the direction it's tilted to (or the direction I'm facing if no tilt) a bit when I wind to a platform I can pass through with some teleport length remaining, that seems like something I might wanna watch out for.

Last edited:

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Oh man, thanks for all the advice there! Are there any stages and opponents in particular I should use while practicing in isolation? Like my best guess is training and legal stages are the best places but I don't know if there's any stages in particular that are good or bad for this sort of thing.
The training stage should be fine in most cases, unless there is a specific stage you want to practice on. Just be aware that blast zone distance will determine the effectiveness of various KO options. The training stage has markers for Battlefield and Final Destination, but the blast zone distances will vary, for other stages or their Battlefield/Final Destination versions.

As for characters, as long as you understand the various weight classes and how they affect percentage combos and KO options, you needn't worry about needing to practice on every character. Percentage will usually scale by about 10ish percent for every heavier or lighter weight class. You would only need to practice on one character per weight class normally, to get an idea. What might be better is to practice on different sized characters. Small characters are naturally going to be more difficult to hit than larger ones, so it might more prudent to focus on practicing with character size. And of course recoveries are going to be different, so if you are practicing spiking, try doing it on recoveries you find difficult.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm doing the Nayru's Love sheild right, I feel like I'm being too early and avoiding damage because the attack hurts my opponent or doing it too late and getting smacked. I've even tried using the Belmonts and even then love manages to clip them. Is there any character in particular that's best for learning the timing for this? Preferably one with a sound cue that would let me know I did something right.

Edit: Also trying to get the spike on D-air is proving frustrating. I'm completely missing most of the time and when I do hit i don't land a sweetspot. Granted I've mostly been training with the Belmonts on this but still.

Last edited:

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm doing the Nayru's Love sheild right, I feel like I'm being too early and avoiding damage because the attack hurts my opponent or doing it too late and getting smacked. I've even tried using the Belmonts and even then love manages to clip them. Is there any character in particular that's best for learning the timing for this? Preferably one with a sound cue that would let me know I did something right.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Nayru is a reflector that also has invincibility starting really early at frame 4 and an actual hitbox coming out at frame 10. If someone is too close, even if they're not throwing a projectile at you, they're gonna get hit by the crystals from the move's hitbox. This is what makes it a good "get off me" tool since it has decent knockback and horizontal range on both sides of you.

So I guess, what were you trying to accomplish practicing against the Belmonts where you consider the attack hurting them to be a bad thing? Were you trying to reflect their projectiles, or trying to use it when they're close to you to hit them away?

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Basically I'm trying to figure out just when to press B to not get hit and trying to determine what was me dodging an attack and what was just me hitting them out of an attack. Though thinking about it I doubt there's too many instances where that would matter much... Maybe I'm overthinking that aspect.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace

Edit: Also trying to get the spike on D-air is proving frustrating. I'm completely missing most of the time and when I do hit i don't land a sweetspot. Granted I've mostly been training with the Belmonts on this but still.
Try Ganondorf's Fsmash. It's large enough you can time Nayru without him being hit by it, and it is a fairly slow and simple move. The Belmont's Fsmash moves them forward from their starting position. Consecutive attacks will have them move up fairly far, so use L+R+A to reset your respective positions. I should probably also mention that not all attacks can be successfully beaten with Nayru. Some attacks like Cloud's Fsmash, are a long lasting multi-hit and will last through the invincibility. When you practice this, it should be with the intention to learn Nayru's invincibility duration and timing, not to beat each individual attack with it. It will mostly be your panic option to stuff out aggressive rushdown, not something you lead with.

As for the spike, you want to hit it at the very start of the move. She stomps downward, so think of hitting with her heel, right as she is about to push downward.

Basically I'm trying to figure out just when to press B to not get hit and trying to determine what was me dodging an attack and what was just me hitting them out of an attack. Though thinking about it I doubt there's too many instances where that would matter much... Maybe I'm overthinking that aspect.
It would be good to know, because there will be attacks like swords, that can safely hit through Nayru's hitbox. Defending against Chrom's dash attack for instance, will take proper timing in order to successfully counter it.

Last edited:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Reading you loud and clear on the Nayru front, however that's not my problem with the d-air. I know when I need to land the hit. The hard part is getting into position to land the hit. Even when I get launched or have the opponent knocked away below me I can't seem to find a way to land the move.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Reading you loud and clear on the Nayru front, however that's not my problem with the d-air. I know when I need to land the hit. The hard part is getting into position to land the hit. Even when I get launched or have the opponent knocked away below me I can't seem to find a way to land the move.
You might need to shift your perspective in how you approach it. Most Dairs you are generally aggressive with, but Zelda's is very small and is easy to overshoot. Rather than going to your opponent, have them come to you. Zelda is slow and floaty and her recovery is really good, so you can hang in the air, for a while. Try to "hover" around the ledge and wait for your opponent to use their Up-B. Once they use it, their DI will only be as good as the recovery allows and they will have to move to the ledge. If you hang near the ledge, you can make minor adjustments, depending on the angle they try to recover from.

A general rule of thumb is to wait until they burn their jumps, then go offstage and wait for the Up-B, unless they are fairly close to the ledge. Once they Up-B, they have committed to a certain direction, so learn the DI various recoveries have. Bear in mind some recoveries, like K. Rool's, have a hitbox that is too big on the top to spike. The Belmont's can be spiked, it's just a little difficult to do so. Maybe try Link or Wolf's recovery. Link has a lot of hitboxs on the sides, but is wide open on the top. Center it directly above him, so you don't get hit by the sword. Wolf's can be angled, but is slow and doesn't have much distance.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Update on the d-air training. So far I've only landed the spike on Link when he's above the stage and has not used his up-b yet, letting them come to me and going to them produces the same result there. I...honestly have no idea what to think about this. Do I just have a weakness for being below the stage?

Unrelated to spikes I have been derping around in lobbies a bit just to get some matches against humans in and right now here's all my MU data
:ultness::ultlucas: Two of the three characters I can hit with Din's Fire, though only when they're trying to PK Flash/Freeze me. Also apperntly the bat reflects my knight but I think I can counter-reflect that with good timing. Kicking them is a pain though, and I need the love diamond to be ready to reflect those PK Fires. PK thunder stops me from staying flat on the ground too long to see what my opponent will do.
:ultpiranha: The other character I can hit with Din's Fire, also the poison cloud is reflectable and he's pretty easy to kick. I just have to watch out for his smashes which hit hard and seem to outrange me. Also these seem to be the best to practice knight keepaway with.
:ultpeach: The only character I've won against and I have no idea how I pulled it off outside of a lucky reflect on the stitch turnip. The float seems like it could be good kickbait but I think her airs outrange mine.
:ultsimon::ultrichter: Despite being projectile focused my reflect doesn't do much work, by the time the moves end they're in the perfect range to whip me good. In addition the hitbox on the downsmash is weird and they're really good at closing any gap I make with that down-tilt. However my kick kills them really early if I'm close to the ledge because their up-b doesn't get them much distance.
:ultike: Ike's sword hits like a truck and outranges my everything, and that side-b of his stops my knight or din's fire from being that effective against him. Only the wind seems to work at dealing damage to him reliably and that's hard to hit once he learns to expect it. Oh, also his aether knocks me out of my wind if we're both recovering so that's fun.
:ultpit: Despite having a reflect his arrows are really annoying to deal with, they stop me from making my knight if I'm on the same level as him with their speed. Also his side-B goes through my knight somehow and his bow outranges my everything.
:ultincineroar: DO NOT BE ON THE SAME LEVEL AS THIS MONSTROSITY! Not only does this guy hit like a truck, he also beats out my attacks with his grabs, meaning kicking him is pretty hard despite the fact that he's an absolute unit. At least I can still knight him but I have to be real quick on the draw with that, and gods forbids he down-bs me.
:ultzss: I just don't know what I can do against this one. She's so fast I can't keep track of her, she hits so hard, she kills so early, she's got a deadly spike where the only solution is to DI away, she can beat my range. This is the most frustrating character I've fought against (not counting WoL and spirit battles) because with all the other characters I can at least do something to them. Here I just have to throw out hitboxes and pray that they collide with one of them

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Update on the d-air training. So far I've only landed the spike on Link when he's above the stage and has not used his up-b yet, letting them come to me and going to them produces the same result there. I...honestly have no idea what to think about this. Do I just have a weakness for being below the stage?
It's pretty difficult to do and is going to take a lot of practice and knowledge of individual recoveries. I myself can only do it on a handful of recoveries consistently. It was much easier in 4, due to its slow and floaty nature, but is not easy with everything being so fast in Ultimate. You just have to get a feel for the speed and DI of various recoveries. If you are too aggressive in chasing, they will shoot right past you, but if you are too passive and Dair early, you will miss the sweet-spot. You just have to find the balance between the two for each recovery and DI will complicate that even more.

You might look into Nayru's Love, for recoveries with poor horizontal movement. It tends to gimp recoveries like Cloud's or Little Mac's really well.
For slower and laggier projectiles, Up-Bing into them is a more optimal punish. Din's Fire isn't a terrible option, but you'll get more mileage with Up-B. Phantom is best as a landing pressure tool and an anti-air or occasional quick uses in neutral, due to that Fsmash reflection. It depends on the Ness's playstyle how effective it will be.
You're on the right track. Plant lacks options to adequately deal with Zelda's projectiles.
Try reflecting Holy Cross on its return, instead. You can pressure them and if they try to escape, reflect Holy Cross as its passing back through and it should hit them and allow a combo. If they try to attack, using Nayru to stop them and reflect Holy Cross simultaneously, should also allow a combo.

Shielding Holy Water will automatically send it back to them and act as a less risky reflector. You can Up-B into the Axe, since it's a slower projectile. Just keep pressuring them, they are weak to it.
Just be careful in neutral and don't challenge him in the air. Work on your parrys and shield game, they will help. Don't miss a single chance to edgeguard. Phantom can stop his Side-B recovery and if you get behind him, Nayru's Love can break through the super armor on his Up-B and stage spike him.
One of my least favorite MUs. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep him at bay. Try to knock him off stage and either edgeguard or punish all of his Up-B landings.
This one is pretty difficult, if you don't have a good handle on Zelda and her spacing. You want to use Zelda's disjoints to beat ZSS's speed. Phantom's not going to be of much use here and ZSS can combo Zelda easy. I don't have much to say, other than don't be intimidated by her speed, and use her light weight against her. You just have to outplay her in the neutral and exploit every opening to the fullest extent.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
I found that some recoveries only need the sourspot to be gimped so that's a thing. Offstage play is still tricky, but I've gotten good at getting off the stage and not SDing, I just need to remember to hold onto my air jump until necessary. Wind tends to have enough range when that thing is helping it out.

As for MUs I find I'm pretty good at slowly learning them as I fight players, slowly though. The only exceptions are ZSS, Sonic, and Pichu who I'm honestly considering picking up a pocket character for once I get Zelda down.

Now the real trouble I'm having is just keeping up the offense once I punish an opening. I can get in one hit easily. If I used the dash I can get in another dash if the opponent isn't on the ball. I can u-air juggle but when it comes to the airial I tend to mess up because there's two combos with that and I get them mixed up a lot. Everything else I just kinda flub. I can play the defensive game like a champ and last longer than most, but my offense is lacking.

...also parries are really hard to figure out even with the Dr Mario method. I've gotten like...3 and they were all by accident.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I found that some recoveries only need the sourspot to be gimped so that's a thing. Offstage play is still tricky, but I've gotten good at getting off the stage and not SDing, I just need to remember to hold onto my air jump until necessary. Wind tends to have enough range when that thing is helping it out.

As for MUs I find I'm pretty good at slowly learning them as I fight players, slowly though. The only exceptions are ZSS, Sonic, and Pichu who I'm honestly considering picking up a pocket character for once I get Zelda down.

Now the real trouble I'm having is just keeping up the offense once I punish an opening. I can get in one hit easily. If I used the dash I can get in another dash if the opponent isn't on the ball. I can u-air juggle but when it comes to the airial I tend to mess up because there's two combos with that and I get them mixed up a lot. Everything else I just kinda flub. I can play the defensive game like a champ and last longer than most, but my offense is lacking.

...also parries are really hard to figure out even with the Dr Mario method. I've gotten like...3 and they were all by accident.
There is not very many, but sour-spot gimps are indeed a thing. I'm not sure about Sonic yet, but Zelda can handle ZSS and Pichu without a secondary. It will just require you to have a good handle on her spacing and overall play.

Due to her weird eclectic moveset, advantage is a little difficult and confusing at first, but it is likely one of the best in the game. Just focus on racking up damage by knocking them into the air and Up-air sniping and pressuring landings with Up-Tilt. Or knocking them offstage and not letting them back on, by either successfully edgeguarding them, with Phantom or spikes, or setting up ledge traps that knock them back off the stage, or force them into the air or onto the platforms. Zelda isn't really a combo oriented character and her moves tend to be single hits, that do a lot of damage and knockback. Your "combos" will mostly be denying your opponent's attempts to return to the stage and racking up damage that way.

If you don't already know, buffering moves has been changed in Ultimate. You can now just hold the attack you want, during the currently active one and you will do it, once the active one is over. So holding Jump + attack during the Up-Tilt, will have you Nair immediately after. If you are getting mixed up with Up-tilt follow ups, just pay attention to the percent and Nair at low percents and Up-air at mid percents. Anything after mid percents isn't guaranteed. Technically a lot of low percent stuff isn't guaranteed either, but your opponent needs pretty good reflexes, to be able to jump or air-dodge out of low percent Up-Tilt combos. I have seen it happen, though.

Being able to play defense, even with lacking offense, still puts you above a lot of people, who struggled with defense at the beginning. So long as you can survive for a long time and not die early, you will eventually find an opening to land those big hits. Parrying is difficult and the timing being different for different attacks, only compounds that. I would try practicing on sword characters at first, since sword moves are easy to conceptual and visualize and are what you will find the most benefit parrying.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
If you don't already know, buffering moves has been changed in Ultimate. You can now just hold the attack you want, during the currently active one and you will do it, once the active one is over. So holding Jump + attack during the Up-Tilt, will have you Nair immediately after. If you are getting mixed up with Up-tilt follow ups, just pay attention to the percent and Nair at low percents and Up-air at mid percents. Anything after mid percents isn't guaranteed. Technically a lot of low percent stuff isn't guaranteed either, but your opponent needs pretty good reflexes, to be able to jump or air-dodge out of low percent Up-Tilt combos. I have seen it happen, though.
Oh this is going to be good. Are there any other buffers I should know about? The only other one is the shorthop xair attack which I'm starting to think is giving me bad habits.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
Oh this is going to be good. Are there any other buffers I should know about? The only other one is the shorthop xair attack which I'm starting to think is giving me bad habits.
I can't think of too many off the top of my head, other than the above combos in my first post. The only one I can think of at the moment, is Up-B after a fully charged Phantom. This can be useful to bait and punish certain reflectors, like Mario's or Fox's and Wolf's. Make sure you do it after the full charge or you will release Phantom early and have it reflected back at you. So press Up-B and aim it after the full charge and once the endlag is up, she will automatically Up-B into the reflector character. It's kind of difficult to buffer it, since it requires multiple inputs, so be sure to practice it first.

Augi

Smash Cadet
:ultness::ultlucas: Two of the three characters I can hit with Din's Fire, though only when they're trying to PK Flash/Freeze me. Also apperntly the bat reflects my knight but I think I can counter-reflect that with good timing. Kicking them is a pain though, and I need the love diamond to be ready to reflect those PK Fires. PK thunder stops me from staying flat on the ground too long to see what my opponent will do.
Are you not using Din's when your opponent is off-stage? It sounds like you're not. It takes too long to use in neutral, but it does deliver great pressure, or even kills, when they're trying to recover.

In many instances I've gotten a kill by sweet-spotting dins on someone who's trying to recover high, gimping someone who recovers low, forcing an airdodge or just making them panic in general.

But I'd advise using it as an immediate follow-up move when someone almost reaches the blast-zone, but doesn't. Once the opponent gets close enough above/below the stage you won't be able to bend its trajectory far enough to get a hit, but before that point, good-aim makes them sitting ducks.

This can be a great option for opponents who are too risky to challenge off-stage, wise to Phantom trickery, or again, to just keep pressure on them. Definitely practice using it if you haven't.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
You'd be right on the Din's front, I don't use it much offstage, mostly because aiming the thing tends to be hard and if I do get the aim right there tends to be an airdodge that ruins the plan. But yeah I'll get to practicing it.

Augi

Smash Cadet
You'd be right on the Din's front, I don't use it much offstage, mostly because aiming the thing tends to be hard and if I do get the aim right there tends to be an airdodge that ruins the plan. But yeah I'll get to practicing it.
If they airdodge and are recovering low, it can spell death for a lot of characters with substandard/average Up+Bs. If they're a fan of recovering high, Phantoming the edge and upairs will make them think twice about it.

It can be tricky to aim, but it gets easier and is very satisfying when you sweetspot it.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I'll add on and say that it can force air-dodges and burn jumps to make recovering even more difficult. If you plant it where they would need to jump or Up-B, it becomes easier to hit. If you know they are going to do it and are quick about it, it can also stop Side-B recoveries like Fox's and the sweet-spot will likely KO in that scenario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How to properly space.

Zelda is all about the bait and punish. Nothing you could possibly learn matters at all if your spacing is shoddy. Zelda is heavily reliant on you properly positioning yourself to just out of harms way with a dash or a SH, and then popping in with a well-placed grab, attack, or whatnot. From her aerials, to a lot of her specials, Zelda's entire kit literally screams: "Learn how to space properly." If you can't space well, then she straight up doesn't work as a character. This is why a lot of people parrot that "her kit is fundamentally broken" because their spacing isn't very good, and they expect the character to play like a braindead sword user who can spam SH aerials for free hit confirms.

So hop online, and start playing against Randos till you're able to get a proper feel for all of her attacks and how to properly bait out your opponents and when it's safe to come in with your attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
How to properly space.

Zelda is all about the bait and punish. Nothing you could possibly learn matters at all if your spacing is shoddy. Zelda is heavily reliant on you properly positioning yourself to just out of harms way with a dash or a SH, and then popping in with a well-placed grab, attack, or whatnot. From her aerials, to a lot of her specials, Zelda's entire kit literally screams: "Learn how to space properly." If you can't space well, then she straight up doesn't work as a character. This is why a lot of people parrot that "her kit is fundamentally broken" because their spacing isn't very good, and they expect the character to play like a braindead sword user who can spam SH aerials for free hit confirms.

So hop online, and start playing against Randos till you're able to get a proper feel for all of her attacks and how to properly bait out your opponents and when it's safe to come in with your attacks.
I've been slowly but surely learning the spacing of her attacks and I have a decent feel for most of them. The only outliers are the dash attack and up air. Now properly baiting and punishing my opponents is an entirely different story. This is a practice that I've just now got the bare bones basics of and it takes me like three matches with someone at least to figure out their habits.

D

Deleted member

I've been slowly but surely learning the spacing of her attacks and I have a decent feel for most of them. The only outliers are the dash attack and up air. Now properly baiting and punishing my opponents is an entirely different story. This is a practice that I've just now got the bare bones basics of and it takes me like three matches with someone at least to figure out their habits.
Well, when I say spacing, I don't only mean her attacks, but also the character in general. Getting a solid mastery for the character and their mobility options. JTails and a couple other guys on YT have some solid tutorials on the matter, I recommend you check them out. Smash is a fighting game focused around mobility and movement, so more than any fancy combos or whatever, you need to learn how to properly play the neutral, and in order to improve your neutral you need to feel comfortable and master all of your character's movement and defensive options so you know when it's best to do what. When do you jump, when do you SH, when do you dash, when do you WALK (yes, walk), when do you spot dodge, when do you roll, when do you dash dance, etc... etc...

I suggest hoppin into training mode, and just start practicing manual short hops + fast falls with Zelda, and then adding in attacks. You need to get very comfortable with just moving her around. Once you do, you'll start to focus less on what your own character is doing, as it'll be more natural, and more on what your opponent is doing, which is what you SHOULD be focusing on. You'll be less inclined to do things because you want to, but rather, do things in response to what you predict your opponent will do (which is the core tenet of bait and punish - getting proper reads on your opponent's actions), OR, doing things in order to force an action on your opponent, which will then let you respond with your own options.

That's the core basis of all fighting games really. At their core, they're a very complex game of rock-paper-scissors, where it kinda deviates though, is that instead of randomly throwing stuff out and hoping it works, you instead focus on reading and conditioning your opponent into doing the things you WANT them to do so you can get clean hits on them, which then leads into combos. You limit their options so they become easier to predict. It's not a game of "hit the other guy" it's a game of "get in their head so they're easier to hit." If you catch my drift.

In regard to Zelda specifically btw, there are a couple things you do wanna make sure you focus on:
-Her Farore is obviously a very good movement option both defensively and offensively, though do be careful, it has a lot of recovery frames after use, and it's unsafe on block.
-Nayru is a very good defensive tool due to the invincibility. Can get predictable though.
-Phantom is a crazy good pressure tool that can be used to througly limit the opponents options, and gives Zelda crazy good neutral
-She can do her Lightning Kicks Out of Shield, making it a very good punish options when oppents are being very aggressive.

Before you get into those though, do focus on getting very FLUID with the movement though. That should be step number 1, then the stuff up there ^^^.

Last edited by a moderator:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
So I looked up the Jtails thing and while that's been helping there's one part that I just can't get. Short Hop -> Fast Falling -> Falling attack. This has been causing me nothing but grief. Am I just too slow of is Zelda's SH too low for this to be a thing for her?

Edit: Zeldacord has informed me that I can falling attack BEFORE the fast fall and this has helped tremendously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom