• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I have been challenged to a duel, need your help.

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
I am a college student. I beat all the casuals at Smash without difficulty. I beat all the people who played the game for fun when they were teenagers. But those with professional techniques down I have never encountered. Some Chinese girl named Wi has challenged me to a duel. I'm guessing I have 2 weeks to prepare, about an hour a day of training. I want to win this.

I came here because from my past experiences, the members here were the most knowledgeable community of melee players. With brawl out for awhile now I hope you aren't all dead and gone.

You are my online trainers. We need to get me to work.

Here's what we're working with. I am good at reading bad/casual players. I understand the psychology of melee, like attacking them in their recovery times. I know which moves the internet says are good. I like to play defense more than offense. I am not very technical. I am addicted to rolling/shield, I have a tendency to overuse the C stick. I don't like most B moves. In the past my most used characters have been Marth/Roy, Fox/Falco, and Peach.

Wi uses Kirby.

It will be a stock match on Final Destination.

I have no idea how good she actually is, I have never played with her or her friends.

So who beats Kirby?

We have 2 weeks so we can't break down everything and build me up to perfection. But still. We got some work to do.

You in, or you out?

Jonas

Smash Champion
Just remember there's no shame in losing just because your opponent has a different gender/race/age/ or whatever. If she's good or sort-of-good at Melee, you should just play a lot of friendlies with her and not focus on "that one duel that you just have to win to prove yourself to a skilled oppoenent" or whatever.

On-topic though, Kirby sucks and everyone beats him. But don't underestimate her, things go awry when you underestimate people. "Who beats Kirby" is not as important as "how does my main character beat Kirby".

0Room

Smash Lord
I came here because from my past experiences, the members here were the most knowledgeable community of melee players. With brawl out for awhile now I hope you aren't all dead and gone.
This made me laugh.

Like we've said, almost everyone beats Kirby. Just don't get near the edge and let her kirbycide you. Use your character's strengths, whichever character you pick, and generally do things. Just watch out for his dthrow, it's really strange to tech. But generally, it's rather easy to play against Kirby. :glare:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
If you're not that technical, my first suggestion would be to go as Marth (since you say that he's one of your previous most used). His sword's disjointed hitbox pretty much helps you out-range most, if not all, of Kirby's attacks. Apart from that, the only way I think people can help you is if you give slightly more specifics into your current level of play. We (or, at least, I) would like to know things like:

-What advanced techniques do you know? (Wavedash, L-cancel, etc.)
-If you decided on a character to use, what specific attacks/strategies do you implement usually when you use this character?

Once you answer these, we can help you go over the minute details XP

PEEF!

Smash Hero
if you really want to **** a kirby, pick sheik and use lots of ftilt and grab>aerial. I don't think you can lose

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Who doesn't beat Kirby?

I would recommend Marth, due to his decent speed and power. His counter attack is great if your a defensive player.

But why listen to me?

Beat!

Smash Master
-You are not very technical
-You like the c-stick
-Your opponent uses Kirby

Pick Marth. F-smash. A lot.

There ya go

:phone:

Smash Master
Fox destroys Kirby. You don't even have to use the difficult techniques. Just know basic up throw up air combo. It kills at like 80. Upsmash kills really early too. Kirby has no combos, so you'll be fine even though you're Fox. It's really easy to run away and shoot lazers on FD. You might want to practice shorthopping them to hit a crouching Kirby, just to make sure she has to approach you. Also practice shine-spiking. Kirby's recovery is actually pretty horrendous and easy to gimp, since he has so little aerial mobility he needs all of his jumps to get anywhere. Also be aware of ledgehop inhale, and if you do get sucked in offstage, resist the impulse to mash buttons.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtFaDHeiNQ It might be useful to learn jump-cancelled grabs, but eh. It's a kirby. You shouldn't have to try too hard.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Oh no dude, you are NOT losing this.

I gotta do something now, but later I'm gonna come up with tons of different ways for you to win, ways that will be really easy for you. you don't even have to learn advanced techniques. do you have aim?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Learn to shield grab because it's easy. Even the worst scrubs can do it. If you're fox, shield her attack, then grab, then up throw, then up air. Just be careful that you don't get too predictable with it; she can grab you next time instead of attacking your shield.

this has to be a troll ><
Lol this probably is. It's his first post since 2006.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
sheik >>> marth for this match imo

just spam her f-tilt a lot once you're in range and link that into fair
grab when you can
if you ever get hit, hold down and CC into a grab

Pi

Smash Hero
lol kirby
if you can learn jab upsmash & upthrow upsmash in 2 weeks, (how to perform and implement them) then fox is like auto win

you can literally just grab the whole game and win

jump out and shine kirby when she tries to jump pathetically back to the stage, game over

ps don't try to learn too much at once you'll get worse before you get better, process takes a month at least, and that's dedicated playing w/ a coach

Battlecow

Play to Win
Dude, watch out; she might be lying about her kirby use. It would be a good trick to get you overconfident and then she goes top tier at the eleventh hour. HOWEVER if she does play kirby just don't get swallowed+killed and you should be OK. What I personally would do is just go with Marth and spam dat forward C-stick. Practice for that hour a day against FRIENDS using kirby, not kirby CPUs. Have your friends try to kirbycide you (swallow you, then walk off the edge) and practice getting out of it 'til you're good.

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
Fox destroys Kirby. You don't even have to use the difficult techniques. Just know basic up throw up air combo. It kills at like 80. Upsmash kills really early too. Kirby has no combos, so you'll be fine even though you're Fox. It's really easy to run away and shoot lazers on FD. You might want to practice shorthopping them to hit a crouching Kirby, just to make sure she has to approach you. Also practice shine-spiking. Kirby's recovery is actually pretty horrendous and easy to gimp, since he has so little aerial mobility he needs all of his jumps to get anywhere. Also be aware of ledgehop inhale, and if you do get sucked in offstage, resist the impulse to mash buttons.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtFaDHeiNQ It might be useful to learn jump-cancelled grabs, but eh. It's a kirby. You shouldn't have to try too hard.

this this this

also watch the better fox's on youtube like lucky m2k and jman. dont worry too much about the AT's but short hopping will help a ton. laser from a distance and upthrow +up air as well as up-smash ****.

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
Hey I'm back. I am NOT a troll. Why have I not posted since 2006?

I could not afford a Wii to get good at brawl. everyone started playing brawl where I lived. So I quit the game.

But that was in high school. Now its college. I just rebought melee. I started playing with my friends. They were destroyed every time. Rumor of my skill got around on campus. Suddenly, a group of freshmen approached me (I'm a sophomore):

"Hey XXXXX, have you heard of Wi? She is good at smash."
"Wii? You mean brawl? No I only play melee."
"No Wi, the girl who ate the cookie on accident 4/20 before class."
"Oh right."
"Yeah she uses Kirby, who do you use?"
"Uh...whoever I feel like using, that's who."
"Are you down for the challenge?"
"Bring it on."

That's how it went down, in the middle of the street, on campus.

As a college student, I am busy, and do not have time to meticulously check the forums every 30 minutes like a loser. But I am here now, at 2:10am. Hmm..

An update on my situation. I trained most of the day while also reading "Re-Thinking History" by Keith Jenkins. Fascinating book by the way. Anyways, I decided on Marth. I am shorthopping his fair very well because of its range, the 2 attacks. I can L cancel. Wavedash most of the time. a little ledgecamping too. I've had a lot of easiness juggling silly Jigglypuff in the air. I get the sweet spot almost all the time.

Does Marth have any good grab combos, in case I need to use one? Or I can just find it myself.

I was also liking fox for his good up attacks.

No I don't AIM sorry.

Thanks for your support everyone. I might accelerate the date because I'm feeling pretty confident right now. Unless she's secretly super awesome or something.

You know the classic rumor: Maybe the best smash player is secretly out there, just playing in his or HER basement? A secret grandmaster?

This could be it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Superspright

Smash Lord
As everyone has said: Kirby sucks. Play Ganon if you know how. Fair all day. Tries to swallowcide? Fair it. Tries to approach? Fair it. Tries to retreat? Fair it. Tries to grab? Fair it. Techchasing? Fair it.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
2/3
lose first match
win the next
lose
compliment

ask for another challenge
lose, win, win

get her info
?????
profit

good luck, bro

and play pika!

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
If poundslap were here, he'd be like

KIRBY IS AN UNWINNABLE MATCHUP FOR MARTH BECAUSE KIRBY CAN DUCK AND MARTH CANT GRAB HIM

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Don't use Marth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR3Z0ecchYc

:D

On a more serious note: hack of course is far more familiar with the matchup (which with casual players is not necessarily the case. You don't even have to know the top tier match ups, if nobody you know plays the character =) ) then Ice was.
You can of course try your Marth, since he should beat Kirby pretty easy; if you feel you might be in a similar situation as Ice was (not finding a good answer to the rolls / crouches), you might want to go Peach. Peach is pretty awesome at punishing those, since downsmash stays out for so long, that rolls will still get hit by it (and if he crouches? Well, thanks for the free 50% =) )
Though, fox is really strong vs lightweight characters such as Kirby is; so if you are confident in your Fox that might be the way to go.

So, I'd just suggest sticking with the character you feel most confident with, it's usually the best choice anyways =)

Zodiac

Smash Master
Who beats kriby? Everyone but pichu...and even then.
not very technical? Kirby is a very limited character she will be forced to use the same tactics in different ways, looking for when and how is they key to winning.

Top Bottom