• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Have A Crew Batle Coming Up...

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Like the title says, I have a crew battle coming up and frankly, I'm a little nervous. I don't want to blow it for the team, so I'm debating whether to use good ol' Mewtwo or Falco. Problem is, the other crew probably has more experience against Falco. From what I know, the mains are Samus, Falcon, Sheik, and Link. Others are Marth, Fox, and IC's. Personally, I don't do great against Samus/Link with M2. I'm swinging more towards Mewtwo, unless we do some singles first. Thanks!

quak

Smash Champion
well do you want to win or do you want to have fun? :p

what's the format? 20 stock a team? Only get one chance to pick ur character assuming there are no friendlies correct?

Firstly, most crew battles will have some friendlies before you get to the business. If there is, play test and make ur decision from there.

If not, play which ever one you think wins more matches.

If it's too close to tell, pick whichever one is more reliable, as in, doesn't choke under pressure.

If it's a tie again, pick mewtwo, cause i said so.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Agreed. It is something you should probably talk with your crew about. However, I have seen videos of your Mewtwo. It is quite impressive. If you main as Mewtwo and he is your best and you like to play as him, you might as well.

Besides, Mewtwo is just so much cooler than Falco.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, we did talk about it x_x They told me the same thing. "It's up to you, but they probably have more experience against Falco." I might end up going along with Mewtwo though, everyone in the crew tells me that it's akward to play against it. Oh, it's 4 on 4 since they can't find a fifth man. 16 stock each, team, no character switches, 1 match. It's probably gonna be tomorrow, IF my parents let me go -_-

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
well...
Samus, Falcon, Sheik, Marth, AND Fox all have significant advantage over mewtwo. considering you also main falco. its not a bad idea to use him.

i would fully root for you regardless what character you use and hope you do well and destroy them all ^^

mewtwo matches ARE much more fun to watch xd. oh.. and please see if you guys could record <3

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I find Sheik, Falco, and Fox to be Mewtwo's easiest matchups, in that order from easiest to not quite as easy. Fox is only tough because of the up smash and up air, otherwise, he would be by far the easiest. Mewtwo vs. Fast fallers FTW.

I find Samus to be neutral.

Most Mewtwo players find Marth to be tough, so chances are, you would have some trouble there. I have played a million Marths myself, so I personally don't have any problems with them specifically, but that is just me.

I still suggest playing Mewtwo, if not for the cool factor alone. :cool:

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I saw a vid where Taj's marth lost to omar's shiek, but then in round 2 he switched to mew2 and 2 stocked omar's sheik.

I've also seen ur vids, ur no noob, so its not like you dont know what ur talking about. Go with mew2. let me know how it goes.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
from my experience, shiek and falco destroys mewtwo.

but it ALSO might be the fact that the shiek and falcos i played are number both tied for first place in canadian BC power rankings.

fox IS a fun match up though. <3
as long as you keep the combos up and handle approaches carefully...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Please play mewtwo man i've seen your mewtwo and he is no joke, and get recordings of this cause i've never seen a mewtwo in a crew battle, that would deff break up the redundency of fox falco sheik and peach every single time :)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
against Link? didn't you see Mow's post? use D tilt + D throw and have a drephen-style frenzy (using 2 moves)

"2 moves is 2 good"

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Nope, trying for this weekend. Can't make any gaurantees though. I'm definetly going with Mewtwo though. It'll put alot of weight on my members, but I think they'll manage. It all depends on who gets matched up against Samus and Sheik IMO. I doubt that I'll be able to kill off Samus*coughSPAMUScough* since he abuses those missles. Well, while we wait I suppose we could throw in some character strategies? I have good experience against Link and Sheik but I don't play Fox, Samus, IC's and Marth often. I wanna hear those strats!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
They will probably put the shiek or samus first so I defintily wouldn't reccommend playing first in the crew match..

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well against a godd fox you will NEVER win. They can just laser camp you and you will die. However I havn't found a fox that is that terrible to this day so don't worry to much about that. When playing foxes you want them to rush you obviously. So wait for them to come to you. They are going to do one of two things. Come at you with SHFFL'd arials or dashdance to grab. Howver only the latter would happen in the fox had experience playing mewtwo. So for now lets say that this fox going to be SHFFLing arials at you. There are two plans of attack in this case.

1. Shield them and see how well your oppoent can handle the L-cancle against m2's shield. If you notice that they are faltering alot you can definalty use this to your advantage and try to set up some SG. However if you notice that they can constantly hit the L-canlce than I would suggest another plan of attack.

2. Out spacing. Now to do this you nee to have a good WD allaround and you definatly nee to be able to do some really fst WD dances. All you need to do WD backward when you can see that his spacing is a off a little and use M2's huge grabe range to catch fox in mid jump or when he alands on the ground. However if the fox decides to shine you need to be carefull.

All i'm trying to say is you need to observe and see how well they aer using there shine and how ofton. Now fro the second and this case much worse case, a dash camping grabby fox. In this case your going to have to rush him (which you really don't want to do) or your going to somehow shake him from camping.

1. Rushing Fox. This is not a very good idea at all, becaseu M2 doesn't have any really solid approaches. I cannot give you any help of this subject because it's exteramly situational. Just remember all of m2's rushes
WD D-tilt
WD F-tilt
WD Grab
SHFFL N-air
ext.
I would try useing some and experimenting however plese not that this should only be used as a last resort.

2. Breaking the Dash camping. The only real way to do this is to throw SB or to try and coax him out of it by gettting close and then retreating. With the shadow balls you can try and throw off his rythem. He will have 2 options, jump or shine. Now if he jumps you can move forward and get closer to him. Hopefully he will try and arial on you and you can set some sort of counter attack up depending on the situation. If he decides to shine he will most likely do, you may also be able to get something off. when he shines the SB out of the way he probably won't Jump cancle the shine. If he doesn't you haev a few moments to try something. Teleport, roll whatever. Try and get to him if you can. If he decides to just shield the SB you can simply get closer to him and perhaps WD grab or just fake WD attack.

Now for edge guarding. If this fox has M2 experience he probably wont be trying alot of shadow fox which is a super easy setup for a d-smash. however if he does decide to go fire fox then you can do a few things to screw him up. Remember when fighting space animals you need to capitalize EVERY time you get them off of the edge. Because once you let them back on it's like a whole new stock. Ok back to firefox. You can always try balsting them with a fully charged SB if they are coming below or are level with the stage, however if they are above the stage trying to come back I would suggest a U-tilt of an angled F-tilt if the situation presents it'self. If the fox or falco is "riding" up the side of the stage, set M2 a little distance away from the edge and D-smash for an easy kill. You can try d-smashing them when thery are trying to firefox if they are either far away or well below the stage. I would suggest only useing D-smash then and when you do wake sure that you are a little ways off from the edge so you also don't get burned with Up-B

If you feel comfertable enough you can always try to jump out and try to B-air fox when he is charging his UpB However if you fight a falco NEVER go out after them!! There Forward B-is a semi spike and you can die quike easily. When fighting Falcos just wait on the edge.

Ok now for m2's "combos" At low % ie. Under 36% you can U-thrwo Fox and Falco to Fair. If the oppoent doesn't know how to DI correctly you should be able to get them in a nice chain of F-airs And if you can SHFFL well you can easily get them to 50+% After 50% your going to have to get damage anyway you can.SO probably try your D-tilit compos, or perhaps D-throw. The only problem with useing d-throw is that if they teck away from you your going to have a hard time chaseing them. M2 has some nice D-tilt and Forward dash attack combos on fox. With the D-tilt you can just chain more D-tilts, F-tilit, or shadowclaws. With the dash attacks you can use a SHFFL'd fair into an U-air. IMO this is situational however it is a good way to rack up some damage.

A fully charged shadowball will kill a space animal at 70% So take that into consideration.

Ok well I think that I pretty much covered what I can think of when playing fox. Sorry If I forgot anything. Also Good luck!

Now Marth.

Marth is another one of M2's worst enemys, and is not a really fun match to play. When playing marths your only option is to hopefully lure them into attacking and force a whiff. When fighting marths DO NOT take to the air. All of your air moves can be easily be out ranged and out prioritized by marths. The only exeption to this rule is if you can somehow make them miss a F-air and you may be try to go for a Nair. However don't depend on this teck. too much becasue it is way to situational. I would suggest only going into the air if the marth is in one of your "combos" However other than that I would definatly stay grounded. Marth has some nasty grabs so your also going to have to watch out for those grabs to F-smash. Try and avoid this at all costs becasue that is probably they way that he is going to take you down.

Recovering shouldn't be to much of a problem for you. Just make sure taht when you are going back twards the edge, look at the way marth is afcing. (He will probablly be charging up F-smash or Neutral B. Just go behind him. If he decides just to wait there you should probably sweet spot the the stage. Noramally they will try a hast F-smash and with the insueing LAG and you can just get back on with no problem. Now if you get marth off of the board, you should try and use M2k's shield teck. IMO i think that it works really well and this teck should definatly be emplloyed. If you decide to go off and chase marth off of the board be carefull of his D-air becasue it OWNS!! so use with caution.

Now alot of marhs can definatly be cocky. That's what you want. Because this is an easier player to play against Ill start with this sinario first.

Now these "cocky" marths are going to try and tipper F-smash on you. Alot. All you have to do is have a great WD and just WD camp marth. All you have to do is wait. play the waiting game. MAKE HIM RUSH YOU!!! keep moving and try to screw up his tipper spacing. As soon as hiw whiffs run in with a WD Grab if your in range, or if you are a little short try a WD D-tilt and go into combos from there.

Now for the smart marths.

This is going to be alot harder because these players are not going to whiff as ofton. However your going to need to make them wiff. you need to have a solid shiel and WD out of shield. When playing marth it's actually safer to be closer to marth. So if your going to move in and go into a combo stay close. Other wise keep you distance, becasue one good tipper will send M2 flying. I am just going to say again that you need to be carefull and feel them out. Be patient, let them come to you. In this match you cannot be the aggressor. You need to wait for the opening, and take advantage of the opeinings.

Maths are emtremly situational and I cannot really give you alot of help. Every marht you play is going to be situational. Just take each one with a lot of discression.

Now onto IC's

I don't really like to play the IC's because they take away the one thing M2 has going for him, Grabs. You cannot grab the ice climbers effectivly, becasue the other one will come and hit you in the face. If you do happen to get a grab off I would suggest useing F-throw. The reason I say this is becuase F-throw will "catch" the other IC in the resulting malestorm of SB. You cannot depend on grabs to rack up damage against the IC's so your going to have to come up with something else.

When I play the IC's I like taking to the air because It will take away most of there grab games. Which is good. Really good. I generally use M2's AOE attacks. Ie. Nair. Nair will catch both of the IC's in it and you can deal some good damage to them. However be carefull when using Nair because it can be out spaced. So take great care when using this move. I always try and throw the IC's off of the edge as soon as possible. I like to try and keep the IC player off balance and this is one of the better wyas to take adavantage of Nana's stupidity. You can jump out after the IC's however I would watch out for thier UpB becuase it is a great recovery (If there by each other) Other than taht I usaually like to nair them, or you can always just wait with a D-smash or charaged SB. Sweet spotting is difficult with the IC's so SB or D-smash is a good option.

Don't worry too much about recovering from the IC's becasue you can just tele awa, or just swet spot to tele. All you really have to be concerned about is there grabs.

IC's love to grab it is the core of there game. So I would suggest trying to find approaches that will somehow disrupt there grab game. You cannot out camp the IC's because they hare a superior projectile to you. Your gonig to have to get aggresive. However make sure that your aggresive tendancies are still cept under wraps. Don't just rush in blindly. The only really option you haev if you decide to rush from the ground (becasue hey going from the air all of the time can definatly get predicable) is probably WD Dtilt or WD F-tilt.

IMO IC's are definatly not a fun match up with M2 your definatly limited in what you can and cannot do.

SAMUS (the camping missle tramp)

Samus is a tough match for M2 (especially of FD) You are once again forced to rush her, because lets face it, Samus projectile> yours. So if your going to be playing a spammy Samus I would just use your F-tilt to neutralize the missles. Now this teck just is a delay method. Your not going to be winning any battles by just destroying her missles with F-tilt. Insted by doing this you can hopefully make the Samus player realize that spamming missles isn't going to give them the victroy and hopefully they will decide to rush you. However if they are they type of Samus that shoots a missle and the trails it, you need to think fast. You can try and outspace, or you can take a chance and destroy the incoming missle with F-tlit and hope thath you have enough time for another attack before you get hit in the face.

Now another bane of M2 players is going to be bombs. There is really nothing you have against them. However you can always shoot in shadowballs and hopefully do some damage, however you can always take that calculated risk and go and attack while taking the bomb damage. Samus is a hard character for m2 to combo, she isn't a FF so racking up CONTINUED

Sorry about just cutting the post off but Ill post more later tonight when I have more time. And finish answering all of your questions Godd Luck and Best wishes! :)

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I don't have much time to write at the moment Lava, I will give you some tips a bit later. Just have some little tidbits to add.

I must say that I disagree with your very first statement, Tongji. Rule of thumb; never say never. The most dangerous thing Fox has against Mewtwo is up throw to up air. Be extremely wary of that.

Marth is ultra dangerous if you are not cautious. If you just run in, you will set yourself up for failure. A Marth vs Mewtwo battle tests yours spacing skills to the extreme.

Will write with much greater depth sometime later.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Dguy, ok well you shouldn't win. All the fox has to do is laser/dash camp you to grab. I think that I stated this. From grab all for has to do is U-air. M2 has no chance when he has to rush fox. Or when fox is camping to grabs. That's all Im saying.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
One thing that is a common problem on these boards is that many people think in
absolutes. They think "There is nothing that X can do to beat Y if X uses tactic Z." The problem with this train of thought is that there are no real absolutes in this game. Everything is relative. One can be certain that one tactic beats another, but one cannot be certain that one tactic beats all other tactics. In reality, the mindset itself that there is nothing one can do to beat something is usually the factor that causes them to not be able to beat it. It becomes a mental block that can sometimes be very difficult to get passed. Just food for thought.

If you know what a Fox has to do to win, then you can predict that he will do exactly that and appropriately counter it. Fox has no win button against Mewtwo. Granted, he does have tactics that are highly effective, he does not have something that automatically wins the match for him. If it were that easy, then there would be more than ten Foxes in the state of Florida that could beat me.

Peace.

Edit: Now that I have some time, I can give some more character specific advice.

Against Fox, there are some key things to be aware of. It has been stated many times and it will be stated again; beware of up throw to up air. It is insanely dangerous. It both adds a ton of damage and can kill you at quite a low percentage on many maps. A Fox who knows how to play against Mewtwo will try and use this as their primary method of dealing damage and killing you.

Drill shining can be tricky, but is not invincible. Do not try to grab out of a drill shine. Unless the Fox is inexperienced, then you will not be able to shield grab out of a drill shine. I find that the best thing to do when being attacked by drill shine is to avoid getting hit by the drill at all. Wave dashing in the reverse direction works pretty much every time. Depending on your spacing and your opponent, your options for counter attack at this moment can vary. If you time it right and the situation is good, you may be able to hit them with a downtilt.

Against Marth, the game gets tricky. Marth has very quick and very long ranged melee moves.(Being able to wavedash out of shield effectively increases your Marth fighting ability by double in my opinion) If you just attack blindly, you will be hit hard with great ease on the Marth's part. To play this match successfully, unfortunately, you must really know every move of Marth's like the back of your hand. The tilts and aerials specifically. These when properly used by Marth can really destroy many of your options.

In my experience, this match is all about two things: Spacing and speed. First of all, you must be extremely good at spacing. You need to be able to move in and out of Marth's range the entire battle while still avoiding hits effectively. This is quite dangerous as the tipper also happens to be at the edge; one mistake and you will receive massive damage and possibly lose a stock. If you are not aggressive enough, the Marth will begin trying to space himself just right to take you down. This is where the speed comes in. You have to attack effectively and relentlessly throughout the entire match as to not give the Marth player any real time to think about how he should hit you. If you can get the Marth to just be desperately throwing aerials, tilts, and smashes at you in an attempt to slow you down, then you are doing well. Try to predict these moves properly and avoid and counter attack as you see fit. Again, it helps a ton to know all of Marth's moves as well as your own.

Against CF, I have less experience, but I can provide some brief info. Watch out for the knee. It is the knee of doom. Watch out for grabs like crazy. Pretty much every one of CF's good combos start with a grab. CF has plenty of combos that will completely annihilate you if you get stuck in one. Be very careful.

Unfortunately, I have no advice for fighting against the ICs. I just have not played against good ones enough.

Some general advice. First and foremost, do not become impatient or angry during a match. Maintain your composure as well as you can. Most people who grab instantly throw the enemy. Try and add in a few hits while you have the enemy grabbed before throwing them. Shadow balls are your friend. Hitting the enemy with a fully charged one does two things. First of all, it inflicts a good deal of damage. The second effect is sometimes overlooked. It is a psychological one. I have found that many opponents who get hit by a fully charged shadow ball at either zero or really low percent lose a large amount of will power. They feel that that life has just been wasted.

Small shadow balls should be used often. They can be used for a variety of things. If you throw a small one at an enemy they will either get hit by it, get out of the way by either jumping or spot dodging, they will hit it with another of their moves, or they will use their shield. Regardless, if you are close to the enemy when they do one of these, you can usually land a hit on them if you react properly. For example, if you are approaching someone and do a short hop shadow ball and then continue approaching and they spot dodge it, you will then be able to grab them out of the lag of the spot dodge.(Same with a shield) Some may say that spot dodging is something only noobs do in that situation. However, keep in mind that some "hotshots" like to try and look cool and perfectly dodge your projectiles whenever you throw them. Use this to your advantage.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Haha Hylian FTW

Please play the crew battle soon.. we don't need this to become a nother 100 money match with angelo bangelo ROFL

quak

Smash Champion
you didn't do half bad

tippers if you'd like to listen to em

SBC shadowball as an edgegaurd is best pulled off with mindgames and as a last resort, i saw that you went for that edge as opposed to intercepting fox's firefox with something that might kill him (ie bair)

work on chaining fairs, it really stacks on the damage, especially against fastfallers

yes upthrow confusion is sexy, but you really need to be psychic in order to know what ur opponent is going to do so you can follow it up with something. Personally, im not, so i stick with the fairs, uairs, or maybe a nair to knock em off the stage a little bit.

wierd, the fox didn't kill you vertically at all, work on ur DI a bit, you last alot longer if you can instictivly DI before you even get hit.

bad luck with the SD, i do that all the time when trying to tech ****

props for choosing mewtwo

Top Bottom