• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate Yoshis new recovery

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
The fact that the egg uplift-distance is momentum based really ****s up my gameplay big time.
Its because of the way heavy armor works now, I seem to get my upwards momentum taken away by medium-knockback hits at 60-80% and die because eggs dont let me travel upwards from any given moment anymore.
Its not only that, I also can't seem to find a good way to approach chars like Chrom and Lucina without shorthop eggs because those launch you up way too high now.
Everyone says the recovery got buffed but I feel like its not the case, if you hit yoshi during eggthrow he's so done.

I would love some tips or a discussion on the topic.

Last edited:

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
Also this feels like the first game where solo-maining yoshi won't cut it but thats a different topic.(might also apply to all chars don't know)

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
In smash 4, (per jump) egg throw jumped him up a bit on the first throw, leveled him off on the second, and continued falling on the 3rd. (Sorry if that's a poor description)

In smash ultimate, let's remove the momentum aspect a minute. Yoshi's egg throw pops him up on the first 2 eggs, then levels off on the third, and continues falling on the fourth.

Yes, adjusting to the momentum factor now feels weird, but it can significantly increase the jump height of both the first and second jumps, in the same aerial. Combined with maxed our air speed, yoshi can recover from just about anywhere. Plus, opponents will have trouble reading your position due to the more fluid mechanics of this.

PS- Thanks to yoshi's buffed kill move options, faster speed, "welterweight" class status, and disjointed tail attacks, this is the best game yet for solo maining.

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
TBH I was whining. I found many mistakes in my approaches and its not like its impossible to get something out of eggs now, one just hass to angle them right(like a Belmont axe)

1hipG33K

Smash Cadet
NNID
1hipG33K
3DS FC
2294-5791-6012
TBH I was whining. I found many mistakes in my approaches and its not like its impossible to get something out of eggs now, one just hass to angle them right(like a Belmont axe)
You definitely have to recalibrate egg throwing with ultimate. It's also important to learn when eggs bounce from when they break. You can gain more distance and better coverage now.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Nah, fam. Yoshi's up-b in this game's amazing. It allows for aerial chasing without burning both your jumps. That alone is worth it, cause you can KO confirm with up-b when they're in the air at about 100%-ish.

Top Bottom