• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate the hell out of fighting Samus.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
No, not Zero Suit, normal Samus.

Samus is literally THE MOST annoying matchup for me to deal with; every time she lands a hit, I have to get hit further.

I fall for Charge Shot shenanigans and her stupid forward aerial....and her stupid easy to land down aerial spike....!
And she ALWAYS manages to grab-and-throw me....

As you can see, and for ANY Samus player here who's fought 'Juuyoh' on For Glory, she is the character I absolutely dread fighting. It's as much as how Leffen hates her in Melee....

So....any advice...?

P.S. Anyone who laughs at me for failing to beat their Samus on For Glory conquests can laugh it up in my face. Cause she literally causes me THAT much stress. I'd take fighting a Yoshi over a Samus any day.

I also primarily use Falco, Fox, both Pits, Meta Knight and Wario (I DO NOT main any other high/top tiers).

Last edited:

Kabe - supernovafro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4164-7224-4723
As a PM Samus main, it's unfortunate that you're going through this difficult time. There are characters that annoy me too, in fact, everyone's annoyed by at least one or two characters. I hate Zelda the most, so I understand your issue. First off, Samus is in your head. The reason why you're losing to her **** a lot of the time is because you're frustrated and annoyed by the matchup, and being against her lowers your performance because you can't think straight. If you don't know what I'm talking about or think I'm spouting anime ****, do some research about the mental game and you'll have a better understanding.

Secondly, I can tell that the only icons you're showing here are from Smash 4, so I'm gonna assume you only play Smash 4. In Smash 4, Samus is sluggish and she's top of the E-tier for a reason. A lot of her tools from other instalments are either nerfed or not in Smash 4. What you need to learn is how to bait your opponent out, because her missile firing animation have a lot of ending lag, and you have enough time to attack while she's still open. Also, against ANY Samus, regardless of skill level, you should NEVER let them charge their shot. Once they have a charge shot cooked up and ready to fire, you're already anxious. That shine that emanates from the front of the cannon, that brings out anxiety. Don't let that get into your head. Anticipate what they're gonna do, because it sounds like the Samuses you fight are beginners. Experienced Samus players will always try to be one step ahead of you on the charge shot game. Plup is well known for this.

Third, how tf are you getting grabbed so much? Samus' grab is one of the most inefficient grabs in the game. If you're constantly getting grabbed by a Samus, you're doing something wrong. Spot-dodge or jump, because her ending lag from her grab is LONG. Get in there and attack. Forward air problems? You need to shield more. Either that, or you need to space yourself better. Forward air can be punished easy if you shield. It's a free shield grab. You spaced it out? Attack.

If you really want any of your characters to work against Samus, study the matchup and get used to it. Falcon is a great counterpick against Samus, but that's just in PM for me. I don't know much about Smash 4 matchups.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Best thing to do is to reflect her spam, avoid her very few kill moves, which is easy, and out range her in the air. Also her recovery is garbage if you know what to do about it.

Also, do you hate every matchup in this game? This is the fourth MU I've seen you ramble on.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Best thing to do is to reflect her spam, avoid her very few kill moves, which is easy, and out range her in the air. Also her recovery is garbage if you know what to do about it.

Also, do you hate every matchup in this game? This is the fourth MU I've seen you ramble on.
Well, I am a pretty bad player. So you can definitely rip me a new one for that.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata

Uh...she has plenty going for her in the way of kill moves...

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Right...let me answer that. Aside from Charge Shot, she has things like a well-placed back-air, up-smash, and Screw Attack for kills. If she has rage any high base KB moves (dash attack, down smash, down tilt) are possibilities. Side smash is another but it's a pain to sweet-spot and it recovers awfully slow. As y'all can see, that's a good number of finishers but most of them need the appropriate setup and IIRC she lacks KO confirmations.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Well, I am a pretty bad player. So you can definitely rip me a new one for that.
I cant imagine really what it is youre having difficulty with, Im a FG Samus player, maybe we could go a few rounds and I can see what exactly you need help with. Samus' grab maybe bad in neutral but she has plenty of traps to get a solid grab in. Good Samus players are often creative with their kits and rarely does a Spamus win the day. As for me I work with bomb traps, awkward strings, and tech chase charge shot kills. Add my NNID, im sure we can get your troubles ironed out.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I cant imagine really what it is youre having difficulty with, Im a FG Samus player, maybe we could go a few rounds and I can see what exactly you need help with. Samus' grab maybe bad in neutral but she has plenty of traps to get a solid grab in. Good Samus players are often creative with their kits and rarely does a Spamus win the day. As for me I work with bomb traps, awkward strings, and tech chase charge shot kills. Add my NNID, im sure we can get your troubles ironed out.
Here's the problem; I play on 3DS. : P

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Here's the problem; I play on 3DS. : P
That is a problem, well next time you fight a tough Samus, save the replay, and maybe we could help you see where to approach the MU and what your lacking. As a Falco main you have the MU in your favor, but you cant sleep on a Samus or theyll combo you to death.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
No, not Zero Suit, normal Samus.

Samus is literally THE MOST annoying matchup for me to deal with; every time she lands a hit, I have to get hit further.

I fall for Charge Shot shenanigans and her stupid forward aerial....and her stupid easy to land down aerial spike....!
And she ALWAYS manages to grab-and-throw me....

As you can see, and for ANY Samus player here who's fought 'Juuyoh' on For Glory, she is the character I absolutely dread fighting. It's as much as how Leffen hates her in Melee....

So....any advice...?

P.S. Anyone who laughs at me for failing to beat their Samus on For Glory conquests can laugh it up in my face. Cause she literally causes me THAT much stress. I'd take fighting a Yoshi over a Samus any day.

I also primarily use Falco, Fox, both Pits, Meta Knight and Wario (I DO NOT main any other high/top tiers).
Samus is a character you never want to lose your focus on while playing against her. I don't know about the 3DS's tech mechanics but Samus has quite a tool kit that can be lethal if her opponent is not paying attention.

I don't blame you for falling for the charge shot a lot. I stumble upon that quite a bit. The thing is when Samus has her neutral-B charged up, she can still spam the hell out of projectiles making it so aditional shield pressure is added and leaving a better chance of your shield breaking if she hits you with the charge shot while you're in shield. My advice is to approach her with good patience and rather than shielding, do spot dodges or rolls and mix it up so you can have enough shield power to avoid the blast.

Also... her dash attack. In my opinion Samus has the most annoying, most teeth grinding, most salt inducing, most hair pulling dash attack in the entire game and it straight up exposes how irritating and braindead people can really be in tournament and on FG. How annoying? Well the most I have been hit by a string of dash attacks IN SHIELD was 5 times..... Crap like that is why I have a salty hate for Samus players (not all) just like how Omni hates Ness players. I understand why they use it so much because it combos into aerials but regardless of whether I get hit by it in one match or not, people who abuse it piss me off. If you can keep yourself from getting hit by this move, that will save you A LOT of percent. My advice here is to shield as you slowly approach but be ready to do something other than shield because she may attempt to go for a grab instead of a dash attack.

Speaking of grab, if she misses it, GO FOR THE PUNISH! A missed grab is what I personally almost always look out for because it leaves her wide open.

One last thing to remember is her get-up options when she is clinging to the ledge. Keep these options in mind and look out for them because some of these are punishable if she misses and you can use them to your advantage.

Such options include:

- Your traditional get-up, get-up roll, get-up jump, or get-up attack.
- She can let go of the ledge and immediatelty input a forward aerial to brush you off and take back stage control.
- If her Neutral-B is charged, she can let go of the ledge, short hop, and surprise you with it.

Now obviously, if you can read her get-up and you are correct on what she chooses, you can punish that. For her F-Air get-up, keep your guard up and be ready to shield so you can immediately punish her out of shield after she lands OR if she decides to grab the ledge again, she will lose invicibility and you can go for a quick down-smash (if you have a character who's D-smash touches the ground and the ledge). Punishing the neutral-B is a little more difficult because the move inches you away from her while you're in shield making a follow up with a D-smash harder to land. This is also where you have to pay attention to her. If she is glowing, that means the full charge is ready to go so that is when you want to consider that option.

Anyways, hope this helps! Just keep your defensive game up and pay close attention to her and all she is doing as well as if she has her neutral-B charged. If she does other methods like retreat for a second, stop moving, and then run towards you for a dash attack, she is trying to mind game you and confuse you. Good Samus players (from my experience) love to do that so even if she retreats, don't lose your guard. Defense is key in this matchup.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Jesus Christ.

Just fought this guy named mario from Puebla, Mexico. And yes, he used Samus.

I basically was on edge at some point first against him with my Meta Knight, but alas...I started to falter and the guy was in my head.

I basically then started to troll a bit as Wario and he basically took free shots at me and taunted and teabagged me.

I assume I need to have my mom assaulted 1000 times by these kinds of players in order to improve, cause I assume I'm supposed to hate myself more for ever fighting against these Nairo-like players as opposed to getting salty.

Samus is just horrible for me to fight against, especially with arrogant Mexican players behind her.
And perhaps yes, I shouldn't have fought against that specific player as many times as possible if I knew I was gonna lose each time and that he was going to be inside my head so he can **** on my corpse in the future.

Last edited:

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
Sounds like you're stressing way too much to overcome your glitch. Until you calm down about Samus, I have doubts you'll get over it. You need to figure out how to relax.

For instance; at small tourneys standing kills my nerves and wrecks my game play. I have to sit. If you are stressing this bad after the match I imagine during the match your face is melting.

Figure out how to zen then you will have an easier time.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Jesus Christ.

Just fought this guy named mario from Puebla, Mexico. And yes, he used Samus.

I basically was on edge at some point first against him with my Meta Knight, but alas...I started to falter and the guy was in my head.

I basically then started to troll a bit as Wario and he basically took free shots at me and taunted and teabagged me.

I assume I need to have my mom assaulted 1000 times by these kinds of players in order to improve, cause I assume I'm supposed to hate myself more for ever fighting against these Nairo-like players as opposed to getting salty.

Samus is just horrible for me to fight against, especially with arrogant Mexican players behind her.
And perhaps yes, I shouldn't have fought against that specific player as many times as possible if I knew I was gonna lose each time and that he was going to be inside my head so he can **** on my corpse in the future.
My advice man is you gotta study the MU with Samus. Every hardened Samus main knows the MUs very, very well. It's that knowledge that gives Samus' an edge at times because the opponent doesn't think they need to worry about Samus. If you have discord, join the Samus discord, it's active and top players are often there willing to give advice for either a samus main or someone struggling with the MU.

Top Bottom