• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I got to play 10 games with Pac-Man today and here are some changes other people might not have noticed.

Purpledebo

Smash Cadet
Ok so all the games i played were 4 player timed Free For Alls so you won't be seeing anything regarding damage buffs and the like.
Items were enabled and timer was set to 2:50.

I'll start off by quickly summarizing the notable things that happened during my playtime.

1. Hydrant BEATS Witch Twist in Ultimate (and other recovery hitboxes as well)
- This one immediately caught be off-guard. In smash 4 Bayonetta's Witch Twist was practically intangible due to its monstrous hitboxes. Only Pac-Man's cherry and strawberry were able to hit bayo out of her Up-B, which worked, but only delayed the inevitable. She would still get back on stage without any concequences due to the knockback simply being too weak. In the demo someone playing Bayo was recovering low and I decided to drop a hydrant off-stage on them (muscle memory) and it launched her at a good angle away from the stage setting up for several potential edgeguard situations. Though due to items being turned on i couldn't really expand on this opportunity (it being hectic and all) but it was definitely a pleasant surprise for me.

2. Saying Side-B "got buffed" is an understatement.

- Neutral-B (Bonus Fruit) no longer gives you momentum in the air, this is something that most of us already know. What a lot of people don't know however is that Side-B gives you way more momentum in the air while aiming the pellet, and it feels amazing. the range of the move got buffed as well, but not in the sense that it would kinda hinder you similarly to one of Pac-Man's custom moves in Smash 4. You can press and immediately let go of the button and it will still travel a pretty far distance. And don't get me started on how much faster Pac-Man chases that dot or its knockback + armor (the armor part being speculative).

Some more stuff i found out while playing the demo

- falling Nair combos into Ftilt
- Falling F-air combos into run SH F-air, and another F-air depending on their DI

- Utilt has HUGE vertical range but pisspoor horizontal range ( i could catch jumps above Lylat's platforms with this)
- Utilt combos into Uair which comboed into N-air (this was on DK btw)
- Pac can now follow up with other aerials after hitting the opponent with Uair ( it's a better combo aerial)
- F-air Key connects earlier
- Pac's dash dance + ground mobility feels good.
- Cherry feels like it has more hitstun (?) it could give me a free grab confirm and the opponent couldn't act for a suspiciously long timeframe
- D-air is safe on hit and on block, has almost no landing lag and felt like Smash 4 Mewtwo's Nair in a lot of aspects. ( it may be Ult Pac's best aerial from my impressions). The first 3 hits also seem to have bigger hitboxes. I was hitting 2 people at the same time with D-air and they weren't even directly underneath Pac-Man.

- oh, and glitches such as Crazy Pellet are gone as well. this was the first thing i tested when i got to touch the game.
-Usmash kills notably earlier than Fsmash too, and i had no trouble linking the first hit into the second one.

The strange thing that i don't have an explanation of:
- You know in smash 4 when you're trying to launch the hydrant at your opponent but your opponent hits it right before you do, so you end up getting hit by both? Well something odd happened during a Ultimate match. So I hit the hydrant with B-air and was standing behind it, ready to launch it with an ftilt, but one of my opponents (playing DK) decided to throw out a raw Fsmash against the hydrant. He did this faster than me too, but get this...the hydrant did NOT get launched by his F-smash, it got launched by my Ftilt that came out noticably later than DK's F-smash, with DK getting hit twice as a result.
Now I have no idea what was going on there. When the opponent cancels the water hitbox of the hydrant they experience significantly more lag than Pac-Man so maybe that's the case with the hydrant too? Who knows.

I wrote this directly after i got home from this event, so sorry if this post comes across as a bit disorganized, I really wanted to share this here.

xzx

Smash Lord
Which demo version was it? E3 demo or "demo 2"?

I can confirm that Pac-Man's Dair is amazing. (Though it is not overpowered by any means.) (I played the E3 demo (sadly) and not "demo 2".) I'm just waiting for Sakurai to unjustifiably nerf it at launch and repeating history...

Purpledebo

Smash Cadet
Which demo version was it? E3 demo or "demo 2"?

I can confirm that Pac-Man's Dair is amazing. (Though it is not overpowered by any means.) (I played the E3 demo (sadly) and not "demo 2".) I'm just waiting for Sakurai to unjustifiably nerf it at launch and repeating history...
it was the E3 demo, i still believe "demo 2" is nothing more than a hoax

i can't say for sure how good Pac-Man will be in this game, but i'm 100% certain i'll enjoy playing as him

Top Bottom