• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Give Up On Mario. What Should I Do Now?

Dreambeatz

Smash Rookie
I don't know why but I feel like Mario is just completely trash in Ultimate. You hear all these Mario players saying "He's better in Ultimate than Sm4sh" when you can you just knock him offstage and he's just a goner. He's terrible at recovering and experienced players escape from Mario's combos like it's a piece of cake. Also half the **** you see people pull off with Mario you can't do. Like I've practiced and practiced and practiced 24/7 with Mario but nothing works. Sword characters just destroy Mario and there's no way around it. Like he just loses unless it's a ****ing heavy character that's inexperienced then Mario wins. Like I don't know what I'm doing wrong and maybe I'm thinking the wrong way but I just don't see why anyone should play Mario in Ultimate.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Two pieces of advice:

1. Keep practicing. You'll get there.

2. If anything, Mario has a healthy meta in Ultimate. This is especially evident where he was one of the most used characters out of the top 128 seeds at Genesis 6. Zenyou and Dark Wizzy are especially doing great with excelling in the meta and making Mario all the greater, and Teb and Rice are doing pretty alright as well, even though Zenyou and Wizzy are on a different level.

The reason why you probably see him as "trash" in Ultimate (when really he's got good tournament results right now) is because he is HARDER to play in Ultimate than in Smash 4. His combos are just as good (if not better) but they are harder to pull off because you can't do grab --> d-throw --> u-tilt and u-air --> profit like in Smash 4. In Ultimate, his up air strings are still very solid, and SJP is a much more reliable kill option. However, the set up to pull off such a great combo is harder to set up because Mario's grab game is nerfed. However, his combo game was slightly buffed to compensate.

Besides, his recovery is fine. It's simple and straightforward, but it functions. It is possible to pull off his combos but you need to set them up appropriately and follow-through appropriately. And, sword characters always give him issues because of his weak range, but he can get around that with smart play (and it helps that his frame data is excellent).

Finally, with focusing on the phrase "I don't see why anyone should play Mario in Ultimate"...First of all, Mario may be tough to master but he's easy to pick up. He's straightforward and user-friendly. Secondly, his combo game is very impressive once you get a handle on it. Thirdly, his kit has more utility than most characters in the game, and because of the sheer amount of options he has, it makes him a popular character in the meta right now.

Try watching this. Shulk is one of Mario's hardest matchups in Smash Ultimate (IMO), and yet Zenyou is able to take out the best Shulk main in the world right now: Nicko...and 3-0 too.

Top Bottom