• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I found a cool new Wario tech for competitive play!

SpicyMango

Smash Rookie
Okay so playing some local matches with my friends, I discovered something that I've never seen another Wario do. I found it on complete accident. So as fellow Wario mains I imagine we sometimes have a hard time finishing off the stock. Well what i found out is that once at a high enough percentage (to play it safe I'd say it's around 75-90+, depending on what character you're going against and their weight) but here are step by step instructions.

-Opponent at a high enough damage
-short hop down air
-fast fall to cancel the down air
-the hit stun from the down air will have your opponent frozen in the air
-immediately follow up with a quick upsmash and BOOM!
stock is gone

This is a very very effective tool as I have been practicing it quite a bit and it really is a very good option to kill with Wario.
I hope other Wario mains out there will start using this to get a one up on players. Now a few cons, depending on the player they might be able to escape and also depending on the character if they have a good nair (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Shiek, etc.) you can and will get bodied. But it's a very high risk high reward tech that definitely is worth it if you land it!
I will try to put a video once I record one on my elgato so please give me sometime!:4wario2:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Yeah I've been using this too. Whenever I use this move and I'm not high up in the air, I always try to cancel the D-air for follow-ups. As you say, Up Smash works wonders. At lower %, I usually go for Up B, too :D

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Yes, please put up a video if you can. I'm a little confused to be honest.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
1. This is not new tech. It became pretty popular in the early summer.
2. This does not work on every character in the game.
3. This approach is really good if you have already damaged their shield so you know your d-air will shield poke(for example, I do it if I waft their shield), otherwise it's not safe in neutral to just throw out unless maybe you're really desperate for a kill.

cowboykneebop

Smash Rookie
Okay so playing some local matches with my friends, I discovered something that I've never seen another Wario do. I found it on complete accident. So as fellow Wario mains I imagine we sometimes have a hard time finishing off the stock. Well what i found out is that once at a high enough percentage (to play it safe I'd say it's around 75-90+, depending on what character you're going against and their weight) but here are step by step instructions.

-Opponent at a high enough damage
-short hop down air
-fast fall to cancel the down air
-the hit stun from the down air will have your opponent frozen in the air
-immediately follow up with a quick upsmash and BOOM!
stock is gone

This is a very very effective tool as I have been practicing it quite a bit and it really is a very good option to kill with Wario.
I hope other Wario mains out there will start using this to get a one up on players. Now a few cons, depending on the player they might be able to escape and also depending on the character if they have a good nair (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Shiek, etc.) you can and will get bodied. But it's a very high risk high reward tech that definitely is worth it if you land it!
I will try to put a video once I record one on my elgato so please give me sometime!:4wario2:
at lower percents you can get an uptilt off because upsmash can't get out in time

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
at lower percents you can get an uptilt off because upsmash can't get out in time
U-tilt (12 frame startup) is actually a frame slower than U-Smash (11) :p. Although I don't normally platform cancel d-air at low percents as it's inconsistent and risky, the best options based on Kurogane's frame data are probably corkscrew (6), chomp (8) and N-air (10) - (4+6 jumpsquat frames).

Roots

Smash Cadet
U-tilt (12 frame startup) is actually a frame slower than U-Smash (11) :p.
Don't know if it makes a difference but utilt's intangibility begins on frame 5, so if they can't jump out in time would you be able to beat out an aerial they use, like a nair, then hit with the frame 12 hitbox?

Unsure about how intangibility works though or how its different from invicibilty

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Warios up tilt beats out most aerials, the intangibility is on the hands and Warios face from what I've read. I think it actually traded with another aerial once, for me, I believe it was luigis nair.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Unsure about how intangibility works though or how its different from invicibilty
I think it's the same property as Wario's U-air as that would make sense. Reflex described it in his U-air video as lacking a hurtbox in that spot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKWuKIN64Qg.

It differs from invincibility because instead of blocking an attack, it never hits that part so it doesn't beat the attack, it avoids it. What this means is if the opponent's hitbox manages to hit where Wario isn't intangible (body) as they get struck by the U-tilt hitbox, both characters will get hit as opposed to invincibility which would win.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Linking stuff from D-Air is entirely dependent on your Rage, not the opponent's percents (because the linking hits have set knockback, it combos just as well at 0% as it does at 999%). I don't think D-Air -> U-Smash is ever a true combo even at max Rage; that likely requires your opponent to try and attack you after D-Air. Jumping out is always an option with that much space between it. I'd only really advocate Waft with high Rage as reliable, though N-Air/F-Air might work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom