• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I finally have the ability to clutch out sets:" Kanto TO and Top Ryu takera on Leveling Up

takeraJucchan.png

Graphic by TheRealHeroOfWinds

NOTE: This interview was submitted to the Smashboards team by Jucchan, a bilingual Super Smash Bros. for Wii U enthusiast living in Japan.

I had the opportunity to speak with takera at Umebura 27, which was held in Tokyo on July 1st. takera, who resides in the Kanto region, is one of Japan’s premier Ryu mains. Here’s what he had to say:

Hello takera, thank you for giving me for the opportunity to talk with you. First, could you tell us about your history with Smash Bros.?

I only started competitive Smash with Smash Wii U, though I did play a little bit of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I suppose that makes my history with the competitive scene only around 2-3 years.

You currently solo main Ryu, correct? Who did you use before DLC came along?

That is correct. Before Ryu, I mained Link.

You really seem to be on a roll lately, achieving 7th place at Umebura Japan Major. You’ve also won multiple Toryumon Weekday Tournaments, which you host yourself. Do you know of a reason for your recent successes?

I had a weak mentality, but my performance at Umebura Japan Major gave me confidence. I feel that I finally have the ability to clutch out sets.

takera shows off his newfound confidence in an impressive set vs. Lucario main Tsu.

I’d like to ask you about the Smashfests you host at your house. About when did you start hosting these?

I moved to Chiba prefecture in August two years ago. It was about half a year after that--February I think--that people really started to gather at my house.

I definitely have the idea that takera’s house is where the serious players are. You seem to have top players like Kirihara over often. I remember you hosting some tournaments there as well.

We are open to newcomers of course, it’s not like we only accept top players. I will say though that the event’s for people that want to play Smash. Other Smashfests sometimes dabble into other games, but we really only play Smash. I want the people that come to be motivated to get stronger.

You also started hosting the Toryumon Weekday Tournament series in April of this year. Could you tell me how this project began?

I started the tournament series because I wanted there to be more tournaments. At the time there were few tournament series in Japan, especially in terms of locals. Though coincidentally, the SUMABATOxCYCLOPS weekday tournament series did start around the same time. It was Ayuha that introduced me to [pro Street Fighter players] Momochi and ChocoBlanka, as well as their STUDIO SKY venue.

takera manages to take out Leonardo “MkLeo” Lopez at his own tournament series.

What were the biggest difficulties in creating this tournament series?

Well, the tournament is held on weekdays, so the players have other obligations during the day, such as work or school. As a result, it is often difficult to gather enough Wii Us. Also, venues in Tokyo are generally quite expensive.

You will be at Evo this year, do you have any specific goals in mind?

“My goal is to get 1st!” is what I would want to say. *laughs* I do have another goal, I want to defeat Locus. I want to show that I am the number one Ryu.

Any message for those who will be watching you at Evo?

I’ll raise a ruckus!

takera went on to take 5th at Umebura 27, defeating KEN and Tsu in the process. At Evo 2017 he placed 65th, falling to K9sbruce and fellow Japanese player 9B.

The following day, takera discussed Ryu with fellow players Locus, Chanshu, Jan, and REN (interpreter). You can find the Twitch vod here.

You can follow takera on Twitter and on Twitch. He is also on the compendium to be flown out to 2GGC: SCR Saga. You can support him on the event’s Smash.gg page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Top Bottom