• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I feel Smash Bros. should reference videogame creators as well

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This is really a nitpick but I always thought it would be cool if content creators of the videogame industry would be represented in Smash Bros. as trophies or something with a brief description of their career and their best achievements.

Imagine something like a trophy or possibly a new form of collectable of Shigeru Miyamoto with a small essay of what he represents to Nintendo and the industry as a whole, like explaining what franchises he helped create or simply innovations.

It could be like a diorama mode which puts a 3D model, or a drawing or something of Miyamoto, with a signature maybe, and all of his characters like Mario, DK and Link sorrounding him in original art, then put a small biography of what he did and a simple list of his contributions to all the games he worked on.

I don't know how legality would be a problem here since it wouldn't be about personal life or stuff like that, just credits basically and a cute nod, if the people involved agreed of course. Videogames as a form of media don't really pay much attention to content creators except the few which reached iconic status, so it would be nice.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
A trophy, maybe not. It would take a lot of time, and the real stars are the characters. It's a game about video games, not video games-makers. But it would be great if Smash had some kind of big encyclopedia, like the trophies' descriptions (the old ones, not the ones who try to be funny) but very expanded. And in this case, yeah, why not include a section about the creators... but that would be touchy, and it would alsmost certainly be disgustingly apologetic.

Shroob

Sup?
It's a cute idea, but a bit dangerous in practice. I feel like there should be a tribute to Iwata somewhere, unless I've missed it, but full blown tributes to creators is a bit shaky, to be honest, their characters getting into Smash in general is in a way a tribute to them.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Maybe some pre-made Mii fighters, with the names of creators... But I'm not a fan.
their characters getting into Smash in general is in a way a tribute to them.
I agree with that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wouldn't mind like a small section with informational blurbs.

But like... how do you choose which developers are chosen and which aren't?

Oddball

Smash Lord
Sorry. I can't support that idea. Maybe there might be one or two big names, but for the most part it's just "Guy in suit you never heard of, OTHER guy in suit you've never heard of. Still another guy in suit you've never heard of."

And honestly, how many people will even care than Suit Guy #12 was a level designer for Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and Kirby's adventure?

Leave them in the credits where they belong.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
This would get extremely touchy with 3rd party.

[Looking at Konami and the Metal Gear franchise]

UserKev

Smash Champion
It should only be Sakurai and Miyamoto if you want to add important individuals. Have them as Miis with exclusive taunts.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
It should only be Sakurai and Miyamoto if you want to add important individuals. Have them as Miis with exclusive taunts.
Iwata should also be mentioned. He was such a major figure in the production of EarthBound, Pokémon, and so many titles.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Iwata should also be mentioned. He was such a major figure in the production of EarthBound, Pokémon, and so many titles.
Um, Iwata has an Assist Trophy? He's brilliantly mentioned.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Continuing a discussion that started somewhere else :
Sakurai Presents.
Sakurai: Me! That's right, myself Masahiro Sakurai will be a playable fighter in the Pass as well as Reggie Fils-Aimé.
Is it bad that I would legit welcome that with open arms (no pun intended)?
You're not the only one. I would welcome Sakurai and Reggie as playable fighters too as well as Iwata if that was possible.
Oh God, please no. It would be as bad as Gokû.
Please don't compared these legendary Nintendo heads to Goku and Shrek like their meme characters please. I think they're the exception to the 4th party fan rule if they're even considered 4th party if not 1st party. Without Miyamoto creating Super Mario Bros., the 1983 Video Game Crash would have completely destroyed the industry and we haven't one today. Without Iwata helping out on Gold/Silver's map and helping out on translating Pokemon for the rest of the world Pokemon would have become the giant media powerhouse it is today and probably would have died out a long time ago. These men deserve it even though it would be weird.
They're related to video games, yes. So is Gokû, who was in lots of video games, some of them really good. In both cases, they're not video games characters. If you want to represent a real person or a character from something else, Mii fighters exist exactly for that.

That being said, we're off-topic.
But still, Miyamoto, Iwata, and Reggie are completely related to video games as as programers and CEOs while Goku is a sanime character who has had video games but is a manga character in origin.
And Miyamoto, Iwata, and Reggie are real persons in origin.
Still, they're important to Nintendo.
And Gokû is important to video games.
No, Goku is important to anime and manga. You can't denie Miyamoto and Iwata's legacy to the industry.
I don't. But you can't denie Dragon Ball's legacy to the video game industry either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom