• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I feel like dropping DK...

D

Deleted member

After getting mauled by Mario to the point of ragequitting, I'm starting to not enjoy DK. His disadvantage state and MU spread are like part of the top 10 worst in the game; he gets shut down so easily and I hate that.

But if I drop DK, I'll have no more characters I enjoy in this game, because other (better) characters I play get boring eventually. (I don't play competitively, btw, I just hate losing so much)

Convince me otherwise that DK is worth it.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
There is no convincing, only you know what you wanna do. If its any kind of guidance though, most people, competitive or otherwise play at a level where match ups don't matter. They really start to matter the closer you come to top level play. You may be able to overcome your issue by rethinking your strategy, maybe use mario for a bit to see where his weaknesses are.

Again though, nobody's gonna stop you from dropping a character if you really want to. If losing is enough to stop you from enjoying your character then it may be for the best.

LunarScribe0

Smash Rookie
Definitely agree. Pick whatever character feels good to play, and don't be afraid to try out others.
If you'd like to give DK a chance, though, here's some general advice I hope is helpful.
DK can hit like a train and get away with it, so be dominant and try not to give the Mario much time to begin his offensive.
Don't be afraid to go for meme plays either, that's key for DK and can make him feel a lot more fun.
Also trying to fair Mario off-stage is dangerous because of the cape, try to go for a dair (not sure if that's an issue you're having, but I used to struggle with it)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
After getting mauled by Mario to the point of ragequitting, I'm starting to not enjoy DK. His disadvantage state and MU spread are like part of the top 10 worst in the game; he gets shut down so easily and I hate that.

But if I drop DK, I'll have no more characters I enjoy in this game, because other (better) characters I play get boring eventually. (I don't play competitively, btw, I just hate losing so much)

DK is super fun to play, but sometimes his shortcomings are just too crippling. You can either get better and lose less often that way or you can start exploring other characters. I myself have started trying out other characters that are also fun and recommend you do the same (even if they aren't very good). Taking a break from DK might be what you need to recharge. He's too fun to drop entirely, but if you want to win there are too many bad/frustrating MU's.

At the end of the day, playing smash bros should be fun. Have fun playing the game. If that means playing less DK or no DK, then do it. If it means getting even better with DK and overcoming the bad MU's, then do it. I prioritize having fun over winning, so I still main DK.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

No one can convince you of that but yourself. From what I have gathered from your posting history, what you need the most is a change of mentality.

Losing doesn't have to make you feel miserable; it can be used as a learning experience and you can derive enjoyment from it.

I've felt the sting of defeat several times, but I've managed to grow to a point where I can look back at the match I lost and say to myself "You know, that was actually a very good fight".

Top Bottom