• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't understand why Sakurai and his team refuse to fix Ganondorf's issues that have held him back across three games.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I think it would have been a good idea to let Ganon have super armor on the aerial Warlock punch, so that way Ganon can just drop in right when the super armor frame is active and punish hard. I think Ganondorf's playstyle is more cautious in nature. Ganondorf doesn't need to chase after foes he has more than enough power to pull off damage equal to a B&B combo from a light weight like Pikachu in just a few hits. So Ganondorf mains don't have to worry about combo strings that much. All they have to do is watch and wait for an opening. Its also essential to master parrying to deter camping. Because once the camper sees you are good at parrying they are more likely to go in for an approach.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Parrying will always be inconsistent by nature since there is little in Smash that you can truly “react” to, but some moves giving you more frame advantage from parrying than others definitely helps. Just wish parrying or perfect shielding allowed you reflect projectiles like in Melee, especially with how zoner dominant current Smash is.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Tbh, we were JUST lucky enough to get a Ganon that uses the sword...

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In terms of custom special moves, Wizard's Dropkick is a mixed bag in the sense that while it may improve Ganondorf's horizontal movement in the air, you are sacrificing attack power, and the attack can even miss smaller targets when used on the ground. As for Dark Fists, while it was superior to Dark Dive in Smash 4, Ultimate did buff up Dark Dive's KO potency.

Another thing that's probably worth noting is that while Flame Choke can grab fighters, it ends up losing to other grab special moves, due to lacking the ability to rebound upon colliding with opposing grab hitboxes. That isn't right by any means.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I never understood why you can Down B off the ege so easily with Ganon and CF. Wish they auto grabbed ledge when using those in particular. There quite a bit of inconsistencies in every Smash game, but its just something to nitpick for me I suppose.

D

Deleted member

In terms of custom special moves, Wizard's Dropkick is a mixed bag in the sense that while it may improve Ganondorf's horizontal movement in the air, you are sacrificing attack power, and the attack can even miss smaller targets when used on the ground.
How about a compromise between grounded Wizard's Foot and aerial Wizard's Dropkick?

Jotari

Smash Journeyman

Imagine if :ultganondorf: kept these custom moves from Smash 4 and use them as their default special moves in Ultimate.
I certainly was hoping Warlock Blade would replace Warlock Punch when Smash 4 was out, but I can see why they didn't go that route when it was decided to make him use a sword for his specials. Aside from that, while I like all of his custom specials, I don't think there were any that came across as significantly better that they demand to replace his default specials. They had their pros and cons (mostly in improving his recovery game), but all in all they did buff his specials in Ultimate to make them more useful than before. I did say in my Fixing Ganondorf Thread that he could combine Flame Choke and Flame Wave though, given it's a command grab it'd be very easy to implement both using the whole Tap vs Press variation of specials some characters have. I much prefer choke over Wave, but having both would really mix up his tech chase options (by giving him the options to just not tech chase at all against an opponent who is expecting him to).
How about a compromise between grounded Wizard's Foot and aerial Wizard's Dropkick?
That could actually be quite cool. Despite it having increased shield damage, Aerial Wizard's Foot is still very suspectable to just being shielded. Though I'm not sure you could keep the very satisfying Meteor Smash it has if you give it that much horizontal movement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though I'm not sure you could keep the very satisfying Meteor Smash it has if you give it that much horizontal movement.
Wizard's Dropkick can't meteor smash, so you would end up sacrificing that if aerial Wizard's Foot had the properties of Wizard's Dropkick.
If you ask me, it wouldn't be much of a loss given that :ultganondorf:'s down aerial also exists, is less risky to use and is as satisfying to hit with than aerial Wizard's Foot, if not more.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you ask me, it wouldn't be much of a loss given that :ultganondorf:'s down aerial also exists, is less risky to use and is as satisfying to hit with than aerial Wizard's Foot, if not more.
When you put it that way, you do have a point. The biggest differences are the damage and knockback values. And of course, aerial Wizard's Foot's late hit actually KOs sooner than the clean hit, due to not being a meteor smash.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Ganon's default damage is already pretty insane. Every bone in my body wishes he had just 1 projectile though.. ><

D

Deleted member

Ganon's default damage is already pretty insane. Every bone in my body wishes he had just 1 projectile though.. ><
Giving him even a single projectile would imply having to revamp his whole moveset though.

Last edited by a moderator:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Not really. Sakurai could've done whatever he wanted. Byleth is a prime example. The character has stupid amount of passion put into him in comparison. Too bad Ganondorf isn't from Fire Emblem...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Take a look at all the characters who still lack a projectile since their first appearance in Smash, including those who use some in their home series such as :ultdk:, :ultjigglypuff:, :ultmetaknight:, :ultshulk: and :ultincineroar:.

It is a deliberate choice to not have given a projectile to them since then as it would clash too much with the design philosophy Sakurai has put in each one of them.

The least we can hope for :ultganondorf: is a move with a refection property, as :ultswordfighter: can use one without have a projectile in their moveset (as well as :ultminmin, as I'm on the fence to call her Ramram more like a disjointed hitbox rather than a proper projectile).

D

Deleted member

I recently learned that Wizard's Foot (along with :falconmelee:'s Falcon Kick) used to restore :ganondorfmelee:'s double jump if used in the air back in Melee.

Can someone tell if this mechanic was intentional or rather a glitch?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not sure, but it was probably just an oversight.

Speaking of Wizkick though, that reminds me, after sleeping on it for so long, finally started making Wizkick ledge cancel a part of my habitual gameplay; as a mixup of course.

It was just the random realization that most of Ganon’s normals knock the opponent off at mid % from mid stage (and earlier % for some other moves), allowing me to be in position to immediately do the ledge cancel.

With what limited options Ganon has, just even having a niche movement tool like this is hype. Is really the best thing current Wizkick's good for at the end of the day, aside from occasionally catching a landing, missed tech, or breaking a shield that isn't at full health when the move isn't staled.

Top Bottom