• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I don't understand how to use the spreadsheets

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
There's this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Rshc44YxOka4oxmmMRbKhfGJ9c/edit#gid=423287797

and this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xOka4oxmmMRbKhfGJ9c/edit?pli=1#gid=2084692387

I looked for others but couldn't find any, so if you know of them, could you please post a link in a comment?
Not trying to be a lazy baby, I've just tried to understand them without asking for help and if I'm being honest with myself it's like trying to read another language or do algebra: I literally just don't get it.

Specifically:
snake matchup data (KO%, Combo Trees, etc]
-what does the fall speed number actually mean, and how is it relevant? I get that the number reflects the various characters fall speed rates, but how that's helpful or what it means I can or cannot do is beyond me.

- The "Alignment" category: At first glance I thought that all the alphabetic groups in this category would correlate to how "boned" they get because of their weight, and I was expecting group A to be the heaviest and most boned and for group E2 to be the least boned, but then when I saw snake is in that group and Jigglypuff and peach are in group B1 that assessment is thrown into question, so I guess could someone explain what that means too?

-same as previous question but for "Advantage on hit"

-Up tilt, grab, Dair, c4 are the next categories and what scenario is the fact that it says "yes" or "no" referring to? Like what's the circumstance that those categories are informing me on?

PART 2:
I'm just going to call it "the second spreadsheet" because they have the same names, but differently named and catalogued cells of data.
(this spreadsheet I already posted above, but re-posting again just to be clear
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xOka4oxmmMRbKhfGJ9c/edit?pli=1#gid=2084692387

- What do the different groups represent?

what does 'alignment' mean, how are the categories organized, and how do I utilize that?

what do the color codes on fall speed and weight mean, and how do I utilize those?

If you have any more spreadsheets please comment a link so I can ask more dumb uninformed questions about them

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Since I'm the one that made these lemme give you the rundown:

First off, both of those links lead to the same spreadsheets. They only auto-open to different tabs of the spreadsheet, which is why they look different (they technically are two different sheets, but they're grouped together for a reason).

If you notice, at the very bottom of the window, there are tabs marked "f-tilt", "d-tilt", "u-tilt", and so on. Click on them and you'll find that the information changes and relates directly to the header of the tab. It's a means of organizing mass amounts of information more effectively. So this should answer a lot of your other questions, particularly "what do the yes and no indicate on the 'first spreadsheet'; the answer: they indicate whether the move they're listed under true combos off of f-tilt, because they're in the f-tilt tab".

As for what the fallspeeds, weights, and alignments mean, they frankly don't mean much to you, since you're not actively contributing to the spreadsheet like I am. For me, they're a handy guideline to what characters will be similar combo weights in order to group them accordingly so I have a vague understanding of how any particular move will combo 5 characters rather than having to understand all 41 independently.

All you really care about are the numbers after the column break, which are the percents these combos will work on the given character.

The color coding on weight and fallspeed fall into the same category where I selected semi-arbitrary points on the continuum as a way of dividing the characters into "combo weights" or "alignments". These matter because weight is used in the knockback formula and thus determines how much hitstun a character takes from a given attack, and thus determines what follow-ups you can get; and fall speed determines have far up they get launched in tandem with their weight, which can change which followups are viable: it's why fox, falco, and falcon get chaingrabbed really hard but puff grants almost zero followups on u-throw.

Advantage on hit indicates the number of frames you have to act on the given character after hitting them with f-tilt. This is an easy way for me to calculate which attacks are viable and which are not, as well as how much margin of error exists.

I'll take this as critique that my sheets aren't clear and comprehensible enough so I'll take the time to make them more user-friendly. :) I always was under the impression they were pretty understandable but I really only contact Snakes from the discord where they can ask me directly about something, or were present when I was discussing the tests. Thanks for reading!

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
cisyphus cisyphus are you going to add a category for the down-forward tilt knife, or is that not necessary for what you're trying to go for or what?

Alex~

Smash Cadet
I don't want to make a new thread for something simple, so i'll ask you here, @Yata, is crawl tilt an important move? im a pretty good snake player and I find myself using that move pretty much never. is there some use for it that I'm missing?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
It setups up KOs at percents where nothing else does and can low-profile OOS options on tall characters in ways d-tilt cannot since d-tilt raises you slightly and has less disjoint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom