• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I dont think smash is for me

d4rkf4wful

Smash Rookie
Every time i go into smash 4 wii u i lose every match sometimes dealing no damage. but for some odd reason
on 3ds i getting wins most of the time.I just think smash is not for me

Crystanium

Smash Hero
How often do you play in a week? Do you save videos of your losses? Do you try to pay attention to what your opponent is doing?

Visit Smashcords. You look like you use ZSS, so here's an invite. Also join Anther's Ladder if you haven't. Play to learn. Learn to win. (That's a neat slogan I just made. I think I'll hang on to it.)

d4rkf4wful

Smash Rookie
i play about 1 to 4 hours each day and yes i do save both wins and losses

Crystanium

Smash Hero
i play about 1 to 4 hours each day and yes i do save both wins and losses
Do you review those replays? As for those hours, perhaps you can provide something a little more specific? All I could get from that is an average, more specifically, (1+4)/2. That gives me 2.5 hours. Would you say that's about an accurate average? That would be 17.5 hours in a week. Even with hours like that, I have to wonder what the problem is. Do you think you're inconsistent with how you play?

d4rkf4wful

Smash Rookie
Yes, that is accurate. I don't watch replays the replays that often. I might be a bit inconstant with my play a little while ago I was winning games on Wii u

Pop_Drops

Smash Rookie
Maybe it's just your controller? Are you using your 3ds on Wii U? When I started playing, I just used the gamepad most of the time. I got my hands on some GC controllers, and I start practicing with those. I find it helps a bit with inconsistency. That, and almost every day I play a bit to prevent myself from forgetting things.

Since you save your replays of both wins and losses, I recommend you just watch them every now and then, try to study how the opponent plays.
(I wake up, play Smash, and the next thing I know, it's sunset. Oh well.)

Pop_Drops

Smash Rookie
Well, some people just do better using different controllers. You should probably stick to using the Pro controller, if you feel that is what you are comfortable with. However, you should try others and maybe get a feel for those.

I have a friend who sucks at using GC controllers, but is noticeably much better when using a Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yes, that is accurate. I don't watch replays the replays that often. I might be a bit inconstant with my play a little while ago I was winning games on Wii u
I think sometimes the problem can be inconsistency. You might play a certain way that works, and then the next day you play differently. What I'd recommend is when you play a certain way and it seems impressive to you, save that replay and watch what it was that helped. My brother pointed out two different things about how I played, and when I ended up not doing those things, he reminded me and it helped a lot. Give that a try.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Taking notes of things you notice during your replays can help too. Question why you get hit or landed a hit and think of a way that you can improve in that situation for the next time. Also if you are playing in for glory, don't put too much value into those games, it's only a small example of tournament play (usually the players that you willbe able to beat after some practice).

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Honestly Smash for Wii U is a boring game in comparison to Brawl. The game is just unrewarding, making unlocking characters a breeze and having nothing but Multi-man Smash as extra modes. Everything just takes too long to fully complete.

I also hate the changes to old modes, especially classic which just became boring and dull looking. It’s literally just multi-man battles, with random events dropping out of no where. The game lacks variety and stuff to do.

Just wait for the next Smash man, since you seem to not enjoy playing regular matches. All Wii U has for you is that, so either go back to older installments with more to do or hope that Ultimate has more variety.

D

Deleted member

Honestly Smash for Wii U is a boring game in comparison to Brawl. The game is just unrewarding, making unlocking characters a breeze and having nothing but Multi-man Smash as extra modes. Everything just takes too long to fully complete.

I also hate the changes to old modes, especially classic which just became boring and dull looking. It’s literally just multi-man battles, with random events dropping out of no where. The game lacks variety and stuff to do.

Just wait for the next Smash man, since you seem to not enjoy playing regular matches. All Wii U has for you is that, so either go back to older installments with more to do or hope that Ultimate has more variety.
Hold the phone did you just call smash Wii U
Boring compared to BRAWL because of a music change and that its it's easier to complete and their are more modes than Multi man trophy Rush classic smash run home-run contest it has plenty of things to do
Collect all of the custom moves which is pretty hard to do might I add collect all of the boost badges or whatever they're called (also hard) and don't even get me started on chain grabs and Meta Knight or Brawl in general hopefully this doesn't come out as offensive
Anyway now that my rant is done looking at replays and trying to fix what you do wrong is a good way to go about it know how to use your main and I can give you individual pointers if you specify what your main is hope I helped

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Hold the phone did you just call smash Wii U
Boring compared to BRAWL because of a music change and that its it's easier to complete and their are more modes than Multi man trophy Rush classic smash run home-run contest it has plenty of things to do
Collect all of the custom moves which is pretty hard to do might I add collect all of the boost badges or whatever they're called (also hard) and don't even get me started on chain grabs and Meta Knight or Brawl in general hopefully this doesn't come out as offensive
Anyway now that my rant is done looking at replays and trying to fix what you do wrong is a good way to go about it know how to use your main and I can give you individual pointers if you specify what your main is hope I helped
Brawl is honestly a better and more varied game tbh. I’m not a competitive Smasher, so my opinions may differ, but just looking at single player content, Brawl knocks Wii U out of the water in every way. Wii U’s modes are mainly just multi-man battles, like Classic has you chose between tons of multi-man battles, and All-Star is nothing but Multi-man battles. Classic mode had a better structure in the previous installments, like there was break the targets in between to lower the repetitiveness, there was also set places for big and metal battles unlike the random chance in Wii U where you get frustrated as the character knocks off a piece that has customs, which you want.

As for the extra modes, can that angry birds clone, Target smash, really hold a candle to the traditional target tests from Melee and Brawl. The Home-Run contest and Multi-Man are the same in both games so no comment. Also Trophy Rush isn’t nearly as fun as Brawl’s shooter mini-game, it just added even more variety to Brawl compared to any other Smash.

Brawl also had the Subspace Emissary, which added so much variety, as Brawl opened up its platform in roots. It was an 8 hour campaign with plenty of content, while Wii U’s big mode is Smash Tour, a board game that has the potential to be fun, but no one knows what they’re doing, and it felt lazily put together.

Custom Moves were awful in Smash Wii U though. They should have been easier to unlock as they are part of the characters, not something like trophies. It isn’t fun to unlock customs as they are completely random, so you have to rely more on luck than any kind of skill to unlock the things, doesn’t help that there are repeats.

I find Brawl way better than Wii U as the single player content was stronger and way more varied in Brawl. The game may not have the best competitive mechanics, but it was way more ambitious than Wii U, so I definitely preferred it more.

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie

I love brawl too so i'm not even knowledgable enough to say which game is better. But why would anyone want unlock things in a multiplayer fighting game? Who cares dude just fight and screw around with friends it's not about working for 2 days to unlock something that a 4 year old with no skill can, why go through the trouble for something that no one will give a **** about or appreciate?

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I love brawl too so i'm not even knowledgable enough to say which game is better. But why would anyone want unlock things in a multiplayer fighting game? Who cares dude just fight and screw around with friends it's not about working for 2 days to unlock something that a 4 year old with no skill can, why go through the trouble for something that no one will give a **** about or appreciate?
I guess my question to you then is, why should I play the other modes? Unlocking characters gave me an incentive to try out all the game had to offer and keep pushing for 100%. When I play Smash 4, the modes are already worse than what Brawl presented, and with absolutely no incentive to play them, then why should I play the modes. Characters were a good way to motivate players to do the extra stuff and see all aspects of a game, like how you had to unlock Ganon through events in Melee, it took work, but it felt really rewarding to unlock him by the end and look, about half the events are done, it encourages me to push through the game more. Otherwise I get the great reward of a trophy, that I’ll most likely never use, or nothing.

Honestly, unlocking characters does make me feel more appreciative of the game as I feel like I’m earning important things throughout, rather than the useless items randomly dueled out in Smash 4.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Brawl is honestly a better and more varied game tbh. I’m not a competitive Smasher, so my opinions may differ, but just looking at single player content, Brawl knocks Wii U out of the water in every way. Wii U’s modes are mainly just multi-man battles, like Classic has you chose between tons of multi-man battles, and All-Star is nothing but Multi-man battles. Classic mode had a better structure in the previous installments, like there was break the targets in between to lower the repetitiveness, there was also set places for big and metal battles unlike the random chance in Wii U where you get frustrated as the character knocks off a piece that has customs, which you want.

As for the extra modes, can that angry birds clone, Target smash, really hold a candle to the traditional target tests from Melee and Brawl. The Home-Run contest and Multi-Man are the same in both games so no comment. Also Trophy Rush isn’t nearly as fun as Brawl’s shooter mini-game, it just added even more variety to Brawl compared to any other Smash.

Brawl also had the Subspace Emissary, which added so much variety, as Brawl opened up its platform in roots. It was an 8 hour campaign with plenty of content, while Wii U’s big mode is Smash Tour, a board game that has the potential to be fun, but no one knows what they’re doing, and it felt lazily put together.

Custom Moves were awful in Smash Wii U though. They should have been easier to unlock as they are part of the characters, not something like trophies. It isn’t fun to unlock customs as they are completely random, so you have to rely more on luck than any kind of skill to unlock the things, doesn’t help that there are repeats.

I find Brawl way better than Wii U as the single player content was stronger and way more varied in Brawl. The game may not have the best competitive mechanics, but it was way more ambitious than Wii U, so I definitely preferred it more.
I guess no one is really wrong here because I enjoy unlocking everything just to say I have it I think custom moves were really good you not being a competitive player makes you saying that brawls better a little bit more understandable in my opinion brawl is one of the worst fighting games especially by a competitive standpoint

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie
I guess my question to you then is, why should I play the other modes? Unlocking characters gave me an incentive to try out all the game had to offer and keep pushing for 100%. When I play Smash 4, the modes are already worse than what Brawl presented, and with absolutely no incentive to play them, then why should I play the modes. Characters were a good way to motivate players to do the extra stuff and see all aspects of a game, like how you had to unlock Ganon through events in Melee, it took work, but it felt really rewarding to unlock him by the end and look, about half the events are done, it encourages me to push through the game more. Otherwise I get the great reward of a trophy, that I’ll most likely never use, or nothing.

Honestly, unlocking characters does make me feel more appreciative of the game as I feel like I’m earning important things throughout, rather than the useless items randomly dueled out in Smash 4.
In my opinion there shouldn't be other modes besides 1v1 and 2v2 with no items. In my opinion all the single player content was a useless waste of developer recourses that was used 1% of the time in comparission the the 99% of the time players use 1v1 or 2v2. All that time and money into something that is used for a few days and not reused. The only thing everyone but a small minority of people use smash games for is 1v1 or 2v2 so why put all that passion and work into it? You realize small children can unlock all of these things so what does solving a sinple puzzle that a small child can make you feel that you accomplish? Why even waste your time on single player smash if you're not practicing 1v1 with a level 9 bot for the sole purpose of playing later with real life people?

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie
What else is there to "earn" besides skill and fun memories? What else is smash for, this isn't some single player object collecting or hoarding game man.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think sometimes the problem can be inconsistency. You might play a certain way that works, and then the next day you play differently. What I'd recommend is when you play a certain way and it seems impressive to you, save that replay and watch what it was that helped. My brother pointed out two different things about how I played, and when I ended up not doing those things, he reminded me and it helped a lot. Give that a try.
In regard to both the above quotation and this thread as a whole; yes, I think it would be rad to have a more inclusive coaching mechanism built into the game. Where you can more easily make friends with people who spectate, where the game actually trains you to improve and keep you attuned to the needed skills.

Perhaps tomorrow we will see a such a mode. I can understand the initial posters frustration with wanting to put in the time to win matches, without making it a part time job to be even slightly competitively viable online.

Then again, the ranking system could be drastically improved in pairing. Many people enjoy competition and the thrill of that adrenaline without ever being at top tier.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I guess no one is really wrong here because I enjoy unlocking everything just to say I have it I think custom moves were really good you not being a competitive player makes you saying that brawls better a little bit more understandable in my opinion brawl is one of the worst fighting games especially by a competitive standpoint
Thanks for understanding, I would actually agree with you on customs, I just hate the slot machine mechanic. You don’t earn customs, you’re more so just lucky to get them, so it can make them really annoying to collect, especially later into the game.

In my opinion there shouldn't be other modes besides 1v1 and 2v2 with no items. In my opinion all the single player content was a useless waste of developer recourses that was used 1% of the time in comparission the the 99% of the time players use 1v1 or 2v2. All that time and money into something that is used for a few days and not reused. The only thing everyone but a small minority of people use smash games for is 1v1 or 2v2 so why put all that passion and work into it? You realize small children can unlock all of these things so what does solving a sinple puzzle that a small child can make you feel that you accomplish? Why even waste your time on single player smash if you're not practicing 1v1 with a level 9 bot for the sole purpose of playing later with real life people?
Umm... People love the extra content. Subspace has been loved for years as well as Melee’s Adventure Mode. I think you speak for competitive Smashers, but they aren’t a majority of players. And yes small children can unlock them because Smash is a game made for children, it’s always been a party game, not a fighting game. That’s why Smash does well, it’s very inclusive to everyone, even the lowest of skills. Subspace is something I still go back to because normal smash can be really boring. I love Smash thanks to the variety and combination of all these Nintendo icons, not because I want to play a fighting game.

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie
I think you speak for competitive Smashers, but they aren’t a majority of players.
I was inccorrect about the fact that you're right about the majority of smash players being casual and not competative, I was wrong and found out from doing some research that you're right about that.

And yes small children can unlock them because Smash is a game made for children, it’s always been a party game, not a fighting game. That’s why Smash does well, it’s very inclusive to everyone, even the lowest of skills.
So far it's true that all the current smash games have been party game genre games. That doesn't have to be true in the future, there's enough competative smash players now to fully support a change, of course smash would be more financially successfull and have more players if it continued in the same genre model, but it doesn't NEED to stay that way to be successfull anymore, it could thrive if Sakurai decides to change *cough* evolve *cough* the Smash series into competative only games. Children aren't given enough credit, they would be fine playing competative games, I was able to as a child with my friends we played tons of different games with adults like counter strike, halo, warcraft iii, etc and had a blast getting wrecked and insulted by adults because it was a real and geniune fun challenge that gave us so many fun memories that I wouldn't of had if everyone wanted to play with items on.

Last edited:

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie
Captain Shades Captain Shades

How about instead of asking a multibillion dollar company to waste their time on single player in smash gsmes you join the brawl modding community and support each other with your own creative and artistic projects.

You know Nintendo doesn't want you modding their games anymore because they're making it all online and having dlc now and modding leads to dlc priacy, which did not exist in brawl nor did the anti-modding software and hardware restriction measures.

All you brawl modders and Project Melee lovers have fun with your own community, why pester Nintendo when you can literatly make your own single player ideas and have full controll over it with infinite ideas.

I use a pro controller
Do you practice outside of online play? Sometime it's hard to work on certain mechanic issues you could have while people are whooping your butt (in my opinion).

Trainning against cpu is not always the best option either, you catch their pattern pretty quickly (even at lvl 9) and their response is nothing like a human player's. Personally i practice with a friend and we do it with very precise goals in mind e.g. :

Edgeguarding: you go off stage and i try to prevent you from coming back (again and again and again and again...)
Blocking and Dodging: I attack, you shield/dodge (again and again and again .... )

It's easier to learn when you're not trying to learn everything at the same time. Identify your weakness and work on it tirelessly, that's my advice.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I was inccorrect about the fact that you're right about the majority of smash players being casual and not competative, I was wrong and found out from doing some research that you're right about that.

QUOTE="Captain Shades, post: 22262193, member: 401094"]
And yes small children can unlock them because Smash is a game made for children, it’s always been a party game, not a fighting game. That’s why Smash does well, it’s very inclusive to everyone, even the lowest of skills.
So far it's true that all the current smash games have been party game genre games. That doesn't have to be true in the future, there's enough competative smash players now to fully support a change, of course smash would be more financially successfull and have more players if it continued in the same genre model, but it doesn't NEED to stay that way to be successfull anymore, it could thrive if Sakurai decides to change *cough* evolve *cough* the Smash series into competative only games. Children aren't given enough credit, they would be fine playing competative games, I was able to as a child with my friends we played tons of different games with adults like counter strike, halo, warcraft iii, etc and had a blast getting wrecked and insulted by adults because it was a real and geniune fun challenge that gave us so many fun memories that I wouldn't of had if everyone wanted to play with items on.[/QUOTE]

Then it isn’t Smash anymore. Smash was never designed to be competitive, the whole idea behind Smash was to be a fighting game for casuals as fighting games were too complex to attract a big audience. Sakurai believed in making a fighting game for everyone, not just competitive players, and he achieved that. It’s not even about children really, what about the adults who don’t have much time, but want to play a quick game and feel rewarded, they can’t train for hours for competitive play, so Smash allows them to do a plethora of other activities. So why take that away?

You keep saying that Smash needs to evolve, but when it did with Wii U it just ended up feeling more like a downgrade to me and others as there was less content to experience. Smash 4 won’t be remembered as fondly as other titles after Ultimate releases because it had nothing to make it unique. Say all you want about Brawl, but people still talk about the Subspace and how it needs to return. Brawl left a legacy thanks to its casual nature. Competitive play may be fun for some, but not everyone can do it, nor do they want to, so opening up the options only helps Smash thrive.

Lucariannah

Smash Rookie
So far it's true that all the current smash games have been party game genre games. That doesn't have to be true in the future, there's enough competative smash players now to fully support a change, of course smash would be more financially successfull and have more players if it continued in the same genre model, but it doesn't NEED to stay that way to be successfull anymore, it could thrive if Sakurai decides to change *cough* evolve *cough* the Smash series into competative only games. Children aren't given enough credit, they would be fine playing competative games, I was able to as a child with my friends we played tons of different games with adults like counter strike, halo, warcraft iii, etc and had a blast getting wrecked and insulted by adults because it was a real and geniune fun challenge that gave us so many fun memories that I wouldn't of had if everyone wanted to play with items on.
Then it isn’t Smash anymore. Smash was never designed to be competitive, the whole idea behind Smash was to be a fighting game for casuals as fighting games were too complex to attract a big audience. Sakurai believed in making a fighting game for everyone, not just competitive players, and he achieved that. It’s not even about children really, what about the adults who don’t have much time, but want to play a quick game and feel rewarded, they can’t train for hours for competitive play, so Smash allows them to do a plethora of other activities. So why take that away?

You keep saying that Smash needs to evolve, but when it did with Wii U it just ended up feeling more like a downgrade to me and others as there was less content to experience. Smash 4 won’t be remembered as fondly as other titles after Ultimate releases because it had nothing to make it unique. Say all you want about Brawl, but people still talk about the Subspace and how it needs to return. Brawl left a legacy thanks to its casual nature. Competitive play may be fun for some, but not everyone can do it, nor do they want to, so opening up the options only helps Smash thrive.

To each their own, however the skill obtained through Smash games is retained, so time is irrelivant comparing casual and competative play. If person a spends 2 hours a days training for a couple months then switches to mostly online he will spend the same time on the game as person b who spends their time throwing bombs on themselves for 2 hours a day who gains no skill. Not everyone can do it? Not everyone wins and gets a 1st place trophy mate, that's part of life bro, why make everyone creampuffs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You keep saying that Smash needs to evolve, but when it did with Wii U it just ended up feeling more like a downgrade to me and others as there was less content to experience. Smash 4 won’t be remembered as fondly as other titles after Ultimate releases because it had nothing to make it unique. Say all you want about Brawl, but people still talk about the Subspace and how it needs to return. Brawl left a legacy thanks to its casual nature. Competitive play may be fun for some, but not everyone can do it, nor do they want to, so opening up the options only helps Smash thrive.[/QUOTE]
Brawl is pretty much known as the game most smashers want to forget tbh

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
As a player who is also pretty bad at the game, my best advice is to pick the character you're best as and then train with them against CPUs until you can beat LVL 9 CPUs.

After that accomplishment, my best advice is to start practicing and improving with other characters aside from that main, train more with those you like the most, as the game will feel kind of easier when you really like the character you're playing as.

After you can beat Level 7 CPUs and up, I suggest you start playing with Friends and Online, from there it's generally just this - keep practicing, push the limits to every character as best as you can and find those who fit your playstyle more. It generally doesn't matter if your main is lower, mid or high-tier, as the thing that matters the most is always the player, not the character.

Another tip I'd like to give you is to keep track of the characters you're good at, and others where you're NOT so good at in a sort of "Personal Tier List", this can be used to give you a perspective on your general playstyle and character preference. You can, of course, redo the list how many times you want as you evolve as a player and get a tighter grasp as to who you play better as.

To summarize, just keep pushing harder and harder until you master the mechanics and some of the characters.

Tier List Maker

Top Bottom