• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Didn't Know "Roy-zoned" Was Still This Bad!

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
So, I was messing around in the lab and found something that makes me sad. Royboyz, please comment.

edit: Sorry this was a cellphone recording. It was also being held by being wedged in a stripper clip with actual bullets in it. Technology eludes me

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Only too true. But it feels weird to see this in PM, a game with constant updates and animation/hitbox clean-ups. Our poor Boy already has issues in this version, and apparently now he can't hit stuff with his sword. :facepalm:

Jacuzzi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaccuzi
3DS FC
0748-3832-8660
I've never noticed this before, is this a random bug that occurs? Or can his sword just literally NOT hit through platforms in this version? Roy's one of my 'for-fun-but-still-kinda-serious' characters, so I haven't noticed this at all hahah.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I've never noticed this before, is this a random bug that occurs? Or can his sword just literally NOT hit through plat in this version? Roy's one of my 'for-fun-but-still-kinda-serious' characters, so I haven't noticed this at all hahah.
From testing, it seems to only be his F-air and only from a certain angle underneath. It has been messing up a lot of my platform follow-ups though, and this Roy zone didn't exist in 3.5 afaik.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
From a competitive perspective, this isn't too bad. I mean, using fair to knock someone out of a terrible position is not a good idea. You want them on that platform so that you can scare them into doing something that wouldn't be considered optimal. However, from a game-design perspective, this could be seen as visually-jarring and may need to be addressed with a little hitbox cleanup.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I only go for the F-air when I'm trying to get them offstage quickly. And besides that, if I'm already going for it, it shouldn't just miss because of a hitbox flub regardless of whether or not it was the optimal gameplay decision. Mostly I'm just surprised it's in there at all, and I'm sure that it'll be fixed or completely reworked in the next patch

Carlil

Smash Rookie
To be honest, the fair is perfect the way it. If they had to change it, they would probably take the extra animation(which makes your attacks scarier) out and match it with the hitbox.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Animations not matching hitboxes is troubling, and unless you know your character so well that you just know it won't hit above him despite looks can really screw you over in a match.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about the audio, was in a Skype call when I recorded this. Seems the hitbox doesn't display at the start of the animation.

1/4th speed in 3.6 Full. Netplay build.

EDIT: worth noting, you can slow the video down with youtube's video player options. makes it easier to see where the hitbox starts/stops.

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
this isn't something exclusive to roy.
marth has it on the same attack.

for roy, the hitboxes are active on frames 5-8 of the animation.

marth, frames 4-7, a whole frame earlier.

what I will say is that these both should be fixed so the animation matches the hitboxes better. because it certainly seems like the earlier parts of the move should do damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom