• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I didn’t realize they were remaking EVERY stage!!!

Freecs

Smash Cadet
Since the game is going to have at least 103 stages despite having less development time than previous games, I just automatically assumed they were going to go the Smash 4 route and port over the stages from Smash Wii U and Brawl, and only remake the stages they need to, which are the 3DS and Melee stages. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that they would also completely remake all the stages from Brawl AND Wii U. Like... HOLY CRAP!!! We actually get to see what a Mario Sunshine remake would look like! I don’t even give a damn that it’s missing a few stages anymore. This is way beyond what I expected and I might be even more excited about this than the new characters.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
No Sector Z though... that has to be my favorite stage in all of smash. And no, Corneria doesnt count, its way too small.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, the whole stage select screen being shown off like that with only Moray Towers and Dracula's Castle being the only stages for newly introduced IPs puts some doubt on what newcomers would be revealed next. If someone from Tekken or ARMS or Crash Bandicoot or any unrepresented franchise gets a newcomer, they won't have a home stage. Sakurai should have waited until all the newcomers were revealed before showing us the stage select screen. Seriously, only four new stages? That's disappointing.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well, the whole stage select screen being shown off like that with only Moray Towers and Dracula's Castle being the only stages for newly introduced IPs puts some doubt on what newcomers would be revealed next. If someone from Tekken or ARMS or Crash Bandicoot or any unrepresented franchise gets a newcomer, they won't have a home stage. Sakurai should have waited until all the newcomers were revealed before showing us the stage select screen. Seriously, only four new stages? That's disappointing.
And you assume these are the only stages in the game...and not just what Sakurai wants us to see and hear...and be disappointed in only currently 4 new stages when there’s 103 stages in the game...
It’s just sad no PAC Maz or Rainbow road, would of looked nice in HD
Rainbow Road has a high chance in returning though...Pac Maze might have some problems unless they take out the ghosts gimmick

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
it's a major addition, only 18 missing i think
I actually think they will remake all of them, or at least half of the remaining stages. There are maybe 10 stages that are irrelevant, because they are very similar to other stages or are vertical stages that no one likes. But there are maybe 8 missing stages that are very beautiful or cool and should return, like Wolly World and Poke Floats.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
But Sakurai stated there would be 103 stages, and the screen he showed us had all 103. He even said that all the stages would be available from the start. So, there's not much hope for any more stages until DLC.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
103 is the final number, as stated in the presentation statements, displayed select screen, comparison graphs, and static website pages.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
I do believe they've left some room on the bottom to either just include even more in the next direct, which would be a tad on the silly side as :

1) 103 is ridiculous as is
2) they already made a big deal about it

so I guess the room that's leftover will either be used for DLC or - in my opinion an unlikely thing to happen - we do get more stages announced. Again, I doubt it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It really is nuts.

The number of characters is already bonkers, and all previous smash games have had roughly the same number of stages as characters. (±3) So it would have been just as bonkers as the character count if we got ~75 or so stages to match.

But no, we got 103--including Omega forms, and nor Battlefield forms, with Hazard Toggle and Stage Morph. Insane.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If they were putting all those old stages in the game along with having every veteran fighter returning, they should have had every stage. Choosing Pac-Land over Pac-Maze is just stupid. And only seven new stages is just bad, especially when two are from veteran series and two are from newcomer series.
The 6 missing are popably dlc or placeholders for the characters not revealed yet that will get a home stage
And no, there are no placeholders. Smash Wiki has all 103 stages listed, Sakurai said the total number was 103, and he said all stages are available from the start. And when you count the stages on the select screen, that's 103. There's 103 stages in the game period. He completely spoiled us to what stages are in and not in.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
103 is the final number, as stated in the presentation statements, displayed select screen, comparison graphs, and static website pages.
There's no such thing as static website pages. There's space for more stages on the game menu. And they can announce stages and just show the same graph just going even bigger. And they can even release more stages on DLCs, so the 103 number can really be Just temporary.

And no, there are no placeholders. Smash Wiki has all 103 stages listed, Sakurai said the total number was 103, and he said all stages are available from the start. And when you count the stages on the select screen, that's 103. There's 103 stages in the game period. He completely spoiled us to what stages are in and not in.
Add more stages doesnt make anything he said false or worse. All stages will be avaiable from the begining and all pages will just be updated with the new stages.
If needed they can easily add a new line of stages on the menu.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There's no such thing as static website pages. There's space for more stages on the game menu. And they can announce stages and just show the same graph just going even bigger. And they can even release more stages on DLCs, so the 103 number can really be Just temporary.
Maybe when they start working on DLC, they could add new stages. But announcing new stages in the base game would not be likely when the total has already been stated.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
never on

never once did he say it was the final number

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Maybe when they start working on DLC, they could add new stages. But announcing new stages in the base game would not be likely when the total has already been stated.
Just like when the website said total characters is 65

Why would he lie about the number of stages?
how did he lie when he never said that was the final count, that was the count of revealed stages as of now.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The exact English quote is "Let's compare [the stage total] to previous games. Now the total number of stages is, viola! 103. We must be crazy! If we exclude Battlefield, Final Destination, and Big Battlefield, we have exactly 100."

The website number for characters never said "total", it just said characters--linking to a page clearly designed to be filled with more content.

Meanwhile, the pages for Stages, Items, Pokemon, and Assist Trophies were not uploaded until after the presentation that revealed all the new ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

I think we got more to come, but yeah, he didn't lie about the number of stages, he just told us how many were being revealed.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
There may not be no more stages but nothing in that translation states it is in fact the final count. It can just refer to the current stages revealed as it can be referring to the final total. If he said this was the final number or all the stages then it be a different story.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
He announced the "total" number, put on a graph next to the existing final totals of all previous games.

He clearly has no trouble telling us that there are a few more characters coming, and even dangled an entire mode in front of our noses. If there were 106 stages, he'd have just said 106. Why make such a big deal about a temporary number, call it the total, show off the css, and update the website with a custom stage layout with no room to fill in more? None of this makes the least bit of sense.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
He announced the "total" number, put on a graph next to the existing final totals of all previous games.

He clearly has no trouble telling us that there are a few more characters coming, and even dangled an entire mode in front of our noses. If there were 106 stages, he'd have just said 106. Why make such a big deal about a temporary number, call it the total, show off the css, and update the website with a custom stage layout with no room to fill in more? None of this makes the least bit of sense.
to can always be edited to make room for more, he wanted to show how much stages there is at the time in the stage section of the direct.

Again it may turn out final but nothing he said in the direct confirmes that it was the final amount. If it is indeed final count I think it kind of weird to stop at only 18 left you think you just finish the rest since your already that far.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It may be weird that there's 18 stages left, but it's been reported before the direct that not all stages are returning. I actually find it weirder that they chose Pac-Land over Pac-Maze.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, next direct that can be after 1, 2, or even 3 months, he can even announce "we have more stages returning to show at you, and new stages too! Now we have..." - Show graph growing from 103 to 110 or more - " A total of 110 stages! You wasn't expecting more stages, was you? The number just get more impressive!"
Then, the site, the game menu, the wiki and everything else is updated without any problem.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean, sure, they could do that. They could announce that they are taking Ridley out, or refactoring the game as a kart racer. When we assume they are just lying, anything is physically possible.

Anyway, every single one of the non-returning stages has straightforward logic for why it was not remade or included from 4:
  • Zebes and Sector Z are made redundant by Brinstar and Corneria, their more properly-sized direct successors.
  • Mushroom Kingdom 1 (Melee) is probably the worst Smash stage ever made, and is made redundant by Mushroomy Kingdom.
  • Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls would be the most extensive stages to remake in HD, yet are two of the least popular stages of all time among both casual and experienced players.
  • Poke Floats is the biggest loss, but remaking it would require Pokemon Company approved HD models of all the associated Pokemon, which would be a nightmare. (In Melee, they just ripped the official models directly from Stadium 2.)
  • F-Zero (Melee) and Rainbow Road were probably just too extensive to remake in HD for two stages that are very similar to Port Town. A shame.
  • Pac-Maze was designed around a 3DS-specific gimmick.
  • Jungle Hijinx's gimmick is incompatible with Stage Morph, and probably a massive headache to QA anyway.
  • Ridley was so central to Pyrosphere's identity that it's not super surprising that they just cut it. A shame though.
  • Orbital Gate Assault and Woolly World were the two most performance-intensive stages on the Wii U, so it's safe to assume they struggled with hosting 8 pairs of Ice Climbers. They also caused a lot of SDs for casuals and would be weird with Stage Morph, but I bet performance was the main factor.
  • Miiverse, well, duh.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
They would not lie, they are just doing things to keep us excited, just like they did when they announced every character of any smash would be back and at the same direct they said for us to not expect too many new characters, since there are so many. And then when everybody was accepting that no other character would be announced until the release of the game they just announce a new direct with 2 new characters and in the same direct they also announced that there are still some new characters to be revealed. They never locked the number of stages on their announcements, they just said that until this moment, the number of stages is in 103. It can grow before the release of the game, or after with DLC, anything is possible.

But I really agree with you that some stages are really irrelevant and dont need to come back. Actually, from the still not announced stages, I only want Poke Floats, Pac Maze and Wolly World (but I also would appreciate Miiverse someway because I love the simplicity). But I still hope for some new original stages. If the game has a campaign, I think we can presume that it will have sections that can really become full stages, and I think that this is going to happen in a new direct, they will announce the campaign mode, and stages based on the campaign mode and at least a new character.

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
I do think it makes sense if you expect the 6 "missing" stages to be stages for Franchises that have no representation yet. I don't expect any more remade stages from previous Smash-titles, though. It would seem counterproductive to the hype if this "total" count of stages were actually the final amount, because that would mean that we shouldn't really hope for Newcomers from Franchises that haven't been in Smash yet. I don't see them doing that.

That's why I think and hope that those 6 spots left will be used for new Stages. IF we should get some DLC, I'd guess we'd get a DLC-Page in the SSS, like in Sm4sh.

Of course it could absolutely be the final amount, but I personally think that wouldn't be smart from a Hype-management-perspective. ^^

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
HE WOULD NOT BE LYING HE NEVER SAID IT WAS THE FINAL COUNT IN THE FIRST PLACE :p

( not mad just caps for dramatic effect this is just a debate)

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
perhaps you'd prefer he just not release the game at all?

i mean, so many people seem to do nothing but complain over such minor things... nevermind the fact that EVERYONE is coming back, along with almost all the stages, with several old ones being remade, and despite bringing back such a massive roster, sakurai and his team are STILL giving us several new characters.

it's far more than we deserve, if you ask me... especially with so many ungrateful people in the fanbase.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
If 103 was the final stage count that would have quite some implications for the character roster. We ALWAYS get a stage for a 3rd party series character being introduced unless they are from the same franchise. Not to mention that it would be weird for newcomers that are from unrepresented franchises in the roster. I highly doubt there won't be at least a few new stages announced.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Where should I begin with this post?

First, the only eligible cuts that I see at this point are past versions of Battlefield (also Miiverse) and Final Destination, the two vertical scrolling stages of Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls, and Flat Zone 1 since it is merged with Flat Zone X.

That being said, here are the stages that were not shown that I would really want playable. Sector Z (justi think of if like a Big Battlefield version of Corneria, Planet Zebes (probably the most confusing cut. Sure it has the damaging acid, but the stage layout is different, then the three SSB 1P exclusive stages of Meta Crystal, Battlefield, and Final Destination since these three were never legitimatly playable for multiplayer.

I'm hoping the six empty slots are for unannounced new stages. Seeing an incomplete grid just seems off. However, since Sakurai said that all stages are available from the start and he showed the stage select screen, I can see how this could very well be the finalized list.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
But Sakurai stated there would be 103 stages, and the screen he showed us had all 103. He even said that all the stages would be available from the start. So, there's not much hope for any more stages until DLC.
The website proves nothing since it was the same for characters and they updated it after the Sakurai's announcement during the Nintendo Direct. They will just add more pictures when new stages will be announced. Also, he never stated that this was the FINAL stage select screen. And it's 100% sure that this isn't the final SSS since:
  • It's incomplete because he confirmed that they will announce more newcomers and if there weren't more stages, they would have centered the last row.
  • There isn't stage builder -related stuffs in the SSS which confirms that this is a placeholder.
  • Sakurai loves to surprise us.
However, since there are 6 Empty slots and new characters coming, I don't think that they will bring back stages from past games and will more likely focus on newcomers' stages. Though, if they do... don't expect every stage to returns.
  • Some of them are too similar to already-existing stages : Planet Zebes (Brinstar), Sector Z (Corneria), Mushroom Kingdom I (Mushroom Kingdom 64), Mute City (Port Town Aero Dive).
  • Icicle Mountain & Rumble Falls would involve too much work for remakes for what they are worth (they are the all-time least popular stages). Also, they wouldn't work well with Stage Morph (Pokefloats too).
  • Pyrosphere & Miiverse have no reason to exist anymore. No needs to explain why.
  • Orbital Gate Assault & Woolly World request too much performances so with 8x Ice Climbers... just imagine. One of Ultimate's goal is to make every stages available in 8-Player smash.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
idk, 103 is an amazingly ridiculous number yes, but the absence of certain stages can't help but be noticeable... Especially Rainbow Road and Woolly World

But that could be very as well the final list indeed, maybe a few of those missing stages could be added as DLC later. The "empty slots" mean nothing, people thought the same thing when the SSB3DS ESRB leak happened, that it wasn't the final character and stage rosters because of some empty spots, but it was just reserved for DLC

• Some of them are too similar to already-existing stages : Planet Zebes (Brinstar), Sector Z (Corneria), Mushroom Kingdom I (Mushroom Kingdom 64), Mute City (Port Town Aero Dive).
Smashville and Town & City; Brinstar and Norfair; Kongo Falls and Kongo Jungle 64; Super Happy Tree, Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island, there are many similar stages

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Smashville and Town & City; Brinstar and Norfair; Kongo Falls and Kongo Jungle 64; Super Happy Tree, Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island, there are many similar stages
Brinstar & Norfair.. seriously? They have almost nothing in common except being taken from the Metroid universe. We're talking about stages that features sames platforms/shapes and mechanics.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Brinstar & Norfair.. seriously? They have almost nothing in common except being taken from the Metroid universe. We're talking about stages that features sames platforms/shapes and mechanics.
Their platform layout is nearly the same(with the biggest difference being the height of where they are from the ground), they both have rising acid, and the only real difference is one has a floating platform while the other has a breakable one. They literally use the same music as well(though one is a cover version).

They aren't very different to begin with. It's pretty much slightly more different from Sector Z to Corneria.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He completely spoiled us to what stages are in and not in.
So... when the leaks spoil us to what stages are in and not in, that’s okay because why? We consented to be spoiled? But because Sakurai spoiled us, that’s not okay because why? We didn’t consent to be spoiled?

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if a stage is similar to another would that mean they require less effort to put in?

Top Bottom