• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I cant play online, my connection isnt strong enough, what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
I use mobile data since its what we can afford. The November direct mentioned a wired LAN cable, can someone tell me what I should do?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Gonna give you the realest advice. Worry more about your/your families financial situation than being able to play smash bros online

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Gonna give you the realest advice. Worry more about your/your families financial situation than being able to play smash bros online
I got this game for multiple reasons, one is to play online, makes me feel like I'm part of the scene and so I can fight against other people's spirits

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I got this game for multiple reasons, one is to play online, makes me feel like I'm part of the scene and so I can fight against other people's spirits
Well you need a proper internet connection to play online. I don't know who gave you the idea otherwise my man.

And no one plays with spirits online anyway

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
You’ll need a wired connection to a wifi router or modem in order to have high-quality online, but like what itsaxelol itsaxelol said, you should consider your priorities first. Hopefully your family has financial stability soon.

Vierge

#1******
Switch FC
3850 4617 0606
Don't listen to them, with the right tools you can absolutely play online with mobile data. I used to do this in Smash 4 Wii U.

1) You will probably need a computer with a wifi card that is capable of creating a hotspot
2) Make sure your phone isn't running dozens of background processes and auto-updating
3) Use the app PDAnet+ to use your mobile data connection on your PC (years ago when I got it, it was $8)
4) Use the 'Wifi Share' feature on the PDAnet desktop app to create a stable hotspot

Having premium data (e.g. unlimited 3g/4g) is key. Signal strength and your service provider's throttling policy also factors. During 'peak hours' you may experience some lag, but it depends on how well you figure out all the above.

Tomorrow I'll actually set this up on my switch to see if I got anything wrong

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
Even playing with shoddy wi-fi from an actual router can be tenuous at best, trying to play with spotty connection can lead to super frustrating fights (trust me, i used to live somewhere that had service that only guaranteed 15 mbps) not only for you but the other people in the game. That being said, it might be an opportunity to get out in the community irl; either find other players near you that you can meet up with and play with (either local or online or both), or see if any gaming stores near you can offer connection. Ive even tried using the wifi at starbucks a few times to kill lunch breaks and havent seen any lag, so if you have somewhere like that near you and dont mind playing on the small screen it might be worth a try.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Well, the online of this game is already terrible by itself, so, if you dont have a proper online setup, you will not even have the chance of have good online matches.

You need to fix your internet and have a lan adapter just to be able to have faith that you will be paired with people near you with the same good internet conditions as you in most of the matches.

*** the lan adapter does not ensure that you will have a decent connection, it just solves the problem of oscilation of the quality the wifi signal, that MAYBE is the cause of you having some laggy matches. There are a lot of other variables like, your internet speed, distance to other players, the quality of the internet of the other players.. also, the game sold 12mi copies until now, how many of these also have a lan adapter? (I doubt that 5% has one)...

Last edited:

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Sorry but there is no miracle solution to your issue.
Your online setup, using mobile data would probably lead up to a lot of lag/freezes.

Also, if you want to play online to fight other people's spirits then you're probably out of luck. Almost no one uses them.

Depending on where you live, the best advice I could give is to seek out for locals. Surely this won't be the kind of game you seem to want as it would be competitive. But it's also a great opportunity to seek smash partners. That or getting an actual connection with a router and all are the only 2 solutions sadly.

Going online with your setup will be frustrating for you and your opponents (and most of your opponents will probably SD after seeing the lag anyway)

Bandanna_Dee_For_Smash

Smash Rookie
Either the A button doesn't work or for some reason, down-smash is being charged even when I don't want it to. Does anyone else experience this or can anyone help me overcome this?(It only does this in handheld mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom