• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can't get good at Smash?

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
I've played every Smash game (except the PM hack) and I'm planning to get Smash Ultimate as well but as much as I train in every Smash release, I can never get good. I played Smash 4 ever since it got released on 3DS and WiiU on and off with a play time of 1094 hours and kept practicing online but nothing has changed. I keep getting destroyed by zoners, I keep getting destroyed by the millions of Mario's and Bayonetta's, and I even get destroyed by players that are not really that amazing (but it shows how not amazing I am as well). I train only on For Glory since its the only way I can fight real players and I constantly deal with people trolling and putting me out of my game, which causes me to miss inputs a lot more. Like I don't want to stop playing Smash since its one of the most fun multiplayer games I've ever played but this constant sucking is starting to get to me. If only Smash4 had a ranking system, maybe that would help? Sorry if I sounded salty but I just really want to up my game.

I main King Dedede, Pit, and Mega Man. I think I am getting the hang of D3 but with Mega Man and Pit, I cant kill unless I get a lucky hit or if I pull a successful read without missing.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Maybe you could try watching a lot of top-level play? Even if I watch some EVO Melee highlights I notice my Smash 4 skills are greatly improved the next time I play. Just try to just get a feel for how good players move and react by watching a lot of footage.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I train only on For Glory
Stop that.

Between all the trolling and BMing on there affecting you mentally, and the "slight" lag it will really not help you in the long run. You don't want to get used to that if you want to improve or plan on playing irl.

Every time I switch from For Glory to playing irl with people it's like a whole other game, my connection's great and it's usually not THAT bad of lag, but enough to throw you off.

If you can't find people around to play, broaden your search for a locals.

Watching high level play helps, but only so much without being able to put it into your practice.

Haarberger

Smash Rookie
This could be me as I'm in the same seat.

Thought Ultimate would make things a bit better, it actually did by an inch, but I am still having my similar struggles.

The thing is that I see everything that I do wrong, but somehow I lack the instinct to actually find what to do instead physically.
My main struggles consist of even though seeing or feeling that the opponent is loading up a smash or anything alike, I yet tend to walk or jump into it, it's such a bad habit and I just can't for the life of me get it out of the way!

Another is that the opponent usually gets their pros on me by hitting me over and over, as I can't seem to find a way to recover their fast attacks, yes I do try to remain calm which could be a reason why but that's mostly because I don't want injure my wrists in the long run, you should be able to play this without hurting yourself I hope.

And lastly I tend to land my hits in the wrong direction, almost always compared to the opp.

Generally, I tend to shield, roll, mix A and B in smaller combos and that yadda yadda.
Like the OP I've been playing since being a kid on and off, back on the N64, Gamecube etc, but the interesting thing is that the same kind of struggles mentioned moves on from game to game.

The bots at 9 on Ultimate suddenly plays a lot more as real players than before in my experience trying this, even they are giving me a hard time with these issues of mine.

A question to the OP, do you tend to feel anxious when getting hit repeatedly? I do get it a lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom