• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I cannot beat K Rool as Pikachu, Any advice?

Metal Vortex

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I’m new here and I’ve been having issues trying to beat K Rool in Smash Ultimate while playing as Pikachu. I have watched countless tutorials on how to beat K Rool and none of them seemed to help. In theory, what was shown on screen looked like it should work, but wether its my brother’s play style or my own incompetence, i can never beat him in a three stock with no items. I guess I’ll go over some things I’m struggling with.

Crown Throw Super Armor

The crown throw itself isnt to bad, but i just cant seem to punish it. I jump over the crown and try nair, upair, dair, fair, bair, and even F-smash, and he simply wont take any knockback, and can punish all of these moves with a side tilt. Jumping over the crown and approaching on foot doesn’t work either, as his blunderbuss simply comes out too quickly for me to do anything. The best I’ve been able to do is jump over the crown, bait him into using the blunderbuss, jump again and dair spike into upair chains. If it doesn’t spike then he gets launched to the side and will abuse his super armor to get back into neutral rapidly.

Nair

I dont even know where to begin with this move. It’s made me rage far more than I should, because almost nothing beats it. When I start upair/uptilt chaining... Nair. When I’m bair chaining... Nair. Even when i go to recover, he simply nairs offstage and does it as many times as needed to get me as low as possible, and his godlike recovery makes it almost impossible to confirm that he’s gone for good. Sometimes he nair shorthop fastfall approaches and theres really not much my poor pikachu can do to combat it. The best i can do is jump over him and hope that he wont smite me upon landing with dash attack, Up-Smash, uptilt, or upair.

Dash attack

This attack while seemingly easy to deal with, is actually a nightmare for me to get around. He uses it to punish me for landing, punish me for approaching (in the situation where i jump over his crown he sometimes switches it up and dash attacks me), and the super armor on It comes out immediately and protects him from dairs. Sometimes he will shoot a bullet at me, forcing me to either jump or parry, which he follows up immediately by a dash attack. What makes this attack even more of a niceness is that holding shield doesn’t allow me to punish fast enough, as he usually follows up with a side tilt.

Recovery

King K Rool’s recovery is hard to punish. Pikachu doesn’t have the best range making it nearly impossible to spike K Rool or punish him as he essentially gets a free pass to the ledge, especially when he recovers low. What really annoys me about this is that hugging the stage and fairing him does not inflict knockback and does not drag down, and anytime he feels threatened off stage he can simply nair.

Side tilt

The side tilt is The Bane of my Existence. The super armor comes out so unbelievably fast that trying to punish him for almost anything is futile. Trying to tilt before him just blocks it and i get hit. If he shields my approach then its a free punish unless i dodge or hold shield. The worst part is that it kills really early and makes approaching him at over 70% simply a joke.

So I’m asking you guys if you know of any good strategies to deal with this nasty croc. I’ve tried a few things like recovering low to avoid getting naired when going for the ledge, and grabbing him to try and start combos but its never enough to take him down. I’d appreciate any advice and I’d love to hear what you have to say.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
F Air should beat N Air, and spam Thunder Jolts. F Smash spacing would also help, it should come out faster than most of K.Rool's moves.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
Besides just getting better at playing to Pikachu's strength, for a person in your situation, I would Advise you to pick up K. Rool temporarily and learn to play him. It's usually the easiest way of getting to know a matchup and the counterplay. To beat your demon, BECOME the demon.

Top Bottom