• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta I can sense your aura : The Lucario metagame thread

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I use Peach and Charizard along with Lucario.

But I feel like Trela in that I use just about whoever at this point though, lol.

Lwin

Smash Cadet
NNID
LwinIsPolite
Hi, I'm Nelson Mandela. I main aura sphere. I think it's good at scaring the opponent and limiting their neutral game. AS also has decent punishers in the form of Lucario.

Mika Dagger-Fists

Smash Rookie
Anyone here have any success using Ryu as a secondary to Lucario? I'm not so competitive just yet, I just want him as a secondary for the hell of it(if not Marth).

Empire~

s a d b o y s
A couple of days ago there was some talk on the skype group about combos using Lucario's bair (credit to Armen). Thought I might as well put them on sboards somewhere.

uthrow (-> fh) -> backwards hit of fair -> bair

against cfalcon:
uthrow -> bair (fh) [both 70%]
uthrow -> utilt [?]
uthrow -> usmash [both 45%]

Also briefly mentioned was sh fair into footstool.

RJT14

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2423-5489-3330
A couple of days ago there was some talk on the skype group about combos using Lucario's bair (credit to Armen). Thought I might as well put them on sboards somewhere.

uthrow (-> fh) -> backwards hit of fair -> bair

against cfalcon:
uthrow -> bair (fh) [both 70%]
uthrow -> utilt [?]
uthrow -> usmash [both 45%]

Also briefly mentioned was sh fair into footstool.
HOLY CRUD! Really? I also found a combo, but I don't know if someone found this already.
ASC-> Bair at kill percentages
ASC-> Nair (mid-percentages?)

_Nives_

Smash Cadet
How do you proceed on edgeguard situation, i like to cover the edge with a AS charge but it's not that effective. Any advice mostly on trumping with lucario ?

To reply i use rosalina as a secondary because she deal with ness falcon

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
Lucario doesn't really have a solid trump option. Maybe trump to breveresed Aura Sphere, but otherwise your best bet is to just get back onto the stage and wait for their response. Dair and dtilt will hit them if they go back to the ledge.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Lucario doesn't really have a solid trump option. Maybe trump to breveresed Aura Sphere, but otherwise your best bet is to just get back onto the stage and wait for their response. Dair and dtilt will hit them if they go back to the ledge.
To add onto this, Lucario has possibly the worst offstage game apart from maybe Little Mac. Your entire objective offstage should be just to get back safely unless they are a free hit like Rosa/Villager/DuckHunt when in their Up-B. Many characters can kill us off a trump very easily, and Lucario's Bair is too slow to take advantage of the trump like Falcon or Ganondorf can.

Maybe when I buy my own Wii-U I'll do a %/stage breakdown for when Aura sphere can hit each character at the ledge.

@ _Nives_ _Nives_ For now you should probably learn what characters can beat AS charge at the ledge.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
What do you guys think of the :4megaman: Matchup? I've heard arguments that you are potentially not too great a matchup for us', but I personally haven't experienced the mu much (can't stand fighting your character though) and have yet to hear thoughts from the other side.

Empire~

s a d b o y s
HOLY CRUD! Really? I also found a combo, but I don't know if someone found this already.
ASC-> Bair at kill percentages
ASC-> Nair (mid-percentages?)
This is known - Kami does asc -> nair at about 7:20 in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OymZaXkuWoE
What do you guys think of the :4megaman: Matchup? I've heard arguments that you are potentially not too great a matchup for us', but I personally haven't experienced the mu much (can't stand fighting your character though) and have yet to hear thoughts from the other side.
MM's weight makes him easy to juggle, but getting in is pretty hard. Double Team is easy to use here against your neutral B and side B, but using it all the time can make it too predictable.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Megaman is one of our best matchups. Once Lucario gets to 70%, Aura Sphere literally beats Megaman's entire moveset, outside of that custom reflector. If Lucario takes the first stock (assuming it's 2 stocks), Lucario doesn't have to commit to anything but shoot Aura Spheres since they go through everything MM throws at us.

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Megaman is one of our best matchups. Once Lucario gets to 70%, Aura Sphere literally beats Megaman's entire moveset, outside of that custom reflector. If Lucario takes the first stock (assuming it's 2 stocks), Lucario doesn't have to commit to anything but shoot Aura Spheres since they go through everything MM throws at us.
So if I'm winning should I just camp and make him approach?

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Yes. If he does short hop lemons, it won't kill you and when you have even a half charged AS, it goes through all of them. Only thing you really have to worry about is bair but that's highly telegraphed.

vypex

Smash Cadet
To add onto this, Lucario has possibly the worst offstage game apart from maybe Little Mac. Your entire objective offstage should be just to get back safely unless they are a free hit like Rosa/Villager/DuckHunt when in their Up-B. Many characters can kill us off a trump very easily, and Lucario's Bair is too slow to take advantage of the trump like Falcon or Ganondorf can.

Maybe when I buy my own Wii-U I'll do a %/stage breakdown for when Aura sphere can hit each character at the ledge.

@ _Nives_ _Nives_ For now you should probably learn what characters can beat AS charge at the ledge.
Try going off stage and attacking with nair as it covers lots of approaches and stays out there long, lucario is excellent off stage when attacking especially against others who's main objective off stage is to get back on stage, at around 70% i go off stage and his nair to fair and unless its villager or DH they are pretty much dead, that combo even knocks Pit/DPit far enough to not be able to recover.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I played this man back in late November (very early Wii-U) and got to semifinals on an official tournament. He was a character I knew how he worked back when a lot didn't and I sort of just got away from him because his lack of safe options started to become quite a turn off, Now, however, I'm having issues with becoming tournament viable, and I remember (for the most part) what I did oto get to semifinals with Lucario, and Lucario has only been buffed with the shield grab thing. :3

Green-Omb

Smash Rookie
NNID
Green-Omb
Sup, I've just joined the community and wanted to share a technique I discovered with you guys :)
I don't know if it's already known but my mates at Smashlabs didn't knew about it so I just want to point this out.
It's pretty simple: You can b-reverse Lucario's up-b which reverses the hitbox at the end and knocks your opponent in the direction you're coming.
To perform this you have to press in the direction from where you're coming briefly before themove ends.
We didn't found a good usage untill now except knocking players with an bad ledge guard offstage.

Other user using the Up-b-reverse:

Last edited:

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I started looking into nair hit 2 a bit more since I felt it hadn't been looked into that much. The first thing I noticed is that when buffering a SH nair, we're able to hit targets taller than Mario (and even Mario sometimes too depending on his idle state, without considering the extra "height" shielding adds) with it when perfectly fastfalled inside or behind him. This makes SH nairing shields a lot more safer if you're crossupping your opponent, as there only 10-13 frames inbetween the two hits and we all know how low landing lag the move has.

If me manage to hit someone with hit 2, what can we expect to get out of it? Since it has really low knockback until really high percents, we can get grabs or dash attacks out of it longer than from hit 1. The best part of it is the low-ish angle in which it knocks opponents, usually forcing opponents to a tech situation. If they happen to miss the tech (which I'll assume to happen quite frenquently due to the surprising nature of the attack), we can usually jab reset with a baby AS (preceded with a short run if needed), which in turn leads into usmash/FP/grab. Since this is wholly possible to happen at quite high %'s, those moves will kill, making this another kill setup to keep in mind.

EDIT: Somebody pls find out a way how to land sourspot uair (to sweetspot uair) after uthrow, I want more reliable kill setups from laughably low percents...!

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Pretty sure this is widely known alraedy, but Nair 2 can connect easily on large targets and ppl who try to DI to your back with a reverse Fair.
It's kind of tricky, but if you manage to read you're going to hit with the butt hitbox, and follow up with a last-frame, closest nair hitbox, it's almost guaranteed you'll hit both attacks (depends on your opponent weight, tho). I'm not really sure about the forced tech in this situation, but if you're close to ground, the hit can be cancelled and can be followed to an Up-Air and get an aerial follow up.

I've also been trying to encourage more Nair to make off-stage pressure, and it's awesome. If you still have your double-jump, you can follow up the second hit of Nair with a Dair or even a Bair, and sometimes the hitbox is really unexpected and stage-spikes your target.

About crossing up with Nair to get nair 2? that would be interesting to try out.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I have been thinking about shield locks. What if we BReverse ASC where you give someone enough time to just put their shield up?

There may be some shield DI factor that makes it harder to shield DI towards someone which I need to study...

Empire~

s a d b o y s
Uthrow > nair > nair2 true combos into another grab at low percents, so that's nice.
Not true unfortunately, I do this to my dk main friend at 0% frequently, but he is able to jump after the second hit of nair.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
ASC on other's shield is really different now. While we have the upper hand to decide when to do our next step, we have to read our foe correctly what will be his reaction.
Most of the people tend to dash/roll away from ASC if they're locked. We can follow them up to land a bair if we read when will they land.
Others will prefer to hold the shield up (when they're not on the ledge) and wait for your reaction and counter them, I've been able to simply shield > FPG them (but very rarely).
The ones who we should be careful for are those with quick jabs/air moves, which those cases I prefer to mix the timing of the ASC pressure and mixup a Bair, Roll away or whatever option. It even works on ppl who are aware that they don't need to hold the shield button.

Anyway, that's my opinion, I'm still figuring out stuff here.

Empire~

s a d b o y s
It can also be helpful to take a quick look at what the opponent's doing on their controller when they're stuck to have a bit more information.

Last edited:

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Is it me or Yoshi finds it harder to DI out of a shield locked AS charge? Even on centre stage. I Broke the shield of a good Yoshi in my area and he wasn't even locked.

Top Bottom