• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I can’t be the only one who’s having trouble beating Challenger Aproaching matches?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So I had a fun Smash Ultimate launch party today. People came and had a great time. I, however, embarrassed myself multiple times,which is fine. I notice I’m really bad at this game, but I do just fine in smash 4, it’s weird.

What sucks was trying to unlock characters. Everyone except one of my friends we’re having difficulty unlocking characters. We got frequent challenges, yes, but we were getting our asses handed to us. I’m right now sitting in my room, 4 am, and I’m constantly getting my ass kicked by these cpus and I can’t unlock these damn characters! It’s a little infuriating. If I get lucky, I can win. Worst of all, I don’t have Shulk or Cloud, which would help me out a little bit more, but I’d still probably lose. Is anyone else struggling to beat the challengers?

Phatty

Smash Cadet
I noticed that the CPUs don't handle projectiles well and they can be edgeguarded pretty easily (except for the ones with amazing recoveries). If you have Simon just throw the cross at them. They shield it very infrequently (though be careful offstage).

Mostly, you have to play the CPUs differently than human opponents. They won't respond to movement tricks or mind games and they can react to things that most humans wouldn't. You have to focus more on recognizing their patterns and playing off that. For instance, on battlefield, if you stay on the platform for a few seconds the CPU will always jump and approach you from the air. You can get some easy percent by just waiting, then dropping down and hitting them from below. Try to find little tricks like that and exploit them. A person would adapt but CPUs usually won't. Hope that helps.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I haven’t had a problem once. Yet. Maybe it was just who you were using? Idk.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I lost Shulk, I heard there is an option to retry under “Games and More”, but I haven’t seen anything pop up there, and it’s been hours since I lost to him?

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I don't have the game nor a switch yet

But I heard the cpu matches get harder as you unlock characters
They do, yes. The first few will be like level 3-5 CPUs. By the end they must be at least level 8... which is actually pretty challenging in this game, haha.

Personally I found the challenge pretty enjoyable.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah it was fairly smooth sailing for me up until I got to like the last 10 and I keep getting my ass handed to me by Mewtwo, Bowser Jr., and Dr. Mario. I've unlocked all of theother 1st party characters (I'm leaving the 3rd party characters locked) except them and Palutena. I'm so close just 4 more characters left but I keep dying no matter who I use. K.Rool, DK, Chrom, Wolf, Ganondorf. UGH!

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I lost Shulk, I heard there is an option to retry under “Games and More”, but I haven’t seen anything pop up there, and it’s been hours since I lost to him?
Yeah you have to go into that menu (actually im not even sure if its that menu) and there will be a little glowing symbol in the bottom right corner. You should be able to scroll down to select it and it will engage the challenger approaching matches.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
It shows up only after about 10 minutes [of playing the game] after you lost it.

Top Bottom