• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I came seeking help

Misogi

Smash Rookie
I have a love hate thing with smash, after getting it not that long ago, however My biggest issue is players who are so disrespectful and seem to be robots who predict my every move, its pushing me away from the game
Im new here and Im looking for a help, even a friend. Hopefully Not all the smash players are assholes

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here or here to socialize and have fun.

Check out the new Smash Connect forums for user based services including artwork and customization services.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @WolfieXVII @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

Sdhy

Smash Rookie
Hang in there.

By disrespectful, do you mean they say mean things to you?
Or do they go for Falcon Punches off-stage?
If it's the second one, don't take it personally. They're just going for fun stuff.
If it's the first one, what's the context if I may ask? I don't wanna give intentionally-good-but-turns-out-bad advice.

For me, people are neutral or nice. And yes, I'm a noob.
Can you ask your opponents for tips?
e.g. someone told me I should move more in neutral, so I did that and then he said I was doing better.

Mixing up your approach could make you less predictable
e.g. switch from attacking right away to waiting a bit before you attack.
sometimes hold your shield a bit longer.
throw in some spot dodges, rolls, full jumps, grabs, etc.

One mentality that helps me is to aim to lose, learn and have fun.
Because you're gonna lose a lot early on.
But if you're not trying to win, then you don't get upset when you lose!
Learn what you can and practice, and you'll improve.
It's working for me.

And hey, even players who destroy me lose to the better players in pools.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Hang in there.

If it's the second one, don't take it personally. They're just going for fun stuff.
If it's the first one, what's the context if I may ask? I don't wanna give intentionally-good-but-turns-out-bad advice.
I'm going out on a limb here, and guessing that it's NOT the second one.

DownDog

Smash Rookie
I have a love hate thing with smash, after getting it not that long ago, however My biggest issue is players who are so disrespectful and seem to be robots who predict my every move, its pushing me away from the game
Im new here and Im looking for a help, even a friend. Hopefully Not all the smash players are ********
I'll tell you now not all smash players are like that so that's great. But when you say that they can predict your every move try changing up how you approach and notice what you do a lot that could make that happen. For example, if you are always rolling in the same direction, try changing that up and see if it makes a difference. Oh and one more thing, if they are just bashing your play and telling you you're garbage just ignore it. It happened to me when I started playing competitive smash bros. Over time you'll notice it will dial down a lot and eventually they will respect your play and also yourself. Good luck to you and your journey through smash!

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
sorry to hear about being disrespected we arent all like that lots of nice people here. oh and welcome to the smashboards!

Misogi

Smash Rookie
Jesus, the replies, Sorry it took me this long to reply to the posts, but ill go through them
Hang in there.

For me, people are neutral or nice. And yes, I'm a noob.
Can you ask your opponents for tips?
e.g. someone told me I should move more in neutral, so I did that and then he said I was doing better.

Mixing up your approach could make you less predictable
e.g. switch from attacking right away to waiting a bit before you attack.
sometimes hold your shield a bit longer.
throw in some spot dodges, rolls, full jumps, grabs, etc.

One mentality that helps me is to aim to lose, learn and have fun.
Because you're gonna lose a lot early on.
But if you're not trying to win, then you don't get upset when you lose!
Learn what you can and practice, and you'll improve.
It's working for me.

And hey, even players who destroy me lose to the better players in pools.

Good luck!
Hey sorry for taking this long to reply, and thanks for taking the time out to actually reply, greatly appreciated

I refer to constant taunting during matches, like id be losing and my opponent would taunt, this now doesnt bother me anymore in the time thats past

And I started around november of 2017

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Jesus, the replies, Sorry it took me this long to reply to the posts, but ill go through them

Hey sorry for taking this long to reply, and thanks for taking the time out to actually reply, greatly appreciated

I refer to constant taunting during matches, like id be losing and my opponent would taunt, this now doesnt bother me anymore in the time thats past

And I started around november of 2017
glad it doesnt bother u anymore not letting others tilt you is a very key softskill. play your game let them play yours its your head they aren't aloud to take up space in it without your permission.

Top Bottom