• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Listen, I don't blame anyone if they wren't excited about WoL. After playing it through, I found it to be.....bland, at best.

Dan

Smash Lord
And I know a lot of folk hated SS because they wanted something similiar to Adventure Mode from Melee at first. I can't remember liking SS all that much and I was one of those who was yearning for something like AM.
But SSE was just an improved version of Melee's Adventure mode... :confused:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I personally loved WoL, but only on hard. It was amazing to get that mad but still determined to win at a game. First time in many years, actually.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I personally enjoyed World of Light. I enjoyed all the battles against the spirits, and some battles felt like I was actually fighting the spirit instead of the puppet fighter. My one issue with the game is that there wasn't a lot of cut scenes this time around. They would have been so good.

SubSpace was amazing. The cinematic cutscenes looked awesome for the time, and it told a story, but a good chunk of the game play felt a lot like those Race to the Finish modes, and I hated them, but the battles and cutscenes made up for it.

Smash Melee's Adventure Mode was boring at best in my opinion. Yeah, I know, I trashed Smash Melee. Burn me at the stake already. Seriously, that mode combined both of my least favorite parts about SubSpace and World of Light. Lack of cinematic cutscenes, and Race to the Finish type maps.

However, none of these compare to how horrible the adventure mode was in Smash 4. It was so bad that I lack words to describe it.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
For me everything besides Smash-Mode and Online Mode is an extra. I would have bought the game even with just this two modes because that’s what you will play in the long run. I had fun with WoL and collecting all spirits. But again: the only thing that matters to me and the whole scene are probably Local Smash and online smash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
But SSE was just an improved version of Melee's Adventure mode... :confused:
I think that Melee's adventure mode was more fun, because it was short and arcade-ish... I really played it multiple times with different characters for fun, it was a great mode... on the other hand, I never replayed SSE after I finished it.

Adventure Mode (Melee), the character specific target/platform challenges and Smash Run (3DS) are IMO the best modes so far, and in order to expand the adventure mode they should do many short adventure modes basd on a specific theme, instead of making just one but many hours long.
Cutscenes with character interaction are welcome (as long as you can skip them), but what counts the most is the replay value (something that I think SSE doens't have).

Also, I didn't like that most of the environments in SSE were generic, and the Halberd was the only not generic environment only because it was a big veichle.
Melee's adventure mode had the Mushroom Kingdom, Planet Zebes, a generic Zelda Dungeon (that was still Zelda themed, with iconic enemies and triforces), etc. I'd like more of that, I don't like this new direction (started with Brawl) of making everything "reminiscent of" but still generic, this should be a crossover game.
EDIT: I'd be ok if they cut more than half of the roster in order to add content like that (that obviously requires effort).

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Not being able to see your character is attrocious. It's offensive. How can someone enjoy a game when they can't effing see their chatacyer. Gimi a break. When the mods come along they'll show these so called game devs how to actually make a a game work properly.

You disagree that character visibility is important?
I don’t disagree that character visibility is important but compared to other Smash games I don’t have any more problem finding my character in free for alls. Plus there are plenty of stages with literally nothing going on in the background that you can pick. Idk I honestly think the brightness and contrast settings on my TV take care of any of that just fine (which I haven’t touched) and I haven’t even had the problem nor do I know anyone who has. The game is faster and there’s more going on on the screen than in Brawl or Smash 4 but I’ve literally never had or heard about this issue until this thread

The game isn’t perfect but it’s damn near close and now that it’s two months in I can say that without “new game” bias. You literally didn’t wanna like the game before it came out, of course you’ll find every little insignificant flaw with it (and I don’t think character visibility is insignificant but outside of this thread I haven’t even heard anyone talk about it). The online could use improvement but it’s a fighting game made by Nintendo and I’ll take what I can get from it. Honestly for the most part the online has filled every need I have, sure I’d like more features but as long as I can play the game online and it doesn’t lag horrendously (I only get noticeable lag 1 out of every 30 or 40 matches) I’m cool

You can response to this but I really have nothing else to say. If you don’t see a ton more good than bad in this game you’re not viewing it objectively and you wouldn’t have been happy with whatever game came out

Listen, I don't blame anyone if they wren't excited about WoL. After playing it through, I found it to be.....bland, at best.
It’s a fighting game!! Nobody plays for the single player. Nobody buys the game for the single player. WoL was above and beyond what they needed to do for a single player experience in a fighting game. I’d much rather them spend development time on balancing the characters and multiplayer. They don’t have an unlimited amount of time and obviously their focus went into multiplayer which we should all be very thankful for

**** I would’ve been happy with just classic mode tbh

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I think that Melee's adventure mode was more fun, because it was short and arcade-ish... I really played it multiple times with different characters for fun, it was a great mode... on the other hand, I never replayed SSE after I finished it.
Yeah, but that's null because SSE is like playing Adventure mode like what: 25 times?

I do agree with the rest of your post though; they were scared to make actual Nintendo-themed areas in WoL & SS, whereas Melee's Adventure nailed that.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don’t disagree that character visibility is important but compared to other Smash games I don’t have any more problem finding my character in free for alls. Plus there are plenty of stages with literally nothing going on in the background that you can pick. Idk I honestly think the brightness and contrast settings on my TV take care of any of that just fine (which I haven’t touched) and I haven’t even had the problem nor do I know anyone who has. The game is faster and there’s more going on on the screen than in Brawl or Smash 4 but I’ve literally never had or heard about this issue until this thread

The game isn’t perfect but it’s damn near close and now that it’s two months in I can say that without “new game” bias. You literally didn’t wanna like the game before it came out, of course you’ll find every little insignificant flaw with it (and I don’t think character visibility is insignificant but outside of this thread I haven’t even heard anyone talk about it). The online could use improvement but it’s a fighting game made by Nintendo and I’ll take what I can get from it. Honestly for the most part the online has filled every need I have, sure I’d like more features but as long as I can play the game online and it doesn’t lag horrendously (I only get noticeable lag 1 out of every 30 or 40 matches) I’m cool

You can response to this but I really have nothing else to say. If you don’t see a ton more good than bad in this game you’re not viewing it objectively and you wouldn’t have been happy with whatever game came out

It’s a fighting game!! Nobody plays for the single player. Nobody buys the game for the single player. WoL was above and beyond what they needed to do for a single player experience in a fighting game. I’d much rather them spend development time on balancing the characters and multiplayer. They don’t have an unlimited amount of time and obviously their focus went into multiplayer which we should all be very thankful for

I love to see all the complants if sakurai cut a few of ultimates characters so he could make a ss2

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

I'd literally never seen anyone bringing up complaints about the visuals while playing the game until now, and all of what was just written seems like petty nitpicks. I've played this game every weekend with my brothers and cousin up to 4 or 5 players, and aside from huge stages like Great Cave Offensive, no one has had any complaints about having difficulty keeping track of their characters. I've played in portable mode and in tabletop mode with friends where its harder to see, yet most people are fine with it. No one has had any problem with the smoke effects, and I actually forget that's a thing until someone mentions it. The issue with the detailed backgrounds are... silly. Smash has had beautiful backgrounds since Melee and that has never affected gameplay whatsoever. To be fair, my last medical exam shows that I have very good eyesight which is why I haven't problems keeping track of the action.

I think he is still spiteful at the devs about the roster and holds a grudge against the community for his previous attempt at discussing game design where he fell flat on his face. Funny how he also adds a "case closed" comment as if what he said was unarguable.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I won't complain about visuals when as much as I like Melee, there are some stages and moments when the characters are just behind the percentages and you can't see anything.
This problem was addressed in the subsequent games and it happens a lot less than in Melee did (and if I remember well, the percentage and character icon now becomes transparent if there's a character behind, right? I'm not sure).

I'm also not excited for this game, but for different reasons... I'll probably get it anyway when I'll have a Switch, because I like Smash in general (and after all I still think that this game is an improvement over Smash 4 in any possible way except trophies being PNGs).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm probably gonna get roasted for this, but Ultimate's online currently is honestly pretty close to as good as it gets for Smash, considering all the options this kind of game offers compared to a more traditional fighting game. GSP even with it's quirks does it's job of matchmaking based on skill; people who play stuff like free-for-alls with items probably don't care much about raising it in the first place (even if I don't really see how playing that way is much different from doing it locally with bots, and both being far inferior to having real-life friends to laugh with), and using ''cheese'' rulesets to try and do that is unreliable, because a) the person won't always get the ruleset he put in preferences and b) you can't directly select any stage that isn't Battlefield or Final Destination. All this if they don't simply get trounced by players way better than them no matter what they try.

Arenas are what could use improvements at the moment, mainly in regards to randoms and regulating things to decrease bad behaviour, but with online friends it's near flawless.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Gsp is kind of flawed though. Some people can cheese it. And I was in a team battle where my partner cheesed us to victory and I didn't like it. I can't quit or sd or I'll be punished for that, so I just have to take the gsp I feel I didn't deserve. I left the game of course, but I like team battles and so unfortunately my gsp rose quite a bit with teammate cheesers lol.

Sometimes you don't really want to be serious though, you know? I'd rather be able to pick what kind of mode I want instead of being forced into something they tallied I should be in. Cause when your gsp gets too high you can't just mess around.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gsp is kind of flawed though. Some people can cheese it. And I was in a team battle where my partner cheesed us to victory and I didn't like it. I can't quit or sd or I'll be punished for that, so I just have to take the gsp I feel I didn't deserve. I left the game of course, but I like team battles and so unfortunately my gsp rose quite a bit with teammate cheesers lol.

Sometimes you don't really want to be serious though, you know? I'd rather be able to pick what kind of mode I want instead of being forced into something they tallied I should be in. Cause when your gsp gets too high you can't just mess around.
Can you explain to me what is appreciably better/different about playing randoms online in stuff like free-for all items, as opposed to offline bots or the much more fun real-life friends in the goal of ''messing around''? Because I don't see the appeal. Regardless, arenas can be just as good for setting specific or niche rulesets for both competitive and casual inclinations; they just need some polishing to discourage toxic behaviour.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I just like playing with people as opposed to bots. Nothing really about that. Just feels more fun to know you're up against a real person. Whether it's for being serious or messing around. Not everyone has friends who like smash or have the time to do it right then when I want to. I also live in a very rural area where you can't find those sort of set ups or people who want to bother meeting up at your place or theirs.

I do smash with friends online, but they're not always available again. So it'd be nice to just be able to be serious or chill when I want to. And not when the game deems it.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I can agree with some of the complaints. The visibility of characters was especially hard in some Classic and World of Light challenges.

Honestly WOL is completely unfair at times and can be more frustrating than fun. I also hate the general lack of challenge, like Fighter Spirits can be bought in the store, so what’s the incentive to play classic. Also a Classic and WOL are like the only modes in the game.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I'm probably gonna get roasted for this, but Ultimate's online currently is honestly pretty close to as good as it gets for Smash, considering all the options this kind of game offers compared to a more traditional fighting game. GSP even with it's quirks does it's job of matchmaking based on skill; people who play stuff like free-for-alls with items probably don't care much about raising it in the first place (even if I don't really see how playing that way is much different from doing it locally with bots, and both being far inferior to having real-life friends to laugh with), and using ''cheese'' rulesets to try and do that is unreliable, because a) the person won't always get the ruleset he put in preferences and b) you can't directly select any stage that isn't Battlefield or Final Destination. All this if they don't simply get trounced by players way better than them no matter what they try.

Arenas are what could use improvements at the moment, mainly in regards to randoms and regulating things to decrease bad behaviour, but with online friends it's near flawless.
My problem with online is getting matched up with rulesets that are obviously cheesy and set up to just win

Another problem with Arenas is switching characters and how clunky they can be. You can’t even watch a battle in progress after it starts and I wish you could at least voice chat through the Switch so I don’t have to go on Disclrd with one headphone off

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
people who play stuff like free-for-alls with items probably don't care much about raising it in the first place (even if I don't really see how playing that way is much different from doing it locally with bots, and both being far inferior to having real-life friends to laugh with),
Did you really just indirectly diss the intentions of what smash bros is. Playing any game online could be said about your statement within the parentheses.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I can agree with some of the complaints. The visibility of characters was especially hard in some Classic and World of Light challenges.

Honestly WOL is completely unfair at times and can be more frustrating than fun. I also hate the general lack of challenge, like Fighter Spirits can be bought in the store, so what’s the incentive to play classic. Also a Classic and WOL are like the only modes in the game.
TBF, the number of alt fighter spirits based on the different characters/genders/costumes might be why they'd do that.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
GSP even with it's quirks does it's job of matchmaking based on skill;
Yesterday, at 3 million GSP as Lucina, I got matched with a Cloud with 130K gsp. After that the worst it gets is matching you wiht someone 1-2 million GSP less than you. It has it's screw-ups every now and then.

Top Bottom