• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well yeah lets cross fingers, im kinda sad so many spirits that i would want to be playable. Like Gryll. Shes so damn cute. This game needs more of weird characters and less anime characters.
Agreed. Too many anime fighters. Too many FE fighters. Too many sword wielders.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. Too many anime fighters. Too many FE fighters. Too many sword wielders.
I personally think Hector would have been a good FE addition - we do not have an axe-wielding fighter yet (except Villager maybe?), would have provided some variety to the multitude of sword fighters.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I personally think Hector would have been a good FE addition - we do not have an axe-wielding fighter yet (except Villager maybe?), would have provided some variety to the multitude of sword fighters.
I personally think that FE has gotten a ton of love from the dev team lately and it's time for clearly underrepresented IPs that have sold better than FE to get their turn at newcomers.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that FE has gotten a ton of love from the dev team lately and it's time for clearly underrepresented IPs that have sold better than FE to get their turn at newcomers.
I completely agree - I was unclear in my original post, I should have specified I would have preferred Hector to some of the more recent additions (Corrin, Lucina, etc.). There are other IPs, though, that I would love to see some more characters from.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Oh you guys and saying someone from Persona is an anime fighter just like saying Shulk and the FE characters apparently are too. I will never understand this. Joker brings with him a very cool dynamic to fighting that we don't have in the game. Why would he not be a good thing to have? I have fan favorites too, but I'm not gonna look a gifted horse in the mouth here.

Kairyu24

Smash Cadet
Jokes wields a dagger, so I except him to be a zoning/rushdown instead of a swordie. In spite of being anime, he's the the first one without a longsword or a long weapon(even Robin has one)

He's both a trickster, and has a very diverse skillset in his game.

But based on what he's known for, he might turn out to be some weird fushion between roy, greninja, and Rosalina for all we know. Having a spirit avatar(to put it in layman's terms) might give him puppeteer options. Or just zoning. Anyway, the moveset potentional is there compared to the fire emblem main characters.

GrimPain

Smash Rookie
Also doesn't help when you get the idiots going "anyone that doesn't like this is a baby, entitled, an *******, etc..." just let people vent it's not a big deal we all don't agree on the same ****.
Ehh, it's a two way street in all fairness.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I completely agree - I was unclear in my original post, I should have specified I would have preferred Hector to some of the more recent additions (Corrin, Lucina, etc.). There are other IPs, though, that I would love to see some more characters from.
Yeah. That's my beef with Chrom. If they were going to add yet another FE fighter, could they have at least not made them another Marth clone?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Ehh, it's a two way street in all fairness.
Maybe it is, but they're overly aggressive about shutting down discussion right now. Honestly no it's not really a two-way street, but I'll try and pretend to be reasoned about it

dezeray112

Smash Hero
The huge selection of third party characters killed it for me. Smash Ultimate is just an attempt at all an "Allstar" to me now. I feel like the game neglects more fan favorites than making them the core focus.

This ** was supposed to be Nintendo.
Whilst I do respect your opinion, I personally like third party inclusions and I've already accepted Smash as a game which not just celebrates Nintendo, but a celebration of video games ever since Snake and Sonic's inclusion back in Brawl.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
joker is not an anime character, don't anime character have to have a manga?

I mean don't we have to many characters with 2 eyes?

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Would you like to see Escargon playable? After watching the Kirby series i really want him to kick ass in Smash, but i guess hes like Waluigi to Sakurais Eyes:(

The DLC is not exciting at all for me, the game is awesome but i guess ill try to stay in topic atleast a small bit. Sakurai loves his Kirby, im kind of surprised we have so few from that universe. Some boss trophies could easily be made to playable characters, especially that Little kickboxing guy.

Last edited:

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Would you like to see Escargon playable? After watching the Kirby series i really want him to kick *** in Smash, but i guess hes like Waluigi to Sakurais Eyes:(

The DLC is not exciting at all for me, the game is awesome but i guess ill try to stay in topic atleast a small bit. Sakurai loves his Kirby, im kind of surprised we have so few from that universe. Some boss trophies could easily be made to playable characters, especially that Little kickboxing guy.
a-****ing-greed, this dlc collection is looking sketch as ****

bought the pass just to have a full roster but man about 90% of these newcomers do jack **** for me at all, dlc included. plant a good boi though, he can stay

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
joker is not an anime character, don't anime character have to have a manga?

I mean don't we have to many characters with 2 eyes?
Anime style. Like Fire Emblem after 2012. Obviously manga characters are banned from Smash, but anime-style video game characters have been sneaking in for a while (including ones that still speak Japanese).

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I don't like Joker, but he's still better than the plant; I'm pretty indifferent to the entire thing, but why is everyone saying the DLC sucks when we only know one of 5 characters? Well it does because it's just Piranha and Joker right now, but there's always room for Crash, Banjo, etc. I will be surprised if at least one of them isn't a character like that, but I imagine it being something like that leak that had Banjo, Sylux and yet another FE character.

They need to do Cuphead or something to offset all these boring human characters; definitely a possibility if it comes to Switch.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
better then the plant? I heard joker was good but that good it can't be?

Dan

Smash Lord
I like the plant more than Joker as a character, but Joker is a better choice for a Smash character.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
it's about time we re-evaluate what is a smash character
A Smash Character (A Sma~sh Cha-rac~ter)
A Smash Character is whatever Sakurai/Nintendo want it to be.
Joker's inclusion is a good thing all things considered. Remember when we thought that because Nintendo was choosing the characters, they'd all be Poochy and Adeleine and Edelgard? Nintendo chose Joker as our first DLC character. It's about time we just let Nintendo do their stuff and all be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I'm not saying speculation is wrong but every time we create these preconceived rules only for someone to break them, the entire community goes bonkers.

Well yeah lets cross fingers, im kinda sad so many spirits that i would want to be playable. Like Gryll. Shes so damn cute. This game needs more of weird characters and less anime characters.
Damn straight. I'm still a huge advocate for obscure fighters & Gryll would be absolutely fantastic.
My personal hope is a hockey player from NES Ice Hockey. A man can dream, can't he?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Jokes wields a dagger, so I except him to be a zoning/rushdown instead of a swordie. In spite of being anime, he's the the first one without a longsword or a long weapon(even Robin has one)

He's both a trickster, and has a very diverse skillset in his game.

But based on what he's known for, he might turn out to be some weird fushion between roy, greninja, and Rosalina for all we know. Having a spirit avatar(to put it in layman's terms) might give him puppeteer options. Or just zoning. Anyway, the moveset potentional is there compared to the fire emblem main characters.
Joker will probably play like a Jojo character. Since Persona was heavily inspired by JJBA and its Stands in the first place. In my mind, I picture his core mechanic to be somewhat like that old Capcom JJBA game, but who knows really. If I'm honest, I still haven't gotten around to playing Persona 5, despite my brother having it on his PS4, and pestering me to play it. I probably will now though.

User was warned for this post; flaming
My god OP what a diaper-baby.

edit: diaper-baby reported me for this.
"Oh no, This guy DARES to not like something that I like? Wow, he's such a diaper-baby."

**** outta here, dip****. Toxic douchebags like you are part of the reason the Smash community is viewed as a joke.

EDIT: Hey Losnar, this was directed at you, not BronzeGreekGod.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate strikes me as a celebration of the Smash series. Best way to celebrate is to bring everyone's favorite character and stage back and try to emphasize the elements people like the most about the series (namely multiplayer mode) and retaining/perfecting a tested and much cherished formula. No extravagant changes, just good old fashioned Smash.

And with so much returning content, you can't expect that much new content. Either we bring everyone back and limit the newcomers or we go all out on the newcomers and accept the many character cuts. I'm glad they went with the former. This was a much needed game to round up all the characters of the last two heavily flawed games and have them all together with much-improved mechanics and stage selection. This is exactly what many of us wanted.

That said, I'm not sure how Nintendo will follow up with this. I worry that the series will become stale. We know Nintendo will never push the series into a competitive direction (despite the improvements with Ultimate) nor will they take a chance with trying something new and exciting by altering the tried and tested Smash formula. And they will never again top Ultimate's character roster. So how will they generate hype after this point?

Dan

Smash Lord
That said, I'm not sure how Nintendo will follow up with this. I worry that the series will become stale. We know Nintendo will never push the series into a competitive direction (despite the improvements with Ultimate) nor will they take a chance with trying something new and exciting by altering the tried and tested Smash formula. And they will never again top Ultimate's character roster. So how will they generate hype after this point?
Take a 10-year hiatus and hopefully there will be some crazy leap in gaming technology that can be taken advantage of.

I enjoyed your post; my whole schtick is that World of Light is so boring that I almost wish they didn't even bother with it, but some people seem to enjoy it and I guess there has to have some adventure mode.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Smash Ultimate strikes me as a celebration of the Smash series. Best way to celebrate is to bring everyone's favorite character and stage back and try to emphasize the elements people like the most about the series (namely multiplayer mode) and retaining/perfecting a tested and much cherished formula. No extravagant changes, just good old fashioned Smash.

And with so much returning content, you can't expect that much new content. Either we bring everyone back and limit the newcomers or we go all out on the newcomers and accept the many character cuts. I'm glad they went with the former. This was a much needed game to round up all the characters of the last two heavily flawed games and have them all together with much-improved mechanics and stage selection. This is exactly what many of us wanted.

with a little bit longer development time I honestly don't see how this game can not be remastered for the next console and build on from there.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Obviously the next Smash won't have as many fighters. They'll probably cut all of the fighters that aren't important/popular anymore, and maybe cut some third parties depending on licensing issues. Of course the next Smash will have a new theme, maybe a sequel to WoL or something. Or maybe they'll keep Ultimate's roster and have like 30 newcomers. Who knows?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Been busy but im back to make some controversial statements.

I haven't had much time to play ultimate, but I can say that in the time I have played the game, I've found it to feel boring as all official iterations of the game have felt since melee.

That aside, I've been meaning to write up a long paragraph of examples of good game design vs bad game design but I really haven't had time.

For now though I have a quick - perfect example - of bad game design:

It is absolutely terrible game design when you make it so that players can't see where the hell their characters are on screen, or what is going on. Colour schemes, lighting, and camera movement are very important to having an enjoyable gameplay experience and it's one of the most basic game design rules. This is especially important to get right in a game as chaotic as smash bros. Smash ultimate (and pretty much all smahs games since melee) have unfortunateky thrown that out the window and replaced it with over complicated backgrounds. Sure it's nice to see cool levels, but not at the cost of good gameplay. I just played the game last night with 4 people, and nobody could see wtf was going on. This is a case closed bad game design situation.

I hope someone hacks the game to fix this problem (and other problems I haven't mentioned here) asap.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
That aside, I've been meaning to write up a long paragraph of examples of good game design vs bad game design but I really haven't had time.
I would read it. A lot of the things you said later in the post are actually things that need to be fixed with the game.
It is absolutely terrible game design when you make it so that players can't see where the hell their characters are on screen, or what is going on. Colour schemes, lighting, and camera movement are very important to having an enjoyable gameplay experience and it's one of the most basic game design rules. This is especially important to get right in a game as chaotic as smash bros.
I actually agree with this statement. Almost all of the game play visual effects added to Smash Ultimate absolutely ruined that game's game play. Way too much stuff happening on screen at the same has not only made it less appealing to watch, but really hurts the players trying to fight.

The instant you add more than 3 players (or 4 depending on stage size), it becomes very hard to find your character should you lose sight of him/her. While that statement was also true back in older Smash games, it didn't ever become a problem until Smash Ultimate. This is because the stupid camera zooms, excess smoke, and huge blast zone kill effects that cover the foreground will assure that you will almost always lose sight of your character if you're launched off screen or into the fray. Even on larger stages, I often lose sight of where I am on screen and die at absurdly low percents.

Of course, everything I said doesn't affect 1v1s that much. I would actually argue that 1v1 matches have become more appealing, but it comes at a cost much larger than the benefits. It just hurts a majority of the casual players looking for a fun time with their friends, and the changes honestly were not worth the side effects in my opinion.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Remember when we thought that because Nintendo was choosing the characters, they'd all be Poochy and Adeleine and Edelgard?
And Porky and Sylux.
Yes, I remember those days, and honestly I loved every moment of them (not just because of Adeleine, but also because I prefer first party or at least character who have big involvement with Nintendo).

Anyway, Adeleine is still a possibility, after all, and probably the others too... the only one who is likely dead at this point is Sylux.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t have time to write about this now but I will later why I disagree with almost everything you’ve said and Ultimate is undoubtably objectively (and subjectively for me) the best and most fun Smash game to ever come out. Granted I play more on the competitive side of things and I’m extremely happy with the roster and while there’s characters I’d like I feel like it’s being nitpicky to complain about a roster with 72 amazing and mostly unique characters. I seriously don’t get how people can have problems with the roster at all. People’s expectations kill the game for them

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don’t have time to write about this now but I will later why I disagree with almost everything you’ve said and Ultimate is undoubtably objectively (and subjectively for me) the best and most fun Smash game to ever come out. Granted I play more on the competitive side of things and I’m extremely happy with the roster and while there’s characters I’d like I feel like it’s being nitpicky to complain about a roster with 72 amazing and mostly unique characters. I seriously don’t get how people can have problems with the roster at all. People’s expectations kill the game for them
good luck, some people just like to find fault in everything

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
good luck, some people just like to find fault in everything
Not being able to see your character is attrocious. It's offensive. How can someone enjoy a game when they can't effing see their chatacyer. Gimi a break. When the mods come along they'll show these so called game devs how to actually make a a game work properly.

You disagree that character visibility is important?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It is absolutely terrible game design when you make it so that players can't see where the hell their characters are on screen, or what is going on
Gotta agree. Sometimes it's chaos on screen. And the slow-mo/zoom ins on often minor hits are really annoying.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I will praise a game when it is well due. And this game does a lot right, but online is worst then the WiiU/3ds version. At least, I feel this way. I bought Smash to play online to, so I'm not excited about that. Or that the game kicked all of us because someone had a crap connection that couldn't handle the game and so I got an hour penalty. That doesn't excite me either.

Dan

Smash Lord
Having some time to marinate over the game, I haven't spent as much time with it as I thought I would. WoL is boring, and I'm aching for something more akin to Subspace (I know it's cool right now to trash Subspace since it makes WoL look bad); I literally just go online, play some matches with K. Rool or whoever and spend my gold at the shop.

They need new and exciting modes: give me something akin to Shine Thief for instance, or something we haven't done for the last 20 years. C'mon Nintendo!

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I'd even be down for smash the targets like they did for Melee and Brawl? And I know a lot of folk hated SS because they wanted something similiar to Adventure Mode from Melee at first. I can't remember liking SS all that much and I was one of those who was yearning for something like AM. I kind of liked the Ridely escape level. Gave me a good boost of nostiagia when you escape the real thing in Metroid.

SS was cool though to. It had cutscenes and there seemed to be stuff actually going on instead of an endless cycle of tiles with handicaps.

Top Bottom