• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Sakurai said this after every game, including the first one. This holds no meaning.
I do think that Sakurai himself could retire from the series and tbh I think he deserves it. After this game’s DLC about 20 years of his professional life will have been devoted to making Smash outside of Kirby Air Ride and Kid Icarus Uprising between releases.

Smash will never die. It’s too much of a money maker, but I’d welcome another project lead after Sakurai. I’d love to see Sakurai work on the Kid Icarus series after this game and turn it into a core IP for Nintendo.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I do think that Sakurai himself could retire from the series and tbh I think he deserves it. After this game’s DLC about 20 years of his professional life will have been devoted to making Smash outside of Kirby Air Ride and Kid Icarus Uprising between releases.

Smash will never die. It’s too much of a money maker, but I’d welcome another project lead after Sakurai. I’d love to see Sakurai work on the Kid Icarus series after this game and turn it into a core IP for Nintendo.
I said this a while ago, but Sora Ltd. should really hand off a Smash title to an American studio that Smash works with (probably just NoA) and see how it goes. It feels like Smash is only really in tune with their Japanese audience, and western requests either aren't noticed as much or hold less priority (granted, some western requests are ridiculous, but you get the idea).

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Game design is objective?

Take two people, if one likes a game for one feature and other dislikes the same game because the same feature, it already proves game design is not objective. Now do the same thing to thousands or millions of people.

You also said..

Having story is great... but SSE and WOL do not have a good story. Zelda has a good story, final fantasy has a good story, resident evil has a good story - games built for a story have good stories. Not smash bros though.
Resident Evil has a good story? That mess? This is subjective.. you cant apply this to everyone. I think the story in RE terrible, specially after RE4, with 5 and 6 being terrible games. And Zelda has a good story? For me it's so simple in most of the games that I think I already know everything even before I play the games. And I love Zelda, but I just don't think it has a good story, for me it's just basic, even in Breath of the Wild that they repeat the same thing so many timees that I get bored of talk to any NPC just because I can't hear the Calamity Ganon thing again, cause the writting is pretty poor to me... All this is subjective of course.

Just remember that approval by majority doesnt mean something is objective. Even because that majority can be some niche that cant be objectively measured. There's no need to try to attach the objective word to game design.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
He has a company, people think he will close his company and go live in a temple in the mountains after deliver a product? He will keep making games as long as being paid for it. And I'm pretty sure that if a new Smash ever comes in a new console, he will be there, it not as director, as a
consultant.
I would to see try his hand at another franchise and breath new life into them life he did with Kid Icarus.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Game design is objective?

Take two people, if one likes a game for one feature and other dislikes the same game because the same feature, it already proves game design is not objective. Now do the same thing to thousands or millions of people.

You also said..

Resident Evil has a good story? That mess? This is subjective.. you cant apply this to everyone. I think the story in RE terrible, specially after RE4, with 5 and 6 being terrible games. And Zelda has a good story? For me it's so simple in most of the games that I think I already know everything even before I play the games. And I love Zelda, but I just don't think it has a good story, for me it's just basic, even in Breath of the Wild that they repeat the same thing so many timees that I get bored of talk to any NPC just because I can't hear the Calamity Ganon thing again, cause the writting is pretty poor to me... All this is subjective of course.

Just remember that approval by majority doesnt mean something is objective. Even because that majority can be some niche that cant be objectively measured. There's no need to try to attach the objective word to game design.
Hopefully now that the majority agrees that good game design is subjective the OP will realize such.

But judging by the way this thread has gone that's probably not going to happen.

In all honesty I do think that Melee BTT was a good gamemode, but I'm not disappointed in Ultimate in any way for it not returning.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; flaming
My god OP what a diaper-baby.

edit: diaper-baby reported me for this.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyone that is disappointed with the roster should read my comprehensive analysis of the Ultimate roster.
https://smashboards.com/threads/eve...ates-roster-and-other-assorted-essays.464556/

I already posted an excerpt in this topic a few weeks ago, but here is another one:

The roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is one that which most speculators, including myself, would never have seen coming a year ago. The fact that every veteran in the existence to the franchise returned is incredible enough of its self. That meant 65 characters had to come back for this game for that to happen. The only other time this ever happened in the history of the franchise was with Melee, and that was when there were only 12 veterans to the series. Ultimate is a celebration of the Smash Bros. series as a whole and its 20 year history to date.

At the cost of bringing everyone back, there were less newcomers this time than Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, even with a multitude of clone newcomer additions. Only six non-echo newcomers were added in Ultimate’s base roster, and one of them was based off of another fighter (Isabelle in comparison to Villager). The other five newcomers where a type of clone, echo, that have less differences than what the six Melee clone newcomers had. Taken on its face, this kind of arrangement would normally lead to a massive meltdown with bitter and angry fan reactions.

Yet this time, there is markedly less anger and bitterness than there was with the final rosters for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. Why is this? There are a multitude of reasons.

One is the outright selection of whom got in. Ridley and K. Rool were the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers for over ten years. Many core Smash Bros. fans saw these characters as “distant dreams” since they never were able to get in despite having all the normal credentials (high popularity, distinctiveness, as well as importance to their respective franchises). Both characters making it was enough for much of the Western Smash Bros. fanbase to be satisfied with the newcomer selection (especially older core fans).

Inkling and Isabelle also provided much star power among younger Nintendo fans especially casual Nintendo fans. Splatoon is by far the biggest new IP that Nintendo introduced in the 2010’s, and Isabelle is by far the biggest supporting character for a veteran Nintendo franchise created during the 2010’s. So already with Ultimate, Sakurai had put in the two biggest long running characters and two biggest “fresh faces”. If there were only two spots given two “legacy additions” and only two spots for “fresh faces”, then those four were the best picks that Sakurai could have made for their respective categories.

Simon Belmont never had a long running fanbase requesting him for Smash Bros., nor was he a fresh face. However, the Castlevania series was one with a very deep and long running history with Nintendo platforms and gaming as a whole. Most core gamers have heard about the Castlevania series even if they have not played it. It carries a very important legacy with it and many of its games have been among the highest acclaimed games for their respective platforms (NES, SNES, TGCD, Sega Genesis, PS1, GBA, DS). Castlevania resonates as a series among gamers old and young. Castlevania is integral to both Nintendo and gaming, and thus even though a character was barely requested, Simon Belmont was an universally well received choice for a character (even with so few newcomer slots available), and one that added much prestige to the newcomer selection.

Those five (Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Inkling, and Isabelle) were the Top 5 best choices that could have been made in regards to non-echo newcomer slots for Ultimate.

The only “questionable” choice of the non-echoes was Incineroar, but unfortunately Sakurai’s hands are basically tied in regards to the question of whether a Pokemon newcomer should be added. Sakurai’s freedom in regards to a Pokemon newcomer though lies with picking whom the Pokemon newcomer is (or rather who he feels would be the best pick to represent the present epoch of Pokemon within Smash Bros.). Of the choices likely given (Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Mimikyu, and maybe Lycanroc), Incineroar very well could have been the best choice. A pro-wrestler is an archetype that resonates with a casual audience, and the type of fighter that is oddly missing from a roster with over 70 playable characters. Time will tell how Incineroar is really received among fans, but I think his unveil trailer did much to endear him among core Smash Bros. fans.

Then there is the case of the five echo newcomers. Melee’s six newcomers were added towards the end of Melee’s development due to Sakurai feeling as though there were not enough newcomers added with Melee (only eight). It might have been that the five echoes were planned from the beginning (it seems much more likely that most of them were made late in development), but regardless of whether or not they were, it seems Sakurai and his team learned what clones are well received and which are not. Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu seemed to have more detractors than supporters, as well as Dark Pit for Smash 4 (Ganondorf also got a lot of flak, but that was due to the belief by many Smash Bros. fans that the character should have been a priority for being an unique fighter not a last minute clone whom was only lucky to get in at all due to Captain Falcon and Ganondorf sharing the same body type).

Sakurai’s choices for echoes were all characters through whom are well known (and important) in their home franchises and have large fanbases within them, even if they are not highly requested within Smash Bros. as a whole. Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Ken are all recognizable and familiar with Smash Bros. fans (Dark Samus and Chrom had major NPC roles in the previous game, while Daisy and Ken are recognizable due to the proliferation of the series that those two hail from). These characters had fanbases that were relieved that those characters got in at all, as opposed to whining that being a clone was “beneath them”. With Richter, Sakurai probably surmised even if fans were unfamiliar with the character that they would like him due to the character’s design and personality (like was the case with Roy, another clone most people were unfamiliar with).

The newcomer selection was the among the best that could have been done with the slots and time allowed, even amongst the echoes. That is a very major reason for why there is a lot more satisfaction this time around than there was with Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.

Another very integral reason for there being less anger is the fact that there are simply no major characters for people to rally around anymore. The characters with the biggest credentials left (the three different forms of Toad, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee) all do not have loud, passionate fanbases that K. Rool, Ridley, and Mega Man saw. Of the few characters that do have loud fanbases (Isaac and Geno), not only do these characters have much smaller fanbases than the previously mentioned characters did (Isaac was always a lower Top 10 type of character during much of pre-Smash 4, and Geno even in his peak during pre-Brawl barely cracked the Top 10), but these are characters whom have not been prominent in a very long time (15 years for Isaac, and over 20 for Geno), and have only been a major character in only one or two games. Is it really worth torching Sakurai for not including characters that are arguably retro, especially when DLC is a thing? Most Smash Bros. fans felt that it was not.

On that penultimate sentence, there is another reason why there is far less bitterness with this roster. Most Smash Bros. fans know that there is DLC to look forward to. Fans of third-party characters are especially not worried about their character of choice not making the roster due to the fact that Smash 4 added more third-party newcomers than the base roster did. Fan of characters from recent software (such as Rex & Pyrra from Xenoblade 2, or a character from ARMS) can also look forward to DLC due to the example set by Corrin (whom was the only Nintendo newcomer added through DLC). Overall, DLC offers hope to continue in the future for many character fanbases, and the base roster is the not the end of the show like it was with Melee and Brawl. Even with Smash 4, DLC was still unknown to happen when Smash 4 3DS launched in Japan in September 2014.

Now brings the final factor for why there is a lot more satisfaction and less bitterness with this roster compared to prior games in the series, despite adding less newcomers than the previous three installments. It is the fact that not only were there no cuts this time, but also the fact that all veterans were brought back. With both Brawl and Smash 4, much of the anger and bitterness about the final roster was due to the cuts. For Brawl, many were upset over Mewtwo and Roy not returning for Brawl, and subsequently ended up being the most wanted characters for Smash 4. For Smash 4, it was with Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers, and they subsequently became the most wanted characters for DLC and the next Smash Bros. title. Ultimate brought back everyone, thus eliminating this traditional gripe about the final roster.

It seems in general, the roster did many, many things right. Sure people might argue that another Pokemon could have been chosen instead of Incineroar, but otherwise, these choices are the probably the best Sakurai and his team could have done. I am overall very impressed by the way things turned out for this game’s roster, especially given the circumstances.

We have three newcomers given to promote contemporary Nintendo (Isabelle, Inkling, and Incineroar), two integral characters to major Nintendo franchises (Ridley and K. Rool), and a major legacy guest character (Simon Belmont). Of their respective categories, these characters were quite literally the best choices available (a Pokemon newcomer was going to happen regardless due to the clout of the Pokemon Company).

I have no criticism to give about the base roster’s choices. Sure I would have wished that there would have been more newcomers like everyone else (but this understandable given the limited nature of time and resources), but of the choices that we received, I have no criticism to give.

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Well done Sakurai and the entire Ultimate team. Well done.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Anyone that is disappointed with the roster should read my comprehensive analysis of the Ultimate roster.
https://smashboards.com/threads/eve...ates-roster-and-other-assorted-essays.464556/

I already posted an excerpt in this topic a few weeks ago, but here is another one:

The roster for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is one that which most speculators, including myself, would never have seen coming a year ago. The fact that every veteran in the existence to the franchise returned is incredible enough of its self. That meant 65 characters had to come back for this game for that to happen. The only other time this ever happened in the history of the franchise was with Melee, and that was when there were only 12 veterans to the series. Ultimate is a celebration of the Smash Bros. series as a whole and its 20 year history to date.

At the cost of bringing everyone back, there were less newcomers this time than Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, even with a multitude of clone newcomer additions. Only six non-echo newcomers were added in Ultimate’s base roster, and one of them was based off of another fighter (Isabelle in comparison to Villager). The other five newcomers where a type of clone, echo, that have less differences than what the six Melee clone newcomers had. Taken on its face, this kind of arrangement would normally lead to a massive meltdown with bitter and angry fan reactions.

Yet this time, there is markedly less anger and bitterness than there was with the final rosters for Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4. Why is this? There are a multitude of reasons.

One is the outright selection of whom got in. Ridley and K. Rool were the two most wanted Nintendo newcomers for over ten years. Many core Smash Bros. fans saw these characters as “distant dreams” since they never were able to get in despite having all the normal credentials (high popularity, distinctiveness, as well as importance to their respective franchises). Both characters making it was enough for much of the Western Smash Bros. fanbase to be satisfied with the newcomer selection (especially older core fans).

Inkling and Isabelle also provided much star power among younger Nintendo fans especially casual Nintendo fans. Splatoon is by far the biggest new IP that Nintendo introduced in the 2010’s, and Isabelle is by far the biggest supporting character for a veteran Nintendo franchise created during the 2010’s. So already with Ultimate, Sakurai had put in the two biggest long running characters and two biggest “fresh faces”. If there were only two spots given two “legacy additions” and only two spots for “fresh faces”, then those four were the best picks that Sakurai could have made for their respective categories.

Simon Belmont never had a long running fanbase requesting him for Smash Bros., nor was he a fresh face. However, the Castlevania series was one with a very deep and long running history with Nintendo platforms and gaming as a whole. Most core gamers have heard about the Castlevania series even if they have not played it. It carries a very important legacy with it and many of its games have been among the highest acclaimed games for their respective platforms (NES, SNES, TGCD, Sega Genesis, PS1, GBA, DS). Castlevania resonates as a series among gamers old and young. Castlevania is integral to both Nintendo and gaming, and thus even though a character was barely requested, Simon Belmont was an universally well received choice for a character (even with so few newcomer slots available), and one that added much prestige to the newcomer selection.

Those five (Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, Inkling, and Isabelle) were the Top 5 best choices that could have been made in regards to non-echo newcomer slots for Ultimate.

The only “questionable” choice of the non-echoes was Incineroar, but unfortunately Sakurai’s hands are basically tied in regards to the question of whether a Pokemon newcomer should be added. Sakurai’s freedom in regards to a Pokemon newcomer though lies with picking whom the Pokemon newcomer is (or rather who he feels would be the best pick to represent the present epoch of Pokemon within Smash Bros.). Of the choices likely given (Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Mimikyu, and maybe Lycanroc), Incineroar very well could have been the best choice. A pro-wrestler is an archetype that resonates with a casual audience, and the type of fighter that is oddly missing from a roster with over 70 playable characters. Time will tell how Incineroar is really received among fans, but I think his unveil trailer did much to endear him among core Smash Bros. fans.

Then there is the case of the five echo newcomers. Melee’s six newcomers were added towards the end of Melee’s development due to Sakurai feeling as though there were not enough newcomers added with Melee (only eight). It might have been that the five echoes were planned from the beginning (it seems much more likely that most of them were made late in development), but regardless of whether or not they were, it seems Sakurai and his team learned what clones are well received and which are not. Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu seemed to have more detractors than supporters, as well as Dark Pit for Smash 4 (Ganondorf also got a lot of flak, but that was due to the belief by many Smash Bros. fans that the character should have been a priority for being an unique fighter not a last minute clone whom was only lucky to get in at all due to Captain Falcon and Ganondorf sharing the same body type).

Sakurai’s choices for echoes were all characters through whom are well known (and important) in their home franchises and have large fanbases within them, even if they are not highly requested within Smash Bros. as a whole. Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Ken are all recognizable and familiar with Smash Bros. fans (Dark Samus and Chrom had major NPC roles in the previous game, while Daisy and Ken are recognizable due to the proliferation of the series that those two hail from). These characters had fanbases that were relieved that those characters got in at all, as opposed to whining that being a clone was “beneath them”. With Richter, Sakurai probably surmised even if fans were unfamiliar with the character that they would like him due to the character’s design and personality (like was the case with Roy, another clone most people were unfamiliar with).

The newcomer selection was the among the best that could have been done with the slots and time allowed, even amongst the echoes. That is a very major reason for why there is a lot more satisfaction this time around than there was with Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4.

Another very integral reason for there being less anger is the fact that there are simply no major characters for people to rally around anymore. The characters with the biggest credentials left (the three different forms of Toad, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee) all do not have loud, passionate fanbases that K. Rool, Ridley, and Mega Man saw. Of the few characters that do have loud fanbases (Isaac and Geno), not only do these characters have much smaller fanbases than the previously mentioned characters did (Isaac was always a lower Top 10 type of character during much of pre-Smash 4, and Geno even in his peak during pre-Brawl barely cracked the Top 10), but these are characters whom have not been prominent in a very long time (15 years for Isaac, and over 20 for Geno), and have only been a major character in only one or two games. Is it really worth torching Sakurai for not including characters that are arguably retro, especially when DLC is a thing? Most Smash Bros. fans felt that it was not.

On that penultimate sentence, there is another reason why there is far less bitterness with this roster. Most Smash Bros. fans know that there is DLC to look forward to. Fans of third-party characters are especially not worried about their character of choice not making the roster due to the fact that Smash 4 added more third-party newcomers than the base roster did. Fan of characters from recent software (such as Rex & Pyrra from Xenoblade 2, or a character from ARMS) can also look forward to DLC due to the example set by Corrin (whom was the only Nintendo newcomer added through DLC). Overall, DLC offers hope to continue in the future for many character fanbases, and the base roster is the not the end of the show like it was with Melee and Brawl. Even with Smash 4, DLC was still unknown to happen when Smash 4 3DS launched in Japan in September 2014.

Now brings the final factor for why there is a lot more satisfaction and less bitterness with this roster compared to prior games in the series, despite adding less newcomers than the previous three installments. It is the fact that not only were there no cuts this time, but also the fact that all veterans were brought back. With both Brawl and Smash 4, much of the anger and bitterness about the final roster was due to the cuts. For Brawl, many were upset over Mewtwo and Roy not returning for Brawl, and subsequently ended up being the most wanted characters for Smash 4. For Smash 4, it was with Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers, and they subsequently became the most wanted characters for DLC and the next Smash Bros. title. Ultimate brought back everyone, thus eliminating this traditional gripe about the final roster.

It seems in general, the roster did many, many things right. Sure people might argue that another Pokemon could have been chosen instead of Incineroar, but otherwise, these choices are the probably the best Sakurai and his team could have done. I am overall very impressed by the way things turned out for this game’s roster, especially given the circumstances.

We have three newcomers given to promote contemporary Nintendo (Isabelle, Inkling, and Incineroar), two integral characters to major Nintendo franchises (Ridley and K. Rool), and a major legacy guest character (Simon Belmont). Of their respective categories, these characters were quite literally the best choices available (a Pokemon newcomer was going to happen regardless due to the clout of the Pokemon Company).

I have no criticism to give about the base roster’s choices. Sure I would have wished that there would have been more newcomers like everyone else (but this understandable given the limited nature of time and resources), but of the choices that we received, I have no criticism to give.

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Well done Sakurai and the entire Ultimate team. Well done.
Anyone who complains about the roster got absolutely ****ed by the Grinch Leak (notice how the Grinch Leak is now considered a proper noun and now capitalized). The roster for this game is the best it could possible could be. Obviously I'm disappointed some fighters I wanted aren't in, but that doesn't take away from the game one bit.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I honestly couldn't find a way to be disappointed with the base game roster. Returning characters, overhauls and new fan favorites that were desperately needed (like Ridley and K. Rool) make this feel like the fullest roster of any fighting game ever to me, honestly.

My god OP what a diaper-baby.

edit: diaper-baby reported me for this.
"I got warned on this post for flaming, so I'm gonna edit it to make accusations and flame some more. That'll show OP!"

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not hyped for the game's release. I just feel like playing as some baddies.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
"I got warned on this post for flaming, so I'm gonna edit it to make accusations and flame some more. That'll show OP!"
Meanwhile, there's a "unpopular opinions" post for topics like this. Why don't the admins get on OP for this obvious troll/bait post.

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
I have been observing this thread for a while and thought I might chip in my two cents. I still remember when I first started playing Smash - my brother had rented the original game from a local Blockbuster (that might date me a little), and we spent the next two days playing it non-stop. I was a little disappointed by the lack of villains (whenever I played games with my brother he always picked the good guys, so I developed a preference for the villains), but had enough fun as Kirby that it did not bother me too much.

I was absolutely thrilled when I learned that characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Mewtwo were in Melee. Over time I picked up Roy as well as a "counter" to my brother's Marth and eventually settled on Mewtwo and Roy as my mains. You can imagine that Brawl was a disappointment when I learned that both of my Smash favorites did not make the cut, but I looked at the characters and decided to give both Rob and Meta Knight a go. Eventually I settled on Wolf as my main and had a lot of fun with him.

Smash 4 was fantastic, but I was still a bit disappointed about the lack of Mewtwo. I tried my hand at Greninja and Robin before eventually settling with Shulk and Link (even got me to buy Xenoblade Chronicles to learn more about Shulk, which I enjoyed immensly).. until they announced him as the first DLC character. That was some of the best news I had ever heard!

Ultimate gave me another pleasant surprise in the form of Ridley, a character I would have loved to see but thought would never be included in Smash. I was never in doubt of buying the game, but that just got me more excited.

Where I am going with all of that is that over time I have tempered my expectations with regards to the roster. There will never be a Smash game that has every character I want to play as. I am personally thrilled as long as there are one or two characters that I love in the roster, and I am willing to get to know other characters better if there are not. I have my pipe dreams too (Neku from TWEWY, Sephiroth, Mew, Ghirahim), but I do not hold out too much hope for them and I am more than happy with the current roster.

There will always be a plethora of characters I do not really care about, but I am happy for the fans that have an opportunity to give one of their favorites a try and even though I will personally not touch some of those characters much, I look forward to facing them as opponents.

I think with regards to the roster expectation management is important with a new Smash Bros - it is very easy to fall into echo chambers on the internet and get an inflated idea of the importance or popularity of certain characters, which can lead to near certain hopes that they will be included and massive disappointment when they are not. Whether my dream roster is included or not, I can say with certainty that I have very much enjoyed every iteration of Smash and am looking forward to this new one.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I'm really excited for this game. Only 10 hours away! I have high expectations, which could be a bad thing if the game turns out to be bad. The last time I planned on playing a game at its midnight release was I think Call of Duty MW2 or Call of Duty Black Ops.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing it for the last 1.5 weeks and it beats the stuffing out of smash 4. Trust me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Meanwhile, there's a "unpopular opinions" post for topics like this. Why don't the admins get on OP for this obvious troll/bait post.
There wasn't a report. A Mod saw it and warned it. That's how it goes sometimes.

Now, if there's an issue with the topic. don't derail it in public. Just file a proper report that the topic is unnecessary. And yes, we've been watching the topic and have warned multiple users for inappropriate behavior. So we are handling some of it. Whether or not it is redundant is questionable, but it's not on-topic to discuss it in public, especially in this thread where it's just derailing the OP's actual arguments.

Dan

Smash Lord
My excitement peaked with the K. Rool reveal (higher than it ever was), but has been on a steady decline since Isabelle, and hit rock bottom with Piranha Plant. WoL looks like soulless time-wasting trash (when Andre Segers trashes something you know it sucks) and there's literally nothing to sink your teeth into outside of pure gameplay: no trophies to collect, Spirits are just a replication of SSE's most pointless feature (stickers), etc. I'm like 8/10 anticipation for the game, which is fine. It might turn out to be "just another game" for me if the gameplay isn't deep enough.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
So we got a new DLC announcement.

But it wasn't what OP wanted, so now Smash Ultimate is an even worse game somehow, I'm sure.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
So we got a new DLC announcement.

But it wasn't what OP wanted, so now Smash Ultimate is an even worse game somehow, I'm sure.
I think Joker's reveal was boring and awful, worse than Isabelle's. I'm deeply questioning how generic anime boy is going to fit into the cast.

But I'll probably still buy him and enjoy him. And may end up loving him.

Some people though? Sour grape till the end.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
I think Joker's reveal was boring and awful, worse than Isabelle's. I'm deeply questioning how generic anime boy is going to fit into the cast.

Never doubt Sakurai's ability to faithfully work with a character to translate them into Smash. And I wouldn't call Joker a generic anime boy by a long shot.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice

>How does generic anime boy
You mean most of the characters in smash like Link and Marth?

At least with Joker he actually appeared on an Nintendo System as supposed to say Cloud, who were kinda on a nintendo game but it's a bit of a stretch honestly

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>How does generic anime boy
You mean most of the characters in smash like Link and Marth?

At least with Joker he actually appeared on an Nintendo System as supposed to say Cloud, who were kinda on a nintendo game but it's a bit of a stretch honestly
Joker is also a stretch though to be fair.
They've both appeared in one way or another.

GrimPain

Smash Rookie
Hmm, I kinda wonder what the age of the people who are disappointed in the roster are on average. I kind of notice with younger folks these days nothing, no matter how big of a deal doesn't faze them, with a "is that it?" attitude. I say this as someone who sees that this game really is a miracle that it even exists at all, really. It's a licensing nightmare, and quite frankly, if smash were to stop, we would likely never see a game with all these characters in it together again.

When I was a kid at blockbuster, I didn't really know what smash was, but boy did I flip out when I saw Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Fox , Link and Kirby that I absolutely had to rent it because I never thought to ever see those characters all in one game. Still blows me away when I look at the roster we have now, and its STILL growing.

I probably do have an advantage in that I don't really set expectations and just happily wait for official character reveals, and am happy with every character even if I don't really have an attachment to said character. It just adds to all the mash up in the end that made me love this game from the start.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I kinda wonder what the age of the people who are disappointed in the roster are on average. I kind of notice with younger folks these days nothing, no matter how big of a deal doesn't faze them, with a "is that it?" attitude. I say this as someone who sees that this game really is a miracle that it even exists at all, really. It's a licensing nightmare, and quite frankly, if smash were to stop, we would likely never see a game with all these characters in it together again.

When I was a kid at blockbuster, I didn't really know what smash was, but boy did I flip out when I saw Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Fox , Link and Kirby that I absolutely had to rent it because I never thought to ever see those characters all in one game. Still blows me away when I look at the roster we have now, and its STILL growing.

I probably do have an advantage in that I don't really set expectations and just happily wait for official character reveals, and am happy with every character even if I don't really have an attachment to said character. It just adds to all the mash up in the end that made me love this game from the start.
SAD, very very sad.... but true Odd I do the same thing with character reveals

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I'm disappointed, and I'm getting old. I know people around my age that are disappointed, it be that way sometimes.

Disappointed doesn't mean "oh no this game is terrible now" all the time, it's just that when there's a mountain of characters, and the character you want still aren't in, and characters like Joker here keep popping in, it begins to dawn on you that it just ain't happening anymore. I still don't have a lot of characters I wanted in for 10+ years, and I'm not excited for many of these new guys; so really I'm just bummed about the roster and that's really all there is to it. Not infuriated, not "Smash Ultimate is a worse game now", just bummed.

Also doesn't help when you get the idiots going "anyone that doesn't like this is a baby, entitled, an asshole, etc..." just let people vent it's not a big deal we all don't agree on the same ****.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think a big part of the "disappointment" problem is that we tend to foolishly tie characters we like into our identities. When our character is given the shaft for years, we perceive it as a slight against us. We'd feel much less pain if we could detach ourselves better from the games and characters that we like.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
I expect people to be silent for the first month because if the game is good, they would be too busy playing it instead of discussing it constantly.

Happy D7 everyone! SSBU is out now! It's good, start playing it.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think a big part of the "disappointment" problem is that we tend to foolishly tie characters we like into our identities. When our character is given the shaft for years, we perceive it as a slight against us. We'd feel much less pain if we could detach ourselves better from the games and characters that we like.
That's not a bad point actually, and something I definitely used to do.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
There’s very little wrong with this game. Nothing a UI mod can’t fix at least. I don’t see why you feel the need to boycott it just because the roster didn’t match your wishes exactly. It’s a dumb and childish reason to hate the game.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Well yeah lets cross fingers, im kinda sad so many spirits that i would want to be playable. Like Gryll. Shes so damn cute. This game needs more of weird characters and less anime characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom