• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Thank you RileyXY1 RileyXY1 and nirvanafan nirvanafan for clarifying

Still skeptical about legitimacy though, but hey if the fans get Banjo than that’s a plus right?

Also nirvanafan nirvanafan , you mean this image
the image was like the jet force gemini picture being in that program with the datamined stuff, there were files labeled Marx01, Marx02, Marx03, etc, somewhere around 6-8 was selected and the description was a question asking which spirit is Chrom's sister, I do not remember much other than that, i think, but i could be wrong, other boss files were there but they were either a single file or max out early but Marx seemed to have a bit more then that, like i said though i was mainly focusing on the other details and have not seen the image since yesterday so i could be remembering the last part wrong

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Wat? sauce?

Said this a million times. Its not about my characters. Go read my posts.
Some credible leakers who were right about Incineroar, Plant, their movesets, etc. are claiming there's a day one patch that's adding "new modes." Hopefully ones that are MIA so far like stage builder and stadium.

NarBäk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4660-5701-9228
I duno about you guys, but I was really hype about Ultimate when it was revealed, but at this point im really underwhelmed. The game was looking like it was really going to be "ultimate" but its just another regular installment of the game when you really look at it. There are really only 3 HUGE character reveals, with the rest being stupid sakurai choices, and now im hearing the square rep is probably gona be a dragon quest rep, and its been talked about for a while that steve is in the game - not banjo. Plus the lack of interesting game modes is a huge issue as well. Why would i get a game with barely any new content?

Seriously without Geno, Isaak and Skull Kid, or Banjo-kazooie in the game, i dont give a crap about other character additions. The rest is all just fluff. Im tired of Sakurai adding garbage characters that are in no way exciting. Im at the point where i might just stick to playing Project M and not bothering with Ultimate at all.

i know how you feel, but most of your complains are about completely unconfirmed speculation

i really also agree with the modes complain, but
smash tour was sealed in hell

about the thing i don't understand about this, why about the characters
stupid sakurai choices don't exist
he tried to make the maximum amount of people happy, not only you, sakurai probably didn't put a lot of characters that he personaly wanted, and
like, 3 good characters?
if you don't like that sakurai didn't put the exact characters you wanted, then don't buy

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
A fighter you dislike is also a fighter somebody else likes. If I'm being honest, I only got three newcomers that I wanted. For the record, Ridley and King K Rool were not on that list. I don't particularly dislike them, but I see why they were added. They both have huge fan bases, but I'm sure there were still just as many people wanting all the other newcomers as well. Inklings was a big one, and so was Incineroar. Probably not Piranha Plant though. That one came straight out of the left field.

To be honest, I'm still excited. Three newcomers in one game that I am super hyped about is a good thing. Bringing all fighters back was literally a dream come true. Snake wouldn't be here without it most likely, and I know an ecstatic Pichu main in real life. Just because the Grinch Leak wasn't real doesn't mean we have to go hate on Sakurai for not adding in dream picks. If you must know, I was excited for Simon, even more so Richter, and Chrom after finding out he was likely going to be a better version of one of my favorite casual fighters Roy.

I also feel like that the Grinch Leak was designed to get people upset as 5/7 characters were some of the more wanted fighters. Everyone felt like they were entitled to have all of them, and are taking anger out on Nintendo when they found out the leak was fraudulent. People just need to get over the Grinch Leak not being real as sad as it is.

If you're still upset that the newcomers didn't like up with who you wanted them to be, then I just have one thing to say to you. It's been said so many times, so I don't feel like paraphrasing. I'll just quote someone instead.
if you don't like that sakurai didn't put the exact characters you wanted, then don't buy

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
We have. We still don't understand your position, and you still come across as either entitled or someone who enjoys aspects of Smash that few others enjoyed.
"few" enjoy other aspects of smash cause they haven't been provided to us. Break the targets and board the platforms were amazing single player modes, far superior than the modes given to us the past 3 games. Smash has so much more to offer than the basic competitive modes. If anyone says that SSE had better challenges than melee break the targets they must be on lean and are the type of people that like mumble rap and honey booboo.

A fighter you dislike is also a fighter somebody else likes. If I'm being honest, I only got three newcomers that I wanted. For the record, Ridley and King K Rool were not on that list. I don't particularly dislike them, but I see why they were added. They both have huge fan bases, but I'm sure there were still just as many people wanting all the other newcomers as well. Inklings was a big one, and so was Incineroar. Probably not Piranha Plant though. That one came straight out of the left field.

To be honest, I'm still excited. Three newcomers in one game that I am super hyped about is a good thing. Bringing all fighters back was literally a dream come true. Snake wouldn't be here without it most likely, and I know an ecstatic Pichu main in real life. Just because the Grinch Leak wasn't real doesn't mean we have to go hate on Sakurai for not adding in dream picks. If you must know, I was excited for Simon, even more so Richter, and Chrom after finding out he was likely going to be a better version of one of my favorite casual fighters Roy.

I also feel like that the Grinch Leak was designed to get people upset as 5/7 characters were some of the more wanted fighters. Everyone felt like they were entitled to have all of them, and are taking anger out on Nintendo when they found out the leak was fraudulent. People just need to get over the Grinch Leak not being real as sad as it is.

If you're still upset that the newcomers didn't like up with who you wanted them to be, then I just have one thing to say to you. It's been said so many times, so I don't feel like paraphrasing. I'll just quote someone instead.
my problem isnt the characters that made it in. my problem is the characters that have essentially been deconfirmed cause theyre assist trophies. I mean i have a tiny bit of hope that maybe, just maybe assists can become playable as dlc, but i have a strong feeling that isnt gona happen.

and the characters i want are characters that have been talked about for a long time by many people, not just myself.

Im just not hype about the game right now. I'm interested to see if anything good will come of dlc, but im just hyped out.

Last edited:

ubiblu

Smash Rookie
Piranha Plant is infinitely more recognisable than any other first party character you could probably name. Hell, it was literally the third ever nintendo video game character people would experience (1-1, Super Mario Bros). I tested this hypothesis with my very non-gamer wife, and she's like 'oh, that's the plant from mario'. I then showed her pictures of Isaac, Ashley, Lip, Dixie, Geno, Banjo, and Mach Rider. Nothing.

Honestly, Piranha Plant's inclusion was sheer genius and came as a total suprise to everyone. You can keep dreaming about your obscure, single game from the 90's fan favourites, but reality needs to set in at some point: the base roster caters to everyone, so at this point Nintendo is going to include DLC characters that maximise profit. Just an observation rather than a 'nur nur, you're dumb' post.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I dont get how break the targets and board the platforms are any fun,

Arthur97

Smash Master
Piranha Plant is infinitely more recognisable than any other first party character you could probably name. Hell, it was literally the third ever nintendo video game character people would experience (1-1, Super Mario Bros). I tested this hypothesis with my very non-gamer wife, and she's like 'oh, that's the plant from mario'. I then showed her pictures of Isaac, Ashley, Lip, Dixie, Geno, Banjo, and Mach Rider. Nothing.

Honestly, Piranha Plant's inclusion was sheer genius and came as a total suprise to everyone. You can keep dreaming about your obscure, single game from the 90's fan favourites, but reality needs to set in at some point: the base roster caters to everyone, so at this point Nintendo is going to include DLC characters that maximise profit. Just an observation rather than a 'nur nur, you're dumb' post.
If you mean first parties in general, there are still others that trump it. If you mean ones that aren't in then sure.

It is also hardly the third character Nintendo made. Donkey Kong?

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
"few" enjoy other aspects of smash cause they haven't been provided to us. Break the targets and board the platforms were amazing single player modes, far superior than the modes given to us the past 3 games. Smash has so much more to offer than the basic competitive modes. If anyone says that SSE had better challenges than melee break the targets they must be on lean and are the type of people that like mumble rap and honey booboo.

my problem isnt the characters that made it in. my problem is the characters that have essentially been deconfirmed cause theyre assist trophies. I mean i have a tiny bit of hope that maybe, just maybe assists can become playable as dlc, but i have a strong feeling that isnt gona happen.

and the characters i want are characters that have been talked about for a long time by many people, not just myself.

Im just not hype about the game right now. I'm interested to see if anything good will come of dlc, but im just hyped out.

Hi. I have not posted here in eon's, but I wanted to post something because it is a teachable moment.

I am sorry you feel disappointed. It really sucks when you want something really badly, and your expectations are not satisfied the way you'd like them to be. Even worse when outside sources and other people egg on your expectations. It's like when you're a kid and you expect a video game and get a copy of Huckleberry Finn. It kind of sucks.

But, I'm going to tell you that approaching things this way(and please don't take too much offense for me butting in here like this) is actually super unhealthy. A lot of people here are passionate about the game, and so they're kind of going at you aggressively or agreeing with you in hyperbolic terms-- which is understandable, there's a lot of emotion around this game! But letting your hype and ferver over things you want influence your opinion when you don't get those things isn't a healthy thing to do.

Life is full of really hard moments(much harder than this game coming out) where you will expect one thing and get another and if you let your biases dictate how you approach these moments, you will miss out on so many amazing things. You can draw a straight line from this to probably a dozen more decisions you're going to do in the future where you'll **** up something amazing you could experience or see, just because of the way you're approaching this. I was the same way! And totally get it! But part of this is understanding how the process of development works, and every time you make something unfortunately there will always be people left out of the loop. The developers of course, are human, and human beings can only do so much.

I have had a significant role(Varying over the years) in competitive fighting gaming and communities around it for the past 10 or so years, and what I always notice is when people do not get what they want there is usually an angry visceral outcry, that makes the community toxic and also makes the people who are yelling so loud feel so much worse and ****ty. The people I have seen who are the happiest, don't just blindly accept things-- but they try their best to express themselves, and work towards finding the value in something so they can at least experience whatever gift their given. Sometimes, they don't find much(Tripping in Brawl, SFV imbalance, MvC:I Graphics)-- but sometimes they find wonderful things that actually enrich their lives and experiences.

I hope you somehow don't let your favorite characters not being in here, ruin whatever other amazing things you'll experience from just playing this game. i hope you don't let it cloud the people you'll meet at events for it, or the excitement you'll get if you get past the obvious disappointment you have right now. I hope when you get handed a copy of Huckleberry Finn for your seventh birthday, you don't chuck it aside wishing you got a videogame. Because when I turned 25, and went back and opened up that book, I felt a great sense of understanding and gleaned a ton of history from it's pages that helped me become a much wiser person-- and influenced my life to this day.

I hope you don't feel that I'm trying to condescend to you, just trying to say as someone who's probably a bit older than you with a lot more experience under his belt-- it's in your best interest to give this thing a shot, and be a little less angry at the developers for not putting in all of the things you wanted. You have every right to feel disappointed, but you also have every right to try and make the best of your situation, and turn it into something positive. Either way, I hope you feel better, because I'm sure everybody here would love to play this game with you. -Z

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah, sorry, that's completely subjective. You may think they're fun, but clearly the dev team didn't get enough positive feedback from them to warrant taking up extra development time in Ultimate.

If you're salty about AT's, go ahead. Plenty of people are. But to be fair, the only AT ho had a decent chance IMO was Skull Kid. The other AT's were out of the question. Sakurai has his reasons, he doesn't make his choices on a whim, he has reasons behind each one, and he has reasons why some characters simply aren't fighters, and we have to accept that. You don't have to be excited. But to say "I don't give a crap about the other inclusions" completely disregards the years of hard work and effort the dev team put in simply because a few fighters you wanted aren't in.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon

Not every character can make it in. Sakurai was limited on choices. If he chose to make Ridley and King K Rool assist trophies in favor of putting Issac and Shadow in the game, there would be an outcry from the community way bigger than what we're seeing right now.

NOT EVERY FIGHTER CAN MAKE THE CUT. They don't instantly say "Okay, let's make Issac and Shadow assist trophies". they look over all the fighters everyone everywhere wants (and I'm not just talking about those who actively voice themselves on forums), assess their limitations, choose who they want ahead of time, and make the rest assist trophies if that is even possible. In the end, only the truly ungrateful and a few extremely unlucky folks are displeased by the choices they made. You shouldn't judge a company for their limitations and not strictly appealing to you as an individual. That's just ungrateful.

If you really want to begin promoting assist trophies, where does it stop? They would also have to add Ashley, Bomberman, Springman, Knuckle Joe, Krystal, Lyn, Midna, Rodin, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Springman, Waluigi, and probably at least five more I can't recall off the top of my head. I guarantee you that someone is going to post the fact that they want Andross or the Moon in the game if Nintendo begins promoting assist trophies. They won't have enough time to hit them all while adding all their planned newcomers and keeping true on the "Everyone is Here" promise. If that ever happens, it will absolutely have to wait until Smash 6 and maybe even continue into Smash 7.

It's time to wake up from the Grinch dream.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Agreed. All of this Grinch Leak salt that's being thrown around is immature and entitled. **** hits the fan whenever someone brings up a character that got shafted and/or has a hard deconfirmation. Sorry, but even if we can get up to 30 DLC newcomers, none of them are going to be assist trophies. They're not going to use up a rather limited amount of space on characters who are already well represented in the game.

NarBäk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4660-5701-9228
HEY! HERE'S A REALLY COOL LEAK

you have reason to dislike the cutting of target smash

but first
your opinions aren't facts
you can't claim that your opinion is right
second
you have a fighting game with
900+ songs
103 stages
70+ fighters
a few awesome modes
WORLD OF LIGHT
customs done right

and you are crying because sakurai can't read your mind and 2 modes needed to be cut

like, go play melee
it's not like it's controversial

sorry for all of this
but being that ungrateful is outta my mind

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

but first
second
900+ songs
103 stages
70+ fighters
a few awesome modes
WORLD OF LIGHT
customs done right

and you are crying because sakurai can't read your mind and 2 modes needed to be cut

like, go play melee

sorry for all of this
These are all facts. Amazing facts. Truer words have never been spoken.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
My problem is deconfirming and/or lowering the likelyhood of so many other huge characters.
I wouldn't let characters assist reveals get you down. There is no hard rule stating that Assists can't be characters. Keep in mind with that same mindset, Chrom shouldn't be a playable character because he returned as Robin's Final Smash. Fan rules are absolute crap and If Sakurai has the opportunity he will do what he can to make fans happy. I doubt something as arbitrary as Skull Kid or Isaac being an Assist will dissuade Sakurai from making him playable if he sees fan demand.

The only reason I can imagine AT deconfirming characters is if DLC was decided back in 2015 and there is no chance of additional DLC down the road. Such a decision, just on the former statement, would be a completely ridiculous design decision.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Agreed. All of this Grinch Leak salt that's being thrown around is immature and entitled. **** hits the fan whenever someone brings up a character that got shafted and/or has a hard deconfirmation. Sorry, but even if we can get up to 30 DLC newcomers, none of them are going to be assist trophies. They're not going to use up a rather limited amount of space on characters who are already well represented in the game.
I feel like that’s being entirely too harsh on characters. I ageee we certainly won’t see any of them in the current Fighters Pass, but for future ones Nintendo clearly has an understanding of what fans want or at least have been keyed into a couple of areas where people may want characters.

I could definitely see a character or two getting the upgrade from Mii Costume or Assist Trophy for DLC begins the initial Fighter Pass.

Especially when those things have basically knocked out so many candidates already and there is plenty of potential with those characters.

TheRedKnightMC

Smash Cadet
I found this on a website, https://nintendosoup.com/theres-a-p...super-smash-bros-ultimates-internal-codename/

According to the leaker, the internal codename for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is “Cross2”. There is something significant behind the codename, as Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U’s codenames are “cross_c” and “cross_f” respectively.

The “Cross2” codename emphasizes a point Masahiro Sakurai made in a recent interview this week. The director said that the team behind Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are also working on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, something which has not happened since Melee. So the codename is used to symbolize that very thing.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Hi. I have not posted here in eon's, but I wanted to post something because it is a teachable moment.

I am sorry you feel disappointed. It really sucks when you want something really badly, and your expectations are not satisfied the way you'd like them to be. Even worse when outside sources and other people egg on your expectations. It's like when you're a kid and you expect a video game and get a copy of Huckleberry Finn. It kind of sucks.

But, I'm going to tell you that approaching things this way(and please don't take too much offense for me butting in here like this) is actually super unhealthy. A lot of people here are passionate about the game, and so they're kind of going at you aggressively or agreeing with you in hyperbolic terms-- which is understandable, there's a lot of emotion around this game! But letting your hype and ferver over things you want influence your opinion when you don't get those things isn't a healthy thing to do.

Life is full of really hard moments(much harder than this game coming out) where you will expect one thing and get another and if you let your biases dictate how you approach these moments, you will miss out on so many amazing things. You can draw a straight line from this to probably a dozen more decisions you're going to do in the future where you'll **** up something amazing you could experience or see, just because of the way you're approaching this. I was the same way! And totally get it! But part of this is understanding how the process of development works, and every time you make something unfortunately there will always be people left out of the loop. The developers of course, are human, and human beings can only do so much.

I have had a significant role(Varying over the years) in competitive fighting gaming and communities around it for the past 10 or so years, and what I always notice is when people do not get what they want there is usually an angry visceral outcry, that makes the community toxic and also makes the people who are yelling so loud feel so much worse and ****ty. The people I have seen who are the happiest, don't just blindly accept things-- but they try their best to express themselves, and work towards finding the value in something so they can at least experience whatever gift their given. Sometimes, they don't find much(Tripping in Brawl, SFV imbalance, MvC:I Graphics)-- but sometimes they find wonderful things that actually enrich their lives and experiences.

I hope you somehow don't let your favorite characters not being in here, ruin whatever other amazing things you'll experience from just playing this game. i hope you don't let it cloud the people you'll meet at events for it, or the excitement you'll get if you get past the obvious disappointment you have right now. I hope when you get handed a copy of Huckleberry Finn for your seventh birthday, you don't chuck it aside wishing you got a videogame. Because when I turned 25, and went back and opened up that book, I felt a great sense of understanding and gleaned a ton of history from it's pages that helped me become a much wiser person-- and influenced my life to this day.

I hope you don't feel that I'm trying to condescend to you, just trying to say as someone who's probably a bit older than you with a lot more experience under his belt-- it's in your best interest to give this thing a shot, and be a little less angry at the developers for not putting in all of the things you wanted. You have every right to feel disappointed, but you also have every right to try and make the best of your situation, and turn it into something positive. Either way, I hope you feel better, because I'm sure everybody here would love to play this game with you. -Z
very well said

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I
Never
Believed
The
Grinch
Leak

Not every character can make it in. Sakurai was limited on choices. If he chose to make Ridley and King K Rool assist trophies in favor of putting Issac and Shadow in the game, there would be an outcry from the community way bigger than what we're seeing right now.

NOT EVERY FIGHTER CAN MAKE THE CUT. They don't instantly say "Okay, let's make Issac and Shadow assist trophies". they look over all the fighters everyone everywhere wants (and I'm not just talking about those who actively voice themselves on forums), assess their limitations, choose who they want ahead of time, and make the rest assist trophies if that is even possible. In the end, only the truly ungrateful and a few extremely unlucky folks are displeased by the choices they made. You shouldn't judge a company for their limitations and not strictly appealing to you as an individual. That's just ungrateful.

If you really want to begin promoting assist trophies, where does it stop? They would also have to add Ashley, Bomberman, Springman, Knuckle Joe, Krystal, Lyn, Midna, Rodin, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Springman, Waluigi, and probably at least five more I can't recall off the top of my head. I guarantee you that someone is going to post the fact that they want Andross or the Moon in the game if Nintendo begins promoting assist trophies. They won't have enough time to hit them all while adding all their planned newcomers and keeping true on the "Everyone is Here" promise. If that ever happens, it will absolutely have to wait until Smash 6 and maybe even continue into Smash 7.

I really dont think they try to get all the characters in the game that everyone wants. They do that a little, but they then pump out promotional crap as well.

but first
second
900+ songs
103 stages
70+ fighters
a few awesome modes
WORLD OF LIGHT
customs done right

like, go play melee

sorry for all of this
Why did modes NEED to be cut in smash bros ULTIMATE? Those basic modes shoulda been shoe ins, and then there should have been even more new modes for us to enjoy. The game is celebrating all of smash, so at the very least, those staples of the game should have made it in. And the argument "go play melee" is just so hollow. Clearly people want to play a new game with new challenges. Which is the problem.. we're getting new games without new challenges. We're getting recycled challenges.

I love when people say opinions arent facts. Sure theyre not, but there is something called game design 101, and there are certain rules that when followed you achieve a much deeper, challenging, fun game. When you get too far away from those rules, the game becomes more flimsy and less technical. For arguments sake here - are we going to argue something like RE6 is better than RE4? RE4 is absolutely the superior game and there is nothing to be said about that. No opinions. Its objective. If you say otherwise you are absolutely wrong and should stop talking about games. And how about Mario kart 64 vs mario kart 8? 8 has SO much more content, but 64 had way more depth to the gameplay which made it a lot more fun. MK8 severely lacked any character and depth even with all that content. When you look at games and break down their design pros and cons, you can strip them down to bear bones and make clear points as to why the game is good or bad or so-so. Ultimate has a lot of good going for it, but there are a lot of shortcuts being made to make some parts of the game look bigger than they actually are (im talking purely game modes here not characters).

WOL does not really look that good to me, it looks very shallow. Classic mode looks a lot better from what i've seen. WOL looks impressive at the surface, but its jsut got a lot of flashy bells and whistles attached to it without a lot of substance or depth.

What customs do you mean?

I cant get mad at this post lol. You're right. It's just been disappointing since melee. Since Ganondorf was a clone, its been a disappointing journey. And smash Ultimate sounded like its really gona take it to the next level, and while it has in a few ways, it really hit the breaks HARD all of a sudden. It really seemed like all the characters that sakurai has ever considered in the past had the best chance ever to get in right now. And if they cant get in now, well theyre never gona make it. Really there are just so damn many characters in the smash roster that have me and my friends asking why? And that doesnt even include piranha plant. I would replace PP with any character, but PP is above a lot of other characters in the game. Like seriously Corrin, Robyn, Clonendorf, wii fit trainer, duck hunt, greninja, Incinaroar, Isabelle. Im less bothered by the last few honestly, but they really are just a waste of space when you take into account the following. There are so many characters bloating the roster, when there are so many other characters that would be SO MUCH MORE MEANINGFUL to add. There are so many nintendo IP's that would mean so much more to nintendo if they were added, and would mean so much more to nintendo fans. In my list above, wii fit, and duck hunt are probably the most meaningful inclusions that i dont personally enjoy, and Clonendorf is a very meaningful inclusion from the start, but its was such a disservice to the character, and a solution should have been implemented to have hi decloned in brawl. But what my point was here is that those three additions are a lot better than adding generic pokemon and generic anime sword fighters.

And it's seriously completely insane to deconfirm characters like isaak and skull kid when they could be dlc. Why would they not free up these insanely popular characters and literally use them to sell the **** outa dlc? Its nuts.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And it's seriously completely insane to deconfirm characters like isaak and skull kid when they could be dlc. Why would they not free up these insanely popular characters and literally use them to sell the **** outa dlc? Its nuts.
Because then we'd be accusing them of holding back content to sell us later, you know, the practice that made people not like DLC.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Because then we'd be accusing them of holding back content to sell us later, you know, the practice that made people not like DLC.
the base game actually has a lot of content. It's a full game. I just want to know that dlc has NO limits. I wana know this game is gona be supported up the ass. As long as the dlc prices are reasonable, i see nothing wrong with that. When i see that theyre deciding to limit possibilities for dlc then im like ok i dont even wana buy this untill i know every character that will be available.

Perk

need coffee
I think with how successful the Switch has been with sales, opens a lot more doors/opportunities for characters and content to be added for smashu. I've only ever played smash with friends and super casually, but this game has gotten everyone extremely excited to play. with most of us more eager to try new characters as opposed to going back to childhood mains.

I think with as big and popular of a franchise as smash is, its hard not to hold out hope for character/feature xy, or z, but if any version has a chance to add on more things to-its this one.

NarBäk

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4660-5701-9228
I

Why did modes NEED to be cut in smash bros ULTIMATE? Those basic modes shoulda been shoe ins, and then there should have been even more new modes for us to enjoy. The game is celebrating all of smash, so at the very least, those staples of the game should have made it in. And the argument "go play melee" is just so hollow. Clearly people want to play a new game with new challenges. Which is the problem.. we're getting new games without new challenges. We're getting recycled challenges.

I love when people say opinions arent facts. Sure theyre not, but there is something called game design 101, and there are certain rules that when followed you achieve a much deeper, challenging, fun game. When you get too far away from those rules, the game becomes more flimsy and less technical. For arguments sake here - are we going to argue something like RE6 is better than RE4? RE4 is absolutely the superior game and there is nothing to be said about that. No opinions. Its objective. If you say otherwise you are absolutely wrong and should stop talking about games. And how about Mario kart 64 vs mario kart 8? 8 has SO much more content, but 64 had way more depth to the gameplay which made it a lot more fun. MK8 severely lacked any character and depth even with all that content. When you look at games and break down their design pros and cons, you can strip them down to bear bones and make clear points as to why the game is good or bad or so-so. Ultimate has a lot of good going for it, but there are a lot of shortcuts being made to make some parts of the game look bigger than they actually are (im talking purely game modes here not characters).

WOL does not really look that good to me, it looks very shallow. Classic mode looks a lot better from what i've seen. WOL looks impressive at the surface, but its jsut got a lot of flashy bells and whistles attached to it without a lot of substance or depth.

What customs do you mean?

I cant get mad at this post lol. You're right. It's just been disappointing since melee. Since Ganondorf was a clone, its been a disappointing journey. And smash Ultimate sounded like its really gona take it to the next level, and while it has in a few ways, it really hit the breaks HARD all of a sudden. It really seemed like all the characters that sakurai has ever considered in the past had the best chance ever to get in right now. And if they cant get in now, well theyre never gona make it. Really there are just so damn many characters in the smash roster that have me and my friends asking why? And that doesnt even include piranha plant. I would replace PP with any character, but PP is above a lot of other characters in the game. Like seriously Corrin, Robyn, Clonendorf, wii fit trainer, duck hunt, greninja, Incinaroar, Isabelle. Im less bothered by the last few honestly, but they really are just a waste of space when you take into account the following. There are so many characters bloating the roster, when there are so many other characters that would be SO MUCH MORE MEANINGFUL to add. There are so many nintendo IP's that would mean so much more to nintendo if they were added, and would mean so much more to nintendo fans. In my list above, wii fit, and duck hunt are probably the most meaningful inclusions that i dont personally enjoy, and Clonendorf is a very meaningful inclusion from the start, but its was such a disservice to the character, and a solution should have been implemented to have hi decloned in brawl. But what my point was here is that those three additions are a lot better than adding generic pokemon and generic anime sword fighters.

ok ok ok
lets start

yes, the modes are cut, that rly bugs me too

literally, i can't understan de WOL argument, WOL it's a mode that has: RLY creative fights, to break the infinite stale that was gonna be fighting all the 69 characters, if you could explain your concept of it being just flashy, i would appreciate, unironically.

spirits, yes

first:the DLC was chosen by nintendo
second: you already have almost all fan-favorites, sakurai probably only chose TWO characters for himself in the game, ink boi and plant
three: here's a foreign turn: sakurai has a boss

and, for the third time
NOBODY HAS THE LUXURY OF ASKING AND GETTING THE EXACT CHARACTERS THAT YOU WANT
here's a link to smash flash 2
you might get what you want there
https://www.mcleodgaming.com/games/ssf2

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'll be real, the only newcomer I wanted and got was :ultkrool:. But more than that I just was hoping we wouldn't get any cuts, as Smash4 had such a cool roster. Instead Sakurai gave us EVERY CHARACTER EVER!! I can finally play as :ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink: again, and while I'm not a fan of :ultsnake: or MGS it's good to have him back. And I'm pretty excited for :ultpiranha:.

Sure Waluigi was ignored again, Isaac didn't quite make it...I'm still unsure if I'm happy or let down that he was brought back as an AT, Skull Kid is still an AT and my two most wanted characters that arent ATs are third party pipe dreams (Banjo+Sora) but I'm not even worried about DLC, that's just extra, we have over 70 characters on release, if you cant be content with that you really have some crazy entitlement issues because some characters didnt get in...

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I'll be real, the only newcomer I wanted and got was :ultkrool:. But more than that I just was hoping we wouldn't get any cuts, as Smash4 had such a cool roster. Instead Sakurai gave us EVERY CHARACTER EVER!! I can finally play as :ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf::ultyounglink: again, and while I'm not a fan of :ultsnake: or MGS it's good to have him back. And I'm pretty excited for :ultpiranha:.

Sure Waluigi was ignored again, Isaac didn't quite make it...I'm still unsure if I'm happy or let down that he was brought back as an AT, Skull Kid is still an AT and my two most wanted characters that arent ATs are third party pipe dreams (Banjo+Sora) but I'm not even worried about DLC, that's just extra, we have over 70 characters on release, if you cant be content with that you really have some crazy entitlement issues because some characters didnt get in...
Dont you think that add Waluigi is lower the bar for smash characters? He doesnt have a game like his brother Wario (that has a lot of games), or he is not important in any game he is in, he is basically an option in mario tennis games. As I see, he is not important at all and use space of the roster with him is a wasted opportunity of adding a decent character that deserves more. To me the request of Waluigi is just to have a feeling of completion of the team, like even if he doesnt deserves as many other more relevant characters, people want to have him there just because Wario is there, but Wario has far too many reasons to be there. What Waluigi means to games? What is his contributions in memory of players in general? As I see, it's next to nothing....

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I dont get how break the targets and board the platforms are any fun,
seriously? Those were some of the most fun single player challenges ever. Every challenge was catered to your characters abilities and you had to learn how to use those abilities to their fullest to break all the targets and board all the platforms. Furthermore you had to beat the timer to get new characters. They were beautifully crafted challenges. Some of the best game design ive ever seen.

Now imagine on top of having those challenges for single player, add those modes as multiplayer vs modes. Players would scramble to break the most targets or board the most platforms. Players could take over other players platforms, there could be versions where you had to secure platforms for a certain amount of time before it becomes yours, there could be stages with stationary platforms or moving platforms. In some cases new platforms can appear and old ones can leave which means you just have to rack up the numbers, or in other cases the same platforms would be available all game so people could steal each others platforms.

These modes can be incorporated into story mode masterfully as well. Imagine a screen where there is a locked door, and the only way to open it is to hit certain switches (which are essentially targets that look like switches) in order within i certain amount of time. Once the first switch is hit then you have a certain time limit.

Same thing can be done with boarding the platforms, just the format would be a bit different.

There could be racing stages that involve boarding platforms too. So you have to race to the finish but you have to board a certain amount of platforms or you fail.

There are tones of options to work with just with these two very simple modes. All it takes is level design at that point. Which obviously is not to be underestimated, but it can be done, and it can be fun.

When was the last time you played board the platforms and break the targets? BTT was garbage from brawl and on btw. So you cant use those games as your examples. Its very possible most people havent played BTT in a long time and they just dont remember how promising the modes really are. As a child you cant appreciate those modes at the fullest, and if you werent a child, it was still so long ago that you simply could not really remember/you werent paying attention to anything other than unlocking characters.

Theres way more fun to be had in smash than just vs battles. People have just forgotten that.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Dont you think that add Waluigi is lower the bar for smash characters? He doesnt have a game like his brother Wario (that has a lot of games), or he is not important in any game he is in, he is basically an option in mario tennis games. As I see, he is not important at all and use space of the roster with him is a wasted opportunity of adding a decent character that deserves more. To me the request of Waluigi is just to have a feeling of completion of the team, like even if he doesnt deserves as many other more relevant characters, people want to have him there just because Wario is there, but Wario has far too many reasons to be there. What Waluigi means to games? What is his contributions in memory of players in general? As I see, it's next to nothing....
Waluigi isn't important at all. He's a meme. It'd be cool to have a meme status fighter who literally says "WAAAH" all of the time and fights with a tennis racket. But I agree with you, would rather have more important characters than him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Waluigi isn't important at all. He's a meme. It'd be cool to have a meme status fighter who literally says "WAAAH" all of the time and fights with a tennis racket. But I agree with you, would rather have more important characters than him.
The whole "is a meme" thing is really inaccurate. He became popular for his personality and actions within the stories of the various games he's in.

The meme thing was fan-created. He isn't a meme specifically. It's just something he's also known for.

Meme characters were created as a meme first, like Pepe. Waluigi? He's a unique character with lanky movement, a dastardly personality, loves to cheat, and loves to play sports. He's also willing to easily be crude as much as possible while still being family-friendly enough(he has crotch chops, for cripes' sake). That's who he actually is.

Some people like him for the later memes created. Some likes him for being the unique person he is. Whether he's important or not is pretty irrelevant as is. That's just a silly fan barrier. The fact he's not in is always going to be more than "lol, only in spin-offs". If that was somehow a big deal, he wouldn't even be an AT. Also, being "important" hasn't helped Toad be playable either. It's never that simple. Besides, Piranha Plant is nowhere near an important character and already shows that moveset potential and some stuff that's behind the scenes play way bigger roles. Let's also remember that Sakurai does not own the Smash series itself. As shown by Nintendo choosing the list of DLC fighters(whether they gave Sakurai a list of 5 or more doesn't matter much either), they still have a lot more say than people realize. They could be part of why Waluigi isn't playable. Camelot could simply being saying no. Who knows. If LeakyPanda's information is actually correct, that means some characters people want weren't even considered(like Isaac). That says a lot. Maybe Waluigi was never considered for playable(for unknown reasons) and Sakurai is just acknowledging people like the eccentric guy. Maybe he was considered but he couldn't find a way to make him work well. Maybe, just maybe, higher priority characters got in over him, or easier to make ones. The various Echoes were all easier, and Waluigi's body shape makes him hard to even be a clone(literally the only one who comes kind of close to his bodyshape is freaking Bayonetta). He's not an easy guy to make work as is. This alone could be enough. Fan demand only goes so far, obviously.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The whole "is a meme" thing is really inaccurate. He became popular for his personality and actions within the stories of the various games he's in.

The meme thing was fan-created. He isn't a meme specifically. It's just something he's also known for.

Meme characters were created as a meme first, like Pepe. Waluigi? He's a unique character with lanky movement, a dastardly personality, loves to cheat, and loves to play sports. He's also willing to easily be crude as much as possible while still being family-friendly enough(he has crotch chops, for cripes' sake). That's who he actually is.

Some people like him for the later memes created. Some likes him for being the unique person he is. Whether he's important or not is pretty irrelevant as is. That's just a silly fan barrier. The fact he's not in is always going to be more than "lol, only in spin-offs". If that was somehow a big deal, he wouldn't even be an AT. Also, being "important" hasn't helped Toad be playable either. It's never that simple. Besides, Piranha Plant is nowhere near an important character and already shows that moveset potential and some stuff that's behind the scenes play way bigger roles. Let's also remember that Sakurai does not own the Smash series itself. As shown by Nintendo choosing the list of DLC fighters(whether they gave Sakurai a list of 5 or more doesn't matter much either), they still have a lot more say than people realize. They could be part of why Waluigi isn't playable. Camelot could simply being saying no. Who knows. If LeakyPanda's information is actually correct, that means some characters people want weren't even considered(like Isaac). That says a lot. Maybe Waluigi was never considered for playable(for unknown reasons) and Sakurai is just acknowledging people like the eccentric guy. Maybe he was considered but he couldn't find a way to make him work well. Maybe, just maybe, higher priority characters got in over him, or easier to make ones. The various Echoes were all easier, and Waluigi's body shape makes him hard to even be a clone(literally the only one who comes kind of close to his bodyshape is freaking Bayonetta). He's not an easy guy to make work as is. This alone could be enough. Fan demand only goes so far, obviously.
Meme as in he's popular but clearly spread throughout the internet as an easy way to make memes, thus giving him "meme status" and staining his image. I see your point and agree with it, and I hate the fact that Waluigi is seen this was by members of the community. But at the end of the day, most of the attention Sakurai gets about Waluigi is either meme attention or people protesting his misinclusion, which is probably a big reason why he's not in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Meme as in he's popular but clearly spread throughout the internet as an easy way to make memes, thus giving him "meme status" and staining his image. I see your point and agree with it, and I hate the fact that Waluigi is seen this was by members of the community. But at the end of the day, most of the attention Sakurai gets about Waluigi is either meme attention or people protesting his misinclusion, which is probably a big reason why he's not in.
Yeah, that's not being misincluded either. Him gaining meme status is just more popularity. All it means is people likes who he is now or what they know of him.

And it's not even an issue cause it's just another valid interpretation. People want characters in for different reasons. Even Sakurai has weak reasonings for inclusion. He simply wanted Zero Suit Samus in just to get another Metroid rep. That's... literally it. That's just pure representation for the sake of it. People want that too. Some want a character that has meme-like moves. Especially if it fits the character.

Not that he's an actual meme, but that's beside the point. I've read it all. Some want him in for his unique personality and moveset potential. Some literally want him cause they like his meme status. The thing is? Neither is a wrong reason. It's just different from each other.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah, that's not being misincluded either. Him gaining meme status is just more popularity. All it means is people likes who he is now or what they know of him.

And it's not even an issue cause it's just another valid interpretation. People want characters in for different reasons. Even Sakurai has weak reasonings for inclusion. He simply wanted Zero Suit Samus in just to get another Metroid rep. That's... literally it. That's just pure representation for the sake of it. People want that too. Some want a character that has meme-like moves. Especially if it fits the character.

Not that he's an actual meme, but that's beside the point. I've read it all. Some want him in for his unique personality and moveset potential. Some literally want him cause they like his meme status. The thing is? Neither is a wrong reason. It's just different from each other.
I though ZSS and Sheik were separate slots because of 3DS problems......

aaaAAAAH! If you wanted another Metroid rep Sakurai, why not Ridley? (Being totally Ironic).

I totally want Waluigi in for moveset potential. Someone who uses his long legs to fight, tennis rackets, and driving around in go-karts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I though ZSS and Sheik were separate slots because of 3DS problems......

aaaAAAAH! If you wanted another Metroid rep Sakurai, why not Ridley? (Being totally Ironic).

I totally want Waluigi in for moveset potential. Someone who uses his long legs to fight, tennis rackets, and driving around in go-karts.
ZSS was added in Brawl solely because of being a Metroid rep. I said that poorly.

I want Waluigi for that too, plus the fun stuff he does beyond that. His personality is great~

Top Bottom