• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am really not excited for this game any more - possible spoilers

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I duno about you guys, but I was really hype about Ultimate when it was revealed, but at this point im really underwhelmed. The game was looking like it was really going to be "ultimate" but its just another regular installment of the game when you really look at it. There are really only 3 HUGE character reveals, with the rest being stupid sakurai choices, and now im hearing the square rep is probably gona be a dragon quest rep, and its been talked about for a while that steve is in the game - not banjo. Plus the lack of interesting game modes is a huge issue as well. Why would i get a game with barely any new content?

Seriously without Geno, Isaak and Skull Kid, or Banjo-kazooie in the game, i dont give a crap about other character additions. The rest is all just fluff. Im tired of Sakurai adding garbage characters that are in no way exciting. Im at the point where i might just stick to playing Project M and not bothering with Ultimate at all.

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
I completely understand how you feel. I'd say stay positive cuz of the DLC but it's Nintendo chosen (meaning advertising>hype) and, by the looks of things speculation wise, it's not looking too great.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, I sympathize with you,
buuuuuuut at the same time, my friends are sure as hell not going to go back to PM anymore, so I probably will follow suite to Ultimate.

But hey, hopefully one day modding takes off and we get a PM2

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I completely understand how you feel. I'd say stay positive cuz of the DLC but it's Nintendo chosen (meaning advertising>hype) and, by the looks of things speculation wise, it's not looking too great.
People love to hate that Nintendo is involved in the DLC when it hasn't even been revealed. Give em a chance!

Math Jreeds 1284

Smash Cadet
I really want to, trust me. You can't expect anyone outside looking in to feel like huge things await after Piranha Plant, especially knowing it was Nintendo's decision to include the likes of Corrin as well (which I personally have issue with to this day).

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Welp I know that it's impossible to please everyone so I can accept that though I do suggest you to have your expectations so high with games cause in the end there will be always something missing you really desire.

Myself personally is still very excited for this game, I've enjoyed every installment of Smash and I can see myself being just as satisfied with this one as well with it's sheer amount of content that will keep me happy for years to come.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Banjo isn't associated with Nintendo anymore. People are acting like his absence is surprising but he is on a rival corporation with an American mindset that is ignoring single player games. Banjo should have got in Melee or not at all. It wouldn't be right to me seeing him in after Rare's downfall. Their appeal was good for the time but he isn't a Nintendo character.

It blows my mind people are actually asking for him after his hideous 360 redesign. He has changed too much and MS would ideally want the 360 take on him.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I’m not gonna tell you not to be disappointed but all the character choices have fans. The only out there pick is really PP.

A (kind of) ranked online and some streamlined quality single player modes look good to me.

The good news is Nintendo can continue to support game for a while

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I think a lot of people took the "Ultimate" subtitle too seriously. It's called that because every character is here--which a lot of people seem to be downplaying after the November Direct--along with almost every stage, plus dozens of improvements and quality of life changes. No game like this is ever going to happen again, because it's a monumental amount of work to not only get all that content in, but have the game not be a complete mess. Many games are released in shambles with far less content, and balancing a game like this with 76 different characters and counting is something most other developers are afraid of.

Is it disappointing still that there's not more in the game? Of course. A lot of the smaller side-modes that have been mainstays of the series are seemingly absent, which is disappointing. Even Spirits was less than my reasonable expectations--a simple Adventure Mode like Melee--though they seem to have put a lot of work into the map, if nothing else. But when you look at how much work has gone into the other areas of the game, and that the game is being made in less than three years, it's hard to say that much more could be expected.

Months ago, I posted on the Smash subreddit warning that we wouldn't get an Adventure Mode like SSE, due to how much work that would be. The most popular response was literally "but we ultimate tho" as though the subtitle magically meant that all the practical reasons for why certain things wouldn't happen would just disappear. Some people used the same "reasoning" when the Grinch leak happened and people argued that it was too many characters.

Well, here we are.

Banjo isn't associated with Nintendo anymore. People are acting like his absence is surprising but he is on a rival corporation with an American mindset that is ignoring single player games. Banjo should have got in Melee or not at all. It wouldn't be right to me seeing him in after Rare's downfall. Their appeal was good for the time but he isn't a Nintendo character.

It blows my mind people are actually asking for him after his hideous 360 redesign. He has changed too much and MS would ideally want the 360 take on him.
Banjo's been requested since Melee, as his history is more tied with Nintendo than Microsoft, despite their ownership. Microsoft's head of Xbox has repeatedly said he's on board with letting Banjo join Smash, and that they've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP's before (including Banjo Kazooie). Microsoft and Nintendo also have a good relationship, partnering with each other to allow cross-play between their systems on Minecraft and Fortnite while Sony was holding people's accounts hostage. There were a lot of reasons for people to believe that it would happen or still might happen in DLC.

I don't see why there's any reason to believe that Microsoft would demand Banjo look like the 360 game when every other third party character has their classic appearance. E.g., Simon looks like he does in the NES/SNES games, not like he did in the PS2/Wii games.

Colololin

Smash Cadet
Banjo's been requested since Melee, as his history is more tied with Nintendo than Microsoft, despite their ownership. Microsoft's head of Xbox has repeatedly said he's on board with letting Banjo join Smash, and that they've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP's before (including Banjo Kazooie). Microsoft and Nintendo also have a good relationship, partnering with each other to allow cross-play between their systems on Minecraft and Fortnite while Sony was holding people's accounts hostage. There were a lot of reasons for people to believe that it would happen or still might happen in DLC.

I don't see why there's any reason to believe that Microsoft would demand Banjo look like the 360 game when every other third party character has their classic appearance. E.g., Simon looks like he does in the NES/SNES games, not like he did in the PS2/Wii games.
Banjo's inclusion is entirely based on nostalgia. It doesn't matter if he is historical to Nintendo there are agendas involved here. Yes Phil said that publicly but what happens behind the scenes is a different story.

Microsoft's agenda = Banjo's inclusion only benefits them. If you like Nuts & Bolts that is fine, but most of us consider it trash. Given MS is marketing to a T why wouldn't they want to push modern Banjo above the Banjo the majority are asking for.

Nintendo's agenda = What possible reason would they want to include Banjo for? Nintendo in my eyes operate by the mentality of 'as long as we are doing it, it is fine but when we want it dead you will forget it fanbase. Got that?' Nintendo want to move on from Wii and they don't force you to make Miis anymore to prove it. Nintendo want Rare's legacy with DK buried as much as they dare and they create Tikis and Lord walrus to prove it.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Banjo's inclusion is entirely based on nostalgia. It doesn't matter if he is historical to Nintendo there are agendas involved here. Yes Phil said that publicly but what happens behind the scenes is a different story.

Microsoft's agenda = Banjo's inclusion only benefits them. If you like Nuts & Bolts that is fine, but most of us consider it trash. Given MS is marketing to a T why wouldn't they want to push modern Banjo above the Banjo the majority are asking for.

Nintendo's agenda = What possible reason would they want to include Banjo for? Nintendo in my eyes operate by the mentality of 'as long as we are doing it, it is fine but when we want it dead you will forget it fanbase. Got that?' Nintendo want to move on from Wii and they don't force you to make Miis anymore to prove it. Nintendo want Rare's legacy with DK buried as much as they dare and they create Tikis and Lord walrus to prove it.
K. Rool's inclusion was also entirely based on nostalgia. So are many other characters in Smash, particularly the retro ones.

I didn't know you've worked behind the scenes at both Nintendo and Microsoft and know exactly what their hidden agendas are.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
For me the characters are just right. We should accept that we will NEVER - N-E-V-E-R - have a smash game with all characters we want. Frustration has been present forever, and if you expect this thing to happen, even in a next game of the series, it will just be frustrating again. If it wasn't frustrating, it wouldn't be the release of a Smash Bros game, it's just part of it. We want every character we love on that select screen, but this is never going to happen. I always wanted Toad to be there to complete the Mario team, Dixie Kong to complete the DK Team, more Zelda characters.. Just to feel that I'm seeing every character I care of games I love on that select character screen. But this isn't going to happen, and I think as sooner as we accept that, we will enjoy what they provided with more recognition.

We should also consider that many requested characters may be a bit irrelevant for players in general... Waluigi, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie for example, one doesnt even have a game, and the other is in a very niche game that barely no one knows, and the other is in a dead series. (I know that being old is not a reason to not be in smash, but at the same time... it may be...)

Also, they really need to aim to new generations of players too, that probably don't care about these old characters as much as we do, but maybe they care about Incineroar and the new 5 characters that are coming on DLC, and new kids deserves to have characters from games they are playing today maybe even more than we that have lived with Smash for so long with so many great characters we grow up together.

The decisions about who enters in the game is not ours too. We are not the owner of the game (not in the sense of the copy we will buy). And the development team added all the previous characters from past games, that is already impressive, and then added 7 new characters (ignoring echoes), in which 4 (more than half) are basically the top 4 requested characters (King K Roll, Ridley, Simon and Inkling), and the other 3 are characters that the development team have the right to choose, cause the game is theirs, and it is just fair.

We should also remember, that a character be inserted in the game doesnt translate in you really liking to play with him. You may just not like the gameplay style they implemented for the character. I really wanted Sonic in the previous Smash game, but never liked to play with him. So it's not because a character entered in the roster that you would not be disappointed, but yeah, not having the character removes the chance of you experiment the character you want in the game.

Anyway, if we look to the roster, it is impressive, it is all Smash characters from all previous titles, 7 new characters, 4 of the most requested, 3 unexpected/disappointing, and a lot of Echoes (that are not responsible for we not having new characters, cause the development time for them is just too small in comparison). It also has almost all stages from previous titles with 3 versions of each stage, some new stages with more coming, and many always requested options and gameplay improvements from previous games.

But yeah, I have a problem with the single player content, that I think that the Spirits mode is not the campaign I always wanted. But it looks like a mix of Events mode with some other modes, but it has cutscenes and bosses, like a huge mix of many things Smash games has provided before, being something pretty cool and big in a different way. It's not the side-scrolling-fighing plataformer singleplayer mode I wanted, and I'm disappointed for that, but it doesnt mean it's a mode I will not want to play, I'm really interested on it. And maybe, we can expect an adventure mode in a next game (or maybe comming in some kind of huge DLC). I'm just not really expecting that to not be disappointed, but the game, it has impressive content, the core gameplay will probably be the best, the roster and stages are awesome, and it looks like it will have the best singleplayer content ever, even being different from what I wanted. Maybe they had tried to build a good singleplayer side-scrolling campaign, but it just wanst working and they changed the style to something they felt would be better, instead of release another mediocre Subspace Emissary.

So, I really think we have many reasons to be excited, we just need to be mature and realistic with what the game can provide, what is important, and the focus of the game.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
We've got online options that don't suck. That alone is enough to make me excited as hell for this game. It's taken three installments just to get the ability to play stock matches with items on against randos on the internet without having to slog through looking for people to play with on external sites, scheduling times to play together, and adding them to our friends lists. You'd better believe I'm sticking with this ship whether it sails or sinks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ultimate is just the western name, I hear it's called "Super Smash Bros. Special" in Japan which makes no such massive promises.

The game is more of the Ultimate collection of past Smash games which is why the emphasis was on every vet returning. Personally I didn't mind having a few cuts for more newcomers, but someone's main was getting cut otherwise.

If you are truly disappointed with the roster, then wait to see if the rumours of DLC choices are actually true first and then don't buy it if you're unhappy with the final product.

But you will.

Everyone who complains about the roster every single edition always buys it in the end.

All the disappointed Ridley fans for the past two games bought Brawl and Sm4sh, and Geno fans are still going to buy the game because Smash frankly has the only slight representation of their obscure side character in any modern Nintendo game thanks to the icon and presumably returning Mii outfit. Even the Mario and Luigi Superstar remake removed Geno, so Smash is the only place you'll get even the mildest love for that puppet.

I'm not immune either; I'm a disappointed Toad fan and I've bought every game since 64.
I'm gutted less important Mario characters(Dr. Mario, Daisy, Rosalina, Piranha Plant) keep getting in over a character who has two decent selling games as lead protagonist under his belt, is the third most playable character in the mainline Mario platformer games and had a recent successful title on the Wii U and two ports this year but I'm still going to play as Mii Brawler with the Toad costume and try out Peach's new throws since I love the core gameplay.

The bellyaching cycle will be for naught. Give it time.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Ultimate is just the western name, I hear it's called "Super Smash Bros. Special" in Japan which makes no such massive promises.

The game is more of the Ultimate collection of past Smash games which is why the emphasis was on every vet returning. Personally I didn't mind having a few cuts for more newcomers, but someone's main was getting cut otherwise.

If you are truly disappointed with the roster, then wait to see if the rumours of DLC choices are actually true first and then don't buy it if you're unhappy with the final product.

But you will.

Everyone who complains about the roster every single edition always buys it in the end.

All the disappointed Ridley fans for the past two games bought Brawl and Sm4sh, and Geno fans are still going to buy the game because Smash frankly has the only slight representation of their obscure side character in any modern Nintendo game thanks to the icon and presumably returning Mii outfit. Even the Mario and Luigi Superstar remake removed Geno, so Smash is the only place you'll get even the mildest love for that puppet.

I'm not immune either; I'm a disappointed Toad fan and I've bought every game since 64.
I'm gutted less important Mario characters(Dr. Mario, Daisy, Rosalina, Piranha Plant) keep getting in over a character who has two decent selling games as lead protagonist under his belt, is the third most playable character in the mainline Mario platformer games and had a recent successful title on the Wii U and two ports this year but I'm still going to play as Mii Brawler with the Toad costume and try out Peach's new throws since I love the core gameplay.

The bellyaching cycle will be for naught. Give it time.
I think the next game toad will get his chance

Oddball

Smash Lord
Seriously without Geno, Isaak and Skull Kid, or Banjo-kazooie in the game, i dont give a crap about other character additions.
Fair enough. We all have our preferences.

Also, I found it funny that you're upset how there's only THREE HUGE reveals. Three characters that you're really excited about aren't enough to make you really excited?

D

Deleted member

I will throw my floral hat into the ring and say Ultimate is shaping up to exceed my expectations. It is interesting characters such as :ultpiranha: that does it for me, as well as the eventual revealing of new DLC (hoping and praying for Celica, by the way...) They made me happy by saying they are making the process of unlocking characters quick and painless. Lots of things to be thrilled about. That said, I will be even more ecstatic when I can play the game for myself, which is why I will try my hardest to avoid seeing any gameplay footage of Ultimate (save for that last Direct).

Um, this particular part I do not agree with. I bought all four Smash games and the rosters we have been given makes me completely content.

Not me. I didn't buy Sm4sh, and I won't be buying Ultimate unless something great happens.
Oh, sorry to hear that. No matter what characters are revealed, they are worth my money. You may not know what you are missing. Praying goes a long way, you know...:)

Sayonara :kirby:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Geno and Banjo are pipe dream characters and Skull Kid wasn't a major contender during the ballot nor gained any notable relevancy to make him stand out. All 3 missing out isn't a surprise.

Isaac had a chance but he's still part of a series that has been dead for a decade. K. Rool's parent franchise is still alive and kicking despite his absence at the very least.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not me. I didn't buy Sm4sh, and I won't be buying Ultimate unless something great happens.
You're definitely an outlier, but well done on sticking to your principles.

What would make you buy then?

Um, this particular part I do not agree with. I bought all four Smash games and the rosters we have been given makes me completely content.
I mean obviously if you're content with the roster you'll buy it. I'm saying many, if not most, that complain since *insert desired newcomer here* isn't on the roster will still purchase despite their outrage at the exclusion.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This thread is basically you saying "my most wanteds didn't get in, so I'm salty about the turnout of the game and I'm not going to buy it," which is acting pretty entitled. Entitled and very ungrateful.
This thread is basically you saying "my most wanteds didn't get in, so I'm salty about the turnout of the game and I'm not going to buy it," which is acting pretty entitled. Not ungrateful, just entitled.
Yeah....gonna have to change this. Very ungrateful tbh.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is probably why Nintendo is deciding who the DLC characters are going to be; the company doesn't want to be receiving very stupid requests.

Mimic88

Smash Cadet
I'm in the same boat but will still be buying it. Mostly because I have faith that online play will actually be fun. Plus playing on a switch will be nice.

My hope is that there are still many characters we don't know about. I agree with you about Geno and Banjo. I really wanted them in the game myself.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Sakurai can’t get every fighter everyone wants in. I wanted Waluigi prior to June 12th, but he became an assist trophy. I wanted Shovel Knight prior to August 8th, but she’s also an assist trophy. All on one day, the same treatment was given to Shadow, Issac, and Skull Kid along with the Mii Outfit for Rex deconfirming him.

When characters get deconfirmed like this, there is always a disappointment in the air. I can see why people are disappointed, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t support it still. Every fighter and almost every stage from before is back, and many popular modes are too. We got Inkling, Ridley, King K Rool, Simon, and Ken with more DLC to come. The possibility of seeing Geno is still on the table. Why boycott Ultimate because your most wanted fighter didn’t get in? It’s silly.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It should also be noted that copyright can be a road block as well. With Square Enix being very strict with its property, Geno's chances are not very good; you could always hope that the Geno outfit returns for the Mii Gunner though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Seriously without Geno, Isaak and Skull Kid, or Banjo-kazooie in the game, i dont give a crap about other character additions.
This is major Grinch leak salt. It's acting super entitled to what you wanted, and completely disregards all of the effort they put into the rest of the game. A dozen newcomers, plus seven returning fighters, 3DS and Wii U stages in the same game, over 900 tracks....you gotta be kidding me if you're seriously going to put that all to the side just because a few fighter requests didn't make it.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
I understand your disappointment. Though passing on what looks like such an amazing game just because a couple of your requests didn't get in seems a bit shortsighted. The DLC has yet to be revealed. And have you thought that there are legal/licensing issues in the way of those characters getting in? I have dream characters that didn't make it in either, yet I couldn't be more excited for what the game DOES have.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I duno about you guys, but I was really hype about Ultimate when it was revealed, but at this point im really underwhelmed. The game was looking like it was really going to be "ultimate" but its just another regular installment of the game when you really look at it. There are really only 3 HUGE character reveals, with the rest being stupid sakurai choices, and now im hearing the square rep is probably gona be a dragon quest rep, and its been talked about for a while that steve is in the game - not banjo. Plus the lack of interesting game modes is a huge issue as well. Why would i get a game with barely any new content?

Seriously without Geno, Isaak and Skull Kid, or Banjo-kazooie in the game, i dont give a crap about other character additions. The rest is all just fluff. Im tired of Sakurai adding garbage characters that are in no way exciting. Im at the point where i might just stick to playing Project M and not bothering with Ultimate at all.
Completely relatable.

I'm not legitimately hyped anymore either. The huge selection of third party characters killed it for me. Smash Ultimate is just an attempt at all an "Allstar" to me now. I feel like the game neglects more fan favorites than making them the core focus.

This ** was supposed to be Nintendo.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Bummer for you that your characters didn't get in, but the characters that DID get in, namely K Rool, Ridley, and Simon, are definitely not garbage characters and have been my most wanted additions since melee. Everything else besides them is just fluff, so this game is still Ultimate levels of hype to me.

100% there are many others who feel the same. The only loss for me is Skull Kid, who would have fit in well. Geno and Isaac are borderline obscure characters from dead franchises, so I can't bring myself to care about them at all and can understand why Sakurai wouldn't add them in this day and age.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Banjo is entirely relied upon Microsoft (board of directors and stockholders) not Phil Spencer comments. He could push and be completely turned down behind close doors. Nintendo would then have to decide internally if they wanted to make the deal. Fan-demand would be the only reason why they would entertain the idea. Geno is owned by Square-Enix and has only made any significant appearance on SMRPG. It's entirely possible Square denied Sakurai the right to make Geno a playable character like in Brawl due to them not really benefiting or it could be that he's too niche to prioritized. Square-Enix recently burned 33 Million into the ground so I don't expect them to be cheap either.

Geno, Banjo are not owned by Nintendo. Isaac comes from series that flopped later on and has been dead for quite a long time now. It is sad that he didn't make it in. K. Rool received a large amount of votes in the ballot and still comes from a franchise that is still releasing new games as well so he isn't entirely irrelevant.

I think the main problem is that the characters that are mostly wanted on the Internet tends to be very old characters respectively and caters to a certain Age demographic of people. Honestly; the only character that fate is entirely decided by Nintendo is Isaac. Banjo, Shadow, Geno, Crash, are all third party and thus chances are shaky and Sakurai already stated that it's very taxing to deal with third party characters due to having to travel and due a bunch of presentations as well as updating the companies on everything they do with their character.

Hopefully DLC help remedies that a bit for the fans that feel left out.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
You're definitely an outlier, but well done on sticking to your principles.

What would make you buy then?
If one of my most wanted characters got in, I'd buy it. Other than that, if the game turns out to be really fun to play and watch competitively, I might buy it. If I suddenly get rich, I'll probably buy it.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I have to admit I'm also slightly disappointed in the game in certain ways, but not nearly enough to make me stop buying the game. For me though, the biggest omission that I was really expecting this time around (I don't even fully know why):

- Costumes. When they revealed these new outfits for characters, like builder and wedding Mario, and getting to choose between PoR (Brawl) and RD (Smash 4) Ike, that was enough to convince me that there would be more than 8 costumes per character this time, especially when Fire Mario wasn't even in the E3 demo. Why would they cut such a classic, iconic alternate outfit after all, right? There were several others of these types of costumes revealed as well and altogether it just made me think that, for sure, the standard 8 costumes would be brought up to at least 10 for most, if not all characters. And I was extremely disappointed to learn that this isn't the case. And I know I set myself up for disappointment by expecting something they never said would be included/changed, but they sure made it look like there were more this time around to me.

- Aside from costumes, there were also some other omissions that I didn't quite like. For one, it seems there is no Break the Targets-like mode. I know most of you will mostly just play through it once with everyone, or at least until you unlock everything you can with it and then never look back at it, but I personally enjoyed going back to it occasionally and see if I could beat my old records after having gotten more used to the game's mechanics and all. It's not a huge omission, but it is a mild disappointment.

- There's also the missing trophies. Yes, I know spirits replace them, but I still loved the trophies and collecting them, and I collected all of them in all the games they appeared in, and collecting pieces of artwork just isn't quite the same. I've warmed up to the spirits by now, but still prefer trophies overall, but also understand why they were cut, and spirits allow characters that would likely otherwise never show up in the game to make a small appearance here after all. Still slightly disappointing.

- Newcomer-wise I was a little disappointed that there weren't at least 2 more echoes in the last Smash Direct and that Ken and Incineroar were the last ones to be revealed, but I've come to accept it, and these characters being last doesn't mean all the other characters we already learned about being in the game are suddenly gone, so I'm still really hyped about that.

Overall though, the game looks to be bigger and better than previous Smash games in almost every other aspect, especially the main portion of the game with 70+ characters, and 100+ stages, not to mention the new Smash modes and settings they've tossed in like the Final Smash meter and Stage Morph option. Really, if you're a Smash Bros fan at all and you don't get hyped for this, then frankly I don't know what's wrong with you, but hey, that's your loss. I won't be losing any sleep over it, especially when I get my Smash fix on when the game finally comes out December 7th.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Completely relatable.

I'm not legitimately hyped anymore either. The huge selection of third party characters killed it for me. Smash Ultimate is just an attempt at all an "Allstar" to me now. I feel like the game neglects more fan favorites than making them the core focus.

This ** was supposed to be Nintendo.
Okay, hold the phone. Let's take a look at the Ultimate newcomers thus far.

We have 12:
:ultinkling:Inkling
:ultdaisy:Daisy
:ultridley:Ridley
:ultsimon:Simon
:ultrichter:Richter
:ultchrom:Chrom
:ultdarksamus:Dark Samus
:ultkrool:King K. Rool
:ultisabelle:Isabelle
:ultken:Ken
:ultincineroar:Incineroar
:ultpiranha:Piranha Plant (DLC)

Now, let's separate the "fan-favorite/highly requested" characters:
Inkling, Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus, KKR, and Isabelle.

All these characters are heavily loved by fans, and make up 7/12 of the Ultimate newcomers.

Now let's look at "Nintendo" characters:
Inkling, Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant.

All these characters are part of major Nintendo franchises, and make up about 3/4 of the newcomers.

It should be noted that some of these newcomers have special facts about them, such as Chrom being the first FE character since Marth to not be from the most recent FE game, and KKR making his first appearance in 10 years.

Anyway, this leaves us with Simon, Richter, and Ken

That said, Simon Belmont has always been closely associated with olden days NES Nintendo, just like Megaman, so it's not like he's some out of left field 3rd Party choice. He makes sense.

So in terms of 3rd party guests with no super strong relation to Nintendo, we've got Richter and Ken.

1/6 of the newcomers.

I don't understand how you can say that the game "neglects fan favorites" when they make up more than 50% of the new roster.

And how you can say that "This **** was supposed to be Nintendo" when it clearly still is.

You're allowed to be disappointed in the game, but these statements are definitely not true.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Okay, hold the phone. Let's take a look at the Ultimate newcomers thus far.

We have 12:
:ultinkling:Inkling
:ultdaisy:Daisy
:ultridley:Ridley
:ultsimon:Simon
:ultrichter:Richter
:ultchrom:Chrom
:ultdarksamus:Dark Samus
:ultkrool:King K. Rool
:ultisabelle:Isabelle
:ultken:Ken
:ultincineroar:Incineroar
:ultpiranha:Piranha Plant (DLC)

Now, let's separate the "fan-favorite/highly requested" characters:
Inkling, Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus, KKR, and Isabelle.

All these characters are heavily loved by fans, and make up 7/12 of the Ultimate newcomers.

Now let's look at "Nintendo" characters:
Inkling, Daisy, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant.

All these characters are part of major Nintendo franchises, and make up about 3/4 of the newcomers.

It should be noted that some of these newcomers have special facts about them, such as Chrom being the first FE character since Marth to not be from the most recent FE game, and KKR making his first appearance in 10 years.

Anyway, this leaves us with Simon, Richter, and Ken

That said, Simon Belmont has always been closely associated with olden days NES Nintendo, just like Megaman, so it's not like he's some out of left field 3rd Party choice. He makes sense.

So in terms of 3rd party guests with no super strong relation to Nintendo, we've got Richter and Ken.

1/6 of the newcomers.

I don't understand how you can say that the game "neglects fan favorites" when they make up more than 50% of the new roster.

And how you can say that "This **** was supposed to be Nintendo" when it clearly still is.

You're allowed to be disappointed in the game, but these statements are definitely not true.
Ken even has about as much as Ryu. In fact, wasn't Violent Ken something made specifically for that SF (I forget the exact one) remake for Switch? Not to mention how popular SFIII was for SNES.

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't know man. We already have 76 characters with more on the way yet to be confirmed. A year ago, any Smash fan would've told you that such an amount would have been completely impossible. I understand some degree of dissapointment over your most requested character being missing (believe me, I've been a huge Isaac supporter since 2006). But to be dissapointed at this point of the game as a whole and acting as if every other character is worthless just because of that just makes me think of little Dudley Dursley being furious about getting only 36 presents on his birthday.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
I am incredibly disappointed at anyone's disappointment. This game is Ultimate. Bringing back every past character (LOL THREE LINKS) was a feat all its own. Sakurai goes on to say "please don't expect too many new fighters"... and gives us a bunch of new characters (5 more on the way). Over 100 stages. Like egads... If you're disappointed, frankly you're insatiable. Upset you didn't get the characters you wanted? Do you realize that satisfying everyone equally is literally impossible?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As much as I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with you about not being excited for Smash just because your characters did not make it in.

Sure, I have some characters that I would like to see and even though I am disappointed not see some of my wanted characters on the base, but that does not deter my excitement for the game since there are almost 70+ characters in the game which they took the effort to bring all the characters who were left out in previous games, back into Ultimate.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
As much as I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with you about not being excited for Smash just because your characters did not make it in.

Sure, I have some characters that I would like to see and even though I am disappointed not see some of my wanted characters on the base, that does not deter my excitement for the game since there are almost 70+ characters in the game which they took the effort to bring all the characters who were left out in previous games, back into Ultimate.
Agreed. Also, half the magic of Smash is that it somehow gets me excited for all character announcements even if I have no emotional attachment to that character or the character's past games. For example, even if you've never played Castlevania before, having Simon in the roster gives you yet another interesting and varied opponent. I can't stand Ness... but I love having him in the game; he makes a good target. :p

Smash is life. Smash is amazing.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I get being mildly disappointed at your hopefuls not making it, but the self-centeredness required to confidently call the picks that did make it garbage Sakurai picks is pretty baffling to me. Like, just because you aren't hyped about XYZ characters, you surely have to be at least somewhat aware that your disappointment is not objective or universally shared.

Top Bottom