• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am not totally sure about DI with Luigi

Andrew Imecs

Smash Rookie
I have seen many videos and tutorials and also many threads in regards to DI in general. I know it all depends on what attack it is or even how floaty your character is. I have been playing smash for awhile and I did not think DI was too important until I realized all the pros use it and it helps them survive and get out of combos.

I know the main DI is survival and combo. But I need some help on DI because sometimes it makes no sense to me but sometimes it does. I will also categorize what I have trouble with so I can nail how the DI really work. One thing i would like to debunk is tapping your control stick and c stick a certain direction once you get hit. Do you have to do this as soon as you get hit, before, or after? Also when is the right instance to use c stick and control stick. Everything is confusing me and I just want to mastrer DI with Luigi because I always get screwed in combos.

Fox: I know fox's shine shoots you left or right depending on where you are on the stage but I know DI can help you change your direction slightly so he can't chain his shine. I was told to move your control stick and c stick the opposite direction you want to go in. So if fox is shining you to the left then hold your c stick and control stick to the right to escape that shine trap. Is this true?

Falco: His shine sends you upwards and sets up easy down air combos for him as well as a follow up with a shine and another down air if you do not DI for example. Holding your control stick and c stick left or right or even diagonally downwards left or right will help you either drift left or right or teching far left or right. Is this true?

Captain falcon: His down throw sets you up to be tossed in the air at a good percentage and then can you either set up a knee, up air, or even down air. Once you are thrown holding the control stick and c stick left or right will drift you left or right and help escape the dreadful captain falcon knee combos? Also standing neutral on a platform or on stage and captain falcon ends up landing a down air on you, will holding your control stick and c stick left or right help you go left or right instead of straight up? Is this true?

Marth: Known for any aerial attack and f smash for range. Overall a character that has an excellent amount for range and is a nightmare for Luigi's ( or at least for me). Left and right air at low percentages don'st send you far but set up easy combos with marth especially when you are in the air. Holding the control stick and c stick left or right will help avoid these combos as well as his up throws and up airs? Is this true?

I know about DI but just looking from many standpoints on posts, there is not really an explanation on how to DI certain attacks for certain characters like Luigi. If this can be clarified not only will it help me out it can help any person trying to master Luigi's DI.

Any kind of help for survival DI and Combo Di would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know when to incorporate the c stick or if even if I have to. I am just trying to nail all the benefits of the DI and how exactly to use them.

THNAKS GUYSSSSSS and of course feel free to add anything to this including extra DI's for other characters like Sheik or Peach or Jiggly Puff.

Top Bottom