• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I am having issues with QAC

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here find it hard to do pikachu tech in this game? Sometimes, when I do QAC wavelanding or AQC bairing, I sometimes miss and get punished. Other times, it often leads me to flubing a side b instead (though sometimes it catches my opponents off guard when they autopilot). Does anyone else have this issue, or am I just still having noob issues when it comes to tech skill? I just started wavelanding/wavedashing out of QAC 3 days ago.

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
You just gotta keep practicing it, it took me a few weeks to be able to subconsciously qac where ever I wanted. Now I'm able to attack out of it on reaction and ledge cancel the second one.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
You just gotta keep practicing it, it took me a few weeks to be able to subconsciously qac where ever I wanted. Now I'm able to attack out of it on reaction and ledge cancel the second one.
ledge cancel? What the best strategy when going for it? Like for example, when I want to grab ledge from onstage on battlefield, I stand on one of the small blue circles for the best angle not to SD with. What part of battlefield would be best to ledge cancel on, and would this work in melee?

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
ledge cancel? What the best strategy when going for it? Like for example, when I want to grab ledge from onstage on battlefield, I stand on one of the small blue circles for the best angle not to SD with. What part of battlefield would be best to ledge cancel on, and would this work in melee?
I dunno if it works in melee I don't play that, but I usually ledge cancel from off stage. You can do some on stage stuff too, just to help with movement.

Just focus on the distance it would take for two quick attacks to reach the ledge. It doesn't have to be exactly perfect, but pretty close. You slide just a smidge, so use that to your advantage when trying to ledge cancel.

Also can you tell me if that image shows up I don't use smash ladder very much and it doesn't seem to be working. http://imgur.com/BPWJ646

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
No, it isn't working. Unfortunetley melee pikachu's ledge cancels don't include the ones you showed me. This is because pikachu has no inertia upon landing at all in melee. It's actually frusterating because I would need to tell myself there's differences between melee pikachu and pm pikachu and that I need to be careful when playing as him. But if Axe and Anther can do it, so can I.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
One thing to keep in mind is that the length of the Quick Attack zip changes if you tilt vs smash the control stick for your directional input. It's only about a character length, but it might be enough that it could cause problems.

Other than that can you describe your problem more specifically? Are you missing the cancel (and then going into massive landing lag)?

Yambotico

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if doing grounded qac across the stage is faster than pikachu's run?

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
I actually tested QAC Vs Running, and it turned out that running is actually slightly faster.

For running across a set distance on stage, the difference between running and two consecutive QACs was very small, less than 10 frames apart in my testing.

However, for attacking out of QAC, i.e QAC > Waveland > Usmash, the gap is wider, mainly due to the amount of time you can't act during a waveland. A simple run up Usmash, for example, is quite a bit faster than QAC > Waveland > Usmash.

This might seem odd, because if you've used things like QAC > Usmash before, you know that people often simply fail to react to it at all, when they probably would have reacted to you just running up, right?

It's because most of the time QAC actually takes is in the initial startup of Quick Attack, before Pikachu begins moving. If you take the startup out of the equation and just look at his travel speed, it's far superior to running. The reason people get surprised by QAC approaches is because they are looking for movement/are unfamiliar with Pikachu, and don't notice that you have started Quick Attack until Pikachu begins to move, by which time the startup lag is already over. By that time it's too late and they're punished for not noticing the startup by having far less time to react.

So yeah, run or multi-QAC across the stage as you will. The difference is pretty minor. That said, in practice QAC'ing across the stage to quickly get to an opponent has one significant advantage over running, and that is that you can start doing it from the air. Pikachu has a pretty bad horizontal airspeed and middling fallspeed, so if you're in the air just after hitting an opponent, it's often faster to QAC to the ground and then go into another QAC from that one to catch up to them rather than waiting for Pikachu to land so that you can start running.

Last edited:

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
Another cool thing to note with quick attack is that fair is actually not useless out of it. It auto cancels, and allows you to act even faster than a waveland.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
How many frames is a waveland again? I was under the impression it was 10 frames, so since QAC Fair-> autocancel is 8 frames hang time and 4 frames of landing lag you'd have to fast fall to be faster. I could just be making up numbers though.

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
How many frames is a waveland again? I was under the impression it was 10 frames, so since QAC Fair-> autocancel is 8 frames hang time and 4 frames of landing lag you'd have to fast fall to be faster. I could just be making up numbers though.
I believe your correct on waveland being 10 frames, I am able to act out of qac fair on frame 6 or 7 though. I'll test it again just to make sure.

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
So after some more testing, I did full quick attacks into the ground, one with wavelanding and one with fair autocancel, and the autocancel took 29 frames to complete, while the waveland took 32. I am near positive fairing out of quick attack is the fastest way to act out of it.

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
I hadn't tested Fair but have always felt it was faster than wavelanding. Problem is that imo without the additional waveland distance, QAC's effective range is just too short, now that it's limited to one zip. The additional distance the waveland gives is well worth a couple more frames of lag.

Last edited:

Capitulize

Smash Rookie
I hadn't tested Fair but have always felt it was faster than wavelanding. Problem is that imo without the additional waveland distance, QAC's effective range is just too short, now that it's limited to one zip. The additional distance the waveland gives is well worth a couple more frames of lag.
Depends on the use of quick attack at the time. Hitting someone directly with quick attack and cancelling it with a fair leads to a free upsmash if it's not crouch cancelled and above 60 to 70 percent.

Top Bottom