• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice I am bad for a multiple reasons, see if you can help me on one or two of them.

jJOEe

Smash Rookie
Firstly I am abysmal at ledge trapping despite Wolf and Chrom being two of the characters I play the most I basically can never keep anyone at ledge at all. People say jump, standard getup, roll and getup attack you can all react too, but I don't really think I can react to it. Also I don't understand how to pressure ledge so they don't stay there too long and properly protect from getup attack at the same time. I can only ever really ledge trap people when I make a big read instead of a reaction. I don't think I have ever punished dropping down from ledge and jumping back on to stage with an option that eludes me.

Secondly I suck at neutral. This is very vague so I will be more specific, I find it really hard to be the person to land the hit in neutral first, often when I am win it is not because I winning neutral more, but because I am better in advantage state and get edge-guards or something. I really struggle with people just dashing in and out am I am not sure why, people say dash dancing is not that good in this game, and I have no reason to not believe them but I massively struggle against characters that do it, such as Captain Falcon (even though he is also dog****). This issues seems like super vague and i don't think there is a good answer to it but basically what tips for just being in neutral can you guys give. I never know when in neutral what I should be looking for or what I really want so I normally default to spamming short hop of one or two aerials which obviously does not work against actually competent players. And I never know how to deal with they are doing, in smash you have so many options I don't understand how you are expected to predict when you opponent will do anyone of them if they are not reactable. ANY IDEAS?

Thirdly this one is much more specific but I am terrible against moves that just launch forward at you, normally with priority: Raptor Boost, Inkling's Roller, whatever Banjo's side B is called, Terry's charge thing all those kind of moves. **** like Flare Blitz not so much for whatever reason. But basically when I am playing against Inkling for example at high% I have no idea how to play neutral vs her just because of roller. I get that it is SUPER unsafe on shield but the problem I find is is that because I cannot react to it I am always just camping in shield or dashing in then shielding, but obviously they realise this and just start grabbing me and then I feel like I have no idea what to do. Also sometimes when I am dashing in they will roller and as you cannot shield during the initial dash I get ****ed. Banjo, Inkling and Terry's are the worst for me by far I get ****ed by that move so much and I feel like I have no idea what to do against it even if I am punishing it occasionally.

Fourth nothing in this game seems like it has any lag why are all aerials so lagless it makes the game feel like nothing is whiff punishable and super bad, but this makes a new underlying problem for me where I don't know how to deal with lagless moves when they are just being mashed out or when someone is just mashing safe options on your shield for days.

I suck vs DDD gordo when he hits it out slow and approaches with it, like what do you do against it please help me I am possibly the worst player at the DDD match up ever to walk the earth. Is the answer to dealing with half the gimmick cast in the game just to camp them?

There were way way more reasons but I have unfortunately forgotten them while trying to write everything down. I know a lot of this just comes down to me needing to improve and I know that there is not a single secret answer someone can give me that will suddenly make me a ledge trapping and neutral god and improving takes a long time, but I feel right now like I am not improving at all because I am missing some key element, or I am just misunderstanding something fundamental. It seems so overwhelming I am just lost. This is my first smash game btw if you were wondering.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR POINTERS YOU CAN GIVE ME

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'm not very good at advice and I'm no pro but I can try to help. When someone does an arial that you can't punish you just have to the punish what ever they do next, which is usually just a jab or tilt. A lot of smash is patience and expirience/ knowing what you can punish. You have to look for openings where you can

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'd be happy to play a few games with you and tell you what I'm thinking

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'm not the best, I get 0-2ed at locals but my highest gsp is 5,864,000 and I have elite with everyone and I beat all my friends

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Don't always approach with shield try to think about what they think your going to do and mix it up

Top Bottom