Hyrule Legality SBR Poll

What should be the status of Hyrule in the standard ruleset?

• Total voters
I was actually slightly persuaded by the timer thread. Although funnily enough, not by the arguments of others, but me thinking myself into seeing the possible harm Hyrule can have (the subject of the timer and the issue of neither opponent approaching led to this). I decided I still want to see more evidence, though.

The one thing I'm more certain about is that it should probably be neutral or banned, not a counterpick.

I've been on the fence between counterpick and banned for awhile but I'm leaning towards banned. Competitively it's just a terrible stage for many reasons and it's also a big outlier in the stage list in terms of both size and terrain. However, I think the stage is fine in doubles (as well as Saffron, which we made legal for Apex doubles).

People can always agree on Hyrule if they really want to play there but nobody should ever be forced to play there and deal with extreme tent camping. Banning Hyrule would also solve the timer problem since I really doubt there's a need for a timer on any other legal stage.

In that case, banning Hyrule and introducing the Gentleman's Rule might be an appropriate compromise (both players agree to play there, then they can play there), but only if it won't hold up the tournament.

While this has everybody's attention, is there any opinion on the addition of a timer (logistics aside)? I no longer think it's necessary with the current state of the game.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Dealing with tent campers on hyrule is ********.

So is playing a gimpy Pikachu with Fox on dreamland.

Banning hyrule is dumb. Yes, let's avoid camping and ban hyrule, but let dreamland stay where characters like Link and Fox are dead if they get touched once.

There's no perfect stage in this game. Banning hyrule accomplishes nothing.

Banning Hyrule =/= Dreamland solo neutral

Kongo solo neutral, or even replacing Dreamland with Peach's (where Link is more viable, and Fox is viable regardless of Hyrule status)

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Dealing with tent campers on hyrule is ********.

So is playing a gimpy Pikachu with Fox on dreamland.

Banning hyrule is dumb. Yes, let's avoid camping and ban hyrule, but let dreamland stay where characters like Link and Fox are dead if they get touched once.

There's no perfect stage in this game. Banning hyrule accomplishes nothing.
Not my fault you have beef with pikachu.

How is banning Hyrule dumb? Hyrule is just a horrible stage competitively. It has random tornados(LOLFAIR), circle camping, camping/stalling, and not really a means to approach without being obvious.

We need to know what stage is "perfect" in your case then. I feel as if the best kind of stage to fight on is where you get to focus more on your opponent than having difficulty navigating terrain to catch your opponent.

@ aa, Peach's Castle is too gimmicky for a starter.

i want to phase out the CP system as well, tbh, a lot of what people said got through to me and im doubting whether 64 needs CPs at all

but i don't want to get rid of peach's

we could do something like congo neutral and DL/peach's counterpick (with gentleman's rule for hyrule and hyrule alone)

again, we can't ban pika unless we ban ness, and banning ness will probably cause explosions

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I hope you're not insinuating that Fox is unviable on Dreamland.

... are dead if they get touched once.
You're playing SMASH ****ING 64!

When are people going to understand that the game IS that stupid and that Hyrule is nothing more but a perversion of it?

Mahie

Smash Lord
I have to agree with the others. I wouldn't play Fox in an Hyrule deprived tournament, not because I can't camp, but because winning on DL is too much of a hassle in certain MUs like Pikachu.

I don't think CP/Neutral changes much tbh. You can just ban it in the stage striking anyway, so you probably won't play on it unless you're being CP'd there.

I feel like banning it completely makes Pikachu even stronger though, and I really don't like that either.

In short : I don't know where I stand. I'd say keep it like it is.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You're playing SMASH ****ING 64!
Haha the "ban hyrule" people are pretty heated over this.

You're acting as if I'm whining that Fox isn't great on Dreamland or something. Nahhh, I play on dreamland like 99% of the time with Fox. I enjoy the challenge of not getting hit off the stage.

But it's lame if a fox wouldn't even have the option to counterpick a pikachu to hyrule. Mad lame.

Not my fault you have beef with pikachu.
And it's not my fault you have beef with hyrule.

Besides it's usually not the stage that makes matches gay anyway. It's the player. Malva literally stays above me the whole match vs my Yoshi on dreamland. Same with Surri. Yoshi can't approach characters above him. Jaime doesn't do the stay above me thing but he just never approaches period. Again this is all on dreamland.

Stages don't make matches gay. People do.

oh god, if nice, amiable funk became angry poster leffen then i would not know to laugh or weep

Besides it's usually not the stage that makes matches gay anyway. It's the player. Malva literally stays above me the whole match vs my Yoshi on dreamland. Same with Surri. Yoshi can't approach characters above him. Jaime doesn't do the stay above me thing but he just never approaches period. Again this is all on dreamland.

Stages don't make matches gay. People do.
i considered using this argument in the thread but since we were playing super theory bros it would have been thrown back in my face :(

it's quite convincing with some namedrops though