• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hydropivot Tips?

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
I've been in the lab for a couple hours now and I don't feel any closer to mastering hydropivot. Can any of you Squirtmen offer me some tips to make it easier? Or do I just have to git gud?

Already watched Daftatt's very helpful guide (and Wombat's potentially less helpful guide), but I just can't seem to slide more than a few feet, no matter how much I try to vary my timing.

Help?

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
set L to attack
hold L
flick cstick down while ssing till you hydropivot

repeat

you have learned hydropivot

Edit: if you know how to hydroplane dsmash with the cstick its the same timing as that

Last edited:

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
set L to attack
hold L
flick cstick down while ssing till you hydropivot

repeat

you have learned hydropivot

Edit: if you know how to hydroplane dsmash with the cstick its the same timing as that
I thought that method was more of a hassle than it was worth?

Jamwa

Smash Champion
either learn the c-stick angle u hav to hit w/o holding a, or learn the vanilla method

or learn hydrocrawl

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
How is it a hassle? Unless you already use the L button for something it makes it super easy
I dunno I just remember a buncha people saying I'd be better off just learning how to pivot the vanilla way.

either learn the c-stick angle u hav to hit w/o holding a, or learn the vanilla method

or learn hydrocrawl
What's the angle without holding a?

Also I feel like if I can't hydropivot I'm prolly not gonna be able to hydrocrawl lol

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
True, but it's probably the next major tech I should learn as Squirtle, and I want more mixups as my approach game has gotten kinda stagnant.
I would argue that every squirtle player should first make sure they have a near-total mastery of different ways you can utilize wavedashing before ever trying to get good with hydropivoting.

In squirtle's movement patterns, every frame of the shellshift animation can be jumpcancelled, which means it can be wavedashed out of. If you wavedash out of the first frame of shellshift you'll do what's called a wavesling, where the 4 frames of jumsquat boost squirtle a significant distance (in only 4 frames, it looks crazy) before the wavedash, and the distance can be contrary to the wavedash as well as the same direction, allowing for some insanely difficult to follow reversals of direction.

Perfect wavedashes with inputs on the first frame of stand wait can be pretty much as useful as hydroplaned moves, especially when considering it takes 14 frames (as opposed to 15-20 to get to the correct frame in SS to hydropivot) with jumpquat(4) and landing(10) to begin a move while still sliding very fast.

Wavedash f-tilt is one of squirtle's best approaches, and can be angled down to try and force knockdowns to start tech chases.

Wavedash jab is extremely effective at jab-resetting due to it's massive threat range, pretty much any missed tech on the main stage can be reached in time to reset with this.

Mr. Fabulous

Smash Cadet
I would argue that every squirtle player should first make sure they have a near-total mastery of different ways you can utilize wavedashing before ever trying to get good with hydropivoting.

In squirtle's movement patterns, every frame of the shellshift animation can be jumpcancelled, which means it can be wavedashed out of. If you wavedash out of the first frame of shellshift you'll do what's called a wavesling, where the 4 frames of jumsquat boost squirtle a significant distance (in only 4 frames, it looks crazy) before the wavedash, and the distance can be contrary to the wavedash as well as the same direction, allowing for some insanely difficult to follow reversals of direction.

Perfect wavedashes with inputs on the first frame of stand wait can be pretty much as useful as hydroplaned moves, especially when considering it takes 14 frames (as opposed to 15-20 to get to the correct frame in SS to hydropivot) with jumpquat(4) and landing(10) to begin a move while still sliding very fast.

Wavedash f-tilt is one of squirtle's best approaches, and can be angled down to try and force knockdowns to start tech chases.

Wavedash jab is extremely effective at jab-resetting due to it's massive threat range, pretty much any missed tech on the main stage can be reached in time to reset with this.
Hm, those are all good points. My wavedashing is pretty solid IMO and I can wavesling consistenly (I can do pretty much everything on your Squirtle tech tree consistently except for hydrocrawl/hydropivot and beyond). That being said, I do probably need to work more on getting the timing down on my attacks. I guess I'll continue to lab my wavedashing up and work on hydropivot on the side.

Thanks Daft! As usual, you continue to be the hero of aspiring Squirts everywhere.

Top Bottom