• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hybrid Air Dodge (HAD) *Thread is CLOSED!-- For Ever*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I still wonder what could develop of Luigi's very long/slow WD for block strings.

kupo15

Smash Hero
For mixup purposes you have to be close. I wouldn't really see much a problem with it being situational on turtling opponents.

Back to FF canceling jumps that might actually break the game, but it sounds like a ton of fun! I'm just imagining some Hokuto no Ken stuff like doing an unblockable into a juggle combo into a foostool jump on the opponent to put them into the ground and hitting them on the way down into another set up or something along those lines. That would be so much fun! I think retaining horizontal speed with the FF would be what would make the WD happen.

I'd love to test that. Otherwise I still like a single directional dodge but I don't see much to argue it for at this point if the functions of FF canceling and horizontal movement were that cool.
So your ok with having something to mix up with in situational close up situations despite the harm it does to the game?

I just noticed this thread has "FAQ" in thee title.....what? Why?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Yes, which is why I'm going to repost this again until it gets noticed by orca.

I believe this thread is against the best interests of brawl+ in its current condition. I advise orca to take down the first post before this gets any more out of hand before we've actually reached a conclusion. This thread currently makes it look like the brawl+ project supports HAD's inclusion into brawl+ in its entirety, and that is simply not true. Any official posts on this matter need to keep a stance of neutrality. The argument that changing the airdodge system could scare away potential players is still a very valid one, and while it is ok if we don't agree about HAD's inclusion into brawl+, we can't have it look like a code that is currently still in debate is officially supported. Therefore, I am requesting that orca repost the first post as a separate post in this thread, and takes it down from the OP in favor of strict neutrality, in addition to renaming the thread into a proper title for a debate.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
So your ok with having something to mix up with in situational close up situations despite the harm it does to the game?

We're talking about the jab lock thing out of air footstool jump?

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I'd try it if it looked fun. I'm already having a pretty good time though. Brawl+ already feels like a fast, deep, interesting game. Adding huge changes like MAD seems excessive. Plus, I have deeply repressed memories of falling off the edge to my death after airdodging carelessly, and I'm quite fond of keeping the buffer system as it is.

There is another force at work that you should be aware of, that will undermine your efforts to get MAD or HAD into Brawl+. Public perception. The competitive community of Smash would not look very good if Brawl+ wound up having wavedashing in it. It would be perceived as a weak attempt to keep the competitive metagame the same without having to learn anything new. Regardless of the validity of that, that's how it would be perceived.
Most people I know interested in Brawl+ were interested mainly for the fact it could be closer to Melee. Anyone whos seen Brawl at a high level of play can see the new airdodge is really dominant(Unless you play certain characters like Snake and ROB where you might have to be a little more careful). So I don't think Brawl players would mind getting rid of it either.

If there really needs to be vids I can try, but I won't be bringing Brawl+ to another tourney until a month from now. Other than that there is wifi and of course with desyncs and lag wavedashing isn't really priority there.

BEES

Smash Lord
Back to FF canceling jumps that might actually break the game, but it sounds like a ton of fun! I'm just imagining some Hokuto no Ken stuff like doing an unblockable into a juggle combo into a foostool jump on the opponent to put them into the ground and hitting them on the way down into another set up or something along those lines. That would be so much fun! I think retaining horizontal speed with the FF would be what would make the WD happen.

I'd love to test that. Otherwise I still like a single directional dodge but I don't see much to argue it for at this point if the functions of FF canceling and horizontal movement were that cool.
Thanks! I'm glad someone else sees the potential. I'm up for trying this stuff and seeing what works.

storm92

Smash Ace
Yes, which is why I'm going to repost this again until it gets noticed by orca.

I believe this thread is against the best interests of brawl+ in its current condition. I advise orca to take down the first post before this gets any more out of hand before we've actually reached a conclusion. This thread currently makes it look like the brawl+ project supports HAD's inclusion into brawl+ in its entirety, and that is simply not true. Any official posts on this matter need to keep a stance of neutrality. The argument that changing the airdodge system could scare away potential players is still a very valid one, and while it is ok if we don't agree about HAD's inclusion into brawl+, we can't have it look like a code that is currently still in debate is officially supported. Therefore, I am requesting that orca repost the first post as a separate post in this thread, and takes it down from the OP in favor of strict neutrality, in addition to renaming the thread into a proper title for a debate.
Me as well.:(

BEES

Smash Lord
Most people I know interested in Brawl+ were interested mainly for the fact it could be closer to Melee. Anyone whos seen Brawl at a high level of play can see the new airdodge is really dominant(Unless you play certain characters like Snake and ROB where you might have to be a little more careful). So I don't think Brawl players would mind getting rid of it either.
Seems about half and half from what I've seen.

-Brawlers who were tired of Melee but got tired of Brawl early on due to the hitstun and 'floatyness'
-Melee players who knew they were never even going to touch the game when they heard wavedashing and L-canceling were out.

There's a significant chunk of Brawl players that hang on to Brawl to this day, despite its faults, merely because it is not Melee. This is a pretty large group that would probably love Brawl+, but would be reluctant to try it if it looked like Melee 2.0 from afar.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
No the jab locking is not the harm I am referring to
What are you referring to? It's not what I am referring to where you jump on somebody's head that is block and do a quick move/moves on them from the stun is it?

BEES

Smash Lord
FF Canceling would certainly make for a lot of infinites lol.
FF canceling would be limited to a certain window of the jump. Say, halfway to the highest point of the jump. You couldn't spam aerials on the floor with this; the effective height of the short hop would be limited to half its normal Brawl height (which is what we already have it set to).

This would essentially replace the short hop height reduction, and increase the options out of a full hop.

FF cancel is also a bit of a misnomer. It would be a normal speed fall. You'd have to press down again for a fastfall.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Seems about half and half from what I've seen.

-Brawlers who were tired of Melee but got tired of Brawl early on due to the hitstun and 'floatyness'
-Melee players who knew they were never even going to touch the game when they heard wavedashing and L-canceling were out.

There's a significant chunk of Brawl players that hang on to Brawl to this day, despite its faults, merely because it is not Melee. This is a pretty large group that would probably love Brawl+, but would be reluctant to try it if it looked like Melee 2.0 from afar.
Well to me I've always liked Brawl, and even though theres no hitstun i still find ways to "combo" well enough so having easier follow-ups doesn't make Brawl+ much more fun to me. Even in Melee there weren't that many true combos. There were good follow-ups into kill moves and thats what Brawl+ is adding now. (Which changes the metagame completely compared to Brawl, and like I said I already like Brawl the way it is) If thats all Brawl+ is doing I'd get bored pretty fast.

But with MAD Brawl+ has the potential to combine elements from all 3 smash games. The hitstun and comboability of 64, the shffling, techchasing, and jab/wavedash mix-ups of Melee, and the easier controls, floatier physics(So that shffling isn't the main way to combo) and defensive buffs of Brawl. (Which MAD Doesn't take away just makes it take more skill to utilize)

If people are really turned off by Brawl+ because of this I wouldn't think they've ever liked anything about a Smash game at all. I'll try and get good videos up I guess, because MAD really is more than just slippery Brawl.

shanus

Smash Hero
Orca please take this post down. It is damaging to Brawl+'s image and does not deserve the title of FAQ. Please remove the post or request it closed.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
Don't listen to them, sticky it. It's vital for the community!

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Don't take it down. Just make a disclaimer at the top of the post that it is not generally accepted by the Brawl+ community.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
And....

When you say things like this, it makes me think HADers are just trolls...

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Lol this seems so silly.

"I want you to be open to this new idea, just know it'll never really fly."

storm92

Smash Ace
this is the worst thing to happen to brawl+
Yes it is Jiang, yes it is.

leafgreen386 said:
Yep.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Somebody PM A mod and have this closed or the title changed this thread is really ridiculous. You have people who don't what they are talking about giving BS reasons why we should add a completely new mechanic to Brawl+, just because they like it, and ignoring the plentiful reasons it is bad. not to mention the whole thing was argued to death before anyway.

By calling this a FAQ, people think it's some sort of official thing. Akin to the "What is Brawl+?" FAQ. This is misleading, and damaging to Brawl+'s image. about 1/4 or less of B+ers are in favor of any form of MAD, and about half of these don't know what they're talking about, and are trying to find excuses for HAD by giving BS reasons that are not necessary, and ignoring its flaws.

Again, somebody get this taken down, or un-misleading-ified

PS. I'm an avid Melee-supporter and I love Brawl+ the way it is, any form of MAD is an unneeded, drastic change from B+ that will put off potential players. It's so unnecessary it's not even funny, and if Brawl+ isn't fun to you without this gimmick, then you must not know anything about Smash

Dan_X

Smash Lord
And....

You know, it's funny. You're really making it easy for everyone to identify you as a troll. You and anyone else who continues to spam this paragraph *cough* Storm for one.

Perhaps you were under the assumption that I live on these boards, much like yourself, when in fact I've quite busy. Just because I don't respond to your post IMMEDIATELY, and bend to your every command doesn't mean I won't respond later, after I've actually read the thread. You are creating a TERRIBLE image for all of those against HAD in that yes, you guys are coming across as trollish. Sorry if this is the case, perhaps you should think before you do. BTW, I will not do exactly as you demand...

Have a nice day-- and please don't spam.

Somebody PM A mod and have this closed or the title changed this thread is really ridiculous. You have people who don't what they are talking about giving BS reasons why we should add a completely new mechanic to Brawl+, just because they like it, and ignoring the plentiful reasons it is bad. not to mention the whole thing was argued to death before anyway.

By calling this a FAQ, people think it's some sort of official thing. Akin to the "What is Brawl+?" FAQ. This is misleading, and damaging to Brawl+'s image. about 1/4 or less of B+ers are in favor of any form of MAD, and about half of these don't know what they're talking about, and are trying to find excuses for HAD by giving BS reasons that are not necessary, and ignoring its flaws.

PS. I'm an avid Melee-supporter and I love Brawl+ the way it is, any form of MAD is an unneeded, drastic change from B+ that will put off potential players. It's so unnecessary it's not even funny, and if Brawl+ isn't fun to you without this gimmick, then you must not know anything about Smash
Okay, do you need a tissue? Are you done crying, here.. take it. No. Really, take it.

It's a FAQ because it EXPLAINS WHAT HAD is---- and explains many other aspects of it. It is FACTUAL. So NO I will NOT CHANGE THE NAME. "Damaging to Brawl+" give me a break. I am NOT responsible for who posts in this thread, just as I'm not responsible for educating them on matters. If anything, I've at least taken a step in educating them based on the fact that I try to explain everything in the OP. It's not biased.. I just tell it how it is. I state that we don't know the good or bad affects of this code because it's not out yet.

Who is ignoring wavedashing's flaws? We're tending to them right now, in making this HAD code we're trying to make it far more strategic, far less safe. You are so far on the other side that you're not even making sense at this point. Gimicky... come on.

What's with the amazing level of negative stigmatization wavedashing has received here guys? Why? You're SO unbelievably close minded. You're not even willing to keep the peace, wait for the code to come out, test it, then input. The majority of you are being very uncivil about this, and it's sickening.

"This is the worst thing to happen to Brawl+" someone said. Is that person on drugs? It sounds as though their world is spiraling out of control, over discussion of a hybrid system. I really don't understand this. I'm for this code, because Brawl+ can be unique. This is a system that NONE of us have experienced before. This is new-- built on the old. None of you can truly pass judgment unless you've played with it. What if you try it and love it? For many of you, even if you liked it, you'd be too stubborn to admit it and would instead spread the hate. Unbelievable.

The creation of HAD is NOT to lessen the value of Brawl+, it's not to homogenize everyone, it's not to take away depth. It's simply to add a new flare to the game, enriching it. Perhaps when you guys come around, and look at things from a less rigid perspective you'll realize that and at the very least, you'll test the code.

There's NO REASON that this code couldn't be great. The inclusion of a reworked wavedash could be amazing. It is a different movement option from DDing and Dash Canceling, as such, it's unique. It adds another layer to the game. You guys think this is some sort of concrete science, when it's not. Many of you have come to some conclusions on the entirety of this code saying things such as "it will destroy the edge game, it will buff the defense a ton.. etc" yet you're just pulling that out of no where. A hypothesis is still only a hypothesis until it's been tested, and right now it can't be tested... so relax.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
This community is terrible. So many people are pretty much copying and pasting 'they ignore why it bad, take out no good me not want' and I seriously doubt many even understand the points made for it or why it would be bad.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Why are people so sensitive and pessimistic about this? If anything is going to veer people away its this kind of elitism and arrogance.

You're already isolating me from the Brawl+ community and labeling us who support MAD to be ignorant. Its dumb and petty considering anything good that can come from MAD that people mention is just ignored as "sliding" or "extra." Its tiring considering we're really the ones being ignored and its also hypocritical. I've heard nothing new from the opposing side of MAD, and now you guys are just rejecting the option to support it completely, johning about how the majority hates it.

I agree with Kix. The "majority" of this community is being narrow-minded.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
You know, it's funny. You're really making it easy for everyone to identify you as a troll. You and anyone else who continues to spam this paragraph *cough* Storm for one.

Perhaps you were under the assumption that I live on these boards, much like yourself, when in fact I've quite busy. Just because I don't respond to your post IMMEDIATELY, and bend to your every command doesn't mean I won't respond later, after I've actually read the thread. You are creating a TERRIBLE image for all of those against HAD in that yes, you guys are coming across as trollish. Sorry if this is the case, perhaps you should think before you do. BTW, I will not do exactly as you demand...

cool. it got your attention.. and your retort is?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
And....

Okay, do you need a tissue? Are you done crying, here.. take it. No. Really, take it.

It's a FAQ because it EXPLAINS WHAT HAD is---- and explains many other aspects of it. It is FACTUAL. So NO I will NOT CHANGE THE NAME. "Damaging to Brawl+" give me a break. I am NOT responsible for who posts in this thread, just as I'm not responsible for educating them on matters. If anything, I've at least taken a step in educating them based on the fact that I try to explain everything in the OP. It's not biased.. I just tell it how it is. I state that we don't know the good or bad affects of this code because it's not out yet.

Who is ignoring wavedashing's flaws? We're tending to them right now, in making this HAD code we're trying to make it far more strategic, far less safe. You are so far on the other side that you're not even making sense at this point. Gimicky... come on.

What's with the amazing level of negative stigmatization wavedashing has received here guys? Why? You're SO unbelievably close minded. You're not even willing to keep the peace, wait for the code to come out, test it, then input. The majority of you are being very uncivil about this, and it's sickening.

"This is the worst thing to happen to Brawl+" someone said. Is that person on drugs? It sounds as though their world is spiraling out of control, over discussion of a hybrid system. I really don't understand this. I'm for this code, because Brawl+ can be unique. This is a system that NONE of us have experienced before. This is new-- built on the old. None of you can truly pass judgment unless you've played with it. What if you try it and love it? For many of you, even if you liked it, you'd be too stubborn to admit it and would instead spread the hate. Unbelievable.

The creation of HAD is NOT to lessen the value of Brawl+, it's not to homogenize everyone, it's not to take away depth. It's simply to add a new flare to the game, enriching it. Perhaps when you guys come around, and look at things from a less rigid perspective you'll realize that and at the very least, you'll test the code.

There's NO REASON that this code couldn't be great. The inclusion of a reworked wavedash could be amazing. It is a different movement option from DDing and Dash Canceling, as such, it's unique. It adds another layer to the game. You guys think this is some sort of concrete science, when it's not. Many of you have come to some conclusions on the entirety of this code saying things such as "it will destroy the edge game, it will buff the defense a ton.. etc" yet you're just pulling that out of no where. A hypothesis is still only a hypothesis until it's been tested, and right now it can't be tested... so relax.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

I'm the troll?

You mean when I'm only doing this to get your attention and because I have the best interest of the community in mind I'm the troll?

Kix said:
Your side has done far more trolling. Because come on... you're telling me that this isn't trollish? Please.

Just a quick fyi, I posted that before you posted something else on this thread. Your post was certainly long enough for you to have had to have spent some time on it. There is no reason you couldn't at least have given my post a passing nod. When something like that gets ignored, there is nothing else I can do except make a point of catching your attention with it.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
lol We kind of need to do this, as important posts like that one easily get lost on a page and not seen at all.
yeah, but it was a LITTLE overdone.

Why are people so sensitive and pessimistic about this? If anything is going to veer people away its this kind of elitism and arrogance.

You're already isolating me from the Brawl+ community and labeling us who support MAD to be ignorant. Its dumb and petty considering anything good that can come from MAD that people mention is just ignored as "sliding" or "extra." Its tiring considering we're really the ones being ignored and its also hypocritical. I've heard nothing new from the opposing side of MAD, and now you guys are just rejecting the option to support it completely, johning about how the majority hates it.

I agree with Kix. The "majority" of this community is being narrow-minded.
this is turning into another 'items vs no items' and 'melee vs brawl' conflict. everyone has their own opinion, and its going to be hard to get anyone to switch to the other side. really the brawl+ community might be divided by this issue just like how melee used to be divided between items and no items. it took awhile before everything went no items.

cool. it got your attention.. and your retort is?
he used the 'trolls spamming blah blah' john to get out of responding lol

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I'm the troll?

You mean when I'm only doing this to get your attention and because I have the best interest of the community in mind I'm the troll?

Your side has done far more trolling. Because come on... you're telling me that this isn't trollish? Please.

Just a quick fyi, I posted that before you posted something else on this thread. Your post was certainly long enough for you to have had to have spent some time on it. There is no reason you couldn't at least have given my post a passing nod. When something like that gets ignored, there is nothing else I can do except make a point of catching your attention with it.
What is this, Star Wars? Am I the dark side and you the light side? Do I want HAD because I hate the community? This is where you go wrong. We both believe the same thing. We both believe our efforts to be in the best interest of the community. You're saying that you're right and I'm wrong. If that was the case there wouldn't be two differences of opinion.

This is not about the light and dark side. This is about different opinions and views. Just because someone else agree with me doesn't mean I agree with what they do. I'm not responsible for other people, only for myself.

Now grow up.

Thanks.

Eaode

Smash Champion
people that support MAD say how bad BAD is. People who don't support MAD say how bad MAD is. now combining both of these would be beneficial how? you'll just get the negative effects of both.

(also, imo, having your first AD be MAD and the rest BAD is severely limiting.)

there. there's a non-trolly post to ponder over.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I'm the troll?

Dude, please get over this "helping the community" thing. You act as if you're trying to save people from the dark side at this rate.

I'm glad Orca and Kix are taking this issue with some sense. There is no reason anybody should up in arms over this.

EDIT:
What is this, Star Wars? Am I the dark side and you the light side? Do I want HAD because I hate the community? This is where you go wrong. We both believe the same thing. We both believe our efforts to be in the best interest of the community. You're saying that you're right and I'm wrong. If that was the case there wouldn't be two differences of opinion.

This is not about the light and dark side. This is about different opinions and views. Just because someone else agree with me doesn't mean I agree with what they do. I'm not responsible for other people, only for myself.

Now grow up.

Thanks.
Lmao we had the same thoughts.

people that support MAD say how bad BAD is. People who don't support MAD say how bad MAD is. now combining both of these would be beneficial how? you'll just get the negative effects of both.
That doesn't make sense. Isn't getting both sides together the point of debating our opinions? There doesn't HAVE to be any negative effects if people considered it that way instead of the way they are now.

storm92

Smash Ace
Please define these limitations, thank God you've tested the code for us!
Orca, please stop hiding behind the whole "we don't have the code yet, so we can't see what it does" excuse.
It has some merit, I will give you that.
But almost everything besides the length and specifications of the WD can be theorized and seen where flaws exist.
The ADs limiting options is one such that we can.

SoldierRift

Smash Journeyman
Speed dashing in brawl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhh i discovered you can make a wavedash in brawl!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can only do it with people who have a very fast (A down.) Like toon link. First it try on a custom stage, then make a ledge EX.
/
/
/
/

And then use toon links (A down on that) You'll go super fast down it and it seems like a smaus's super wave dash!!!

But i call it speed dashing!!!!!!!!

Dan_X

Smash Lord
i just want to get on this thread and show my support to Orca and HAD. In fact, I've been supporting this ever since when Wind Owl first made that brawl+ chatroom way back when: I first mentioned the idea of fusing MAD & BAD(of course it was shot down). Everyone's theories on all the sides of this debate are all pretty legit, but the fact of the matter is that we will never be able to prove our sides or reach a conclusion or compromise until the code is made and tested. And the good news is that this debate will definitely end thanks to PW for taking on this task. So I suggest that since this code is already being made, everyone just stop wasting time debating on something you can't prove yet and hold onto your thoughts and unleash it once the code is in.
Exactly.

Orca, please stop hiding behind the whole "we don't have the code yet, so we can't see what it does" excuse.
It has some merit, I will give you that.
But almost everything besides the length and specifications of the WD can be theorized and seen where flaws exist.
The ADs limiting options is one such that we can.
Okay.. *peeks out from behind a tree.* So what's your argument again? Could you theorize it for me? What's broken about HAD?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

Now grow up.

Thanks.
I'm sorry that I and most every other BADer on this board thinks that WDing is giving brawl+ a bad reputation and thus wouldn't want it to be publicized until it's been made official. I'm sorry that I don't want to turn people away from brawl+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom