• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Hybrid 64 [Current Version: 3.2 + Slippi-compatible build!]

Cjag

Smash Cadet

Hybrid 64 is a mod for Super Smash Bros. Melee that focuses on making Melee closer to Smash 64, both in gameplay mechanics and aesthetics. It's been in the works for ~4 years and with v3.0 it's closer than ever!

New Character Textures!

New to ver. 3.0, Melee's characters finally get the retro treatment! Characters now use their low-poly models with all-new textures! Thanks to Connor Rentz for letting me use some of Melee64's textures! Here's a few pictures:

New Mechanics!

Hybrid 64 introduces new mechanics from Smash 64! Z-Cancelling, Stick Hop, Jump OoS Intangibility, just to name a few! And yes, you can still wavedash!

Retro UI!

Melee's UI has also gotten the retro treatment! Training Mode, Menus... Nearly all of Melee's UI elements now reflect the Smash 64 style!

Character Rebalancing!

Hybrid 64 also changes the cast's stats! With the extra hitstun and lowered DI, combo potential is through the roof! Like a legendary player once said... "Don't get hit."

NEW! Slippi-compatible build!

I'm very excited to announce that Hybrid 64 now has a Slippi-compatible build! Now you can play Hybrid 64 with Slippi's new Rollback Online feature! This build also includes a 64-inspired Classic Mode intro screen!

Download Link (Current Version: 3.2)
Slippi-Compatible Build

GameBanana Page
Full Patch Notes (Melee 1.02 NTSC -> Hybrid 64 v3.2)

If you're having issues patching the game with xDelta, here's an option with the game's root files. No ISO needed! Just DAT Texture Wizard. Instructions are provided on how to perform this.

This is where I'll place Patch Notes specific to this mod for when it gets updated.

• Slippi build does not boot into Slippi Online Scene. [Present since Slippi release 2.2.6/2.3.0 Beta]
  • Slippi's custom menu textures appear empty, but still function normally.
  • Metal Box item forces characters to revert to their high-poly models while in use. [Present since ???]
  • Running the "Results Test" in the Debug Menu crashes the game. [Present since ???. Can be worked around if you go into a match first.]
  • When adding CPUs in Training Mode, characters that correspond to ports 3 and 4 cannot stick hop. [Present since 2.1?]
  • Special Melee Menu is broken. It can be accessed, but the icons are misplaced. [Present since 2.2]
  • Accessing the "Additional Rules" sub menu through the Main Menu is a crash on console. Does not affect netplay or emulator. [Present since 2.2]
  • Team-based battles for 1P Game Modes crash the game. Doubles is unaffected. [Present since 2.1]
  • Yoshi does not suffer the intended Shield Stun. [Fixed as of v2.1.]
  • Coin Mode crashes the game. [Present since first release.]
  • The game has a small chance of not booting up in Nintendont. [Fixed as of 2.02?]
  • Yoshi slides off ledges while shielding. [Fixed as of v2.1]

• Coding (Includes authors of codes that're used in Hybrid 64)
    • UnclePunch
    • taukhan
    • Gadzook
    • Achilles1515
  • Textures
    • Connor Rentz
    • Lofi
  • Modding Tools
    • Ploaj (HSDraw)
    • DRGN (DAT Texture Wizard, Melee Code Manager)
    • Ampers (Crazy Hand)
    • Tatat0 (Interrupt Changer)
    • mer (Melee DAT Editor)
  • Playtesting
    • Lux
    • Stormghetti
    • The Cape
    • Auran
    • Yaruzu
  • Mar/01/2020
    • Refined Opening Post for v3.0
  • Jun/25/2019
    • Prepared Opening Post for release.
    • Added links to Patch Notes.
  • Aug/06/2019
    • Added Root Files as an alternative download option.
  • Sept/09/2019
    • Updated trailer to reflect newest version at the time (v2.1)
    • Updated Full Patch Notes link.
    • Added download link for v2.1 Root Files
  • Oct/??/2019
    • Updated trailer to reflect newest version at the time (v2.2)
It's been about a year since v1.5 of this mod was released in the Smashboards. Although it was said that it would be the "Final" version of the mod, something about that didn't fit well with me. I realized there was more I could do with this now 2-year-old mod. I wanted it to be the definitive mod where Smash 64 and Melee players alike could experience a brutal combo game without leaving their tech skill behind.

And with that goal in mind, I restarted the project. You can read the details of the mod by clicking on the spoiler tags.

My main focus for this patch has been character balancing and expanding combo opportunities. An issue with this mod's previous patches has always been the linear flowchart-y combos. While this is an aspect Smash 64 has due to it's lack of DI (only SDI was present), I didn't want this mod to mimic that entirely. This game has DI and I want its effect to be just strong enough to make a difference. Not too strong that would change an attack from launching vertically to launching horizontally, but not so weak that it might as well be non-existent.

That is why version 2.0 will have slightly stronger DI. Its curve allows combos to happen at lower percents and low-knockback moves while providing just enough to help characters survive longer at higher percents.

Fox Up Throw at 0% against Pikachu:

I tried my best to show it as exact as possible, but it proved to be difficult with just images. This will do, for now.

Character balancing has also been a topic in my mind. Everyone has their own visions on how they want their character to work and what buffs/nerfs they should receive. Some would like the low-tiers to be buffed so they can catch up, while others want the high-tiers to be nerfed so they can be fair against the rest of the cast. While an imbalanced game can lead to staleness and repetitive character choices, a game that's too balanced makes for a boring game since it sucks up potential creativity from the characters and its players.

Hybrid 64 hasn't always been a balanced game, and that's a good thing. For version 2.0, that will remain the same. I let myself loose and did the best I can without breaking the character or completely changing their dynamic/playstyle. While something may look overpowered at first glance, keep in mind that there is less DI, more Shield Stun, and more Hitstun than in vanilla Melee. The characters were adjusted with that in mind to bring the Smash 64 experience to Melee. Combo is the name of the game.

Smash 64's "Go!" and "Game Set" textures were imported into the game for a more retro experience, and I created a new "Ready" texture to fit the style.

I also made a new banner for Dolphin and its saves to help distinguish it from the long list of other games.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
will this have more hitstun then hybrid64 1.5
Hybrid64 has always had a hitstun multiplier of x0.45 and the cast was balanced with that in mind. Considering that characters can fastfall while performing an aerial, low Directional Influence, and Melee's overall speed, having too much hitstun would start creating easy infintes. Of course, having too little wouldn't really be like Smash 64. I had to find a happy medium where characters could have high combo potential, but wouldn't introduce infintes or repetitive combo chains against the fastfallers.

I mean, imagine the classic Cpt. Falcon vs Kirby matchup. Falcon falls much faster than his 64 counterpart. If this mod had a x0.533 hitstun multiplier like Smash 64, Falcon would get combo'd for over 100% with up tilts alone, then he'll lose a stock with a guaranteed up-air. And then there's the case with the spacies where they fall so fast they wouldn't be able to act out of hitstun until they're halfway below Final Destination. I would have to rebalance everyone for the higher hitstun which would result in a sluggish experience.

Hopefully this answers your question.

yung kirb

Smash Rookie
i see. sounds like hard work, but so far 2.0 sounds like its going to be a blast

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't seem to be able to patch it in? xdelta gives me an error message when I try, and I know the ISO works bc I've tested it with other patches. (I'm using the 2.1 patch, the 2.0 download seems to be corrupted).

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Thanks for bringing this up.

The reason why the 2.0 download may be corrupted for you is because I uploaded that version inside a .rar file. You would need something like 7zip or Winrar to open/unpack the file for that version. That won't be the case for 2.01 and onward as those will be in the standard .zip file.

I've looked into both xdelta patches (2.0 and 2.01) and they both work on my side. What kind of error message is it giving you? If it is XD3_INVALID_INPUT, then it is likely that the ISO you are using is not a vanilla copy of Melee NTSC 1.02. Check if the ISO you have is NTSC 1.02. If it's 1.01, 1.0, or PAL, the xdelta that was provided will not work. Also, the ISO needs to be a completely clean copy, as in nothing must be edited in that ISO for the xdelta patch to work.

Because of this issue, I will prepare an alternative download where I will pack the edited files from the mod for people to rebuild themselves with DAT Texture Wizard or GCrebuilder if the xdelta patch doesn't work for them. I'll do one for 2.01 and the upcoming 2.02 that should be releasing soon. I will update the OP once it's ready.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
1) It's not because it's a RAR file. I have WinRAR and it says it's a corrupted file and won't open it.

2) I have made absolutely sure of the ISO, it is an unmodified vanilla 1.02 NTSC copy of Melee, and I still get an XD3_INVALID_INPUT error when I try to patch it.

Cjag

Smash Cadet
1) It's not because it's a RAR file. I have WinRAR and it says it's a corrupted file and won't open it.

2) I have made absolutely sure of the ISO, it is an unmodified vanilla 1.02 NTSC copy of Melee, and I still get an XD3_INVALID_INPUT error when I try to patch it.
1) Hmm... Quite an odd case there. I've checked both Gamebanana and Mediafire links, and both files (2.0 and 2.01) open on my side. And I use WinRAR, too, so I'm not sure what could be causing the corruption issue on your end. I'm assuming you were able to open 2.01 since it's giving you an XD3 error, so there might be something fishy going on.

2) I've tested 2.01's xdelta patch again with my clean NTSC 1.02 copy and it was patched successfully, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be if your copy is also a vanilla copy but doesn't match. Has it been compressed in size in any way? Or maybe the MD5 Checksum doesn't match with my copy?
Regardless, to help fix your issue I have prepared an alternative download option for those who have problems with the patch. It includes the mod's root files, so you won't need an ISO to have the mod. All you need to do is build the ISO with GCRebuilder or DAT Texture Wizard. The links are in the OP under "Alternative Downloads (Root Files)." The instructions are included in the .zip.

If you still have problems trying to download the mod or building your own ISO, DM me and I'll help you the best I can.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Hmm... now that you mention it, I think my ISO might be compressed. Lemme try for an uncompressed version and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Yep, uncompressed version patched just fine. Weird that the compressed copy worked for some patches but not others, but oh well. Thanks for the suggestion! Looking forward to trying it out now!

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hello, everyone!

As you may have noticed, Hybrid 64 has been updated to version 2.1. This is a major patch since it has plenty of new additions and mechanics changes.

UCF v0.73 has been added into the game! Inputs should be cleaner now. [Image Link]

Thanks to Taukhan, Yoshi now suffers shield stun like the rest of the cast. And I also fixed an issue where Yoshi's shield would slide off platforms. [GIF Link]

Stick Hop has been added into the game! This Smash 64 mechanic allows for variable jump heights for every character depending on how you move the analog stick upward. A full stick hop generally has characters jump higher than their normal button hop. The height each character gains is also unique, so some characters get a higher stick hop than others. [GIF Link]

Slanted Hop has been added into the game! This Smash 64 mechanic lowers a character's jump height when performed during a dash or run. This also affects stick hops. Both this and Stick Hop mechanics were created by Unclepunch, so all thanks to him for porting them into Melee! [GIF Link]

Characters have been balanced once again, so please take a look at the patch notes included in the .zip or by clicking here.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
I'm loving this mod, never had such an easy time performing combos before. Really fun! I wonder if you could add more stages (via extra pages).

I'd like to suggest 4 things though: Add the "Time Up" (ofc people don't play timed matches much, but for the sake of completition and consistence) texture and replace the announcer call with the jp one for it, like you did with "Game Set", and fix the extra 2 spaces at the end of the game's codename. I easily did it myself for 2.1 using DAT Texture Wizard 5.5 (no other program will work, editing with another will make the game crash at startup or not erase the spaces at all), having the spaces makes some programs like USB Loader GX when hovered over, display it with the spaces after the name, which doesn't look nice. It should save time for the users who care about this stuff, in future versions. Add an unique description to the debug mode at the bottom of the screen, when it's highlighted since it still has the one from Tournament Mode. And last but not least, try to change some 64 sound clips to better match the original game if possible, I've noticed some inconsistencies both on menus and in game.

Keep it up! This deserves way more recognition, really.

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Glad to hear that you're enjoying Hybrid 64, Mimimax! It makes me really happy to know that the game is on the right track! I have read your suggestions and here's what I got:

- Adding the "Time Up" SFX sounds like a great idea! I actually didn't know that was in JP as well! I'll be adding that for the upcoming patch.

- The extra 2 spaces at the end of the Game's Codename? You mean the Game's name in the boot.bin? I didn't know that it looked odd in USB Loader GX (I use Nintendon't). I'll fix it right away!

- Using a program other than DAT Texture Wizard killed the ISO in previous patches, but I thought I fixed that with a recent patch... If not, there's not much I could do about it since I have no idea what causes it. =/

- I actually completely forgot about the Debug Menu text still having Tournament Mode's blurb. It'll be fixed next patch for sure.

- I have added more Smash 64 SFX in the latest patch (like explosions, electricity, menu sounds, etc), however I am limited to the original sound clip's size. Some sounds sound different because of that. I didn't want to lower the sample rate either, so I had to slightly edit them to fit. With a new discovery I made it should be possible to make them sound like Smash 64's, but that would require rebuilding the ISO and compromising the xdelta patch. It would be the same size as Melee itself! This is the same reason why I can’t add custom stages, too. I'll look into what I can do with Smash 64's SFX and see if I could improve their quality. Oh, and I really tried to make the "Accept" SFX match, but for some reason Melee would slightly distort it at the start. =(

Also, might as well include a few screenshots of how the game's next patch is looking. It's primary focus is aesthetics and making the game look more like Smash 64. All thanks to Ploaj's new tool! :D

These are still WIP, so feel free to give feedback!

NEW Title Screen! (The flames move, too!)

NEW Main Menu (Resembles Smash 64's Main Menu. The Smash Icon changes color depending on the mode!)

NEW CSS! (w/ Connor Rentz's CSS icons! CSP still missing until character textures are imported.)

NEW Stage Select Screen! (Thanks, Ploaj!)

In-game UI (WIP) (Yes, I know the Stock Icons are still missing. =P)

Pause Screen

Last edited:

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
Those are looking nice! Though I suggest you keep the Melee character icons/CSPs and such, and use the N64 ones for a Dolphin only Melee 64 based version (with the loaded textures and low-poly models code). Centralize the copyright text and improve (or use an image for it) the stage model preview, and it'll be all looking good I guess. (I loved the damage font in 2.1 btw, though the new one is accurate to 64)

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, CJ here!

It's been a while since I posted anything, so I'm going to put in a sneak preview of Hybrid 64's next patch. This patch will focus on aesthetics! Hybrid 64 hasn't really delved into its aesthetics much, only changing the Main Menu's font and lightly touch up the CSS. But thanks to a few new tools from Ploaj, it's now possible to edit a lot more stuff!

Here's a GIF showing off the Title Screen, Main Menu, CSS (featuring ConnorRentz's Melee64 icons), and SSS. Quite an overhaul, isn't it? [Link just in case it doesn't load]

All of this has been confirmed to work on Netplay and Console, so you play it in your Wiis and online no problem!

This patch is planned to release alongside a new trailer, hopefully by around late October or early November!

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Huh? you forgot to announce the release?
Oops. Well, that’s embarrassing... [Facepalms]

I was so busy with other stuff that day that I forgot to put in a post that I released the mod's newest patch! I must’ve thought that because I posted last I’m not allowed to double-post and I could only edit the OP. But since this is actually important and adds more to the thread, I am allowed to double-post (I think).

For that, I am really sorry!

----------------------------------

Anyways... Despite that blunder of the year, I guess I should put in that Hybrid 64 has been updated to ver. 2.2! This patch’s focus is... Aesthetics!

Hybrid 64 hasn't really delved into something like that and it was quite limited for a long time. The only things that have been touched were the Main Menu's Font and the CSS a bit. But thanks to a new tool from Ploaj, we could edit the game’s scenes and animations!

The result:
  • New Title Screen w/ new logo! The flames in the background actually move!
  • New Main Menu! The Smash icon logo changes colors depending on the mode!
  • New Character Select Screen, featuring Melee64's icons! The icons also move into the screen like Smash 64!
  • New Stage Select Screen! Each stage model has a unique color and is bigger!
  • New in-game timer and more!
All of this was inspired by the original Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64!

Not only that, but all of the sound effects have been updated as well! They should now match, or sound very close to Smash 64!

On the opening post you will find a brand-new trailer highlighting Hybrid 64's new look! Go check it out and tell me what you think! I'm always looking for feedback so I can further improve Hybrid 64!

...And, once again, sorry for the late post update due to my own confusion on forum courtesy/rules. (This is my first time in a forum and I still get confused at times.)

Last edited:

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
So, I noticed the back button in some modes' css is kinda weird and has no "back" written. And the smash logo on the closed player slot is a bit off in design.

As for suggestions, if you could use the n64 font for the percentages, but in higher quality, that'd be great. Also, I'd love if you could manage to use the Smash Remix (64 mod)'s mugshot pics for Young Link, Falco and Dr. Mario (Ganondorf uses it already), and if you could change (or make it optional) to have the timer in game back to the middle too. Maybe if possible too, have the "PRESS START" blink (and the 64 font, but in better quality) and a higher quality background fire in the title screen would be nice. Lastly, not a complaint but, why are "Past Stages" called "Classic stages" on the SSS?

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
In some menus, the game stretches the back button off screen and I'm not sure why. Coincidentally, the way the back button was stretched matched the Melee aesthetic pretty well and decided to keep it. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply to the single-player CSS and the back button could be seen in its entirety. I'll see if I can apply this effect to the single-player menus for consistency. I wanted it to be an Easter egg of sorts, but it didn't work as intended. ^^'

The Smash logo on the port doors had to be made from scratch since the original texture would've looked blurry. I tried to make it as close to the original as possible, but it may have its imperfections. I'll see if I can get it to match with the original logo more closely.

The program I used didn't have support to add borders to text, so they had to be made separately from the font itself. I can't up its quality since the space I'm given for the texture is so small (32 x 36). but I'll see if I could make it sharper.

The mugshots that Smash Remix uses for Young Link, Falco and Dr. Mario may be originals and exclusive to that mod, so I would find it difficult for me to add those mugshots into Hybrid 64 while combining it with Connor's Melee64 icons.

I wanted the UI to resemble Smash 64 a little bit more, so I moved it to the top-right and removed the milliseconds. When restructuring the UI, I only took the standard 4:3 screen ratio into consideration, so it may look odd on widescreen setups. It may be difficult to implement the option to set it back to the default position and scaling in-game, unfortunately. The only way I can think of is using a different file or patch for widescreen users, but that would cause desync issues with Netplay.

The blinking "Ready to Fight" banner should be possible, but I may have to adjust its size so it wouldn't be so distracting.

A higher-quality background fire? Hmm... The fire I used were pulled from another title screen Melee had in its files (possibly the beta title screen), which coincidentally looked very similar to the ones Smash 64 used for its title screen. I'll see if I can increase its quality without compromising the xdelta patch.

The reason why "Past Stages" are called "Classic Stages" is because... Well, I felt "Classic Stages" fit better (lol). "Past stages" implied something that's "Old" compared to the modern stages at the time. "Classic Stages" implied a more nostalgic feel, as in "They're stages from an earlier entry, but very memorable!"

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, more feedback I forgot before:

Some N64 sounds are still using an incorrect clip from N64. Like a few menu/css ones that could be more accurate, and ingame (afaik), the explosion sound that uses the Master hand missle sound currently instead of the bomb/etc explosion sound.
If you could change them to even more closely match 64 that'd be really cool.

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!

Hybrid 64 has just been updated to v2.21, bringing with it a few changes.

The CSS has been updated! It now looks just like Smash 64!

Some things have changed such as the "Ready to Fight" banner now appearing from the center instead of scrolling from the left side of the screen, removing the top and bottom gray panels, and changing the colors for the texture that says what mode you're in. All the character portraits have been replaced with a pose of their in-game models, too!

The SSS now has a new "Now Loading" banner!

The animation is still the same, but I just wanted to make a new banner. The box effect came about by complete accident, too, so I stuck with it (lol).

And, of course, character balancing has been adjusted.

Some fixes regarding Fox's f-air hitting 4 times instead of 3, and Mario's Down-B are also included.

I hope you enjoy this patch! I put a lot of work into it!

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
Nice! It's looking great. You just forgot to update the main download link on mediafire and the full patch notes :p

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
You just forgot to update the main download link on mediafire and the full patch notes :p
Oops! That's embarrassing... Thanks for letting me know! I have updated the OP's download link and now leads to the correct file. I have also added links to v2.21's root files as an alternative download and updated the Full Patch notes so people can know all of the changes the characters have gotten over the years.

Melee maniac

Smash Cadet
Oops! That's embarrassing... Thanks for letting me know! I have updated the OP's download link and now leads to the correct file. I have also added links to v2.21's root files as an alternative download and updated the Full Patch notes so people can know all of the changes the characters have gotten over the years.
How where you able to edit hitstun

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
How where you able to edit hitstun
You would have to open the Plco.dat and edit the value @0xA134. That's the hitstun multiplier. For a comparison, Melee has a hitstun multiplier of x0.4, Hybrid 64 has it set to x0.45, and Smash 64 has the highest at x0.533.

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
Feedback time:

If you can, change the Team Battle text on the CSS to green to match 64.
On the CSS's closed slots, the smash logo's still a little off from the actual one.
The SSS has the highlight outline of the formerly smaller stage icons still in the original size, plus the one from the Random stage is a little off. Also, some icons themselves (including their highlight outline) are still in their original shape/size which is a little off from most other stages.

Cjag

Smash Cadet
If you can, change the Team Battle text on the CSS to green to match 64.
The issue with changing that texture's color is that it is shared with the other Vs. Mode textures, so if I change that texture color to green it'll affect all the others within Vs. Mode. I'll see if I can change the texture type so I can define specific colors for both "Free-for-all" and "Team Battle" textures.

On the CSS's closed slots, the smash logo's still a little off from the actual one.
It still is?! I personally don't see it. I know I had to make the logo myself, but I traced it with the Smash 64 CSS panel behind it. Maybe it looks off because Melee's CSS dimensions are different to Smash 64's and made the logo look different. I'm going to try again and this time use Melee's Smash logo texture so it can be an exact copy.

The SSS has the highlight outline of the formerly smaller stage icons still in the original size, plus the one from the Random stage is a little off.
Yeah, that's something that's been bothering me, too. I'm going to investigate on how to make the highlight outline match up correctly. And yeah I'll fix the Random icon the best I can for the next patch.

Also, some icons themselves (including their highlight outline) are still in their original shape/size which is a little off from most other stages.
I think the icons you're referring to must be the old and special stage icons since they were originally squares and not rectangles. I'm afraid I won't be able to make them perfectly line up, but I'll try to fix them the best I can.

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hey, everyone! Cjag here with a short dev log regarding Hybrid 64's upcoming patch.

Progress on Hybrid 64 v2.30 has been steady over the last few weeks. College work has been delaying the project a bit, but once finals are done I should be able to work on it more frequently.

Aesthetic Changes

User Mimimax Mimimax noticed that the CSS closed door port's Smash logo is inaccurate to its official design. Well I'm happy to share that the issue has been fixed for Hybrid 64 v2.3! I used one of Melee's existing Smash logo textures and put it as an overlay. Also, I was able to make the "Team Battle" texture change color to green just like Smash 64. [GIF Link]

The Stage Select Screen's issue with the red outlines over select stages have not been fixed yet, but I was able to change the design for all of the icons for consistency. I would have to adjust some of the stage icons since some of the corners peek out from the panel.

Character Adjustments

Some character issues have been fixed for this patch, such as:
  • Roy's Side-B not working against spacies at all.
  • Bowser's Up-B being inconsistent.
  • Kirby's throws still being escapable after pummeling.
  • Ganondorf having ledge troubles.
  • etc.
Of course, there will be some character balance adjustments so watch out for them.

There are more stuff I would like to present here, but some of them haven't been confirmed for v2.30 yet, so I'll have to leave them out until then. However, I could give a small hint towards one of them... It's a niche mechanic only Smash 64 players would know about. ;)

If you want to stay up-to-date with Hybrid 64's development, follow the project's page on Twitter! I tend to post some stuff there from time to time. It could be experimental stuff for Hybrid 64, Twitch streams, and maybe a meme or two. You could also voice your concerns on the mod itself and contribute to its development with your feedback. Trust me, I'm always looking for feedback.

That's all for now! Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hey, everyone! Been a while, huh?

Sorry I haven't posted anything in three months (lol). I've been hard at work with Hybrid 64's newest patch during that time, but now I can finally give everyone a glimpse of what's coming! There's a lot of stuff I wanted to show, but I felt the current OP had depreciated, so I went ahead and updated it to reflect the upcoming changes for Hybrid 64 v3.0!

I hope you enjoy!

Mimimax

Smash Rookie
New stuff is looking good! Really hyped for 3.0.
I'd like to ask for a version without the N64-like characters models though, as some people may prefer to keep the Melee models you know.

Cjag

Smash Cadet
New stuff is looking good! Really hyped for 3.0.
I'd like to ask for a version without the N64-like characters models though, as some people may prefer to keep the Melee models you know.
It's great to hear you're excited for 3.0, Mimimax Mimimax ! It took a long time, but the wait's going to pay off!

However, I cannot supply a patch for Hybrid 64 with Melee's high-poly character models going forward. To do that, I would have to create a separate patch with the high-poly models, creating an alternate version of the same game. I have done something like that before with a previous patch (ver. 1.5 with its mechanics) but I feel that's not a direction Hybrid 64 should pursue. I don't want to create a divide between players that like the low-poly models and those who prefer Melee's high-poly models.

Not to mention the implications netplay would bring if there were two versions of the same game. To avoid desyncs, players would be required to have both versions to swap with, and then they would have to compromise over which version to play. Some may be arrogant and say, "I like Melee's original models and only play in high-poly mode," or vice-versa. And then all hell breaks loose over which version is subjectively "better" when they're both mechanically the same. Once again, there would be a divide between "Low-poly" and "High-poly" players and cause problems that wouldn't exist if there was only one universal patch.

While the idea sounds good on paper, the implications it would cause seem very problematic and would overshadow the convenience of preserving Melee's high-poly models.

Last edited:

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hey there!

Just letting people know that Hybrid 64 v3.0 is now live! I have updated the OP with the new trailer and updated links!

Enjoy!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Awesome! I haven't played since 2.01 so I'm looking forward to playing catchup on all the new changes!

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Yo! NyxTheShield here (Ancient account lol), I just tested this and I really love the idea so far. Just as a question, what are the plans for air dodge and running grabs? As a 64 player it really ****ed my mind having a 64 enviroment with wavedash , whenever I tried to play with it on it felt just like melee but with more hitstun, but limiting myself to not use wavedash made it much more fun. Same for dash grabs. I also felt like a lot of attacks send into tumble instantly, I feel that increasing the threshold for tumble would really help enabling 64 like combos.

Cjag

Smash Cadet
Hey, Nyx! I'm glad you liked playing Hybrid 64!

what are the plans for air dodge and running grabs? As a 64 player it really ****ed my mind having a 64 enviroment with wavedash , whenever I tried to play with it on it felt just like melee but with more hitstun, but limiting myself to not use wavedash made it much more fun. Same for dash grabs.
The idea behind Hybrid 64 is a middle ground between Melee and Smash 64. It would have more hitstun and remove some of Melee's mechanics while introducing Smash 64's mechanics. Wavedashing is the only "Melee" part of the mod that I wanted to keep, while the added mechanics are the "64" part. However, I will keep your idea in mind!

As for dash grabs, I actually didn't think about them much, to be honest. ^_^' I've been JC-grabbing so much that I sorta took it for granted. There are certain characters that benefit from having a dash grab though, so I didn't want to get rid of it.

I also felt like a lot of attacks send into tumble instantly, I feel that increasing the threshold for tumble would really help enabling 64 like combos.
A lot of attacks send into tumble instantly? You mean at 0-10%? Hmm... Thanks for bringing this up! I'll look out for certain attacks that may be tumbling too early!

Cjag

Smash Cadet
There seems to be a problem with the Special Movie in 3.00. Neither the xdelta patch nor the root files work because of it.
A problem with the Special Movie? You mean the one in the "Archives" menu? From what I can tell it works on Emulator. Haven't checked console yet, though. Also, what do you mean by "the xdelta patch doesn't work because of it?" You mean you can't patch the game with either options? Please clarify this a bit.

Last edited:

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
A problem with the Special Movie? You mean the one in the "Archives" menu? From what I can tell it works on Emulator. Haven't checked console yet, though. Also, what do you mean by "the xdelta patch doesn't work because of it?" You mean you can't patch the game with either options? Please clarify this a bit.
When I use the xdelta patch, it stops like 3/4 of the way through and doesn't make a working iso. When unzipping the root file, 7zip has a problem with MvOmake15.mth, which is the special movie. So it can't extract all the way. I assume that's what xdelta is having problems with as well. Something about the end of the file not being when it should, according to 7zip.

Top Bottom