• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hungrybox Wins Dreamhack 2015 - Top 16 Results

Many of Europe's finest alongside large amounts of out of country talent came to the battlefield known as Dreamhack Winter 2015 and it was quite the spectacle. The results were shocking as Hungrybox clutched out an emotional win. Let's take a look at the results of the event and see how much this means for the world of Melee.
Hungrybox Beats Armada

Armada had quite the win streak going into Dreamhack Winter. Having taken 1st place at the last eight tournaments he's attended, two of those being Dreamhack London and Evo 2015 many expected that Armada would keep up this level of dominance. After Evo 2015 where he came up against Hungrybox and took the gold he was able to yet again win over Hungrybox at The Big House 5 but today the tables turned as Hungrybox finally was able to break the Armada wall that separated him from first place. With a highly emotional but also slightly humorous post game interview it was easy to see that Hungrybox was very proud of this accomplishment. Will this mean Armada will have strong competition going into the next major Hungrybox attends? Fans will be on the edge of their seats to see the results.

SFAT vs Leffen $1000 Money Match

There was more on the line at Dreamhack Winter than just the grand prize. After some drama, callouts, and fighting on Twitter Leffens challenges SFAT to a first to five money match which SFAT accepted. Unfortunately for SFAT the match was very one sided as he was only able to take one game off of Leffen. A detailed account of the match with stages and stock counts can be found here.

The Top Sixteen

Unfortunately for Leffen the money match would be his only winnings from the event as he was not able to place within the top eight! This oddity left Armada as the only player from Europe to secure a top eight placement. The full final results are shown below.

1st
Hungrybox :jigglypuffmelee: - $10,000
2nd
Armada :peachmelee::foxmelee: - $5,000
3rd
Plup :sheikmelee::samusmelee: - $2,000
4th
Westballz :falcomelee::foxmelee: - $1,000
5th
Mango :falcomelee: - $600
5th
Duck :samusmelee: - $600
7th
Shroomed :sheikmelee: - $400
7th
MacD :peachmelee: - $400
9th
Leffen :foxmelee:
9th
Axe :pikachumelee:
9th
Ice :foxmelee:
9th
Android :sheikmelee:
13th
HugS :samusmelee:
13th
Wizzrobe :falconmelee:
13th
Zgetto :foxmelee:
13th
Fuzzyness :foxmelee:

Players from the US showed serious dominance with 5/8s of the top sixteen being from the USA. Outside of Leffen and Armada Ice, Android, Zgetto, and Fuzzyness were able to secure spots.Solid character variety is present here with showings from characters like Captain Falcon, Pikachu, and three players who used Samus.

---​

Dream Winter 2015 was a thrilling event for Melee that has shown a lot of what Europe has to offer alongside the strength of the American scene. Such a large set of international talent will not likely be seen for Melee until Genesis 3. Enjoyed watching the event? Happy with the final results? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for more Melee coverage.

Last edited:

Comments

Good stuff to Hungrybox. Putting in work with the least used top tier character. He's had quite the year in tournament results, and I'm glad he won another big tourney this year.

I wonfer who cried more when Hbox won: his haters or himself. Kepp t up H-box, I will always support you!

Also this:
image.png

Last edited:
That's a couple of Samuses up there. And quite interesting that Armada lost on his own turf. Nevertheless, congrats to HBox.

It felt so heartwarming when Hungrybox expressed his joy of finally winning a supermajor, I just couldn't stop smiling seeing him so ecstatic after he won. Props to him, hopefully he can be consistent with his placing and go for #1 next year!

I am a huge hungrybox fan and I have watched him get second and third at events like big house and evo. It was such an uplifting and emotional moment for me to see him finally get first over Armada. Melee is more than a game

Holy hell, ten grand!? I think that's the most I've seen a smasher win money (I might've seen more on the smash documentary, but I digress.) Either way damn! Congrats to HBox!

And the cries from Mango and his fans are louder than ever. "HBox iz ruinin' the game" "Hbox killed Melee" "Hbox *ResidentSleeper*" was all over the chat when Armada was the one camping and being lame. LOL!

Meanwhile everyone's lord and savior C9Buster got 5th again, double eliminated by non-Top 6 players. Loser.

Stay salty and cancerous, Mango nation. HBox has been the real Captain America this year.

And the cries from Mango and his fans are louder than ever. "HBox iz ruinin' the game" "Hbox killed Melee" "Hbox *ResidentSleeper*" was all over the chat when Armada was the one camping and being lame. LOL!

Meanwhile everyone's lord and savior C9Buster got 5th again, double eliminated by non-Top 6 players. Loser.

Stay salty and cancerous, Mango nation. HBox has been the real Captain America this year.
You seem pretty salty yourself. 99% of those people in chat aren't even serious.

You seem pretty salty yourself. 99% of those people in chat aren't even serious.
I'm just spraying more gasoline onto the fire because I know how much Mango and his fans hate Hungrybox. Pretty simple.

And those chat responses are on every single chat of every single stream that Hungrybox plays on. A good amount of Melee fans are Mango fans, and most Mango fans hate Hungrybox. If you're telling me that only 1% of those chats are serious when most chats are full of Mango fans, then you're insane.

Last edited:
I'm just spraying more gasoline onto the fire because I know how much Mango and his fans hate Hungrybox. Pretty simple.

And those chat responses are on every single chat of every single stream that Hungrybox plays on. A good amount of Melee fans are Mango fans, and most Mango fans hate Hungrybox. If you're telling me that only 1% of those chats are serious when most chats are full of Mango fans, then you're insane.
Either way, there's no reason to be pouring gasoline on the fire in the first place. This is a forum, not Twitch chat, and Smashboards in particular is held to a higher- Jk, this site has been a joke since Sm4sh was announced.

But in all seriousness, this isn't the place to be arguing about which player is better, or who has the better fanbase. We're supposed to be arguing about which Smash game is better.

Either way, there's no reason to be pouring gasoline on the fire in the first place. This is a forum, not Twitch chat, and Smashboards in particular is held to a higher- Jk, this site has been a joke since Sm4sh was announced.

But in all seriousness, this isn't the place to be arguing about which player is better, or who has the better fanbase. We're supposed to be arguing about which Smash game is better.
The hell is that supposed to mean?

/let the rustling begin

It really bugs me how the news forum focuses more on smash 4 even when news like 20xx TE releasing could have been written about and featured.

It really bugs me how the news forum focuses more on smash 4 even when news like 20xx TE releasing could have been written about and featured.
Did you notice that this article is about a Melee-only tournament?

Congrats HBox! You're not only a great player, a fantastic person as well. Deserved for sure! Everyone did very well.

Last edited:
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill
"Outside of Leffen and Armada Ice, Android, Zgetto, and Fuzzyness were able to secure spots."
This could be clearer, I had to reread it a few times to understand what you meant. A colon after Armada should do?

Mango maintained his buster 2015 to the very end, and HungryBox was bound to actually win a major sooner than later. Apex is coming soon though, maybe PPMD will descend from his mountain again to dominate it.

You do realize Armada has to laser camp because it's HBox...right?

Mango maintained his buster 2015 to the very end, and HungryBox was bound to actually win a major sooner than later. Apex is coming soon though, maybe PPMD will descend from his mountain again to dominate it.
Apex 2016 hasn't been announced yet, so far Genesis 3 is the closest major on January 15th - 17th.

Apex is expected to be Spring due to weather. Winter for East Coast is a bad time for majors, as history shows. Bifuteki said so in his Daily Dot ama, potentially elsewhere too.

Woah dude. There's really no need to be that salty. :b

You do realize Armada has to laser camp because it's HBox...right?
I think the point is that hbox was being booed at Evo for ledge camping while everyone cheered for Armada laser camping, but during Dreamhack hbox did away with the ledge camping and beat Armada without it.

At least, that's what I gathered from the interview. Haven't watched the matches yet. Could only listen to them while I drove.

If Armada has to camp because hbox camps, then that was apparently useless this time around. I think Armada tried to play hbox the same way he did at the last few majors, and wasn't prepared for hbox's new style.

If hbox doesn't ledge camp anymore, is Armada still required to laser camp?

This is a genuine non rhetorical question, because I lack experience in gameplay at this level.

I think the point is that hbox was being booed at Evo for ledge camping while everyone cheered for Armada laser camping, but during Dreamhack hbox did away with the ledge camping and beat Armada without it.

At least, that's what I gathered from the interview. Haven't watched the matches yet. Could only listen to them while I drove.

If Armada has to camp because hbox camps, then that was apparently useless this time around. I think Armada tried to play hbox the same way he did at the last few majors, and wasn't prepared for hbox's new style.

If hbox doesn't ledge camp anymore, is Armada still required to laser camp?

This is a genuine non rhetorical question, because I lack experience in gameplay at this level.
Technically, no. Even an aggressive fox still wins the matchup, just watch Hbox v Mango sets (excluding the past 2, Mango has been... off his game lately) or watch the Leffen sets, he doesn't use heavy laser camping either.

Realistically, yes. Some styles are better suited to different players, and Armada is simply a defensive player. He would have to relearn the entire character and the MU in order to play aggressively, and it probably wouldn't even help in the MU.

Also Hbox didn't really bring a new style. He just generally outplayed Armada. He brought a couple new tricks, but they played 3 sets and a ton of games, so they both had more than enough time to adapt. Also keep in mind this was on PAL, with the Fox nerfs.

Top Bottom