• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hungrybox wins Battle of the Five Gods -- Full Results and Payouts

Over last three days, twenty of Melee's best gathered in Austin, Texas, to compete in the Battle of the Five Gods at the world famous South by Southwest (SXSW) festival. Gods fell and upsets occurred, but one god stood above them all: Hungrybox. Although Mango put up an incredible fight by reseting the bracket 3-0 after an incredible loser's run, Hungrybox adapted to win his first major tournament with all 5 gods in attendance. Here are the full results of Battle of the Five Gods:

Place | Player | Eliminated In | Set Count | Game Count | Winnings
1st | Liquid`Hungrybox :jigglypuffmelee: | N/A | 7-1 | 18-5 | $13,000
2nd | C9 Mango :foxmelee: | Grand Finals | 8-2 | 23-13 | $5,000
3rd | [A]rmada :peachmelee::foxmelee: | Loser's Finals | 5-2 | 17-19 | $3,000
4th | PG Wobbles :icsmelee: | Loser's Semis | 7-4 | 23-19 | $1,500
5th | PG Plup :sheikmelee::samusmelee: | Winner's Quarters | 6-4 | 22-18 | $750
5th | Tempo Westballz :falcomelee::foxmelee: | Winner's Quarters | 4-2 | 14-11 | $750
7th | COG MVG Mew2King :sheikmelee::marthmelee::peachmelee::foxmelee: | Top 8 LR1 | 3-2 | 11-8 | $500
7th | GC Silent Wolf :foxmelee::falcomelee: | Top 8 LR1 | 3-6 | 17-20 | $500
9th | SPY MacD :peachmelee: | Playoffs Group | 3-4 | 12-13 | $0
10th | EG PPMD :falcomelee::marthmelee: | Playoffs Group | 2-5 | 9-16 | $0
11th | CLG SFAT :foxmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 6-8 | $0
12th | WFX Shroomed :sheikmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-7 | $0
12th | CLG PewPewU :marthmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-7 | $0
14th | DruggedFox :foxmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-8 | $0
14th | Tempo Axe :pikachumelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 5-8 | $0
16th | MIOM S2J :falconmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 4-7 | $0
17th | HugS :samusmelee: | Group Stage | 1-2 | 4-8 | $0
18th | mYi Ice :foxmelee::falconmelee: | Group Stage | 0-3 | 3-9 | $0
18th | Lucky :foxmelee: | Group Stage | 0-3 | 3-9 | $0
20th | SPY Nintendude :icsmelee: | Group Stage | 0-3 | 1-9 | $0
All the brackets can be found on smashgg. Did you enjoy Battle of the Five Gods? What were your favorite moments? Share your thoughts in the comments below and tweet with the hashtag #FiveGods. A special thank you goes out to SXSW and the Battle of the Five Gods team for running this very special event.

Last edited:

Comments

Congrats to hbox

Shoutouts to Ice for pulling out Falcon. Didn't even know he had one.

Great event, I enjoyed its uniqueness.

All those characters M2K used.... he should really stick to only Sheik and Marth, or at least drop Fox for good :(
And lmao Nintendude is in the place he truly deserves....

This was easily the greatest tournament I have ever seen. Definitely going to make people reevaluate player rankings. It's too bad Leffen is still having visa issues, that would have been even more incredible.

And long coming, since 2010, Hungrybox now beats out Gnes with the claim to the largest sum of money earned from one Smash tournament.

Congrats!

Congrats Hungrybox! Pretty impressive that a Jigglypuff won this.

On a different note, I can't stand the term "gods". Being called a god for playing a freaking videogame and being good at it? Puh-lease. Talk about cheesy.

When are people going to finally put puff up there with falco/marth/sheik on the tier list?

Last edited:
Can the title be spoiler free ?
It is the second time I got spoiled an event I wanted to watch the VODs :(

The only solution is that I must avoid the SmashBoard home page every time there is an event...

What a bittersweet tournament. Hungrybox finally takes his US major in an intense top 3 showdown. Wobbles gives it his all for his home state as the last mortal in the tournament, finishing at a stunning 4th place. But we saw PPMD's health drag him in pools, and M2K fail to overcome himself, both in heart-wrenching fashion. I only wish everybody could play their best. :'(

D
Good on ya Hungrybix a big win for one of the biggest Melee players around.

With Plup's win over Mew2king, he has now beaten 5 out of the Big 6 in a serious set. If he ever takes a set off of Armada, he will be the first person to have beaten every member of the Big 6.

Wow... Hbox's game count O.o He's become so consistent and good at adapting mid game. This really might be his year. Incredible to see that aggressive puff go.

Mang0's moonwalking was also crisp, it's amazing to see that he is still improving his movement so much.

Last edited:
Top Bottom