• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How's My Tech?

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Make sure you can fastfall all the platform stuff on command.

Also try:
Wavedashing/landing off the platform, double jumping back on into another waveland off (aka haxdashing) you can repeat this over and over for a litttle stall.
or into a:
Waveland edgecancel doublejump
into a:
Waveland forward/back onto a platform above if you are below the edge of another platform/double jump aerial

Doing wavelands with your backwards crecent looking jump as well, both forward and backwards.

Sh rising fair into double jump waveland onto a platform

Advanced stuff:
Running Shield drops
Shield Drops with aerials
Shield Drop into doublejump waveland onto the same platform
Pivot shield aerials

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Please.. Elaborate..
I am intrigued, as I do play falco, but don't see the correlation.
Made me laugh as well.

Well what Umbreon would tell you your problems are is that for starters the fact that you play two characters. You should decide on one ASAP.

Then the fact that you're moving around and doing things as Marth as only a Falco would. Basically you're playing Marth like Falco even though they're two completely different characters and Marth cannot be played like Falco in the slightest so I'd suggest you stop what you're doing and re-evaluate your Marth.

Immagraton

Smash Rookie
Well what Umbreon would tell you your problems are is that for starters the fact that you play two characters. You should decide on one ASAP.

Then the fact that you're moving around and doing things as Marth as only a Falco would. Basically you're playing Marth like Falco even though they're two completely different characters and Marth cannot be played like Falco in the slightest so I'd suggest you stop what you're doing and re-evaluate your Marth.
I'm not sure how you can judge whether I'm playing marth as falco or not based on a video that doesn't contain any actual combat. That being said, if you can, I'm not sure you've backed up your point at all.

From what I can tell, you're referring to the nairs, which yes, I have reevaluated and it turns out they're not great in most situations. As for the tech, isn't there only one way to wave dash? One way to jump?

(If anything sounds like instigating or hostile it's not meant to be)

Edit: I'd like to reiterate that I'm not trying to start an argument. Anyone's input is greatly welcomed.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm not sure how you can judge whether I'm playing marth as falco or not based on a video that doesn't contain any actual combat.
They can't, it's just how Umbreon works, he's making a point at the expense of others for the general good of all Marth players. As long as you don't actually play like you practice tech it's fine. I honestly am practicing tech much like you are doing in this vid, but I sure as hell don't move around like that in actual matches. It's just good to be able to do that tech on the fly and without using much concentration.

My only question is, how is your decision making? Record a video of you playing some matches as marth. Honestly, decision making is more important than tech is with Marth in a lot of cases (although you obviously need both).

D

Deleted member

i wouldn't say it's at anyone's expense tbh

the point is that when you're playing marth, it's good to have movement fluidity but it's generally poor to express it with outward attacks because that kind of practice encourages the player to swing blind from neutral. the sample video from the OP is a good example of how "practice" can actively encourage players to develop these bad habits. and i can tell you right now, any time you NEED to L cancel dair, you're almost always doing something wrong.

@ the OP: there's nothing wrong with using solo practice to improve your movement and fluidity because that type of practice will aid your positioning and placement- the two things that make this character viable at all. I suggest that you only practice IASA on marth's dtilt because movement to movement timings are invaluable and you generally won't be using other swings from neutral other than dtilt. even if you're using marth's sword as an interrupt, it's not going to be with shuffle nair or dair. if you want to practice interrupts, practice them to have optimal coverage for movement after your swing so you can do movement > movement to negate the risk from an open swing. for example, if you must practice SH fairs, practice either fair speed to come out as fast as possible after the SH, do ledge jump fair as fast as you possibly can after the edge grab, or do fair > l cancel > dash away and try to minimize the time between those actions. those will make you a much better player while mitigating the formation of bad habits.

Top Bottom