• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you update the current type chart?

D

Deleted member

Here's the current type chart describing the effectiveness the attacking and defensive types from Bulbapedia:

How would you improve this chart in order to balance these effectivenesses competitively ?

As for me:

Ice type: by far the most unbalanced type currently, especially defensively, with 4 weaknesses and only one resistance to itself.
I would add 1 or 2 resistances to make Ice Pokémon more useful: an Electric resistance (due to the ice being a bad electric conductor irl) and/or a Ghost resistance (due to their natural low temperature which can hardly get lower with ghosts' fear).

I would also remove Water's resistance to Ice.

I give you a link leading to a blog explaining its user's view on how to improve the ice type: https://unapologeticnerd.com/2016/1...w-to-improve-the-fragile-ice-type-in-pokemon/

Grass type: I would add a Fairy resistance, due to fairies ceased to be protective to nature and some of them being punished for harming them in fairy tales.

Fairy Type: remove its OP immunity to Dragon, and make it only resistant to it.
Also remove its resistance to Bug which is bad enough with the number of types countering it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
This looks fun.

Bug Type: Remove Ghost and Fairy's resistance to it, make it super effective against Dragons, and add a weakness to Ice.

Ice Type: Resist Electric, Bug, Water and Dragon, remove Water's resistance against it, and make it super effective against Bug.

Poison Type: Remove it's weakness to Ground and Ground type's resistance to it, both for balance reasons and the fact that poisonous chemicals can actually be pretty harmful to soil in real life.

Bug: Instead of being not very effective against Fairy, make it super effective against it.

Ice: Add Electric and Dragon resistances, remove Water's resistance to it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Switch bug's effectiveness completely, making it strong vs fairy. Perhaps make it resistant to poison

Ice resisting water. Gamefreak keeps making defensive ice types, so give ice more resistances, maybe immunities.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did input my thoughts on the Fairy-type at one point.

Offense
  • Super effective
    • Fighting
    • Dragon
    • Dark
  • Not very effective
    • Fire
    • Poison
    • Bug
    • Steel
    • Fairy
Defense
  • Weakness
    • Poison
    • Bug
    • Steel
  • Resistance
    • Fighting
    • Dark
    • Fairy
  • Immunity
    • Dragon
Basically, Bug-types would become resistant to Fairy-type attacks, and have a new type advantage to go with it. This does give the Psychic/Fairy-type and Grass/Fairy-type a 4x weakness to Bug-type attacks, however; that can really sting for Gardevoir and Whimsicott. It also gives the Bug/Fairy-type as many as 6 weaknesses, which does hurt Ribombee and its already frail defenses. Also, Bug-types being resistant to Fairy-types would give the Bug/Poison-type, Bug/Steel-type, and Bug/Fire-type a new double resistance.

Fairy-types would become resistant to their own attack typing, which means that Mega Altaria would only take neutral damage; the Dragon-type's Fairy-type weakness is offset by the Fairy-type's resistance to Fairy-type attacks. It would also result in a double resistance for the Bug/Fairy-type and Steel/Fairy-type.

On a side note, the Poison-type would still have its uses against the Fairy-type, since Togekiss would only take neutral damage from Bug-type attacks. This would expand even further if a Fire/Fairy-type and a Fighting/Fairy-type are ever implemented, as both type combos would take 2x damage from Poison-type attacks, while only taking 1x damage from Bug-type attacks.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Bug: Resist Dark and Fairy, and lose the resistance Fairy has against it.
Dark: Remove its "Prankster" immunity and give it to a type that actually needs a buff like that, like Psychic.
Ice: Resist either Ground or Dragon. (Normally, I wouldn't give another resistance to a glass cannon type like Ice, but if GF keeps insisting on making so many defensive Ice types... yeah.)

:094:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Rock resists Bug and Ice.

Ice resists Flying, Water, and Grass.

Normal does normal damage to Rock and Steel. It's not weak to Fighting.

Electric is immune to Flying.

Grass beats Electric.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rock resists Bug and Ice.

Ice resists Flying, Water, and Grass.

Normal does normal damage to Rock and Steel. It's not weak to Fighting.

Electric is immune to Flying.

Grass beats Electric.
Exploud would be awesome if he had no weaknesses and could deal neutral damage to all without having to worry about typing.

Since he gets Scrappy and all

Maybe a little too awesome

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I've seen people wanting water to be weak to ice but I don't think it'll happen unless they do something with Freeze-dry since it'll lose its only niche. Though ice probably could resist normal and flying.. i'd also revert steel's resistance to dark but keep ghost as is.. (also I'd remove the immunity to prankster but I wouldn't give it to any other type..)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think water needs the nerf of it being weak against ice

Just buff ice's defenses

But bugs the one I feel needs the most bufffs

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Ice type: by far the most unbalanced type currently, especially defensively, with 4 weaknesses and only one resistance to itself.
I would add 1 or 2 resistances to make Ice Pokémon more useful: an Electric resistance (due to the ice being a bad electric conductor irl) and/or a Ghost resistance (due to their natural low temperature which can hardly get lower with ghosts' fear).

I would also remove Water's resistance to Ice.

I give you a link leading to a blog explaining its user's view on how to improve the ice type: https://unapologeticnerd.com/2016/1...w-to-improve-the-fragile-ice-type-in-pokemon/
I do agree with him on Steel not needing to beat three types, but I just wanted to explain why it beats Ice.

Ice, Rock, and Steel are part of a "hardness system" that takes place in the type effectiveness. Ice is the softest and Steel is the hardest. The idea is that Rock breaks Ice, Steel breaks Rock and Ice, and Fighting breaks all three.

This isn't officially confirmed AFAIK, but it makes way too much sense.

Elec

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-5666-2210
There's a lot of things that need a fix to the type chart.

Fairy: This is probably the most stupidly broken type in the game, it has such good resists along with weaknesses of such uncommon types, like look at where Clefable is at right now, S tier OU threat. It's also my least favorite type so I'm gonna be biased against it.

Fairy no longer is immune to Dragon, now only resists them.
Fairy is now weak to Bug and Fire.

These changes would make the Fairy type a lot less broken with Dragon immunity gone. Bug resistance for Fairy type never made any sense, I think it makes more sense if they were actually weak to it, which buffs Bug terrible coverage. And then Fire is just a common offensive typing that already resists Fairy so why not make it super effective.

Ghost: Ghost has always been an amazing type offensively, with only Dark types resisting it & Normal types immune, and as a defensive type its immunity to Fighting is great.

Ghost is no longer weak to Bug.
Ghost is again resisted by Steel.

This makes Sableye & Spiritomb weak to Bug which makes it easier to deal with them with U-turn spam. Steel resisting Ghost again nerfs Ghost's amazing offensive presence.

Grass: Grass has a lot of nice support moves, good resistances & traits giving a defensive niche however its offensive presence is quite terrible, being resisted by 7 types, almost all of which have some logic.

Grass is no longer resisted by Flying and Bug.

These two types are what I see most plausible for Grass doing neutral damage to out of all the resisted ones. Flying's a pretty common typing in the meta and I wanted to find another type to be neutral against so I chose Bug. Bug also has 7 types resisting it but throughout the post I've been giving Bug more of an offensive presence.

Dragon: Dragon is a strong type even with the introduction of Fairies. While I did give it an earlier buff to not get nullified by Fairies, I still feel like it deserves some more nerfs.

Dragon is now weak to Steel.
Dragon is now resisted by Ice.

These were changes made to more so benefit the other types because I feel like Steel still needs some more offensive presence and making it super effective against such a common typing really helps. And as for Ice, it needs another resist.

And now for some other type changes

Poison now beats Water
Same point as the Steel v Dragon point, Poison needs a better offensive presence and Water is a great defensive typing.

Ice now resists Ground
Yeah Ice desperately needs another resist and I think resisting one of the most common offensive moves in Earthquake is a great way buff it up.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I especially disagree with your choices with grass. I don't think Bug needs any more nerfs

Top Bottom