• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Would You Design the Next SSB Sequel?

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Although Ultimate is only a year and a half old, I’ve seen discussions on how the next ssb game should be handled with ports and reboots bring the most common ideas, and I’m curious about ideas that people have.

Things to consider:
gameplay
gamemodes
roster
stages

My idea:
I’d probably go all out on aspects outside of the roster since Sakurai said that cuts were highly likely next game, and a game with little change will feel like a watered down Ultimate. Also, he said that using a new engine was going to the alternative to what we actually got, which would have made the roster at most as large as Melee’s.

Gameplay

I feel like the gameplay at it’s core is mostly good at Ultimate, but here are some things below that could change it up.
Bringing back custom moves could help by giving characters more specials.
Multiple final smashes.
Make stamina a more prominent playstyle instead of a ring out, so like a combination of traditional fighters and SSB

Stages

I love a lot of the stages that are in Ultimate, but only 4 of the base stages were new, and I feel that about half of the stages should be new for this sequel. For the number of stages, I’d assume about 35 stages.

New Stages:
New Versions of Peach’s Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, Rainbow Road, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land, Pokemon Stadium, Green Hill Zone
Bowser’s Castle
Map from new Mario game
Minecart Mayhem
Map from new LoZ
Map from new Pokemon
Map from Metroid Prime 4
Map new FE game
Mal from new Xenoblade
Map from new Splatoon
Map from new IP
Returning maps:
Yoshi’s Island Brawl, Temple, Smashville, Tortimer Island, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria, Mute City 3DS, Magnificant, Summit, Castle Seige, Skyworld, Garden of Hope, Wuhu Island, Pac-Maze, Gaur Plain
Battlefields and FD’s from all entries
Small and Big Battlefields also in.

Roster
This is the most controversial part since everyone views how the roster should be done differently. Since the sequel will likely be on a new engine, there would be a drastic number of cuts.

Base game, no Unlockables
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultzelda::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultgreninja:New Pokemon:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultfalcon::ultness::ulticeclimbers:(:ultmarth:/:ultike:):ultpit::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultinkling:New IP character, Wild Card, :ultjigglypuff::ulttoonlink:(:ultlucina:/:ultchrom:)Octoling

:ultmario: Cappy would be used
:ultsamus:The ice beam would be added
:ultkirby:Moves like waddle doo beam and parasol would be standard attacks
:ultluigi:The Protergust would be used more
:ultness:PSI/PK Rockin would be a move
:ultjigglypuff:Rest would heal some damage, and there would be a fairy type move

Game Modes

I’d like to end this on a topic that’s not on the roster, so I don’t give a bitter taste in the end

Classic Mode
This mode will similar to Ultimates with character’s having unique routes

Events/Spirits
Fun single player challenge like in other games

All Star
There will be one like Melee’s and one like Ultimate’s

Minigames (there will only be a few minigames since multiplayer is technically more important)

HRC/Target Blast
Mob Smash
Boss Battles

Smash

Special

Tourney
Up to 64 players like Melee

Squad Strike
Being able to do more than 3v3 or 5v5
Tag team is up to 4 player

Additional Rules
An option for having a KO limit (deathmatch)
A random character filter like with stages and include miis in random
Being able to toggle for hazardless stages

Smash Run
Will be similar to how it was in SSB3DS, but ends with a boss battle

Freeplay: ranked and unranked, divides between competitive and casual, and choose between stock/time, and 1v1/2v2/ffa.
Arena: includes the additional rules that I mentioned for mutliplayer
Tourney: have 1v1 and ffa available at all times
Slipspace: Matches are continuous, and players switch during the match. (I saw a thing on it being planned for Brawl)
Spectate: mostly the same but could lose money

Stage builder
Be able to not need the touch screen at anytime
Sprits
They’ll be like they are in Ultimate except with descriptions added.

Tbh, I think this proposal may still be ambitious even after demolishing the roster.

Attachments

Last edited:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Make the main game a combat-heavy 3D platformer. Use the same button inputs

Draw inspiration from Kirby Superstar for the other game modes (ex: Arena)

Remove at least half of the cast and replace with new characters

Give MUCH more focus to a central plot than any SSB game has previously. Could make it somewhat cinematic, avengers style team up

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
You know, while I get that the likelihood of cuts going into a hypothetical Smash 6 is quite likely, I tend to scratch my head at those that believe it has to be taken to such an extreme. While the characters aren't everything, they're certainly the main draw of the franchise for most people, and Ik I can tell ya that if we go from ~90 characters in Ultimate down to 20 or 30 for whatever reason, I'm not going to buy a Smash 6.

My resolution to this quandary is to trim off roughly a third of the total cast that we'll have in Ultimate (making this somewhere between 50-60 characters), with 3rd parties heavily comprising the cuts that do happen as well as echoes/clones/semi-clones making up the rest of them. However, there should be some exceptions made imo if characters in either of these categories are huge fan favorites in the smash community, so I'd keep characters like :ultbanjokazooie: :ultwolf:and :ultroy: as returning veterans for those reasons. Highly influential 3rd parties such as :ultryu::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsonic: and arguably :ultsimon: should probably stay on the roster as well.

Outside of the character selection, I would definitely like to see some moveset redesigns to characters who need it such as Sonic, Lucario, Luigi, kirby and even Little Mac. I can speak on Lucario a bit more since I main him in Ultimate: I actually think he should keep his aura mechanic intact unlike most others, but just let him start with slightly higher attack power with no aura and keep the power levels he gets from aura fixed within certain percent ranges.

Reinvestment into single player modes would be fantastic as well. I'd love to see all-star mode make a return, have more interesting classic modes and something unique for an adventure mode (I actually kinda like the team idea for this; maybe have a couple different sets of character teams you can select at the start and have them go on somewhat distinct routes based off that).

Outside of that, obviously I'd like the online service to be better, but I also hope that the modes themselves for online are just redesigned to make for a bit of a better experience overall. Examples of this include being able to switch characters between QP (re)matches, having more stage variety (only FD and BF forms feels very limiting and always heavily favoring one character or the other; it also seems arbitrary how it's decided which player's preferred ruleset gets selected in cases of consecutive matches with that same person). Having a separate casual and competitive online mode again would probably help solve a lot of this, and it would be good to allow character switches between matches if they keep the battle arena concept around for a Smash 6 as well.

I've kind of been rambling for a while now and Ik I glossed over some aspects so I'll stop here, but those are my overall thoughts.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Since Ultimate’s shtick is “Everyone is here,” I would make the selling point of the next Smash game “Everything is here.” It’s no secret that the last couple of Smash games have had jack **** in terms of content, so I think that should be the focus.
First, Spirits would get the axe and Trophies would return. I don’t know about anyone else, but one of my fondest memories of Brawl is looking through the Trophy Gallery and being amazed at just how much there was to see. This would obviously mean that Trophy Gallery, Coin Launcher, and all of the other such modes would also return.

This being said, of course that means Spirits Mode would also get kicked in favor of another Adventure Mode. It would be more reminiscent of Subspace Emissary with some cues from Melee’s version of the mode rather than World of Light.

Home-Run Contest, Target Test, Race to the Finish, Board the Platforms, Boss Battles, Stage Builder, Smash Run, Squad Strike (usable online now), and Smashdown would all return from their respective games, as well as the obvious modes like Classic, All-Star, and Multi-Man. I would also see the return of custom moves from Smash 4. They’d be unlocked from the start (or at least much easier to unlock), available for use online, and ideally not hilariously unbalanced like in Smash 4.

There will be one other mechanic that gets the boot, and that is GSP. It’ll be gone, left behind in favor of traditional rankings. If you have the highest score in the world in Classic Mode, you’ll be #1. If you have a high win rate online, you’ll be matched with players of a similar rank. Other than that, though, everything would return.

Oh, except for Masterpieces. I don’t think those would be missed.
Minus a few questionable mechanics, I’d say Ultimate has pretty much nailed how a Smash game should play, so large-scale changes to the engine like in previous games wouldn’t be needed.
First and most importantly, the buffer system will be reverted to how it was in Smash 4. No longer will you buffer an air dodge offstage to your doom.

Next, it will once again be possible to dash through people like in previous games. This will not apply to shields, however, so moves like Fox Illusion will still not pass through shielding opponents.

Buried opponents will once again take half knockback instead of full knockback like in Ultimate.

Shield dropping will be faster, although not as fast as in Smash 4. If it was 7 frames before and 11 now, let’s say it’ll be 9 in the new game.

Footstooled aerial opponents will restore their double jump if it’s been used, preventing (dumb) accidental footstool kills.

It will now be possible to perform a tech jump in addition to a tech roll and a tech in place.

The dashing, perfect shielding, air dodge, and 1 vs. 1 damage multiplier mechanics will be unchanged from Ultimate.
However, since content is the focus and everything is here, everyone will unfortunately not be. That said, though, Ultimate has an ungodly large roster, so I don’t think too many people will be too terribly upset if the fat of it is trimmed.
Mario series - Cuts: Piranha Plant. Additions: Toad, Geno. Total: 8
Dr. Mario series - Additions - Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi (echo). Total: 2
Yoshi series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Donkey Kong series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 3
Zelda series - Cuts: Young Link. Total: 5.
Metroid series - Additions: Rundas. Total: 5
Kirby series - Additions: Bandanna Waddle Dee. Total: 4
Star Fox series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 3
Pokémon series - Cuts: Pichu. Total: 8
F-Zero series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Earthbound series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 2
Fire Emblem series - Cuts: Corrin, Byleth. Additions: Lyndis. Total: 7.
Game & Watch series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Kid Icarus series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 3
WarioWare series - Additions: Waluigi. Total: 2
Pikmin series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Gyromite series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Animal Crossing series - Cuts: Isabelle. Total: 1
Punch-Out series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Xenoblade series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Metal Gear series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Sonic the Hedgehog series - Additions: Sonic, Shadow, Silver. Total: 3
Mega Man series - Additions: Proto Man, Zero. Total: 3
Pac-Man series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Street Fighter series - Additions: M. Bison. Total: 3
Final Fantasy series - Additions: Zack (echo). Total: 2
Dragon Quest series - Additions/cuts: N/A. Total: 1
Smash Bros. series - Additions: Mii Mage. Total: 4
Castlevania series - Additions: Alucard. Total: 3
Golden Sun series - Additions: Isaac, Felix. Total: 2

Total newcomers - 16
Total cuts - 9
Total roster - 81
There wouldn't be a next Smash Bros.
We said that with Brawl, and then again with Smash 4. There’ll be another Smash game. Why? Because Nintendo likes money.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
First of all, I will technically not cut any characters, but a few would be changed

As for the characters that will get changes (Note, excludes alternate costumes)
:ultmario:: Uses his Hammer for his Side Special, his down Special from Melee returning and the T.Rex from Oddessy being his Final Smash
:ultdoc:: Is Mario's Echo Fighter
:ultdk:: Uses his Coconut Gun for his Side Special
:ultyounglink:: Is Link's Echo Fighter. Also his Final Smash would turn him into Fierce Deity Link
:ultzss:: Is back to being a transformation character for Samus. Use Shield B to switch both characters
:ultdarksamus:: Her Down Special is an Echoes Counter. Her Up Smash and her grabs has her use her tentacle attacks
:ultyoshi:: His Neutral Special eats items, healing Yoshi
:ultpichu:: Is Pikachu's Echo Fighter
:ultfalcon:: Uses his pistol for his Side Special and Throws
:ultdaisy:: Her Final Smash has her use her use her Tennis Skills to the high test
:ultbowser:: First of all, he can talk now, with his taunts changing as well. His Shield is replaced by him hiding in his Shell. His Up Special has him curl into a ball so he can ram opponents and have better recovery. His Rush attack is the Sliding Haymacker
:ultsheik:: She is back to being a transformation charcter for Zelda. Use Shield B to switch both characters
:ultzelda:: Her Light Arrow is her new Neutral Special, while Naryu's Love is her Down Special. The Phantom Summon is her Side Special, while Din's Fire is her Back Special
:ultlucina:: Her Neutral Special has been changed to a Bow and Arrow
:ultganondorf:: Uses his Trident for his Side Special
:ultmewtwo:: Uses Safeguard instead of Shield
:ultchrom:: His Neutral Special has been changed to a Javelin
:ultpit::ultdarkpit:: Their Sheilds are now their actual shields. Pit's Down Special is a Counter Attack, while Dark Pit's Down Special is a thorny vine whip
:ultwario:: Has longer range for his Smash Attacks
:ultsnake:: Has two new taunts (Takes a drink (of water) and Checks his rocket launcher)
:ultpokemontrainer::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:: All 3 Pokémon switches with Shield B. Squirtle Down Special is the Shell Slam, Ivysaur's Down Special is the Vine Trip and Charizard's Down Special is the Rock Drop
:ultsonic:: His Down Special is changed to a move from Sonic Fighters
:ultkingdedede:: Can talk now
:ultlucario:: Uses Bone Rush for his Side Smash
:ultmiifighters:: All share a slot, making them one fighter

Since Dr.Mario, Young Link and Pichu are echoes, here are the new echoes that would be introduced

Echoes: Black Shadow (Captain Falcon), Dark Bowser (Bowser), Dark Meta Knight (Meta Knight), Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong), Shadow (Sonic) and Octoling (Inkling)

As for the other newcomers: Fawful, Geno, Midna, Sylux, Bandanna Dee, Adeleine, Krystal, Lugia, Decidueye, Viridi, Shantae, Issac and Crash Bandicoot

As for DLC: Frosmoth, Ray-Man, Skull Kid, Chun Li, Shovel Knight and Chorus Kids

All the stages from Ultimate would return, but so would Meta Crystal, Poké Floats, Rumble Falls, Rainbow Road, Pac-Maze, Yoshi's Woolly World and Orbatal Gate Assult

New Stages would include 64 Desk, Bowser's Castle, Bowser's Keep, Gangplank Galeon, Clock Tower, Castle Dedede, Alolan Tour, Wydon Stadium, Studiopolis Zone, Urchin Underpass, Scuttletown, Venus Lighthouse, the Nether and N. Sanity Island

It is still a work in progress

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
These things would be removed:
  • Spirits
  • 8-Player Smash
  • Stage Builder
  • Balloon knockback
  • Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Mii Fighters
  • Any sense of reasonable competitive balance
Small revisions and new content:
  • Numbered fighters and the "Echo Fighter" labels would be dropped. Whether or not characters are based on others, they'll be in separate slots like all the previous Smash entries.
  • Your starting roster would be determined by an Introductory Quiz asking you what your favorite genre is, which Smash Bros. game you’ve played the most, and what playstyle you favor. The fighters would be ordered by series and the some fighters or some series would be reordered whenever more DLC characters release.
  • Characters unable to make it into the base roster would return in Veteran Fighter Passes post-release. Every character comes with a stage and music as usual.
  • Tag Out would be added to Squad Strike’s options, allowing players to switch between their chosen fighters mid-battle.
  • Super Smash Maker would be added as a new mode. Reusing elements of Stage Builder, and taking notes from Super Mario Maker, it would be a mode where players create challenges for others online to complete. You could build a level with targets the player needs to break, or enemies that must be defeated, build a labyrinth of keys and doors, or just make a basic custom Race to the Finish course. Other players can only play through your level with characters that you personally manage to beat the level with. The fastest clear times would of course be displayed.
  • Surprisingly, I don't have much opinion on what newcomers would be added. I'd settle for a continuation of answering long-standing fan requests, untouched Nintendo franchises, and oddball picks like Piranha Plant and WFT.
Major overhauls:

Alt colors and Alt costumes would get a ton of love and attention. Alt costumes would be allowed to have a unique taunt, unique victory screen animation, and some weapons or projectiles they use could be reskinned; all other attributes would remain the same. Each fighter would have 4 alt colors in the base game, and more would be unlockable alongside costumes. There wouldn’t be a hard limit on how many costumes a character can have. Bowser Jr. for example: he’d have 4 of his own colors, the Koopalings as playable costumes, and even more colors of his own and even more unique appearances for the Koopalings themselves (like Mario World’s Iggy Koopa.)
The Mii Fighter system would have a big overhaul, the biggest inspiration being Emrel’s customization in Sonic Battle. Instead of selecting 3 Fighter types, you’d pick a single Weapon your Mii’s moveset would center around. Axe, Wand, Pistol, Broadsword, Gloves & Boots, Arm Cannon, and Whip for example. Existing Mii Costumes would return and you’d still be able to customize their look and voice similar to current Smashes.
Having their standard moves ripped from existing fighters who use similar weapons, you would then have full reign over their special moves, grab attack, and their unique ability (think multiple jumps or hovering.) The selections would be massive, allowing you to mix-and-match a ton of moves, some even being available for multiple weapons.
However, each customized ability would come at a cost - I’ll call them Mii Points. Powerful abilities tend to cost more, while suckier ones cost less. If you exceed a certain amount of Mii Points, your Mii Fighter will suffer drawbacks in battle; they might take additional damage from attacks or have slower movement, jumps would be lower or their shield would be weaker. You’d have to balance out the moveset through your own experimentation to find a playstyle that works best for you, but the system would definitely still be broken in the end. Weapons and attacks would be unlockable throughout the game, alongside Mii Outfits just as current games.
The main gimmick of this entry would be an overhaul to the Final Smash system. The Smash Ball and Final Smash Meter return, but the power is lowered to match the Meter-based iterations. Only the large area-based attacks and cutscenes return. Any remaining transformations are altered.
Taking inspiration from early builds of Super Smash Flash 2, every character would now have what I’ll call a Super Final Smash.
These are transformations that are now activated when the Final Smash Meter is full. They boost the character’s stats significantly and improve, or even entirely change, standard and/or special moves. Basically, they're fanmade Brawl mods brought into reality.
  • :ultmario:Mario pulls out a Fire Flower and becomes Fire Mario, giving him faster Fireballs that can be shot twice, a Super Jump Punch powered by flames, and a great amount of other buffs.
  • :ultwario:Wario regains his Wario-Man form, :ultpit:Pit brings back the Three Sacred Treasures, :ultcharizard::ultlucario:Charizard and Lucario regain their Mega forms, but this time around, they’re completely busted.
  • :ultpeach::ultdaisy:Peach and Daisy don their Striker’s gear and adopt more aggressive, physical, fighting styles.
  • :ultwiifittrainer:Wii Fit Trainer gets RIPPED from intense exercise and starts hitting so hard she causes explosions on contact.
  • :ultfox::ultfalcon:Fox and Captain Falcon would go full-on-anime-superhero and turn their respective vehicles into mecha armor, making them incredibly mobile and combo-heavy. It goes so far off the deep end and is so stupidly cheesy that it would actually work.
It'd basically be a middle finger to years of balancing, a death sentence for competitive appeal on top of the already broken Mii Fighter system, but it's so crazy, wild, and out of left field that I think I'd love it.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I made some edits to my proposal today to address more changes, and I removed the word reboot since this sequel would likely not be classified as one, and I was using the term inappropriately.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Roster: All echo fighters (and Dr. Mario, but likely not Ken) become alternate costumes of their parents. Young Link, Pichu, Piranha Plant and maybe Mii Fihters are cut, everyone else returns even if it’s through DLC. Pokémon Trainer’s Pokémon are all split up, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer all have their series symbols removed and all of them now represent the Smash Bros. series (like Mii Fighters).

Moveset changes: Darkest Lariat is now Incineroar’s side special (replacing Alolan Whip), Blaze Kick is new neutral special.

Pound is now Jigglypuff’s neutral special, replacing Rollout while Play Rough is new side special.

Feint Attack is now Greninja’s down special, with the same effects as substitute (without the doll)

Squirtle’s side special is renamed Rapid Spin, Dive is down special

Ivysaur’s neutral special is now Seed Bomb, down special is Sludge Bomb

Charizard’s down special is now Earthquake.

Meteor Mash replaces Double Team as Lucario’s down special.

Mario’s down special reverts to Mario Tornado, he gets back his Melee down aerial.

All stages are redesigned to have competitive layouts.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer all have their series symbols removed and all of them now represent the Smash Bros. series (like Mii Fighters).
I can't see them do that. It would lessen Smash as a crossover fighter and lead to less people buying their games in future retro collections and the like.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my thoughts on the next Smash game:
  • The next game is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Deluxe Edition, containing all content from the base game and (almost) all of the DLC content. I know not everyone is a huge fan of this idea, but I really think it's what would make the greatest number of people happy with the next Smash game. Unless you built heavily off Ultimate to reach a similar level of base game content, people are going to view the next Smash game as a direct downgrade from Ultimate. Likewise, even if you have enough base game content to remain comparable to Ultimate, people are still going to be salty about whatever content got removed for new characters. As such, building off Ultimate by making the next Smash game an Ultimate port seems to be the best solution to this issue. Every character, stage, and item returning from Ultimate's base game and DLC is a necessity, and bringing back as many spirits, songs, and Mii costumes as are legally feasible would be awesome.
  • A handful of new characters and stages are introduced. There needs to be some new content to get the 15 million people who previously owned Ultimate to double dip. Nintendo and Sakurai both know exactly what moves units: characters. I personally picture the number of newcomers to be between Ultimate's base game and Brawl/Smash for's base game, with approximately 5 to 6 completely new characters, 1 to 2 semi-clones, and 3 to 4 echo fighters. I have a few ideas on who could make up these characters, but I'd like to see who the final 5 fighters are in FP2 before committing to anyone in particular. In terms of stages, there would likely only be 3-4 new ones introduced. They would largely check off the same boxes as Ultimate's stages, representing new entries in major franchises and giving a stage to new characters who's series don't already have one.
  • Integrate the DLC into the base game. This is largely a nitpick, but adding little changes to make the DLC feel less like an add-on and more like a part of the original game would go a long way. This would involve doing things like making the DLC characters part of the unlock order, adding them and their spirits in World of Light, and giving their series an assist trophy.
  • Bring back Smash Run. A new mode would go a long way in an Ultimate rerelease, and I think Smash Run is an excellent option for this. Not only way the mode extremely fun on Smash for 3DS but it's a great median between developmentally demanding modes like Subspace or a full Break the Targets and minor modes that wouldn't catch many eyes like Master/Crazy Orders or Target Blast. Developing a massive map to explore and multiple mooks to fight isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it gives the player a ton of bang for their buck relative to the amount of dev time necessary to assemble such a mode. Put in local and online options (possibly with the ability to interact during the run portion if the system can handle that), and you have a great selling point for those who have already invested hundreds of hours in Ultimate.
  • Remove redundant content. Similar to how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe removed things from the Wii U version like Miiverse stamps and the old battle courses, Ultimate should generally prune itself of any content that's no longer sensible to have. This would mostly be minor things like removing old assists and spirits who have been upgraded. Once again, minor stuff, but it does add up and make a difference in the game's overall polish.
  • Making semi-significant balance changes. While stuff like changing a character's moveset seems beyond the scope of what a deluxe version of Ultimate could do, a rerelease could be the best time to change minor elements of a character's kit that really effect them. This would mostly involve things like fixing Mewtwo's hitboxes or Falcon's turnaround dash.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’m going to bump this thread since I’m curious if anyone else has any ideas for the next game.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Super Smash Bros Unlimited

The first reveal will be for Wonder Red with from the Wonderful 101. The trailer transitions from their to reveal that the base game will have 101 characters.

There's going to be some character changes. Naturally, I won't get into most of them right now.

I'm fine with the spirits, but think they need a trophy style description.

We bring back an adventure mode where characters are running through levels before they fight their opponent.
Bring back Smash run.
Have a story mode that actually has a story.

The regular adventure mode gets two bonus rounds, break the target and race to the finish, which race having multiple paths you can take you you're not always just repeating the same one.

Bring back the Miis old look. We can keep their updated look as a costume. For that matter, let's have a lot more "generic" costumes. Soldiers, zombies, school girls, cave men, etc.

Bring back the OLD ALL Star mode where you can actually heal in between battles.

Announce a new ballot. The top choice from Japan and the top choice from the West will each get a character. (If said character is feasable, certain conditions apply.)

Snake and Pit get new stage taunts for everyone.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
First thing I'd work on is an adventure mode that I could be proud of. Kind of like melee's adventure mode but with a ton of branching paths and you'd always have to go through 7 stages with a few added objectives on each stage when you play on higher difficulties.

Create Break the Targets Maker. Allow the player to create their own break the target stages and upload them online for people to challenge

For taunts... give Snake 2 more taunts, Bring back Sonic's "You're too slow", record new voice lines for Snake, Pit and anybody else that have special stage taunts.

Focus more on bringing in more Nintendo characters as newcomers (will still bring in a couple 3rd party picks though)

A Boss Raid online mode. in this Mode one or two player(s) actually controls a Boss Character like Master Hand, Duon, Giga Bowser etc, and everybody else play as regular characters and try and take them down.

Expand more on shield B and give everybody a special action they can use with it.

Bring back Smash Run

Introduce the 64-bit team re using models from the original Super Smash bros as well as creating new N64 style models for characters that weren't in the original and use them as the generic mob enemy like fighting polygons, wireframes, alloy etc

Modes from Smash Ultimate that i'd keep, Smash, Classic, training, tourney, squad strike and mob smash.

Allow people to switch characters if they want to rematch someone in online.

Allow you to send invites to friends through the game itself when you play online.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Although i find a lot of Cuts dumb i agree Young Link (any Version) is The 2nd most Important Zelda Rep
i personaly would make a Roster as Big as Ultimate but with a lot of Changes!
Smash Roster 1.png
Smash Roster 2.png

Smash roster 3.png
Smash roster 4.png

Smash roster 5.png
The Part that is at the Bottom is actually the Right Part

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
Maybe we can combine World of Light and the Subspace Emissary. Maybe we can implement spirit battles again mixed in with some classic Subspace platforming PvE. And there should be character interactions. Lots and lots of character interactions.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think Smash 6 shouldnt be Ultimate 2 nor a Reboot
Why not ultimate 2 : Not every Character needs to return some like a 3rd Link Pichu and Chrom didnt add anything in Terms of Look, Playstyle
and third Parties got a little overboard in Smash Ultimate also it isnt even called Ultimate in Japan it has the more fitting name Special
Why not Reboot: Lets say your first game was Meele and you prefferd for example "cute Link" him suddenly be gone would be dumb considirng that having 2 Links should be a no brainer and there a Less Characters you would say why should i play this!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pretty much the same as Garteam.

While at it too also bring back Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Boss Rush.

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
Pretty much the same as Garteam.

While at it too also bring back Break the Targets, Board the Platforms and Boss Rush.
Don't forget Smash Run! And maybe we can implement spirits into to... But that means we have to get rid of that item system...

Last edited:

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
I would first remove all echo fighters, To keep variety in the roster. This includes semi-clones. I would also add a feature to where you can implement your java or bedrock skin as a extra alt with java you just put in your username. With bedrock there will be a application where you can get your bedrock skin from your files and port it into smash. I would also change young link, Toon link, and Mario's final smash. Young link's will now be a transformation into fierce deity link. This lasts for about 20 seconds. It makes all attacks WAY more powerful. With Toon link his new final smash is the great sea. He hops on a boat and the sea floods the screen doing 10% damage every second. With Mario his new final smash is Cappy. He throws Cappy onto his opponent and can control them. Limited so you cant just KO them. If you try they get teleported back to the stage and you get auto KO'd So.... don't try to do that. And that's it!

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to imagine myself making a more ambitious game than Ultimate, so rather than surpassing it I think I would aim to make an alternative with a smaller and more grounded selection of characters and tailoring it to let those characters express as much personality as possible

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Project M gameplay and level of moveset fidelity but with Ultimate's roster plus Waluigi and Jibanyan.

That's all there is to it.

Project M just fixes alot of issues I and many others have with Ultimate with Ness and Yoshi requiring an actual skill ceiling, Wario being satisfying to play as, Sonic being far less obnoxious, recovery being less free, etc.

Even if it means reusing Subspace Emissary or making a proper Subspace Emissary 2 instead of whatever the unholy fusion of Events and Customs that World of Light tried to be, I'd be all the happier.

Project M also has plenty of legal stage variety without just making everything Omega or Battlefield as well.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
A more robust single player that's actually fun. WoL is a slog and the map isn't fun to navigate. Give me something like a hybrid between Melee Adventure and SSE, and we're golden! I'd love to see this sort of thing better-realized, with enemies to fight from nearly every franchise (rather than just a few) + Smash original ones. If they have to make a lot of roster cuts, that's one way they could make up for it. Especially if they designed ~20 minute campaigns for each character.

Individualized Break the Targets for each character would also be a huge thing to bring back. I think such a thing could be feasible if they went with a 50-or-so character roster. And if more newcomers came via DLC, they could get their own BTT stages instead of Spirit Boards. And having them as DLC would give the team more time to make BTT stages for them. Alternatively, add a BTT maker as a part of Stage Builder and let the fans do the work for you!

I'm not sure if more robust single-player content would entirely make up for if they end up having to cut a lot of characters. But it would definitely help and be a big draw.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's what mine would be.
Base Roster
-Bandana Dee (Kirby)
-Waluigi (Assist to Fighter)
-Poochy (Yoshi)
-Excitebiker (Excitebiker)
-Shake King (Wario)
-Ganon (Zelda, the big blue pig)
-Sceptile (Pokemon)
-Kraid (Metroid)
-King Boo (Mario)
-Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
-Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
-Vivi Ornitier (Final Fantasy)

DLC Fighters
Pack 1: (Nintendo reps)
1. Toad (Mario)
2. Dark Matter (Kirby)
3. Hades (Kid Icarus)
4. Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
5. Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
6. Doshin (Doshin the Giant)

Pack 2: (Third Party reps)
1. Amaterasu (Okami)
2. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
3. Henry Stickmin (The HS Collection)
4. Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
5. Wobbler (Totally Accurate Battle Sim)
6. Heavy (Team Fortress)
7. Camo (Skylanders)
8. Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)

New Mii Fighters
-Clobber (Wields a large hammer like Dedede)
-Wrecker (Has a ball and chain to swing around)
-Gamer (Uses Nintnedo consoles to attack with)
-Athlete (Has sports equipment to fight with, based on Wii Sports/Resort)
-Animal (Runs around on fours and attacks, being animalistic and bestial)

New Echo Fighters
-Dry Bowser (Echo of Bowser)
-Lord Fredrik (Echo of K. Rool)
-Boshi (Echo of Yoshi)
-Galacta Knight (Echo of Meta Knight)
-King D-Mind (Echo of Dedede)
-Raichu (Echo of Pikachu)
-Hilda (Echo of Zelda)
-Mecha Sonic (Echo of Sonic)
-Medusa (Echo of Palutena)
-Jeanne (Echo of Bayonetta)
New Stages:
-Bowser's Castle (Mario)
-Mine Cart Carnage (Donkey Kong)
-Death Mountain (Zelda)
-Generator Shaft (Metroid)
-Rail Yard Run (Yoshi)
-Castle Dedede (Kirby)
-Forever Train (Star Fox)
-Eternatus (Pokemon)
-Last Resort (Luigi's Mansion)
-Giygas (Earthbound)
-Phantom Road (F-ZERO)
-Stonecarving City (Wario Land)
-City Escape (Sonic)
-Route 666 (Bayonetta)
-Tetris (Tetris)

DLC Stages:
-Subcon (Mario)
-Void Termina (Kirby)
-The Underworld (Kid Icarus)
-Sanderson House (Chibi-Robo)
-Blossom City (Wonderful 101)
-Barudo Shores (Doshin the Giant)
-Ark of Yamato (Okami)
-Space Time Rifts (Crash Bandicoot)
-Toppat Airship (Henry Stickmin)
-Craftworld (Little Big Planet)
-Legacy (Totally Accurate Battle Simulator)
-2Fort (Team Fortress)
-Core of Light (Skylanders)
-Time Factory (Blinx the Time Sweeper)

Returning Stages:
-Meta Crystal (64)
-Pokefloats (Melee)
-Kongo Falls (Brawl)
-Pac-Maze (Wii U/3DS)
-Kirby uses more of his Copy Abilities instead of just kicks, new Final Smash is Star Allies Sparkler
-Dedede can now talk, same with Meta Knight, Donkey, Diddy and K. Rool
-Wario's entire moveset is redesigned to represent the Land games
-Luigi uses his Poltergust more for his moveset
-Sonic gets Light Speed Dash as his Side-B
-Yoshi gains a tether recovery with his tongue as well having Dragon Wings, his new Up-B
-Ganon is same thing as Wario but with more magic and darkness to represent Ganon's boss fights
-Mario gets the Cap Throw as his Side B, as well having the T-Rex as his new Final Smash
-Samus's moveset is redesigned to respect the games (Missile types and stuff.)
-Young and Toon Links get new moveset representing their games
-Donkey Kong is more laidback and cartoony and gets a new moveset overhaul
-Transformation Final Smashes return for Bowser and Little Mac
Returning:
Porky (Returning from Brawl)
Petey Piranha (Back from Brawl)
Rayquaza (Returning from Brawl but has it's Mega Evolution in Phase 2)
Tabuu (Returns from Brawl as well with more new attacks)
Master Core (Back from Wii U/3DS with new forms like Scorpion, Hydra and Dragon)

New:
Titan Dweevil (Pikmin)
Lord of Lightning (Mario)
Zero Two (Kirby)
Dark Emperor (Stage Hazard to Boss)
Necrozma (Turns into it's Ultra form for Phase 2.)
Metal Gear REX (Metal Gear)
Egg Dragoon (Sonic)
Fatalis (Monster Hunter)
A fusion of Galeem and Dharkon
Boss Battles
Smash Run
Story Mode (Something like Subspace and Melee's Adventure Mode mashed together)
Break the Targets
Smash Tour
Kaptain/Baron/Krusha (K. Rool)
Masked Dedede (Dedede)
Tuxedo/Dark Bowser (Bowser)
Wedding Peach (Peach)
Orange and White colours (Yoshi)
Shiny Forms (All Pokemon including Sceptile)
Mr. L (Luigi)
Pyjamas (Ness)
Wario's Disguises (Wario)
Outset Island (Toon Link)
Evil Ryu (Ryu)
Violent Ken (Ken)
Also better online system.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Heres How i would Redesign Link/Classic Link

LINK:
Costumes(with Voice and Weapon Changes)
Colors: Green, Red , Blue and Oni
Colors Green, Blue, Dark
Depends on next Game Maybe Armor?
Movest Changes:
Hookshot return looks like Clawsot witth TP design
Gale Boomerang returns
Bow and Arrow work like in Ultmate
Bombs work like in Ultimate loking like this For TP/OOT Link=

Forward Smash=Hammer

Classic Link:
uses Mirror Shield / Koholint Sword

Gains Swordbeam with full health
Dash attack=Pegasus Boots
Boomerang=Magic Boomerang Works like in Seasons
Bow and Arrow= Fire ArRows or Bomb Arrows
Bombs are carried over the Head
Up B= Tornado Rod
Smash atacks=Spin Attack
Hookshot is replaced with Switch Hook= You grab your opponent from left you are then on the Right Vice Versa

Otoad64

Smash Lord
So, if I were to make the next smash bros I wouldn't focus on the roster, but rather the variety of modes, including a subspace style story mode
It would be a half reboot of sorts, with all new stages and revamped characters

so, It would be a mix of subspace and melee's adventure mode.
the story would be that master hand and crazy hand are basically the gods of the multiverse, it's their job to keep the balance,
but then the place they reside (let's go with final destination) is attacked by a new villain (let's say tabuu) so tabuu defeats the hands and takes over final destination, and he then summons different villains from different dimensions and sends them to other dimensions
so in the first level, you play as :ultmario::ultluigi:, in the mushroom kingdom, which is being invaded by zelda enemies
after the level, you fight a dodongo boss fight, the zelda monsters kidnap :ultpeach:, and a portal appears infront of :ultmario::ultluigi:, and they go to the kirby dimension, you then play a kirby level as :ultkirby:, and fight against metroid enemies, afterwards, you catchup with :ultmario::ultluigi:, who meet :ultmetaknight:, and fight a kraid boss
and thats the basic idea, also, the characters (that can) would speak full sentences

Smash 6.png

Super Mario
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach: Toad:ultyoshi::ultbowser:

Donkey Kong
:ultdk::ultdiddy: Dixie Kong :ultkrool:

Wario Land/Ware
:ultwario:

Zelda

:ultlink::ultzelda:Impa:ultganondorf::ultyounglink:

Pokemon
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultcharizard::ultgreninja: and Sceptile) :ultjigglypuff: Meowth

Kirby
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight:Bandana Waddle Dee :ultkingdedede:

Metroid
:ultsamus::ultridley:

Star Fox
:ultfox::ultwolf:

F-Zero

:ultfalcon:

Mother
:ultness:

Fire Emblem

:ultrobin::ultike:Black Knight

Kid Icarus
:ultpit:

Pikmin
:ultolimar:

Animal Crossing
:ultisabelle:
Islander (replaces :ultvillager:)

Xenoblade
:ultshulk:

Splatoon
:ultinkling:

ARMS
:ultminmin

Ring Fit Adventure

Ring Fit Trainee

Astral Chain
Officer Howard

Chibi-Robo!
Chibi-Robo

Rhythm Heaven
Karate Joe

Game & Watch
:ultgnw:

Ice Clmber
:ulticeclimbers:

MII
:ultmiifighters:

Sonic the Hedgehog
:ultsonic:

Crash Bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot

Super Smash Bros
Tabuu

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultyoshi::ultpeach:Toad:ultdk::ultdiddy:Dixie Kong:ultsonic: and Crash's footstools all deal damage

:ultmario:'s footstools spike
is more expressive, less angry
has a moveset overhaul that get's rid of obscure abilities like FLUDD and the cape in favor of ones like cappy,pow block,tanooki tail and hammer
:ultdoc: is now a costume

:ultluigi: now permanently has poltergust, has a more accurate personality and has more moves centered around luigi's mansion

:ultpeach: has more accurate personality and has a moveset overhaul taking more from Super Princess Peach

:ultbowser: has more accurate personality and has a moveset overhaul so he now uses his minions for certain attacks, as well as attacks from Bowser's Inside Story, and projectiles, like Fireballs and Hammers

:ultdk::ultdiddy:get overhauled specials, and act more like their canon selves

:ultwario: gets a more accurate personality and a moveset that takes equally from Land and Ware

:ultlink: :ultzelda: get moveset overhauls, using more BOTW based movesets (:ultzelda: also has her BOTW design)

:ultyounglink: now has his ALBTW design

:ultganondorf: gets a full moveset overhaul

:ultsamus: has a moveset overhaul, making more use of

:ultwolf: is decloned with a greater focus on physical attacks

:ultpikachu: uses more existing moves

:ultjigglypuff: uses fairy type moves

:ultkirby: uses a wider aray of copy abilities

:ultkingdedede: has his side special from brawl
and his final smash is now macho dedede

:ultness: using more movesthat he actually uses, and he no longer uses his fists for attacks, instead using his baseball bat

:ultpit: has his brawl final smash

:ultinkling: focuses more on terrain control

:ultmiifighters: would get rid of mii types, instead just having one super customizable type

:ultsonic: has a complete moveset overhaul and has his old brawl taunts

Giga Bowser
Dino Piranha
KAOS
Ganon
Dodongo
Rayquaza/Mega Rayquaza
Marx Soul
Kracko
Kraid
Andross
Porky
Hades
Plasm Wraith
Metal Face
DJ Octavio
Dragaux
Death Egg Robot
Dr. Neo Cortex
Master Hand(Classic Mode Only)
Crazy Hand(Classic Mode Only)
Tabuu

The game would have mostly new stages

New Stages
Battlefield
Final destination
a new Mushrom Kingdom that is a sidescroller styled after the NSMB games
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road (based on the mk8 ver of mk64)
100m
Bramble Blast
Hyrule Field
Kokiri Forest
Temple of Souls
Cerulean Gym
Viridian Forest
Rocket Hideout
Thrifty Megamart
Green Gardens
Castle Dedede
Dangerous Dinner
Ceres Space Colony
Temple Grounds
Underworld
Impact Site
Horizon Island
Inkopolis
Ramen Bowl
Beginnia
Desk
Chemical Plant
N. Sanity Beach

Returning Stages
Luigi's Mansion
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Hijinx
Skyloft
Prism Tower
The Halberd
Planet Zebes
Corneria
Mute City (Melee)
Onett
Castle Siege
Summit
Gaur Plain
Meta Crystal

Smash Ball
Fake Smash Ball
Beam Sword
Cracker Launcher
Home-Run Bat
Party Ball
Mega Mushroom (Replaces Super Mushroom)
Mini Mushroom (Replaces Poison Mushroom)
1-up Mushroom
Fire Flower (Actually Shoots Fireballs)
Ice Flower
Super Star
Koopa Shell
Bob-Omb
Kuribo's Shoe
Metal Box
Hammer
Barrel
Barrel Cannon
Spring
Cucco
Remote Bomb
Heart Conatainer
Bunny Hood
Deku Nut
Repel
Voltorb
Maxim Tomato
Warp Star
Dragoon
Parasol
Screw Attack
Smart Bomb
Mr. Saturn
Killing Edge
X Bomb
Hocotate Bomb
Beehive
Pitfall Seed
Flipper
Lip's Stick
Unira
NES Zapper
Super Scope

You may have noticed I didn't mention assist trophies or pokeballs, that's because they are being changed to work like traditional fighting games, you build up a meter, and summon one of your choice

Hammer Bro
Lakitu
Klaptrap
Tingle
Octorok
Garchomp
Scizor
Adeline
Dark Samus
Arwing
Samurai Goroh
Jeff
Lyn
Magnus
Burrowing Snagret
Kapp'n
Riki
Spring Man
Barbara
Dr. Wright
Excitebikes
Jill
Starfy
Nikki
Arcade Bunny
Knuckles
Pinstripe

So, I would focus on having a good variety of modes

Smash

Special

Squad Strike

Smashdown

Tourney
all of these would have online play

Smash Run
you would be able to interact with other players on the map
(would also have online play)

Home Run Contest

Classic Mode
Same as in Ultimate, but with target test and board the platforms, also, some characters would have upgraded classic routes

Story Mode

Event Mode

All Star Mode
back to normal

Multi-Man Smash
Would now bring back the polygon team

Stage Builder

Trophy Board
pretty much same as spirit board but you get trophies instead

Trophies would return

Challenges would of course remain

Sounds would return but obviously with more music

the shop would be overhauled, instead of having a select set of things you can buy that changes everyday, you would now have everything available, also, you can now purchase extra costumes

Pit has a Palutena's guidance for every character

Masterpieces return with a wider variety of games that you can play for longer

The Chronicle returns because why the heck not

Give it dedicated servers and minimize lag

get rid of GSP

make it so you don't have to get out of line to change your character in online mode

fix prefered rules

basically just make it not suck

Attachments

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Probably do alot similar to what the previous have said. But, I would do 5 important things to me.

A: Focus more on "The Fight" than anything else. Make it play as good as Project M.

B: Only ONE Fighting Character per IP. The roster needs a tuned-up refresh and little to no filler. Save that for...

C: Character Variations. Something similar in Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2. It can be a different take on an existing fighter or a new fighter related to the old fighter, Kinda like Zelda/Shiek, Samus Aran(Brawl), & the Pokemon Trainer. Up to 4 shares one roster slot.

D: The Final Smash System. Instead of just one single "Final Smash," I suggest something like 3 "Super Smashes," which will work like traditional games like Street Fighter Alpha.

E: Third Party everything will only be reserved for updates and DLC. Not in the base roster!

That's all I could think of for the moment.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Probably do alot similar to what the previous have said. But, I would all 4 important things to me.

A: Focus more on "The Fight" than anything else. Make it play as good as Project M.

B: Only ONE Fighting Character per IP. The roster needs a tuned-up refresh and little to no filler. Save that for...

C: Character Variations. Something similar in Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2. It can be a different take on an existing fighter or a new fighter related to the old fighter, Kinda like Zelda/Shiek, Samus Aran(Brawl), & the Pokemon Trainer. Up to 4 shares one roster slot.

D: The Final Smash System. Instead of just one single "Final Smash," I suggest something like 3 "Super Smashes," which will works like traditional games like Street Fighter Alpha.

E: Third Party everything will only be reserved for updates and DLC. Not in the base roster!

Not sure about the combination of B and C. I'd rather have Luigi than a variation of Mario - unless Luigi counts as a variation? Even so, I think Bowser and Peach would be nicer than, say, Dr Mario, Builder Mario and Metal Mario.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Probably do alot similar to what the previous have said. But, I would all 4 important things to me.

D: The Final Smash System. Instead of just one single "Final Smash," I suggest something like 3 "Super Smashes," which will works like traditional games like Street Fighter Alpha.

If I was stuck with a fighter per franchise (it is a cool idea since it does give variety, even if I’ll miss important side characters), this would be my roster:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultfalcon::ultness::ulticeclimbers:(:ultike:/:ultrobin: depending if I want to be more biased)
:ultgnw::ultpit::ultwario::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultlittlemac:
:ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultinkling:Ring Fit Trainee:ultminmin
DLC: :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultcloud::ultsteve:
If I had to add more fighters, :ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:, Isaac, Andy, Karate Joe, Chibi Robo would also be added.
Since I wouldn’t want to completly scrap :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultisabelle:: Important villains and side characters would become assist trophies.

Top Bottom