• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Would You Design the Next SSB Sequel?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Because Smash shouldn't become a stagnant series that improves only by adding more content instead of tweaking what's already there.
i mean Tweaking Content doesnt require a Reboot and Crossover Fighting Games rarely reboot and even if there was a Reboot we should expect there to be atleast 70Characters in it

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
i mean Tweaking Content doesnt require a Reboot and Crossover Fighting Games rarely reboot and even if there was a Reboot we should expect there to be atleast 70Characters in it
Smash doesn't need to have a massive amount of characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
i mean its sorta the main appeal considering that Casual Fighting Games often times have gigantic roster for Example Anime Arena Fighters
I expect a much smaller roster for the next game. Sakurai made a point that "Everyone is here" is unlikely to ever happen again.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
personally I think there's no harm in downscaling, especially if it means the old characters will get meaningful upgrades
Yeah. It would, and Ultimate will still exist for people to play. I honestly think that Ultimate will become an evergreen title in the competitive community like Melee is.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah. It would, and Ultimate will still exist for people to play. I honestly think that Ultimate will become an evergreen title in the competitive community like Melee is.
But this would only work if they keep rereleasing it (best with additional conten BANDANA DEE)
if not than it will get pretty hard to get it and a Problem are all the Companies involved

The Best Way is to release after Ultimate 2 Smash Games per Generation
One being a Sequel that cuts Fat and Some Third Parties and adds Newcomers like Bandana Dee,Impa and Many more featuring a similar ammount of Content to Ultimate
while making a spinoff in the Style of Games like Guilty Gear/Fighterz focusing on Quality over Quantity but this ONLY works if theres either an Enhanced Remaster of Ultimate or a NORMAL sequel

Otoad64

Smash Lord
But this would only work if they keep rereleasing it (best with additional conten BANDANA DEE)
if not than it will get pretty hard to get it and a Problem are all the Companies involved

The Best Way is to release after Ultimate 2 Smash Games per Generation
One being a Sequel that cuts Fat and Some Third Parties and adds Newcomers like Bandana Dee,Impa and Many more featuring a similar ammount of Content to Ultimate
while making a spinoff in the Style of Games like Guilty Gear/Fighterz focusing on Quality over Quantity but this ONLY works if theres either an Enhanced Remaster of Ultimate or a NORMAL sequel
if the melee community can do it, the ultimate community can

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Sounds fun. I personally think an enhanced port of Ultimate would fit better. I’ll outline some main draws I think would work for that.

Some Characters are given small but meaningful updates.
DK gets a Barrel special, Replace Marios Side and Down special, let Samus stay in the morph ball and Change beam types, Give Ganon new Up, Down, and neutral specials, ect

All Ultimate characters return, DLC are now base game.
13 new characters, of which 3 are echos. 101 characters total (thats the selling point)
10 New characters: Issac (Golden Sun), Skull Kid (LoZ), New IP character, New Gen Pokemon, Xenoblade Character, Porky (Earthbound), Waluigi (You know), Bandana Dee (Kirby), Tabuu (Smash Brawl), Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
3 Echos: Miles Edgeworth for Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney), Shadow for Sonic (Sonic), Impa for Sheik (LoZ)
These seem like simple picks that would match Ultimates cycle of Mostly 1st party with an extra 3rd party franchise as the big point.
Some extra DLC passes are cool but that’d take a lot of writing so use your imagination.

11 extra stages, adding up to 125. Bigger emphasis on new stage mechanics (like KoF) and unique but fun layouts.
New Stages: Golden Sun Stage (never played the series), Termina Clock Tower (Majoras Mask), New IP stage, Subspace (Smash Brawl), Courtroom (Ace Attorney)
Returning Stages: Poke Floats (Melee), Pictochat 1(Brawl), Orbital Gate Assault (Wii U), Jungle Hijinx (Wii U), Rainbow Road (3DS), Pac Maze (3DS),
Of course other parts of the game need to be updated, that being better netcode and fixing the buffer system, thats the big stuff, but some other systems could use a tweeking.
Nothing too spectacular, just a boss rush and Proper All Star mode. I’m very disappointed Ultimate doesn’t already have these modes TBH.
And lastly, a big new campaign.
Following Galeem and Dharkons defeat, Sephiroth goes back in time to just after the roster gets Obliterated and Kills both Galeem and Dharkon himself (like in his trailer). He restores and recruits villains like Ridley, Ganon, and Bowser to hunt down Kirby. And we go through Subspace and Melee style platforming stages while Kirby goes about restoring and recruiting fighters to stop the villains from taking over everything. I don’t think this is too hard as this is where most of the dev time will be going. Last thing, a secret boss fight utilizing Tabuu would be cool, beating the fight unlocks Tabuu in the regular smash mode
This is very ambitious and probably won’t even be close to what happens if Ultimate gets ported but its fun to think about.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
the Problem is that Nintendo looks far more in Emulation than they used too also Smash Ultimate is the objectivly the best Smash Game right now Meele on the other hand is probably one of the worst (in a Casual sense)
i agree that ultimate is the best one and melee is one of the worst, but what does that have to do with anything? also they don't need to emulate it, the only reason melee was emulated was because melee lacks online. ultimate may lack good online but it still has online, also by the time the next smash bros comes out they won't need to do it online because they can just do it locally
Þe 1 → Way said:
13 new characters, of which 3 are echos. 100 characters total (thats the selling point)
actually that's 101 or 99 fighters, depending on wether youc aount pkmn trainer as 1 or 3

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
considiring that Poke Floats Was Rushed as Hell heck they arent even Floats i think a Poke Floats 2 makes more sense
Thats fine too, really just that people really want some form of poke floats.
actually that's 101 or 99 fighters, depending on wether youc aount pkmn trainer as 1 or 3
My math is always just a little off lmao. I see Pokemon trainer as three fighters so 101 would be the selling point, that still works pretty well.

Lioncache

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
LION#321
i would make big battlefield bigger and also give dr mario an actual ph.d that he displays during his taunt

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
In terms of the roster going forward, I do hope they can continue to build upon Ultimate (all characters return) because after all, the "Everyone is Here" has proven to be a success.

Top Bottom