• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you all feel about a potential Impa Echo?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With the fact they are gonna do Echo newcomers, I feel that Sheik having a Echo in the form of Impa becomes increasingly likely.

Already threw in a few changes I'd apply to Sheik's general moveset, whilst still being the same animations.

Neutral B: Kunai Throw. A singular projectile of Impa throwing a single kunai with a similar animation to Sheik's Needle Storm. Simple but fast projectile that's good for zoning and dealign quick damage, and being a combo starter of sorts.

Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut that stuns enemies on impact. Does rather low damage, but great hitstun that allows for easy follow ups.

Alternative Side B: Magical Orb. Impa throws a magical orb attack similar to the one in a Skyward Sword cutscene that has a good blast range, and good damage, but is lacking in range. Can also be charged up slightly to increase range. Deals about 11~13%.

Up B: Vanish. Nothing different here.

Down B: Bouncing Fish, But Different ; Impa becomes invisible for this move, and can charge it up to gain power and a little distance. The attack is quite similar in concept to Meta Knight's Down B, and Greninja's Shadow Sneak, but with the animation of Sheik's Bouncing Fish.

I would also suggest Impa to be a little more power based than Sheik, and therefore a little slower as well. Think of a similar approach to say, Melee Fox and Falco, but with Impa being a little faster than Falco anyway. She also has slightly longer limbs, so that would mean Impa probably has a little more range to her attacks.

What would Sheik mains think of a character like this? Give her a go?

Mushguy

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'd rather have her in her own playable slot, as there are still some questions that remain unanswered in regard to transformations: Will they return? If so, as a custom move, or as a taunt? And why, of all people, is she representing Breath of the Wild? Unless...

And besides, knowing who Sheik technically really is, that's more reason for Impa to have her own spot.

Last edited:

PrincesInPink~VictorF

Smash Rookie
NNID
VictorF8
3DS FC
3411-2109-6568
Switch FC
SW 6944-2446-3012
I think her being an echo or even getting her own spot is a very possible chance however I don't know if they do Skyward Sword impa rather than breath of the Wild impa

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Impa be a little more unique than an echo fighter. I do think she should be similar to Sheik as in the way Fox and Falco were similar in Melee where they had some similar moves and many moves had different trajectories make them unique from each other. I'm not a huge fan of echo fighters in general as a rule. With the exception of maybe vs Sonic/Sheik I think Marth is always a better character than Lucina was and I fear that's kind of how things could turn out if the characters were echoes or even just similar (like how sm4sh Mario is leaps and bounds better than Dr Mario). But I do love playing Sheik bc I love the fast movement and technical play she demands. So even if it became restricted to an echo I'd still view it as a really good sign. Plus, Sheik as an actual character doesn't have a lot of merit in the current generation of characters. She's sorta obsolete to an extent as far as relevance. So including Impa as an echo could help to ensure that if smash 6 comes out and doesn't try to include everyone we will still have a Sheik-like character still to fill the void. Plus if they wanted to try to make Zelda and Sheik into one character again then they could. Tho I'd hate to lose bouncing fish as Sheik but maybe if Zelda isn't a garbage character you could transform for more KO power. I don't think that's happening for sma5h but I personally wouldn't mind it. =)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Before Ultimate revealed a ton of characters, my brother and I would talk about how Sakurai should remove Toon Link, and replaced Sheik with Impa, since neither of those characters truly are relevant to the current Zelda game. Sheik would need a slight move set overhaul to diffrentiate herself from Impa, that way it wouldn't be Sheik, but with the name Impa slapped over it. I know that would just upset people, because people are used to Sheik being in Smash. But she's only been in one Zelda game, unless you want to include Hyrule Warriors. I'd prefer no Echo characters for Ultimate, especially since Y. Link returned, and now we've got three Link's.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So I voted for Impa in the Smash Ballot, specifically her Hyrule Warriors incarnation because I thought a combo character would be neat (little did I know....) As much as I would love for her to be her own character with the naginata, I would still be very much okay with her as a Sheik echo. It fits within canon because Sheik had to learn her technique from somewhere, and Impa’s probably the most primminent character in Zelda to not be in Smash yet. Personally I would hope that Impa’s design would give us a Zelda rep from Skyward Sword or that awesome HW outfit that was a cross between SS and OoT.

I am operating on a couple of assumptions, namely that custom moves are scrapped (because of Palutena’s changes) and that Zelda and Sheik are staying separate (because Pokemon Trainer is a composite but Zelda is not). If I’m right and customs are gone, I have a feeling some of the better ones will make it onto echo fighters. I could see Impa getting Paralyzing Needle to set her apart, and maybe a couple of the other ones too, essentially giving her the Dark Pit treatment.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't terribly interested but since she is an echo fighter, no big deal. They are just cherries on top.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I would have preferred Impa replace Sheik, but I;d be fine with her as an Echo.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah I'd much prefer Impa to be a unique character rather than an echo. I dunno why but she just doesn't strike me as a Sheik-style fighter for some reason, maybe Hyrule Warriors has something to do with that where they definitely played incredibly differently. I certainly wouldn't mind it if Impa took on her Hyrule Warriors design for that matter. I mean, Sheik's design is already largely original, she's never appeared this way in any game (and yes I know she's wearing BotW's stealth armor, but Sheik herself still never appears like that), so I think Impa representing Hyrule Warriors could make sense when you keep that in mind. Besides, there's no reason a character can't represent a non-canon spin-off especially now that the Zelda characters mostly represent a different Zelda game altogether now, and Hyrule Warriors certainly gives her plenty to base her moveset off of. I actually really, really would love this incarnation of Impa to appear in Smash as an original character honestly, she'd also be the first non-Triforce bearing character from the Zelda series to be playable which I think is a plus as well.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Impa definitely should not be an e-fighter. She strikes me more as a power house attack girl (depending on her version. I'm assuming it would be Hyrule Warriors version). If this is the case, her weaponry, the Giant Blade and Naginata, does not match Sheik's hand to hand combat style. Besides, Sheik is not actually Sheikah whereas Impa is. I know it could be argued that Sheik was likely trained by Impa, but their fighting styles still seem to clash. Therefore it would be safe to assume that her fighting style would be different. The real question we should be asking is, if Impa was revealed at some point, which version should it be? Call me crazy, But BotW Impa would be great :p .

Rizen

Smash Legend
Alternate costume, yes. Echo fighter, no. Smash has enough clones already. IMO Lucina and Dark Pit should have been costumes too. ...Dark Pit is also a pit costume, weird.

Neutral B: Kunai Throw. A singular projectile of Impa throwing a single kunai with a similar animation to Sheik's Needle Storm. Simple but fast projectile that's good for zoning and dealign quick damage, and being a combo starter of sorts.

Side B: Deku Nut. Impa throws a Deku Nut that stuns enemies on impact. Does rather low damage, but great hitstun that allows for easy follow ups.

Alternative Side B: Magical Orb. Impa throws a magical orb attack similar to the one in a Skyward Sword cutscene that has a good blast range, and good damage, but is lacking in range. Can also be charged up slightly to increase range. Deals about 11~13%.

Up B: Vanish. Nothing different here.

Down B: Bouncing Fish, But Different ; Impa becomes invisible for this move, and can charge it up to gain power and a little distance. The attack is quite similar in concept to Meta Knight's Down B, and Greninja's Shadow Sneak, but with the animation of Sheik's Bouncing Fish.
Great moveset ideas, don't forget that sweet barrier ;) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJBMUyekvhk

Would be a great down B, if she could have less agility and more power (as you pointed out) they could get rid of the Bouncing fish.

Your idea of an more powerful echo reminds me when Ganondorf was introduce in Melee, he was Captain Falcon's echo alright but with way more power (and less speed of course).

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd rather have Impa than Sheik.... I may have already said that somewhere.

Hyrule warriors Shiek would be preferrable, but I'm open to other opinions.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Sounds reasonable to be a Sheik echo. Maybe she could act as a combination of Sheik and Zelda to some extent.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Ever since skyward sword I felt you could replace sheik with impa but give her sheiks moveset with impa inspired alterations.

But now that sheik is confirmed back impa as a echo would be just fine in my books.

She is without a doubt the most relevent and reoccuring character in Zelda outside of the three triforce wielders.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ever since skyward sword I felt you could replace sheik with impa but give her sheiks moveset with impa inspired alterations.

But now that sheik is confirmed back impa as a echo would be just fine in my books.

She is without a doubt the most relevent and reoccuring character in Zelda outside of the three triforce wielders.
This was my opinion as well honestly. I was advocating the replacement of Sheik by Impa ever since Skyward Sword. Impa's role is overall more important than Sheik's and she actualy has unique abilities of her own.

Sheik's return made me realise she got staying power though, and Impa inheriting her moves while Sheik being cut had naught but a chance. A semi-clone based on Skyward Sword was the ideal then.

Hyrule Warriors happend and suddenly gave Impa so much to work with. I still hope to see her in Ultimate like this, but with Echoes being there and chances of unique newcomers being seeimingly limited to only the most popular picks, Impa being a Echo is the most likely scenario. And am fine with it now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here, and with how many Zelda amiibo there are, it's weird that there aren't any HW amiibo. Especially since that game is a big cash cow all over with all the DLC it ever got. Wish Smash got as much as that honestly. :laugh:

Anyway, Impa is always regarded as one of the most wanted, expected, and likely Echoes. Let us hope this will come to reality!

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I want Impa pretty bad, and she is a HEAVILY rumored DLC character, but I have also heard that Sakurai apparently said there will not be any more echo fighters recently (even though with the lifespan I am hoping this game has, I hope that will change, as...the more the merrier!)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want Impa pretty bad, and she is a HEAVILY rumored DLC character, but I have also heard that Sakurai apparently said there will not be any more echo fighters recently (even though with the lifespan I am hoping this game has, I hope that will change, as...the more the merrier!)
Is she really that heavily rumoured? By which sources? Haven't been around for long so...

Top Bottom