• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would the meta-game change?

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link would rise like crazy.

MK's the heaviest thing that's holding him down, and without him, only Snake and Falco are gonna really hold him down, but it won't even be by that much.
Biased post is biased.

Steam

Smash Hero
I think lucario would rise dood.
Metaknight wasn't his worst matchup, but lets be honest, its much easier to play metaknight then it is snake so I doubt there will be that many good snakes that can take out decent lucario mains.

Just threaten to counter pick DDD against other DDDs. Its so gay, most DDDs outright refuse to do it. =p
It's not that lucario would get worse, it's that the others would get so much better.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Diddy kong would not be #1 if mk was banned. Idk why diddy is 2 on the tier list. Diddy has a disadvantage against every character on battlefield in my opinion, that would stop him from being #1. I predict with meta bannned, that all the characters who has an even match up with meta knight will go lower on the tier lists and the characters who has a bad match up with meta knight would be higher.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I'd have a flawless countering pair with my Ness and D3. There would be literally no MU in which my Ness gets bodied that D3 can't pick up.

Oh, meta-game.

Diddy would be highest with the top tier, but most people would need to dedicate some time to getting down the basics of diddy.
Snake's the same-ish... Might be brought down a bit due to other characters becoming more viable.
Wario would get a tiny boost but still be a bit low due to the GR stuff.
Marth would rise from the migration of MKs to Marth.
ICs may have a bigger chance at tourneys.
D3 will become better by a bunch, but the bulkiness of him will still drag him down.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Does anyone think Zelda would move up a little (maybe over samus) with mk banned?

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Why does anyone care what the Metagame would be like without MetaKnight? All the top placing Metaknight players would switch to new mains, the ones like Ally who already have one would probably retain their spots. This whole "there would be a large influx of X cause X is his wose MU and X is only there cause he does well to MK" thing makes no sense. The best players in the world will still be the best, will still place well better then everyone else etc. regardless of bad Matchups. You don't see Ally losing to random D3's that often, do you? It would only affect the non-top players and the ones that play MK. The only change it would have to the top players metagame would be the current Mk-mains would have to adapt or place lower, and the current non-MK mains would place higher.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Why does anyone care what the Metagame would be like without MetaKnight? All the top placing Metaknight players would switch to new mains, the ones like Ally who already have one would probably retain their spots. This whole "there would be a large influx of X cause X is his wose MU and X is only there cause he does well to MK" thing makes no sense. The best players in the world will still be the best, will still place well better then everyone else etc. regardless of bad Matchups. You don't see Ally losing to random D3's that often, do you? It would only affect the non-top players and the ones that play MK. The only change it would have to the top players metagame would be the current Mk-mains would have to adapt or place lower, and the current non-MK mains would place higher.
M2K would switch to D3, since he already has experience with him. If he does, he would likely get, for lack of a better word, wrecked, by the number of Falco's. Ally wouldn't have much trouble initially, because Marth's and D3's are few, but over time, he'd run into serious trouble. Pikachu mains would be a slight bit rarer and place lower due to more Marth mains.
My point is that the best won't remain the best entirely. A few non-MK mains will actually have worse placing, in all likelihood. Although with Ally's ability to seemingly pull secondaries out of his ***, Ally probably will stay on top. Pretty much everyone will need a secondary, though.

Judo777

Smash Master
I do however see Ally losing to MK's that aren't half his skill level. Or I did before he switched to MK.........................

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
No matter the influx of the characters, I still see most of the top players winning. It's their job to know their bad matchups, and since they're the top players, I doubt they'd lose to just any influx of character. For example, ADHD. I heard somewhere Jiggly beats Diddy (In this one counterpick thread, where you get more points if you win using low tiers. It's old. Maybe the Diddy main just didn't like the MU idk this is just for an example) so let's just say MK ***** Jiggly. Which he probably does. So a lot more Jigglies pop up. ADHD is far better then the average player of the Jiggly influx, so shouldn't he be able to beat them? If not, then the MU must be really bad, so why don't people just counterpick Jiggs against him? If an influx of characters played by average people is able to upset the balance of the top players, then shouldn't people just be able to counterpick those characters right now?

I'm kinda wording this weird. Basically, If random scrubs who place higher cause their character sucks against MK, and they manage to beat the best, then why don't random scrubs now just pick the character they would upset the best with in a non-MK enviroment as a counterpick?

Still bad wording. I just don't think an influx of characters will upset the top placing players at all. They're top for a reson.

Shockna

Smash Cadet
No matter the influx of the characters, I still see most of the top players winning. It's their job to know their bad matchups, and since they're the top players, I doubt they'd lose to just any influx of character. For example, ADHD. I heard somewhere Jiggly beats Diddy (In this one counterpick thread, where you get more points if you win using low tiers. It's old. Maybe the Diddy main just didn't like the MU idk this is just for an example) so let's just say MK ***** Jiggly. Which he probably does. So a lot more Jigglies pop up. ADHD is far better then the average player of the Jiggly influx, so shouldn't he be able to beat them? If not, then the MU must be really bad, so why don't people just counterpick Jiggs against him? If an influx of characters played by average people is able to upset the balance of the top players, then shouldn't people just be able to counterpick those characters right now?

I'm kinda wording this weird. Basically, If random scrubs who place higher cause their character sucks against MK, and they manage to beat the best, then why don't random scrubs now just pick the character they would upset the best with in a non-MK enviroment as a counterpick?

Still bad wording. I just don't think an influx of characters will upset the top placing players at all. They're top for a reson.
Whether or not it's the same people doesn't mean a whole lot; the highest of top level players obviously wouldn't change much, and even if it is the same faces, better to be 3-4 different characters than the same one half the time.

At every other competitive level though, it'd be a huge improvement, and it'd probably also bring back a lot of the people who quit due to MK.

Doc King

Smash Lord
With mk banned, the metagame can have a lot more variety. I also can see Luigi rise up because of the loss of mk and him being a good counter against Diddy Kong. I also see Ike rising because he losses his worst matchup and Zelda rising up slowly because of her really bad matchup with mk and King Dedede being a top tier again due to losing his worst matchup and doing pretty good against Marth, Wario, Snake, and Lucario.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
With MK banned, for 1 I feel Sonic would take a bit (only a bit) of a rise, because he goes 55-45 with Snake, goes 50-50 with Diddy(IIRC) (because we can use nana's better than he can due to our glidetoss,[meaning if we master usage it'd become our favor), and Falco's lasers aren't much of a big deal to a Sonic who has the matchup down. A rise in Marth would probably be likely to occur because he's most like MK. However to counter that I feel a rise in D3 would occur, and in response... etc.

I think it'd be a very interesting metagame considering every single character that isn't Metaknight has a bad matchup with *someone*.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lol what is this 2009? Sonic doesn't go even with Diddy Kong. ANd there is more to Falco than lasers.

Also Diddy doesn't have any bad matchups besides MK.
Once Diddy Kong's stop focusing on avoiding shuttle loop gimped and getting past nado, it will be clearer (thought he is a much harder character to play than MK).

Judo777

Smash Master
While I do agree that a decent amount of the top level players will still stay on top I do most definitely think there will be some players who were just on the verge of top level that will move up due to their bad character getting wrecked by MK.

Coney comes to mind immediately. Definitely the talent of a top level player however I don't feel he quite placed at the right height many times simply because D3 vs MK is LOL.

I feel that there could be a decent amount of players at that level who might bump up into a serious threat with the bane of their character gone. Maybe we will see some more Rob players jump up the placings.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ironically Ness would DROP because Marth use would spike. Its a price to pay for a playable metagame.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I knew the levels aside form top would be changed alot, but I don't really care :/ i was just saying the top wouldn't change much.

And the Jiggs thing was just an example, I don't know the MU or if it's true or w/e.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Lol what is this 2009? Sonic doesn't go even with Diddy Kong. ANd there is more to Falco than lasers.

Also Diddy doesn't have any bad matchups besides MK.
Once Diddy Kong's stop focusing on avoiding shuttle loop gimped and getting past nado, it will be clearer (thought he is a much harder character to play than MK).
Diddy Kong actually goes even with mk and has a poor matchup against Peach. :p

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not saying Diddy would be an oppressive dominating character, but please stop saying things like random mid tiers go even with Diddy. Big deal, you can float, weegee nado or spindash over bananas. There is alot more to Diddy than that.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Pit goes even with diddy :p

Peach is more than likely close to even with diddy maybe slight favor diddy.(btw no1 said cuz of float. She can pressure diddy fairly well, and turnips are hell against diddy when he's offstage)

I imagine luigi being even w/diddy as well from what i've watched and heard.

And wolf as well.

But diddy doesn't **** most of mid-tier at all. Most of em are winnable simply due to how diddy works :p

Tesh

Smash Hero
Diddy has bad stages, but likely only against aerial characters, and MK is the only good one atm. In any case, it still comes down to "strike to good diddy stage, lose game 1, cp to bad diddy stage, win and then go to good diddy stage game 3".
He doesn't win his matchups as hard as MK does, but he doesn't even arguably lose many matchups, and he still has much unused potential.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Tyrant won an MK banned tournament which proves that MK isn't broken and that top MK players are just really good.

Top Bottom