• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would the meta change if Final Smashes were legal?

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
If Final Smash attacks were made legal in competitive play, how would the meta change? Would characters who are low on the tier list but have powerful Final Smashes rise up?

Dripple

Smash Cadet
NNID
qugasl09
3DS FC
1693-5939-6738
I think it WOULD change the meta a little and I do think it might change the their list but not enough to change the way people see a charector . Mario for example is a good charector but shouldn't be passed in the ranks by a charector charector like Samus because of her final smah ( who's final smash is better in my opinion).

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I've always wondered how the meta would change if final smashes operated on a meter system like tradition supers instead of an item. Things would defenitely change a lot lol. I'd imagine the stock count per game would have to go up because of how easy it would be to kill somebody with a final smash.

In the bizarre scenario that final smashes were legal, Greninja already has a confirm into his final smash :p

:150:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I don't even want to imagine it. Nothing good really could come out of it.
Marcina's Final Smash is completely broken. It's ahrd to aim, but that's a low price to pay for a move that can instakill literally everything in the game at 0% except crouch cancelling Shield Shulk with good DI and 0.5x knockback.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
An interesting question, this.

I think the meta would lean towards those players with very strong Final Smashes. For example, :4marth:, my girl :4lucina:, and :4darkpit: have final smashes that yield OHKOs when all goes well. Most other fighters come nowhere near close to this destructive power (okay, maybe :4zelda: and :4sheik: are just in there with them).

Other than that, having Final Smashes on is adding an unnecessary amount of luck to the meta. Y'all can never tell where the smash ball will spawn; it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time and getting the colorful orb before y'all's opponent instead of outplaying the opponent. Some characters do better than others trying to pursue the Smash Ball. Let's say y'all play as :4littlemac: on FD, right? Unless the ball floats down to you, good luck going after it. Y'all will need it given his obviously **** aerial ability.

At the end of the day, Final Smashes should be left to casual players. As far as I'm concerned, most serious players ain't interested in playing Mario Party here. Yeah, just my three pennies on the subject...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Interesting thought. The unblockable ones already would be a pain to deal with. True confirms leading into the kill would also be a threat. OHKOs are fear-inducing. Others are just there. Others can be dealt with by platforming & running around to avoid. Cool thought though.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
Ness would be top tier again lol, PK Starstorm is one of the more OP Final Smashes and pretty much will take your stock from zero unless you manage to somehow avoid it plus he doesnt have to worry about getting hit out of his FS trying to set up into it because he can just use it the second he breaks the ball.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
A lot of sword characters have legit confirms into them. All of Fire Emblem would be top tier basically.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Aren't Marcina's Final Smashes extremely easy to avoid? I remember Marth's being notorious in Brawl because of this.

Also, I doubt this would change the game much if at all because Smash Balls are super rare.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nair to final smash is real. And I think on block its an actual blockstring and you die.

So....yeah

Not to mention they would get full screen landing traps.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The next Super Smash Bros. will feature a final smash meter to deal additional damage once the meter has been increased by using standard and special attacks. Taking damage doesn't count.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
I believe it would break the meta. Characters that could best position themselves to obtain the smash balls and have 1 shot moves would be the top tiers. There would be little incentive to fight someone at all when you could 1-shot them with a final smash. I think it would create and extremely campy play style and the meta would develop instantly to just playing around the final smashes with very little skirmishing in between.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I forgot about this but yeah. The meta would probably be slightly messed up. One already mentioned it, but I recall last year sometime I tried to lab a Final Smash combo that could 0-death. But. . . . . .that **** never appears. Even in a standard 2-stock 6/5 minute timer, you'll see it on average between 0-2 times. The most I've seen it personally come up is 1 if not 2 times, even no times at all. So yeah.

Other than the notion that it rarely appears in Smash 4, I forgot to mention that Shulk's Arts having damage & knockback buffs/debuffs affect his Chain Attack too. Smash art makes it cheese.

Just to put numbers, even though Without DI is awful comparison & the fact that the item never happens, I used Training Mode:

Character: Shulk
Victim: Mario
Stage: Final Destination
Position: Shulk at center stage from revival platform-drop (Shulk's Chain Attack range is huge, but they start getting launched from close to Shulk [teleporting lol])

Vanilla
w/o DI: 17%
W/ DI: 29%

Smash
w/o DI: 4%
w/ DI: 23%

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
I would really like a smash gauge that was filled by attacking as long as it could be disabled.

Top Bottom